Photo

Cymbolta Symptons Doctors Dont Tell!!???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jenster

jenster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    i have been on cymbolta for 6 yrs and have seen alot people with similar symptoms to mine that doctors tell me is not from the medication!!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

I have been on cymbolta for 6 years i have went from 115 to 180 lbs dr. said the pill is weight neutral (ya ok) i have nausea, severe dizzyness, feel off balance like im going to fall over and feel like i have zaps in my brain drs. have told me none of this is due to cymbolta i think its a lie after all effects other people have had on this pill that i have read another thing is my period has been messed up i really think all of this is due from the pill i think its about time i get off it but doctors dont want me to they want to up my dose i dont think thats good i feel more depressed than ever! I feel like theres no need to live cause all the symptoms that I have.. anyone have similar problems please let me know!!
thanks so much
jennie

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hi Jennie,

I had some of the symptoms you're talking about (which ARE actually listed on the leaflet I HOPE you're getting with your prescription), esp the off balance bit. I didn't get the brain zaps until I tried to wean off. Next time you're in there take the leaflet and show them.

It's ironic that a drug supposedly used to treat depression has side effects that would leave most normal people feeling depressed, but it IS difficult for doctors to tell the difference between ongoing, under treated depression and someone needing to get off a drug because it's making them feel physically worse. I'm no apologist for doctors - I had some brilliant ones and some appalling ones - and I know that I'd rather one I can talk to and who listens and takes what I say seriously (and has to look up what I'm talking about) than a walking medical encyclopedia with *all* the answers but no listening skills, so keep that in mind when you're evaluating whether or not to stay with your current doctors.

You haven't mentioned what does you're on, but you might like to look over some of the posts of those who've successfully removed this drug from their system with the help of OTC products and/or another prescription drug like prozac (temporarily) to help with the withdrawal symptoms.

Re the weight: the reason the doctors say that Cymbalta, like most anti-depressants is weight neutral, is because OVERALL, the body of people who've been talking them some lose weight and some gain weight. You're an individual, so the average results don't reflect your particular situation. I've actually lost weight on Cymbalta. Some people come to depression underweight and eat normally once stabilized, others try to eat their way out of depression and find it no longer necessary to comfort eat once stabilized. That's why the results are useless for an individual.

I put on so much weight with Lexapro that it's hardly surprising that I'm slowly losing it with Cymbalta. Lexapro made me incredibly hungry all the time, to the extent that I'd occasionally eat lunch twice. When I started on L I was several kilos underweight, so once I felt o.k. was deliriously happy to be able to scoff away (and scoff away and scoff away) until I was 10kg more than when I started (and I was only about 3kg underweight).

Keep in mind your doctors only get the information the drug companies provide. Given the number of drugs they need to keep up with, it's up to us to educate them in some ways - the best ones will acknowledge they learn a lot from their patients; the bad ones will assume they always know more than you do.

kind regards, Maureen.

#3 Cecile

Cecile

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • why_joining:
    I have been on Zoloft for 6mon. and Cymbalta for almost 1 year. I want to get off Cymbalta the Dr. put me on it for my panic attacks wouldn't stop happening, so the Dr. put me on Zoloft I had bad!!! Side effects on Zoloft, so the Dr. switched me to Cymbalta I haven't had any bad panic attacks since I have been on the drug just maybe 2 or 3 since it's going on 1 year already, to make the long story short! I want off of this meds I have noooo feeling or emotion...only usually during my menestrual cycle and that's usually when my panic and anxiety erupts. Anyway, I want off this med's and back to the life that i use to have a fun life not having to worry when to take a pill, or if i'm gong to have a next panic attack. I only hope and pray to God. once off this drug I wont go back to myself when I had bad panic attacks! what do you think?? do you think once off this drug i will have them again?? Anyway, I want my life back basicly....... Cecile

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

Yes, that's true I have lost weight on Cymbalta, so it does matter on the person. I went from 130lbs to 104lbs even stabelized on my Cymbalta I stayed 104 no matter how much I eat. Till this very day I'm still 104 and haven't lost any weight or gained. I do not!! want to lose anymore weight that would just freak me out..Iam now weaning myself off with the Dr. help and I don't eat as much as I use to, so iam hopeing my appatite with get back to normal, cause less then 104 wouldn't be good!!!! or look good!!!!

Cece

#4 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

Jenster, sometimes these a/ds can make a person feel more depressed than they were originally. This is where Drs get confused and think you need a higher dose but you know yourself better than they do. I agree with Maureen in that you need a Dr who will listen to you and work WITH you, not FOR you.

In terms of coming off Cymbalta, the consensus around here is to taper. Some people can drop 20mg or more at one time, others have to go far more slowly. The only way to know is to try.

Also, sometimes it can take a while before you find the right drug for you. I know someone who went through quite a number of different a/d before she finally settled on Prozac.

Good luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users