• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 vanilla2005

vanilla2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

Hi, I've been off Cymbalta for 5 days now, I tapered down from 120mgs over the course of a month. About three days ago I started getting these rushes of dizziness that only last for a second or so but happen often.  I started taking fish oil two days ago. Has anyone had success with this? If so, how long did it take for the fish oil to start helping? Also, how long did your dizziness last after stopping Cymbalta? Any insight Is greatly appreciated!

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

Hello Vanilla and welcome,

Fish oil did not help me, but many swear by it. Drinking loads of water is also recommended.

I can't help you here with that matter but others will come by.

Are those your only symptoms? From 120 to zero in one month is a big step. How long were you on Cymbalta?

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:20 PM

To elaborate on what Gail said. We normally recommend a 3 to 4 month weaning. Even at that it can be hell. You might add 500 mg of vitamin C to your routine. None of these will cure the withdrawal but they sometimes help.

#4 vanilla2005

vanilla2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

My dr recommended I go down 30mgs per week for a month. I've been on Cymbalta for 3 years for panic attacks and anxiety. Cymbalta stopped working for me so I have to get off it before I can go on something else. I've had the dizziness, nausea and anxiety on and off the entire time I've been weaning off. I must say, my symptoms don't appear to be as bad as others have reported but they are still pretty terrible. I'm just wondering how long this is going to last - I've had enough already. I didn't realize this would happen, otherwise I would have thought twice about going on Cymbalta. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:50 PM

Your dr is an idiot. Dropping 30 mg a week is asking for trouble. You are one of the lucky ones I can tell you. You do NOT have to come off the Cymbalta before going on another antidepressant. For a great many of us here the dr had us do what is called cross taper. You wean off Cymbalta in 4 to 6 weeks and at the same time wean onto the new antidepressant. Very common and usually very effective. Not near the withdrawal.

#6 vanilla2005

vanilla2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:08 PM

oh my gosh! Are you serious! He told me I had to be off Cymbalta for one full week before I could start something else. I'm going back to him on Thursday and will be asking plenty of questions. Thanks for your input!

#7 vanilla2005

vanilla2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

One more follow up question: Will my withdrawal symptoms get better once I start another antidepressant?

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

Antidepressants are strange beasts. Even under normal conditions one may work for you and the next one will not. In general the answer to your question is yes BUT.....

A couple things to remember. First, it takes 4 to 8 weeks for the new antid to kick in depending on which ad you switch to. Second, try to pick one that has a longer half life then Cymbalta (12 hours). In general the longer the half life the easier t is to come off of later.

Remember, most ssri and snri have nasty withdrawal as a rule.

#9 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

oh my gosh! Are you serious! He told me I had to be off Cymbalta for one full week before I could start something else. I'm going back to him on Thursday and will be asking plenty of questions. Thanks for your input!

rule of thumb… if the prescribing doctor is not a psychiatrist, he/she knows little if nothing about psychoactive drugs.

#10 vanilla2005

vanilla2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

Great! Thanks again for your help!

#11 vanilla2005

vanilla2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:52 PM

The funny thing is that my Dr is a psychiatrist - so I fully trusted his judgment. I was completely shocked when I started feeling bad and researching Cymbalta withdrawal because he told me it shouldn't be a problem as long as I tapered off.

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:02 PM

This is straight from the drug insert from the manufacturer.

5.7 Discontinuation of Treatment with CYMBALTA

Discontinuation symptoms have been systematically evaluated in patients taking CYMBALTA. Following abrupt or
tapered discontinuation in adult placebo-controlled clinical trials, the following symptoms occurred at 1% or greater and at
a significantly higher rate in CYMBALTA-treated patients compared to those discontinuing from placebo: dizziness,
headache, nausea, diarrhea, paresthesia, irritability, vomiting, insomnia, anxiety, hyperhidrosis, and fatigue.

During marketing of other SSRIs and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors), there have been
spontaneous reports of adverse events occurring upon discontinuation of these drugs, particularly when abrupt, including
the following: dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation, dizziness, sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as electric
shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, hypomania, tinnitus, and seizures.
Although these events are generally self-limiting, some have been reported to be severe.

Patients should be monitored for these symptoms when discontinuing treatment with CYMBALTA. A gradual
reduction in the dose rather than abrupt cessation is recommended whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms occur
following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may
be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate.

#13 Thorzbaby

Thorzbaby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

I agree with god-like about that taper being too fast. Those brain whooshes are the worst for me. I ran into a wall 4 times in one tip to the bathroom.

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

Actually Thor it is fishinghat not god-like.  (lol) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users