9 replies to this topic

#1 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

My situation is different from most (as far as I've been able to read, anyway) in that I had withdrawals first, followed by an overdose, and then I came down gradually and got off completely. My Cymbalta dose was jerked around so much, at this point I don't know what caused which symptoms. The withdrawals and the overdose were mashed together in a short period of time. Despite coming down to zero, I'm still not in a normal state. 

- Last couple of weeks, very disturbing dreams before I wake up in the morning

- Still waking up too early in the morning 

- Still experiencing sleep myoclonus

- Still having muscle spasms and buzzing, electrical feelings in body

- Having brain zaps but they seem to be softening

- Some days I cry a lot

- Sometimes my heart rate still runs fast, or I have arrhythmia 

I get afraid that Cymbalta broke me, that it broke my nervous system. That these effects will be permanent. Please don't reply on this post if it's any scary information. I don't think I can take any more scary info. I need to hang on to shreds of hope that I'll get better. Some days I can feel these bits of hope, other days I can't find them at all. 

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:59 AM

Ramona,

I don't have any scary things to share.  I can only say that what you are experiencing is typical withdrawal. I know how horrible it is, but you will eventually see a good day here and there. They will become more frequent as time goes on.

In the meantime, try to get plenty of rest, drink lots of water and baby yourself as much as possible. Your body and brain take time to heal and yes, patience is the name of the game.

I still cry easily - even when exposed to something very good!  I feel that this is my brain reacting to real emotion again as the crap deadened a lot of feelings.  (The worst was sexual, but even that came back!)

Hang in there, my dear....you can do this!!

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

Oh Ramona, So glad you posted. Actually, believe it or not, you are doing alright. That is about standard for where you are in withdrawal, especially with what you have been through. It is understandable to have withdrawal symptoms but it always surprised me how strong the feeling was that I would never improve, I am damaged, this will last forever. BUT it doesn't. Once you start seeing signs of improvement, which should be in a couple weeks, you will feel like that will last forever too but things do wax and wane for a while. But hold in there. Nothing unusual with your symptoms at this point. Try to keep your mind occupied, relax as much as possible and don't over do it physically.

You will be OK. Time and patience.

God bless

#4 Sleepyhead

Sleepyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

You sure have been through a lot but at the same time seem to have tremendous resilience and ability to heal. I don't know how old you are...I turned 51 recently and now that I have some years behind me I have seen many examples (and experiencing myself) of the amazing healing ability of the human body. Yes we get hurt, broken and damaged but I have seen that by and large the human body can take a beating and works to heal itself remarkablyou well. I hope you can move forward and believe that your body will fight to heal itself.

#5 Sandyshores

Sandyshores

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:57 PM

I am over 30 days off cymbalta and seroquel.  Everything that you describe makes sense...  Fishinghat and this forum have provided me with hope.  I speak with a 16 yr experience of having been on escitalopram, citalopram, zoloft, abilify, wellbutrin, seroquel, cymbalta, pristiq, paxil.  On April 28, I decided to come off 4 years of 120 mg cymbalta and 225 seroquel. I quit my psychiatrist, antidepressants, antipsychotics and turned to Dr. Google, vitamins and the kindness of strangers.  I wanted to learn to swim in the ocean without any arms or legs.

The fact that mentally well, physically unwell people experienced horrendous side effects gave me comfort.  I have the blessing of no physical pain and used cymbalta for emotional pain.  It did not work.

This website has given me the wealth of knowledge, experience and shared pain from this crap drug.  Kindness works a treat and be kind to yourself.  I am still searching for a good therapist, good medicine and silver linings.  I truly believe there is hope!

#6 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:33 AM

SS,

Thanks so much for your update!

You seem to really have been through it all with those meds...  I'm so happy that our forum has helped you :)  That's what we are here for!

I wish you the best of luck in your search  for a new Dr. and the med that will work for you.  I have been off this crap for almost 21 months now, but after about 1 1/2 years off, I found that I was still in need of some help.  I am currently in therapy and taking Bupropion and feel better than I have in years!

Please come back and let us know how you're doing...    We're here for you anytime!

Liz 

#7 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

Thank you very much for the comments.

I am concerned about the "hyper-arousal of the brain" that all of this has caused. My brain is still over-alert (sleep trouble, jerking awake, heart rate speeding up too high when I wake up, etc.) 

I never experienced these things before Cymbalta withdrawal/subsequent overdose. 

So it is likely that my brain will calm down eventually? That my nervous system will settle down?

#8 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:34 AM

Ramona,

As the others have shared with you as well, this is normal. I know it is frustrating. you wrote "I get afraid that Cymbalta broke me, that it broke my nervous system. That these effects will be permanent" That is such a typical feeling at your stage. I am willing to bet that everyone on this forum is familiar with feeling that way. It is NOT permanent, but it is true that as time goes on the symptoms will cycle up and down as they continue to fade away. You didn't specifically say on your post if you are experiencing anxiety, but it is extremely common and a very normal part of the post cymbalta recovery. While it can linger for quite awhile, it does not last forever.

I have been off the drug for 16 months and while anxiety still comes to call,  my good days far outweigh the bad and i feel great for months at a time before i feel that familiar "A" creep back in - in my case i really do not believe it is directly from the cymbalta, but due to my own irrational thought processes that i created from some "learned behaviors". I still work through it with the coping skills I learned in therapy. In my case the Cymbalta masked the emotional pain that can come from negative thought patterns, so when I came off, it was up to me to work on that "without a net" so to speak. I don't recall why you were on the C or for how long, but we all have different goals and I don't know what yours are. 

I am 55, was on anti-D's of one kind or another for 18 years and on the C for ten I am living proof that even the older folks on it for a tremendously long period of time can get through this. 

Please take it easy on yourself. this will not last forever.

with care,

Brz

#9 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

I'm 44 years old. Was on Celexa for 11 years, then Zoloft about 2 years, then Cymbalta 2 years. Was prescribed these meds for mild depression & anxiety. At this point, I have a great therapist who has helped me see how troublesome and negative my thinking has been for pretty much all my life. 

Not feeling emotional anxiety now, but just having physical symptoms of anxiety. (Which the doctor said stems from the "fight or flight" thing...my muscles twitch and spasm, my heart wants to go too fast, my brain doesn't want to let me sleep, all signs of being in hyper-alert mode.)

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:01 PM

Classic symptoms during withdrawal as your body has to learn to control its nerves without relying on the drugs. It will recover and it will feel much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users