#1 Madison1

Madison1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • why_joining:
    To feel I'm not alone in this hell of antidepressants. Seeing others are having the same symptoms helps me to make it through each day. Hopefully my story will in turn help someone else.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

I haven't posted here in about a year but I read often. It just seemed like too much to type for awhile but I think it will help me. About 4 years ago I took Paxil and had horrible side effects and withdrawal from them. I had never taken anti depressants before that but had moved across country and was very stressed and the doctor threw them at me. I had the zaps and numbness, tingling, etc. It scared the crap out of me. I have health anxiety really bad and this didn't help at all. I was given Cymbalta. I was on it for about two years at 30mg. I had the side effects during the time I took it and if I ever forgot one it was horrible. In 2014 I had strep throat and was taking an antibiotic. I felt awful and forgot my Cymbalta for three days in a row. My hell began there! I went to my doctor crying and telling her I felt all of these symptoms because I forgot my Cymbalta....she had NO clue about Cymbalta and I was telling HER about this forum and what people were going through. She said just start taking it again but why don't you take 60mg instead? I was so stupid that I did for about 5 days. Then I went back to her a mess. Crying like crazy, I was a mess!! I couldn't function and had tingling, numbness, nausea, dizziness, etc. She said, just stop taking it for a week and then start on Prozac. I said, but you aren't supposed to just stop taking it right? She said, yes just stop and give it a week to get out of your system. What an idiot....instead I started the Prozac the next day. In my head I knew it was the meds but I couldn't help it and thought something was really wrong with me. I had multiple MRIs done, all normal of course. I'm summarizing this....it was a nightmare during that time. 

Fast forward 8 months later....I was on a cross country move (back to California) and ran out of my Prozac, didn't have a doctor established where I was and didn't plan the refills well. I, stupidly, thought oh well it was a low dosage, I should be fine. WRONG!! Within about 6-8 weeks I started having optical migraines, my foot was tingling again, bad headaches, panic attacks, head pain and pressure, my arm went numb once....I was convinced I had a brain tumor. The pressure was in my forehead and face so for a month I thought I had a sinus infection. For three months I went to doctors, ENTs, the ER like six times, Neurologist, tested for allergies, etc. I was given 16 different medicines and none helped. No pain medicine helped at all. I had a CT Scan with and without contrast, and MRI and an MRA...all from the dr to convince me I wasn't dying. I was in bed almost daily....I was miserable. My poor kids didn't have a good mom during that time. My husband was very patient but it was hard on him too. I began keeping a diary and it helps me now. I began my own research and put things together. I got the Prozac again after thinking it was Cymbalta still in my body but I didn't want to take that again. The Prozac either helps my serotonin or it masks the withdrawals of the Cymbalta, that was the conclusion I came too. In my mind I knew this but was still having anxiety and panic attacks. It took about 2 months on Prozac for the pain in my head to get better and for me to be normal again. Right before Christmastime thankfully. The pain I had mostly was pressure in my head, like a tension headache, a vise on my temples and forehead, a lot more eye floaters and an almost buzzed feeling like when you've had a little to drink. 

So....you would've thought I'd learned my lesson and stayed on Prozac but no, I thought that I would eventually be fine without it. I tapered off it but eventually stopped taking it again. Stupid me!! In about the same time frame as last year, I started having the head pressure again!! This time though I knew it wasn't a sinus infection or anything. I not only had the head symptoms but I would get SO mad and upset about things that I couldn't deal. I'd cry and get so mad I wanted to punch something which isn't like me. Instead of last time, I started my B12 again (I'm deficient) and Vit D and my Prozac. Well not right away....I thought for a bit that it was tension headaches and went to get a massage and I go weekly to my chiropractor. This didn't and doesn't help though. My doctor said to try Butterbur for my headaches. That gave me horrible heartburn. I then started the Prozac. This was on September 30th so I'm a little over 2 weeks into it. I still have the head pressure across my forehead and sinus area, sometimes in my temples. My eyes do weird things like if I move my head fast it seems to take half a second to catch up. The light kind of bothers me too. 

No doctor gets this and I feel alone in it. I have to constantly remind myself that Cymbalta screwed up my body and my brain is trying to fix itself. Nothing else makes sense. I read these forums and it makes me feel better. I try to stay busy and distracted so that helps. I've come to the conclusion that doctors don't know everything and I have to go with MY personal history, experience and common sense. I just joined a group on Facebook that I've been reading but I mostly read here. On Friday and Saturday it didn't hurt as bad but yesterday and today it does. My eyes are having trouble focusing....could be Cymbalta withdrawal or the Prozac. Either way I'm trying so hard to take it one day at a time and read here to help my anxiety. 

Thanks everyone for letting me get that info out. It really helps me. 

#2 Madison1

Madison1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • why_joining:
    To feel I'm not alone in this hell of antidepressants. Seeing others are having the same symptoms helps me to make it through each day. Hopefully my story will in turn help someone else.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:12 PM

I forgot to mention that I took Propranolol last year and it did help my head but I had to stop because I couldn't sleep. 

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:34 PM

Welcome back Madison,

You must remember Thismoment, when he said millions of times, it's about life quality. If you must be on Prozac, so be it. Better to be on meds than being a martyr the rest of your life!

I should think that this time is the right one to learn a lesson, but being human, we, well I have to hit a brick wall to understand.

You felt well on Prozac, that is great. Two weeks in, you know the drill, a few weeks more to go.

I do hope that you have something for the anxiety, it sure goes up when starting or withdrawing a antidepressant.

I love that name, Madison. So on that, just time and patience till it kicks in. Keep postingā™„

#4 Madison1

Madison1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:49 PM

Thank you Gail. I do remember Thismoment and have been re-reading posts. I even printed some and highlighted things that pertain to my symptoms so when I'm feeling anxious I can read it.

Madison was actually the name of my dog when I started all of this. I couldn't think of a username. My name is actually Jaimie.  :P

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:49 PM

I would say it is good to hear from you again Madison but you have been/are going through hell.

"I still have the head pressure across my forehead and sinus area, sometimes in my temples. My eyes do weird things like if I move my head fast it seems to take half a second to catch up. The light kind of bothers me too. "

These are classic withdrawal symptoms of an ssri or snri as are the radical mood swings. Prozac takes 6 to 8 weeks to fully kick in and you should see some significant improvement around 4 weeks.

Like Gail said, this is about quality of life. By the way, how long did you take to come off the Prozac?

#6 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:51 PM

Welcome back Madison.  I do agree with others here.  Please keep us informed on your progress.  Quality of life is living; having said that you need to do what is best for you.  Make your life as plentiful as you can. 

#7 Madison1

Madison1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

fishinghat!! I remember you very well. Thank you for replying. I appreciate all of the replies and thoughts. This isn't easy but this forum helps a lot. I hope you are all doing well too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users