Photo

New, Need Help. Cymbalta And Alcoholism.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dorag

dorag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:32 AM

26, female, on 60mg a day for chronic pain caused by a car accident years ago.

I have never been a big drinker. Occasional social drinks, but the last few months on Cymbalta, I have been getting drunk almost every night. When I'm not drinking, at work for example, it's all I can think about. It's impairing my judgement, and I can't stop at 1 drink, like I always have. I even almost drove drunk last night, then cried myself to sleep. I have seen many websites about this, but can't find any information on alcoholism being an official side effect of Cymbalta.

I hate the person I've become. My fiance hates the person I've become. My doctor is so popular, I can't get an appointment, even an emergency appointment, for 6 weeks. I have tried weaning to 60mg every other day, but the side effects are horrendous and are interfering with my work and personal life. The depression and brain zaps, all I can think about is dying to make it stop.

I'm at my wits end, I don't know what to do anymore. 

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

Hi Dorag, welcome to the forum ! I'm so glad you found us !   :)

You are definitely not alone in the drinking thing ... I was on crapalta for about 8 years, the last years of which I spent drinking heavily ... and this after I'd spent years in AA, and been sober for almost 20 years !!  :angry:

Definitely due to the poison. As soon as I got off the cymbalta, all desire for alcohol disappeared completely ... I'm back to sober again ...

Get off this stuff, now ! You can do it, and you'll find the alcohol disappears from your life ...

Just be sure to use the bead counting method that's discussed here (search the forum archives). Also, other members can explain it to you ... I don't feel qualified, as I went cold turkey. (DO NOT do it that way, it's hell on earth.)

And keep posting, we're here for you !

#3 AngryZappingAnarchist

AngryZappingAnarchist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    Joining because nobody understands.

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:15 AM

Ive been drinking like a fish as Ive been trying to get off this stuff.
Though I certainly don't recommend it to anyone, alcohol gives me a temporary break from the withdrawals.

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:11 AM

Welcome AZA,

Where are you at with the withdrawal?

We understand, feel free to post anytime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users