14 replies to this topic

#1 Skitzzilicious

Skitzzilicious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

Well my first ever post, not really sure what to say.. Lol!

I've been on all sorts of medication for Anxiety and Bipolar over the last 10 years. I found that they usually only work for the first few months if that. It honestly feels like you're going around in circles. I've been on Cymbalta since before having my second child, just over two years ago. Started at 30mg and ended up at 120mg a day.

I stopped taking it because I felt like a zombie, I wasn't myself. I wasn't happy, just felt weird.. like I wasn't human. I slept constantly. I'd go to bed at 10pm and sleep until 3pm the next day then still be tired. My bed was my happy place, I would lay in it most of the day doing nothing because I felt comfortable. I didn't want to go out anywhere, I didn't want to take the kids to school. My partner was starting to feel the pressure too. 

Getting off it was one of the hardest things. I've tried since I was on it for two months. I always relapsed and ended up lashing out at everyone and everything. I finally feel like I'm strong enough to fully quit now.. So far so good :)

To be honest, when I was taking it, I felt good. I wasn't as angry or hypo as I was before, but it didn't really help with the "depressing" side of it. Since I've stopped taking it, 5 days ago I've been less depressed. I was warned about the suicide thoughts and likely ending up in a psych ward (which hasn't happened..yet) so I'm pretty happy with that. Haha!

I feel pretty happy with myself, although I've snapped a few times. My withdrawal symptoms so far are hot flushes, cramping and brain zaps. Occasionally I get irritated, but nothing compared to what I did even when taking the medication.

If I could go back and find another way of dealing with it, other than medication I would.

I guess all i can really say is, never give up, giving up..

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

Hello and welcome Skitz,

Well, I guess that you have read everywhere that cold turkey is a no no, dangerous and not recommended at all. We are speaking of 120mg here, you have no idea what transformation your brain went through and how it's going take time to rewire.

Unless you are not informed about all this, I apologize.

You sound positive about this, I am trying not to yell " Don't do it that you way, please"

Others will chime in, I know that you did not ask our point of view but just said you were doing it. Sorry, I had to.

#3 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hi Skitzzolicious - can i call you Skitz? you can call me Brz.

welcome! sounds like you have a good head about what you are going through. no doubt physical and mental symptoms can be cyclic once you come off the C , as well as other psychoactive drugs, so if something new rears its head, you'll know why. did you stop all at once, cold turkey, or did you wean off? you said that you'v been on the C since before having your second child, 2 years ago. i gather that you've tried coming off for the past couple months but now you feel stronger and "so far so good." i hope its not cold turkey and that you are or will consider a tapering method such as bead counting. if you want help with that let us know.

i went cold turkey after a quasi taper and its been very rough. in my case i actually took some very hefty drops all at once with barely any impact - 120 to 90, a year later 90 to 60, then about a year after that 60-30. no problems. almost a year after that i halved my 30's to 15 by pouring out half the beads - did that for a couple weeks. then did 15 every other day for another 10 days give/take. then off.  my doc thought i could do 30 every other day for 2 weeks and be off it - but as you've probably learned yourself and on this forum, most docs are not properly trained in weaning patients off anti-d's and other psychoactive drugs. that's when all hell broke loose: nausea, got the runs, serious aches and pains, neuropathy in my extremities and extreme anxiety. physical stuff took about 6 months to go away - but 19 months later,  the anxiety remains although i've learned how to get that well under control. i quit due to the side effects of the C, i gained over 20 pounds on anti-d's in spite of a good diet. two months of quitting the C had lost 25. i had high BP, high cholesterol, serious acid reflux, extreme fatigue (although i managed to remain active), chronic UTI's and more. all of it vanished once i was off for several months and has not returned. depression has not returned except as a mild and very occasional by product of the anxiety. 

all the best and keep in touch!

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:46 PM

The people above are right. Cold turkey can be hell. Most of us suggest bead counting. Open one capsule, pour out the beads and count them (usually around 200 or 300, and remove 3 beads more each day. So remove 3 beans the first day and 6 the next, etc. The withdrawal can still be rough but you do have better control over it. And many take up to 1 year to come off so that they can try to keep working and/or taking care of their children.

#5 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:53 PM

Bead counting was the ONLY way that I was able to get off this nasty poison...Even for me at dropping only 1 bead per day I still had to journey through hell. But after 4 long months was finally off the drug. The folks here are so helpful as they have made this journey. Take care and let us know how you're doing. Prayers for you from TheEquusWoman :hug:

#6 Jud26

Jud26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:40 AM

I'm new here, but I feel almost as if I know each of you because we are living through this same hell of Cymbalta withdrawal.

I only took Cymbalta regularly for about 6 weeks - went from 30mg up to 90, and then started tapering off due to bad side effects. I went down from 90 to 60, then 2 weeks later down to 30mg. Tried to quit and got the withdrawal symptoms of brain zaps, dizziness, bawling, etc. So I went back on 30mg, then a week later started opening the capsule and discarding part of the beads....... I just saw the doctor at Urgent Care tonight, because over the last month, since I started taking the beads with applesauce, I have had esophageal pain, chest tightness, swollen and tingling tongue and coughing. I just saw the Urgent Care doctor tonight thinking that my asthma had flared up, but my lungs are clear, heart is fine.
Has anyone had this type of problems? Doctor said it could be reflux, but it doesn't feel like it. I was taking 15 beads per day, but quit totally 2 days ago due to these symptoms really being bad.
Not looking forward to how long these brain zaps and the dizziness may last.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

Welcome Jud

The only thing I can think of is that Cymbalta is hydrophobic (does not dissolve in water and water will actually bead up on Cymbalta beads). Applesauce is a water based food obviously. As you swallow it the beads may be sticking to the sides of your throat, the coating dissolves (temperature sensitive) and the Cymbalta I spaced in direct contact with the throat tissue irritating it. Many medicines are packed in the HCl for (short for hydrochloric acid) so they will dissolve in the stomach easily (the stomach contains HCl). If this is the case with Cymbalta it could explain the throat irritation. I will check on the form it uses.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

Well Jud it is in the acid form. The manufacturer states in the drug insert.... "Do not chew or crush. Do not open the capsule and sprinkle its contents on food or mix with liquids. All of these might affect the enteric coating."  So my guess is that the beads stick in your throat, the coating dissolves and the acid irritates the throat. Most of us here would just put the beads back in the capsule and take it that way.

#9 Jud26

Jud26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:14 PM

Thank you fishinghat for your research. I was unable to find empty capsules, so I would open the capsule and take some of the beads with applesauce one day, then the next day would have the partially-filled capsule to take. So it was every other day I took some beads in applesauce.
But then the last few days when I was down to 15 beads, I was just taking them with applesauce and lots of water so I wasn't wasting the rest of the beads every day. I have no one to blame but myself.

This is just miserable!! I'm totally done taking this poison, and will have to just deal with the withdrawal symptoms.
I was thankful that the Urgent Care doctor was very understanding of what withdrawal can do to a person - he even brought up the terms "brain zaps" and "gooseflesh" when talking about the symptoms.

As if I needed any more miserable symptoms on top of my fibromyalgia and chronic back pain that is out of control :-(

But, today the sun is actually shining for the first time in about a month, so I will be grateful for the little boost it gives me, and try to stay positive.

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

Hey Jud, as soon as you are done washing down the beads with water take a tablespoon of liquid antacid such as Mylanta. It will neutralize any acid residue in your throat.

#11 Skitzzilicious

Skitzzilicious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:30 PM

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. I haven't had access to my computer.

I ended up going cold turkey this time. It was hard for the first two weeks, but I'm feeling a lot better. I feel happier and healthier. Although I still get the occasional

hot flushes and brain zaps. Coming off Cymbalta is the best decision I've made (health wise) it's just not worth it. If I could stop anyone from taking it, I would.

I spoke to my doctor last week, and apparently I'm not out of the woods yet. It could take months, even a year to fully get back to "normal" whatever that is.. lol!

I'm just trying to stay positive about things. I feel less anxious now as well, which I was not expecting, but it is a good feeling to be able to get out more.

Thanks everyone for your comments, if you like, you could send me a friend request.

To all the new people, welcome. (:

I will try to be on more often to answer any more questions, even just have a chat. etc..

#12 Skitzzilicious

Skitzzilicious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:36 PM

I was thinking about bead counting, but decided I just had to get it over and done with. Even if It was going to be a hard road

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:32 AM

It sounds like your ride has been fairly good so far compared to others. I am glad. Hang in there and keep us posted.

#14 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:12 AM

Hi, glad that you are having an easy one. That is a rare thing.

Good for you Skitz. Keep us posted as this will be encouraging for the newbies.

#15 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

Skitz,

all the best! i understand how you feel about the rip-the-band-aid off approach, however it could get rough. then again, you could be one of the fortunate ones who don't get hit with the onslaught of withdrawal symptoms. it seems you are well aware of the risks and have a doctor that has your back!

good luck and keep us posted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users