3 replies to this topic

#1 Angelface

Angelface

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • why_joining:
    Deciding to withdraw from Cymbalta after fast and furious unexplained weight gain and more importantly elevated TSH level and fatigue. Was on 120 mg

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

I am a 39 year old woman who has had migraines since puberty and possibly before. I started Cymbalta about a year and a half ago if memory serves correct (which often it does not, thanks to Cymbalta). It was slow progress. I started at 20 and slowly worked up to 60. I had no side effects going on and immediately saw a reaction in my neck pain, the duration and severity of my migraines, and an increase in energy and positive mood.

My doctors suggested I increase my dose to see if I could get even more relief from pain and so eventually i found myself on 120 mg. It seemed like a MIRACLE. My migraines were down from 3 to one to two days. They were completely manageable with pain meds where as before they responded to nothing. 

But about two months ago... I started noticing weight gain that seemed weird. I have always been a very thin person. This was 20 lbs of what felt like soft tissue. Meanwhile I was exercising more that I had ever had a week. 6-7 days a week of intense Pointe work (ballet). I started having trouble making it through the lesson. I was short of breath. I woke up exhausted every morning.  I went and had my blood tested thinking I was anemic. Turned out my TSH was up to 3.8 having always alternated between 1.4-2.5 this seemed odd. 

I decided to go off of the Cymbalta. I have been weaning 20 mg a week. After the first drop to 100, I felt great!! The second drop to 80, not so great. Although I was already losing weight. This week I a down to 60 and I have had a migraine for 4 days and horrible neck pain. I have lost 8 lbs in two weeks and that soft layer is gone.  

i am wondering if maybe i should re think going completely off and go back up to 100, see how my thyroid reacts etc because I cannot take this pain.  I am killing my liver with all the pain meds anyway.

stories, advice??

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:16 PM

Welcome Angelface

TSH problems are common with Cymbalta (as well as other ssri/snri). Usually the TSH elevates but the T3 and T 4 stay in normal range and no hypothyroidism symptoms are present. Most of the AD can cause this phenomena. That is why the manufactures suggest and annual TSH and Alt/Ast test (liver function test). Cymbalta (as well as the other ssri/snri interfere with the HPT axis and is one of the reasons why sexual problems frequently occur. My TSH was slightly elevated for 6 or 7 years before my T3 and T4 were effected. just keep a close eye on them.

As far as your withdrawal...Wow way to fast!!! We normally recommend dropping around or a little under 1% per day. This is dome by counting the beads inside your capsule. Lets say 300 beads are present. We then remove 3 more beads each day (3 the first day, 6 the second day, etc).At anytime you feel the withdrawal is getting too bad then just hold at that level or even go back up a little bit until stable. It should take you around 4 months maybe 5 considering the high dosage you were on.

#3 Angelface

Angelface

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • why_joining:
    Deciding to withdraw from Cymbalta after fast and furious unexplained weight gain and more importantly elevated TSH level and fatigue. Was on 120 mg

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:14 PM

As far as your withdrawal...Wow way to fast!!! We normally recommend dropping around or a little under 1% per day. This is dome by counting the beads inside your capsule. Lets say 300 beads are present. We then remove 3 more beads each day (3 the first day, 6 the second day, etc).At anytime you feel the withdrawal is getting too bad then just hold at that level or even go back up a little bit until stable. It should take you around 4 months maybe 5 considering the high dosage you were on.

Question then... and btw thanks so much for the response..... what are these withdrawal symptoms everyone talks about? I don't know how to tell what is a symptom of withdrawal and what is just my pre-cymbalta pain coming back. Because that is all I am feeling (aside from this horrible flu I have caught from my SO)

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

Withdrawal symptoms start out with a swishing in the head as you turn your eyes quickly, emotional swings, tinnitus, stomach problems and much more. Yes body aches and pains are part of it but the overwhelming anxiety, emotional problems and digestive issues are almost always there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users