8 replies to this topic

#1 GannaG

GannaG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:32 PM

Hi,

I am new here and glad to know I am not losing my mind. I was on 90 mg of this poison for over a year. My Dr dropped me to 0 in 20 days time. Well NOW I know that was entirely to fast and have been off it for a week. She tried to give me Amitriptyline (sp) but I couldn't tolerate it, or was it the withdrawal?

I have Fibro, CFS, PTSD, Sever depression and anxiety and lots of other crap that comes with FM. Currently my Dr has referred me to psychiatry and I am only taking tramadol for pain and xanax at bed time to sleep. No replacement or help for the cymbalta. I definitely have headache, nausea, zaps, hot/cold issues, irritability to anger swings and on an on it goes as you all well know.

My family, my insurance company - Think I should go to an inpatient center to get more immediate help. No Psych appts available for at least 2 weeks. Is it worth it? Can they help? I go back and forth because the ER wasn't able to do crap so why it that any different? My brain can't wrap around why it would be.

I realize you all aren't Dr's but I'm finding those that have lived it have FAR more knowledge than most medical pros. Any input would be HUGELY appreciated.

Ganna

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

Welcome Ganna!

Glad you found us - we will give you all the support and info to hopefully help you out here...

First, if you have only been off the poison for a week, try going back up to the 20 - were you stable there (no symptoms?)  If not, move up a bit until you are stable.  You can come off this by using a method called "Bead Counting"  - You will find this under the topic "Are You New Here?" and the post is Bead Counting - How to Do It.  This method will keep the withdrawal to a minimum and you are in control.

Please check this out and come back with any questions you may have.  Just an FYI, psychiatrists only want to push drugs.  If you feel that therapy would be helpful, please seek out a psychologist - they do not prescribe drugs.

I went cold turkey off of 60mg in Jan. of 2014 so I understand where you are - you DON'T want to do this!  I also have fibro and OA and have found other safer alternatives. 

Please keep us updated - we're here for you!

Liz

#3 GannaG

GannaG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

Hi  Liz,

I am in FL too. Insurance talked about going back on and that scares the hell out of me. I haven't been comfortable since the first drop. In other words it all started right away.

I read about bead counting and thought well why isn't my Dr aware of all this?? You're right I don't want to do this and now you have me thinking. Maybe I should go back to my 90 or try 60 first until I get an appt and can talk to someone about this. UGH!

This is far from what I expected in changing meds.

#4 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

Ganna,

You are correct - the majority of the "Godly" doctors know nothing about this.  They only know what the drug reps tell them.  Your asshat Dr. has no idea what is going on - NOONE should drop that quickly!  Now you know why... The half life of this crap is only 12 hrs, so after that you are already going into withdrawal.

I would tend to agree with going back on 60 - take it now and I will bet that you will begin to feel better soon.  If it is bearable don't go up any more - if not, go up a little bit.  When you are stable you can begin the bead counting.  We had one member who could only go down 1 bead a day, but she made it!  You can do this!

#5 GannaG

GannaG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:28 PM

Liz,

Not sure who is more grateful I found you all right now, Me or my poor hubby. I have put him through it in the last few weeks. Going to take a 60, very scared but hopeful. Big deep breath right?

Once my brain feels "okay" I will re-read that thread, at the moment it felt like wow! I just can't comprehend it yet. Yeah I know y'all get it.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

TFL has been right on. You should definitely consider going back on 60 mg of the Cymbalta and stay there until stable and then bead count.

Your dr is an idiot. Even the manufacturer does not recommend stopping that fast. I would recommend the bead counting first but an alternative is to cross taper to something like Zoloft, Lexapro or Prozac. What the drs normally do id to stop the Cymbalta gradually over a 4 or 5 week period while at the same time going on one of the three meds I just mentioned. Once stable on the new med then you wean off of it, Those three meds have less of a bite to their withdrawal. They still aren't fun but easier than Cymbalta. Try bead counting first though.

A in treatment program has usually meet with poor results for most of our members. They typically take you off EVERYTHING, let you suffer for a while and then put you on a benzo and send you home. A precaution - I would strongly suggest not going on a benzo. They are very addictive and in a short time. Your body becomes tolerant to them in a few weeks and the dose has to then be increased. Their withdrawal is tough as well.

If you see a psychiatrist for med help you might suggest clonidine and/or hydroxyzine. Neither have withdrawal and do help with the symptoms. They are not a cure but will give some relief.

Keep us posted Ganna and welcome to the site.

#7 GannaG

GannaG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

Thanks FH.

I went and took a 60, not expecting a miracle feel better right now but hopefully soon-ish.

Will be looking for a psychiatrist and figuring out bead counting once I feel stable. Dr gave me hydroxyzine for anxiety and sleep and it wires me where I can't sleep. I guess that is part of the challenge with me I'm super sensitive, even opiate based pain meds wire me up. I can't take my tramadol past 2 pm if I want to sleep.

so plan is..

1 - psychiatrist (Noted no Benzo, ask about Zoloft, Lexapro or Prozac - bead counting preferred)

2- bead count when stable.

Thanks all I'm certain you are helping me save my sanity and much much more.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

Sounds like a good plan. That does occasionally happen with the hydroxyzine but unusual. Keep the clonidine in the back of your mind also.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#9 GannaG

GannaG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

Well taking it is definitely clearing things up. Still some headache and tummy issues but feel some better. Looking around at the health food stores for capsules for the bead counting. About ready to tackle that task.  Still VERY grateful for you all and the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users