• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 amberd77

amberd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

I am experiencing extreme nausea and even vomiting. I am in week two of going off Cymbalta. I was having suicidal thoughts, so my doctor put me on Welbutrin. I was ok the first week, a little dizzy. Now I cannot eat without losing it all. Also, the early part of my day seems fine,but afternoon and evening is worse. Much worse! Anyone experience that? What supplements can I take to help? I am about to start college soon and I will be taking evening classes. I will not be able to concentrate like this. Typing this is a struggle right now. I gained 50 pounds over 5 years of taking Cymbalta, so not eating is bound to make me lose a few pounds, but I am so sick! Any advice or shared experience is welcome. Thank you.

#2 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

Hi Amber

What dose were you on and how long did you take to taper off?

You can try ginger ale or ginger tea for the nausea or get someone to get you some anti nausea med from the Pharmacy. Stay as hydrated as you can. I know this can be hard right now but it does help.

Anything else I would suggest really depends on what dose you were on and the taper schedule.

Nancy

#3 amberd77

amberd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

I was on 60mg for 5 years. I tapered off for a month, then stopped two weeks ago. Its been the worst this last week. I tried ginger tea, but it only gave me indigestion on top of it all. My stomach is a wreck.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

Normally we recommend a two to three month taper. Even so it can be rough. There are no secrets to making it easier although 500 mg vitamin C, 3000 mg omega 3 and hydration helps. Under normal conditions you would have about 2 months left of this hell until you even started to show improvement...BUT everyone is different. Lucky for you that the dr has started you on Wellbutrin. It takes 4 weeks for the Wellbutrin to start to have a consistent effect and 8 weeks for it to fully kick in. You have a few rough weeks ahead but hang in there it does end. Now that you are on the Wellbutrin are you still having suicidal thoughts?

#5 amberd77

amberd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:54 PM

No, in fact I am happier than I have felt in a very long time. I already notice that my hot flashes are going away and my sex drive has improved. Those were side effects of being on Cymbalta that I hated, in addition to the steady weight gain. I am really suffering tonight. I am one if those just "rip the bandaid off" kind of people though. I have really wanted to get off of this for some time, but the depression became too great. I had to do something. I just want to do it and get it over with. I will get the supplements tomorrow. It cannot hurt to try. I just want to keep a meal down. Thank you for the support. I am not one to get on sites like this, but I am suffering so much. I need the support from those who understand.

#6 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:08 AM

You have definitely come to the right place for some understanding.

I did a slightly longer taper than you did but not much.

Hang in there it does get better and the nausea doesn't last too long.

Take care of you

Nancy

#7 DebMorris

DebMorris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:47 AM

I am going on my 5th week off of this crap & still have bad days. Mine is mostly crying.  My dr prescribed me Wellbutrin also but I haven't taken it yet.  I am at this point scared to take anything because of how bad I have been feeling.  It is good to know that it has made you feel better except for the nausea & vomiting.  I have a feeling that I will soon have to get on it but want to get to my 6th week.  My mood swings are unbearable. 

#8 amberd77

amberd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

I started the Welbutrin for two weeks before I went off of Cymbalta. I was up most of the night sick. Today I have diarrhea. This is terrible. I would definitely start the Welbutrin if you can. I think it is keeping me mentally stable through this. I have mot had the crying or mood swings, just terrible dizziness and nausea. I had some relief with peppermint oil rubbed on my stomach last night. It was about 1:00am when I finally was able to sleep. Thank goodness I found you all. It helps knowing I am not alone. I found myself really angry over this last night. My doctor never believed the Cymbalta had anything to do with my weight gain, and didnt think coming off would be hard. He has not heard of it being so hard. The internet is exploding with sufferers, so that many people cannot be wrong. Every person I know or have talked to had bad effects. I just hope it ends soon. I have about a month before classes start for Spring Semester. I work full time, am a wife, and mother. I recently decided to go back to school. I need this over by the time I take that on!

#9 DebMorris

DebMorris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:34 AM

You are doing pretty good then if you are still working & going to school.  I have been off work since June dealing with this.  In June I was taken off Cymbalta & put on Zoloft without being weaned & I ended up in the Hospital for 3 days.  Then was put back on the crap & haven't been right since.  I finally told my dr that I wanted off & she put me on a new drug called Brintellex which did not go good at all & after having a breakdown at my mom's on Thanksgiving I was done. She then prescribed me Wellbutrin but with all my trouble I am having I am just scared to try it. I know all these effects are going to pass but some days are sooooo hard & I just want to feel good.  I to am glad I found this site!!!! 

#10 amberd77

amberd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

Goodness, no wonder you are hesitant. It has definitely affected my work. I'm only subbing right now and my afternoons are terrible with nausea.I try to pretend it isn't there, but it is growing more and more difficult this week.

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Imodium works well for the diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. At least it will give you a break. Remember to stay well hydrated.

#12 amberd77

amberd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

Perfect, thank you!

#13 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:11 AM

Hi Amber and Welcome!

So happy that you have found us!

It will be 2 years on Jan 10 that I have been off this poison and I went cold turkey off of 60mg after being on it for over 4 1/2 years. Not a wise decision!  All of 2014 put me through hell.

In May of this year (almost 1 1/2 years off) my PCP put me on Wellbutrin because I was still having problems.  It took about 2 months to fully kick in but I feel better than I have in a long time!  Please try it!

I wish you the best and please keep us posted.  We're here for you!  Any questions, please ask.

Liz

#14 amberd77

amberd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

Thank you so much.

#15 DebMorris

DebMorris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

TringinFL,

I will most likely do the Wellbutrin but of course my Dr did not tell me that I can't take Trazadone w/it, I found that out doing my own research. So FH has a weaning process off Trazadone when I start my Wellbutrin.  Gotta love DR's!!!!  It's really funny how you have these roller coaster rides on this crap.  Today my mind feels like the fog has lifted a little.  But it does help that my husband tells me every morning that I got to be strong & fight this battle!!!

#16 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:43 AM

Hi Deb!

I realize that we are all different, but I take Trazodone (50mg) every nite!

#17 amberd77

amberd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:54 AM

I was on trazadone for a short period of time with Cymbalta, to help me sleep.

#18 DebMorris

DebMorris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:56 AM

I was put on it in June when I was in the hospital.  I take 150 mg's at nite now. 

#19 WendyK

WendyK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Want to get off the meds and have found hope in reading the posts here.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

Hello,

I have been of Cymbalta for over 6 weeks now on a long tapering process. I have recently been sick. Very bad sick with diarrhea and such. I thought maybe it started as a really bad stomach bug, but in 2 weeks it hasn't gotten that much better. I am right now trying to keep myself calm this weekend while waiting for Gallbladder ultrasound/hydra scope results that I won't get until Monday.

I have to be honest and say that all of this is making my anxiety go through the roof. I have not been able to function and have missed most of work these last 2 weeks. A lot of you here mentioned Welbutrin. I really don't want to get back on a medicine after all the hard work coming off of Cymbalta. So, my question is...is it worth it? Being on Welbutrin? Do you know if it is something that will be difficult to come off of in the future? Has it helped that much with some of you?

I am really iffy about getting on another med.

Hang in there Amberd77. I know I am trying myself. I hate saying this, but it helps to know you are not alone.

Wendy

#20 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

Hi Wendy

I have been taking Wellbutrin since May when I was almost 1 1/2 yrs off the poison drug.  I couldn't seem to get it together even after all of that time.

It will be 2 yrs off on Jan 10 - cold turkey to boot! 

I intend to continue the Wellbutrin - as one of our favorite members, this moment, said often:  Quality of life is what matters

I hope that your test results are positive - you are doing well by trying to stay calm.  Please keep us posted - we are always here for you

Liz :hug:

#21 DebMorris

DebMorris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:07 PM

Hi Wendy K,

I am so sorry you are having problems but you are in good hands here.  I am on my 5th week off & have been struggling with every symptom there is.  I to have  diarrhea & have had it this entire time my new symptom is bad headache on right side.  I have had every test done that you can think of & all come back fine.  I had my gallbladder removed years ago due to stomach issues & of course it helped the issues but now I got other ones due to this horrible poison I took for 10 yrs.  I am not sure how much more I can take of this & thinking of taking my Wellbutrin.  I am just really scared with all that I have been through that its not going to help, but I have got to start somewhere. I hope all is good with your results, please keep us updated.

#22 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:06 PM

Hello,

Just my two cents here. Wellbutrin is like candy compared to any SSRI and SNRI!

I would not hesitate to try it if it came to that.

I look at Liz, and she is quite stable on it. You have to try it to know, it can't be worse than what you are going through. Well perhaps at the beginning and then, who knows?

#23 amberd77

amberd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:26 PM

Ladies, I am sorry if this is TMI. I will call my doctor on Monday if this persist through tomorrow. Some of you have said you have had diarrhea. Mine started Thursday. Tonight it is black. Like, BLACK. I have always heard black means blood is in it. I have been drinking pepto since yesterday. Wondering if it has anything to do with it, but now I am worried. On the bright side, less dizziness and nausea today.I actually ate soup and it stayed down.

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

Hey Amber, I was a pepto junky when my irritable bowel first started. It WILL turn your stools very black. In high doses it can also cause tinnitus (ringing in the ear).

#25 Dl83

Dl83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:50 PM

Hello All,

i'm half way through week 4 and I throwing up constantly, for almost 2.5weeks. No anti-naus. meds are working. I've been on Welbutrin for a over a month, but the withdrawal from Cymbalta has over shadowed any positive effects. Is it going to end? Three weeks straight of nausea and vomitting three times a day, after  the first week of mental breakdowns; I'm starting to lose my mind. I take ginger, anti acid reflux meds, I even try smoking m********, but nothing is working. Help.

Dave

#26 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

Well Dave. 6 to 8 weeks for the Wellbutrin to kick ion so hold on a little longer. On the acid reflux med be sure it isn't omeprazole as it interfers with medicine uptake. Drs usually recommend Zantac when a patient is on an ssri or snri.  With 5 weeks off the Cymbalta you probably have another 1 1/2 to 2 months before you start seeing small improvements in the withdrawal. On the other hand the Wellbutrin should start up in a couple weeks. I know it is tough but just hang in there a little longer.

#27 Dl83

Dl83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:14 PM

God, I'm angry. I just wrote a huge message, and like everything right now, something went wrong, and I lost it all. In point form:

1. I've been on Welbutrin for over two months, nothing.

2. Fighting a cold now because my immune system is weak from constant vomiting.

3. If I'm to believe the throwing up is going to last another three, or more weeks, I may go to a hospital, because I would surely pass out.

4. I will check on switching my anti acid because it is omeprazole. 

5. How is it possible that they prescribe me the heaviest, most expensive anti-nauseants and I'm still getting sick?!

6. I appologize for my grammar, but like most things right now, I could care less.

D.

#28 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:14 PM

Well if the Wellbutrin hasn't helped by now it probably won't. Unluckily this is common with antidepressants.

I am also surprised that the prescription meds aren't controlling your digestive issues. I am going to ask a dumb question. Did you try pepto. It actually worked great for me. Be aware that it can turn your stools black and too many doses can cause ringing in the ears. It can be taken with your prescription medicine BUt as it coats your stomach wall it should not be taken within 1 hour of taking a prescription med. These ssri and snri not only control serotonin in the brain but also in the digestive tract where it makes up 80% of the neurotransmitters. Once you are off the Cymbalta these nerves become out of control until they adapt, This can lead to serious digestive issues. It has been shown that drinking warm water helps alleviate nausea and vomiting as well. Anything cold can make it worse.

I wish I could be of more help.

#29 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

Hey there Dave

Just for my own curiosity I decided to look up the side effects of Wellbutrin  and a common side effect is nausea and a rare side effect is throwing up,

I think it is time to rethink taking Wellbutrin in your case. For some these side effects do go away but since you have been on it for over two months I don't think they are going to so talk to your doctor or pharmacist about how to get off it.

I did find this information on a few drug info sites so this is known information

Take care of you

Nancy

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

Good catch Lady Nancy

FDA says that nearly 4% of the people taking Wellbutrin report nausea and vomiting as a side effect.

Don't you just love wonder drugs?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users