#1 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

Hey everyone.

I was browsing the forum and read that cymbalta is stored in fat cells? I had no idea.

So that made me think, if I were to lose a large % of my body fat, would that help the withdrawal process speed up?

My goals have been strength related so I never paid attention to extra body fat.

But, if it will help speed everything up, I'm willing to make some changes and start losing weight.

Because of the withdrawal sympoms, I've already lost 20 pounds unintentionally.

Just brainstorming.

Thanks.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:37 AM

It is my opinion, for what it is worth, that losing wait during the process would release more Cymbalta into the system which would keep the blood levels of Cymbalta from dropping as much and that is OK BUT when you get down to a low dose of Cymbalta and lower weight the impact of a drop in dosage would be a lot more significant. When you get down to 5 or 10 mg (about) you might have to slow your drop rate a lot. I mean a lot. I have noticed that overweight people seem to take longer to get off the med and the fat stored Cymbalta may be the reason why. just my thoughts.

#3 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

It is my opinion, for what it is worth, that losing wait during the process would release more Cymbalta into the system which would keep the blood levels of Cymbalta from dropping as much and that is OK BUT when you get down to a low dose of Cymbalta and lower weight the impact of a drop in dosage would be a lot more significant. When you get down to 5 or 10 mg (about) you might have to slow your drop rate a lot. I mean a lot. I have noticed that overweight people seem to take longer to get off the med and the fat stored Cymbalta may be the reason why. just my thoughts.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I forgot to mention about the cymbalta. I've been off of it for about 10 weeks now. (I stopped in middle of January). So with that in mind, do you think losing some body fat would help or hurt?

Sorry, I'm kinda confused. From reading the post you said losing fat would get the medicine into the system. Would the make you feel better or worse?

Or should I just leave it alone and stay where I am now with my weight?

Thanks.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:26 PM

There is know way to tell how much Cymbalta is in your fat and it is going to come out of the fat into your system anyway just a little faster if you diet. I would assume it would add to your withdrawal some so my suggestion is to wait for your withdrawal symptoms are under check. By that time the Cymbalta should have diffused out of your fat and you can focus on losing weight.

This is just an educated guess but I hope it helps.

#5 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

I am glad that someone brought this up, because I was getting ready to do the same thing.  Around the time I was put on this sinful drug I had been working hard to lose weight. I went from slightly over 300 lbs to balancing between 230 and 240. Then all hell broke loose and I ended up back to slightly over 300 again.  While I have lost a tiny bit of weight it is not near enough. I gained so much because I didn't want to work out anymore.  I for one need to lose weight in order to be healthy.  I wear a C-Pap at night due to sleep apnea and I still breath heavily when I go to bed. My husband has recently told me that he worries about me. He is scared I am not going to wake up one morning. He nudges me in the mornings to wake me up and if I don't respond soon enough it scares him that it's finally happened. I can't let that happen, I have put him and my children through too much hell already. I hope you can say hell on here, if not then I am sorry it won't happen again.  But being new here myself I would have to say this Turbo. I would judge whether losing weight would help by how much you have gained and if it can wait until your symptoms taper a little more. But for me I have to say that if I don't then it might not matter how much of it still in my system anymore. I'm sorry but I had to get that off my chest.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:59 PM

Good point Raven. Hang in there once I became stable (had to use some Zoloft) and got half way off the benzos I felt strong enough to handle loosing some weight. I lost 54 lbs and it really helped me physically and mentally. It is just so hard to fight too many demons at once. And you know where demons come from.....hell.   lol

#7 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

Hi Raven,

I had gained 30 pounds on this poison, but after being off a few months, the weight just seemed to drop.  I have now lost all of it.  (I didn't work out :() Have fibro and some arthritis issues that are helped by therapeutic massage and acupuncture, but that's me...

Hang in there, girl - I know how awful it is - I spent a year in cold turkey withdrawal.  Yes, unfortunately it took me that long - not to say it is the same for everyone.

You are fortunate to have such a caring husband! :)

Liz

#8 Alj268

Alj268

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

I had no idea the drug was stored in the fat cells. I too have gained 30 lbs and can't seem to lose no matter what I do. Since I am starting the slow withdrawal, hopefully it will start to drop off.

#9 Alj268

Alj268

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:59 PM

That said, my doctor started me on Contrave to replace the Cymbalta.

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:06 PM

Contrave is a weight loss pill and does not treat depression or anxiety that I know of.

#11 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

Good point Raven. Hang in there once I became stable (had to use some Zoloft) and got half way off the benzos I felt strong enough to handle loosing some weight. I lost 54 lbs and it really helped me physically and mentally. It is just so hard to fight too many demons at once. And you know where demons come from.....hell.   lol

LOL! Yes, FH they do come from hell as well as this drug did.

#12 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

I'm sure I've lost at least 15 if not more. Having a colonoscopy today. The cleanse has been horrible. Woke up this morning feeling horrible. Body aches and severe anxiety. Is the weight loss making my symptoms worse? I've tried to just eat really healthy since the start of this. Some days my appetite is not there so I just force. I know it's about patriece but I don't know how much more I can take. Help..uggg!

#13 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

Hi BB,

Good luck with your "fun" procedure today... :(

I don't think losing weight has anything to do with bad effects - at least it didn't for me.  I understand about the appetite and to this day, I don't have much of one.  I certainly did lose all of the 30 lbs I had gained but am currently losing a lb a week, so am trying to force myself too :unsure: Can't afford to lose any more

#14 BobbieBoop

BobbieBoop

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:32 AM

Is the appetite do the the effect the cymbalta has on the brain? Is so will it go away?

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

It really depends on if the type of waste loss. If  it is fat tissue only it could contribute to the withdrawal. Cymbalta is fat soluble and it has been shown to build up in fat tissue. I would think that as you loose weight that Cymbalta would/could come out of the fat tissue and into the blood stream. Some researchers believe that this Cymbalta replaces the Cymbalta lost by tapering but others believe it would jack you levels up and down.

By the way doing the cleanse out before a colonoscopy can be an ordeal. I have had several. and have found the use of Isopure low carb drinks a big help. They come in fruit flavors and are high protein and many are CLEAR. A little white grape juice with it supplies the necessary carbs. I have to do a 3 day clean out and it sure is a life saver. I drink one bottle at each meal with a 1/2 cup of white grape juice. If a snack is I just have a little grape juice. I would note that its electrolyte content is a little low for someone at risk of dehydration so I get a small bottle of electrolyte from my health food store and a few drops to each meal.

#16 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:49 PM

Is it possible that your body wants the Cymbalta so badly that it attacks and breaks down the fat cells in order to withdraw the Cymbalta?  If this is true, one of our members with computer ability should be able to publish an excellent cartoon.. . (not me).

I know it's not funny, but it is a weird image.  I need to lose 30 lb., so I hope my fat cells dissolve as quickly as possible.  I can adjust my withdrawal based on the amount of weight I lose (if and when I actually start losing weight).

Trying to provide a little comic relief while staying ON topic.

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

Actually you are not far from the truth BB. As your blood levels slowly drops in Cymbalta concentration the Cymbalta in your fat tissue moves into the blood by a process called diffusion. It is just like putting salt into a glass of water. At first the salt just sets on the bottom of the glass but with time it slowly moves into solution by a process called diffusion. (to move from an area of high concentration to an area of lower concentration.

#18 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:27 AM

Hey everyone.
I was browsing the forum and read that cymbalta is stored in fat cells? I had no idea.
So that made me think, if I were to lose a large % of my body fat, would that help the withdrawal process speed up?
My goals have been strength related so I never paid attention to extra body fat.
But, if it will help speed everything up, I'm willing to make some changes and start losing weight.
Because of the withdrawal sympoms, I've already lost 20 pounds unintentionally.
Just brainstorming.
Thanks.

Interesting subject! So, it's back up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users