Photo

6 Months Off Cymbalta But Suicidal....advice Re Other Meds?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IWantToFeelAgain

IWantToFeelAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:19 AM

Hello,

After reducing from 90mg to 0 (over 2 years), i have now been off cymbalta completely for 6 months however i am having frequent suicidal thoughts and just know that i can't continue like this. I don't want to go back on cymbalta but at least things were ok when i was on my 90mg dose. Anyone got any advice about what medication is not as bad as cymbalta (e.g. in terms of coming off them). I suffer with depression and anxiety.

Thanks,

M :(

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

The primary ones would probably be Zoloft, Prozac or Lexapro as they usually have less of a withdrawal.

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hi,

Same thoughts here, Lexapro as a last choice.

Zoloft and Prozac have a long half life which make them easier to get off. Specially Prozac. And less side effects. Hope you find the right one for you!

#4 IWantToFeelAgain

IWantToFeelAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

Thank you both. I appreciate your comments.

#5 IWantToFeelAgain

IWantToFeelAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

Same thoughts here, Lexapro as a last choice.

Zoloft and Prozac have a long half life which make them easier to get off. Specially Prozac. And less side effects. Hope you find the right one for you!

Thanks for your suggestions, how come Lexapro is a last choice? It is due to the withdrawal element?

#6 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hello,

Lexapro is a good choice, it has a shorter half life than Prozac. A good ad though.

The shorter the half life, the harder is the withdrawal. But it is nothing like Cymbalta with its short half life.

With Cymbalta, if you miss a dose by a few hours, you are already in withdrawal.

With Prozac, you miss one dose, you are OK because it stays much longer in your system. I have a 10mg every two days, withdrawing from it and no problem.

Check out the half lives of these mess on Google. I am not really good in explaining.

Please don't worry if you got a Lexapro prescription, a good choice, but I did not do good with it or anything else for that matter, they poop out real fast on me.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

On the otherhand Lexapro did a great job for me with no side effects but these kind of differences are typical for ssri and snri. Each person reacts differently so you pick one of the three, go for it and see what happens. there is really no way to determine success ahead of time. I wish there was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users