#1 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:27 AM

I see recommendations of taking anywhere from 1gram to 3 grams of Omega 3's daily to treat anxiety.

in the bottle i have, one serving (2 soft gels) equals 2400 mgs of fish oil in which there are 720 mgs of omega 3 fatty acids which contain both EPA and DHA but doesn't give what percent of each (Sundown brand) 

my question: does the suggested dosage of 1-3 grams a day refer to the amount of fish oil in the serving/dose or is that recommended dose specific to the omega 3's within the fish oil? 

i am also frustrated that my gel caps don't indicate what % is EPA vs DHA since i've also read the ratio should be at least 60% EPA. 

any thoughts?

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:54 PM

Well, first thing I found was that according to the manufacturer, Sundown Naturals, They only make a 1400 mg Omega 3 Fish Oil. The one exception is a special line of lower concentrations they make for Rexall Drug Stores.
The manufacturer states "Our highly concentrated formula is purified to eliminate mercury, PCBs and Dioxins and allows you to receive the benefits of Fish Oil in just one softgel per day."

http://images.vitami.../L016105-RF.pdf

The 1400 mg Fish oil Contains
Mixed Natural Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Polysorbate 80 (laxative), Soybean Oil (contains phytoestrogens)..
247 DHA
643 EPA

And then all you need to know about Omega 3.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

The role of Omega 3 on mental health.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4540034/

#4 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

FH,  thanks for the link and the article, which i will check out shortly.

also, thanks for looking up the break-out of the EPA vs DHA. my math tells me that 60% EPA< which is what i am looking for

while i see they do sell the 1400 mg soft gels, my bottle has the gels containing 1200 mg of fish oil per soft gel, but the dose is 2 soft gels, hence the 2400 mgs. the amount of omega 3 contained in the fish oil in two soft gels is 720 mgs. not sure why my type isn't on the web site. they have a 1200 soft gel, but it also has vitamin D, mine doesn't have that

i see packaging of supplements changing up all the time <sigh>

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

You are completely right Brz. I couldn't find the epa/dha levels for that product. I looked everywhere. Why would they list it on one product and not on another? Who knows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users