• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 emoothart

emoothart

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

I have had mental health problems from a very young age.  Although from the outside my childhood must have looked perfect, I remember it as a long,  As an adolescent I was (mis)diagnosed as bipolar and took a variety of medications, often switching between them after a short period of time, and never knowing if what I was taking was real or a placebo (my parents felt my reactions would be more accurate if I didn't know what I was taking).  

In college I stopped taking all medication.  I excelled academically but developed high anxiety and an eating disorder.

After college I married and had three children in quick succession.  I spent those years mired in depression, sleep deprivation, and chronic stress.

Just over 6 years ago I went to a psychiatrist (no longer in practice) who prescribed cymbalta for "moderate depression and GAD".  She never mentioned the possibility of serious side effects or withdrawal issues.  After an initial weekend of horrible side effects that made me feel I was poisoning myself, those symptoms disappeared and it was an absolute wonder drug for about 3-4 years. I felt "normal" for the first time in my life.  

Two years ago I started wondering if the cymbalta wasn't working as well as it had been.  I started having some serious "breakthrough" depressive days and my anxiety increased tremendously.  I blamed this on a really stressful work environment and hoped it would get better.

Last summer was a really terrible time, that included getting fired unjustly, losing my church community as a result, and having a family member diagnosed with terminal cancer all within a couple of weeks.  On my psychiatrist's recommendation, I increased my dose of cymbalta to 90mg for 6 months. During that time I had a significant problem with a jittery, jumpy feeling, as well as frequent insomnia and restless sleep.  

After the six months was up my psychiatrist agreed to let me go back to my old 60mg dose.  I did that for three weeks and finally realized that I was feeling *horrible* and leaning towards suicidal.  I did a lot of reading online and realized that I probably needed to reduce my dose more gently.  I've spent the past 6 months working down from 90, to 80, to 70mg.  

Unfortunately, I don't feel that it is working. I function, but I'm sad most of the time, slide into *totally overwhelmed* far too easily, yell at my kids a lot, and feel a pervasive sense of distance/detachment from my family, my kids, and the things I usually enjoy.  Due to this, both my therapist and my psychiatrist wanted me to go back to 90mg, and I did for just two days, but responded with complete insomnia. I felt happy for a day, but I can't function without sleep!  

I seem to be stuck between two bad options right now: higher dose and the inability to sleep, or the lower dose and a sad/distant/depressed fog.  I wonder if I need to get off cymbalta entirely, or switch to an alternate medication?  I wonder if either of those are even possible, given the speed of my slide towards suicide when I originally went from 90mg to 60mg last January.  I feel out of my league in terms of what I can figure out on my own, and I don't have any confidence in my current psychiatrist to help with this. I'm a mother of four kids under age 11, so I have to figure this out.

If you're still reading, thanks so much.  Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

Emily

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:38 AM

Hello Emily, and welcome home,

Read and reread your post. If I understand correctly, you are still at 60mg, feeling low and hardly any sleep. 90mg doesn't help either. Right?

The first thing we ask is of a member to stabilize before bead counting your way off. It does not seem to be possible in your case to do so. I would add a very very low dose of Zoloft or Prozac, and start bead counting. Won't bring you relief instantly but with time, it should help.

Fishinghat, LadyNancy, what do you think?

Emily, wait for further responses, we are here for you. Hang on to the mast!

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:32 AM

Not a bad idea Gail. With little kids around I am sure Emoot would want to be at least halfway functional. The dr might even want todo a cross taper to one of those to get her off the Cymbalta quicker. A cross taper is where you decrease your Cymbalta to zero over a few weeks while increasing the new medicine to dose over the same few weeks.

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:29 PM

Emoot,

I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time ... and what a horrible year you survived !

I'm so glad you found us ... definitely the best place to be when you're looking for information and encouragement !  :)

All the meds you mention are SSRI's ... they act on serotonin ...

Have you ever tried Wellbutrin? It acts on dopamine, another key neurotransmitter ... dopamine is what impacts general level of motivation, enthusiasm, and energy.

It's the only one of the meds that ever really helped me ...

I'm at work now, and so must keep this short. I'll write more later ...

#5 emoothart

emoothart

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

Thank you for your responses! It is nice to not feel so totally alone. Considering all the information I've learned so far, I think I need to continue pursuing getting off cymbalta entirely. With both symptoms and side effects increasing, it doesn't make much sense to stay on it (since everything I'm reading makes it sound like that will continue and get worse). 

I'm interested in the cross-taper idea.  Have any of you done that successfully?  If so, with which medication?  I'm on the cymbalta to combat depression and anxiety, so I'm thinking I'd need something that might work for both.  I don't have a ton of faith in my psychiatrist so I like to go to my appointments with research already done and ideas already in mind. 

Today is day 3 of being back at the 60mg dosage. I noticed this morning that my ability to cope with sensory input, especially loud auditory, is definitely lowered. Man, that is tough with four little boys!!!  But, onward. I can do this.

#6 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

First of all Emily, welcome to the family.

I know what it's like as we all do to feel like you are alone in your dealings with the sinful drug which I call "Sinbalta". For the most part I agree with everything the others have suggested. I do think the cross tapering idea would work better for you. I have seen moderate success with a similar method myself. The long and the short of it is that I ended up on Sinbalta as one of the many possible stabilizers for my depression and anxiety. My husband tried to tell me I shouldn't take it but at that time in my life I had grown out of listening to him, so I did it anyway.  I started tapering after my first visit to the ER the first part of March 2016 for feeling like I wasn't myself and was going to fall out at any second. After this visit my husband and I began tapering me off of it because we couldn't get any help from my doctor at the time.  We even started bead counting and that was a up and down cycle for me that ended me back in the ER later in March due to harmful thoughts and almost being hospitalized for it.  As of April 1st 2016 I have completely stopped the medicine and my life is better than it was when I was on it.  I will tell you that it's not near perfect but it is much better than it was while I was on the medicine.  I have had some set backs which will come as it's a long journey from what I'm told by my wonderful family here. But we are all here for you if you need us, just let us know what we can do.

You can read my full story here: https://www.cymbalta...nally-listened/, along with a follow up here: https://www.cymbalta...or-so-it-feels/

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

Successfully cross tapered several times. Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, and others. It went well in each case although some worked better than others. (Typical).

Generally Zoloft, Prozac and Lexapro are the ones usually used to cross taper off Cymbalta. Once successfully on the new ssri then you can begin tapering slowly off it. These three still have withdrawal but just not as bad (typically) than Cymbalta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users