• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:07 AM

Went on Cymbalta for panic attacks while driving and pain. It didn't work. I haven't driven in over a year and it been effecting my daily life and those around me. Going cold turkey and with all the symptoms, I don't feel safe driving. Seems that there are a lot of people experiencing withdrawal. Does anyone have advice about driving during this time? I appreciate any feedback.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:13 AM

First of all welcome Geebers. Second, you may not realize what you have gotten yourself in a bad spot by going cold turkey. Cymbalta withdrawal can be devastating. I would strongly recommend you get back on it and bead count. This is where you open one capsule and count the number of beads inside Each day you remove 2 or 3 more beads. This gives you a slower more controlled withdrawal. As far as driving, well, that really depends on how you feel. It is typically difficult to work, spend time around people and have terrible mood swings. What is it about your withdrawal that makes it difficult to drive?

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

Hi Geebers, welcome !

I'm with FH here .. first and foremost, cold turkey isn't the way to go ... I speak from experience ...

Secondly, if driving anxiety is why you went on crapalta, then driving while in cold turkey is not something you should do... it's simply not safe ... for you, and for others you're around / who are on the road ...

Others here, like FH, have tons of experience with the bead counting process ... get yourself stable first, then we'll deal with the driving issue ...

Keep posting, we're here to help you !  :)

#4 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:00 PM

Geebers,

Yes, please do not go cold turkey.  Follow the process Fishinghat mentioned above with the bead counting method.  If you have not driven in over a year due to the panic attacks I would suggest you come off the cymbalta in a safe and beneficial way.  We will help you deal with driving once you are following a method which we feel will help you progress to a more fulfilling life. I was actually and agoraphobic (could not leave my house and was housebound due to panic attack which were long before anti depresseant in my life).  I had the worse fear of leaving my house, therefore of course was very fearful of driving.  Today I am off everywhere with my car...  

Did the doctor prescribe cymbalta for panic attacks?  

#5 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:39 PM

Wow! Thanks everyone! I didn't expect to get so many responses! I may have been misleading when I said cold turkey. I've been taking 5htp and l theanine. My husband manages a GNC store. I'm am actually doing better than withdrawing from lexapro. Read up on 5HTP and see if it's right for you. Carleeta, can you please tell me how you were able to go from being agoraphobic to going everywhere. Thanks for giving me hope!

#6 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:44 PM

Geebers, Very happy to hear the HTP is working for you. What ever works is a great thing.  I do believe I've read how others seem to have used HTP.  How very fortunate you are to have a husband who manages a GNC store.  He's very knowledgeable on what the body truly needs.

As far as the driving issues goes, I'll tell you I took extremely little baby steps.  I started by just walking up to the car and starting is and sitting inside.  I did this for about 2 weeks.  Then I put it in reverse and went down the driveway and back up again.  Once I felt comfortable enough (and I truly cannot remember how long that took) I eventually went up and down the block I lived on until I was able to go completely around the block.  All the time I kept telling my "it's ok if you can't do it.  I can always turn the car around and go back home". Then I drove two block and then three blocks and then four block.  I hadn't stopped anywhere yet.  I just kept testing myself to see how far I could go. Eventually it lead to driving to a convenient store to run in for a loaf of bread or one item.  Even in the store I told myself "if you can't stand in line just put the item back and go home".  It's definitely baby steps and no set time on how long I would stay at one stage. The time didn't matter to me because I knew I had my cell phone right next to me and if worse came to worse I would call 911 and tell them I couldn't breathe.  I also had a bottle water with me and a rubber band around my wrist.  The rubber band around my wrist was used to snap it every once in  while to place my mind on the sting it caused and shift my mind from the fear of "what if" to the actual sting.  That's how I approached driving once again.  For me, even leaving the house caused severe anxiety for me.  I had to do the same things just walking out the door before I could drive...  It's eventually works no matter the length of time involved.... 

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:48 PM

Awesome post, by an awesome woman, Carleeta !   :D

I remember back in 2014, when I first arrived here at the forum ... you were "in that process" then, and writing to tell us about each "baby step" ... WOW !!!

#8 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

your absolutely correct FiveNotions.   I do believe that's when I started the positive thread.  Thank God you remembered.  You have a wonder memory.  I'm hoping this helps Geebers.

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:07 PM

my memory is still very "Swiss-cheesy" ... but a whole heck of a lot better than it was back then... not to mention, all the memory black-outs during my crapalta years   :blink: ... but what you were going through then, and how you faced it and dealt with it, made a lasting impression on me, Carleeta ... you inspired me, and in a very real way, carried me along with you, into living again ....

Geebers, you, too, are going to get through this process, and back to living again, I promise you !

#10 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:06 AM

Thanks so much for your encouragement! I will be seeing a therapist next week who believes she can help. I am really looking forward to it, although I am scared. I have tried,therapy,hypnotism,meds.of course and lots of prayers. There are so many issues with this drug. I don't know where to start. Driving,weight gain,withdrawl...

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

Geebers,

It's nice to hear you are going to see a therapist next week and if she feels she can help she will most likely be able to help.  There is one other things wanted to mention about driving one of the questions I did keep asking myself as I was attempting to drive was this "What is the worse that could happen to me?".  When you ask yourself that question you'll begin to realize your answer and it's quite suprising how you might feel a whole different perspective on your life in general. It's a wonderful thing.

Do let us know your progress next week. Keep us posted daily and how you are doing as this helps others who are just reading through this site and looking for the answers and courage they need.

#12 Geebers

Geebers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:09 AM

Thanks!Rough day both physically and emotionally. Pain was not good today,but fewer brain zaps. Yesterday, I cried at "The Secret Lives of Pets!" It's exhausting!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users