• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lovemywife

lovemywife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    my wife has been on cymbalt for 3 years and decided to get off it as her dosage was never increased... she is on day 15 and i am having a very hard time coping... please help!

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:52 AM

My wife has been on for 3 years and due to the common side effects and beginning new insurance she decided to try and take her life back. she is so strong.. and i didnt know how bad off she really was. im trying and i have a good support system but holy crap this is tough. any little comment can make her snap, and ruin any time we may be having. im trying to hold my tongue about everything but its really tough not being able to act the way i have toward her for the last 15 years. we are HS sweetys and she got on this due to complications from possibly post partom and MS. please please tell me that it gets better soon. and any suggestions? she is cold turky...

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:48 AM

Hiya,

cold turkey is really, really, REALLy tough. I'm not tough enough to try it and I've had my fair share of health issues over the years.

Full marks to you for trying so hard and being so supportive - you're a star!

Do you think your wife understands all that is happening to her? As in does she know she's being unreasonable.

I did, but only from some far off place: the way I was (and sometimes still do) react seems perfectly reasonable at the time. That's the problem with withdrawal from this drug. I've noticed too, that sometimes it's not what someone says, it's merely the fact that they've actually spoken to me that's a problem - I seem to be extra sensitive to noise, and I'm only tapering down slowly, not doing what your wife is doing.

Have to say going cold turkey is not recommended at all; if her problems continue, recommencing (aarrrghh) the drug at a much lower dose and tapering down slowly may be more beneficial (all round!).

Just try to imagine that the drug altered (temporarily presumably) the way her body operated; sudden withdrawal of the drug has left her body struggling to adapt to the absence of the drug. It's not the real her which is snapping at you, if that's any help. Probably not much, because I know how revolting I was.

http://en.wikipedia.... ... n_syndrome

This is a long article, but you may find it useful.

keep in touch, Maureen.

#3 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:
    Hubby is having bad anxiety problems due to cymbalta withdrawl

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

Well I understand what you are going through. But my hubby did it a bit different. My hubby went from 120 to60 overnight then after a week down to 30mg and after a week was done with it it was so bad we went to go get some help and all they did was give him a different med and that has made things worse.

I walk on egg shells around him. And if I say something that sets him off instead of fight I walk away for a while and let him think about why I walked away. He comes to me and says sorry.

I am here for you if you need to talk

#4 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Although this is an old post I am glad I found it. I know I am difficult and try my hardest to kp. all of this to myself so that I don't hurt my beloved. Once again hope...that is all we have. My hope was I could get help today and here I am...found it! There are some amazing posts and ones I can relate to; almost to the very letter. fishhat and other savvy, kind people have helped me.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

You are not alone xman1 and patience and hope are very important parts in handling the withdrawal alright. Hang in there.

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

Xman1, welcome...I'm glad you found us....I couldn't do this without the help, strength ...and humor I find here!

#7 OMG37

OMG37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

The withdrawal process is pretty tuff.  I went cold turkey and it will be a month  in a couple of days.  Where I am now is much better than before by leaps and bounds.  However, I'm very nervous about starting back to work. I'm having a hard time with "brain fog," headaches, stomach queasiness, and exhaustion.  I can't remember anything!  My temperament is beyond my control.  Because I have  small children Its a 24hr a day battle trying to stay engaged and consistent with them, so they won't be negatively effected.  All i want to do is lay in a quiet room.  the quiet makes a feel better.  I'm really hot and at times really cold.  My life has changed drastically and I'm just praying these issues will get better.  Any others out there thats pass 30 days off with any information on there process would be great.       

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

OMG37, I am glad things are improving. Those symptoms you mention will get better and finally dissipate. This is the part where your patience can really wear thin but you just need to hang in there a little longer.

God Bless.

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

OMG37... The first month was truly the hardest for me...then, in the 5th week I really noticed my improvement....the good days appeared...and I got a solid taste of what being cymbalta free would be like...these times were what gave me the courage to continue the struggle...plus, of course, the help of the folks here!

Sounds like you're really making solid progress!

#10 OMG37

OMG37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Thanks everyone for your helpful words of encouragement!!!  I'm feeling better with each day!!!  Getting up in the morning and pete evenings/nights are rough, but I think it the FM pain.  I'm going holistic therapy and I'm committed to working through this without RX!!  I'm so grateful for the support of my husband!!!!  There is no way I could get through this with his support!!  

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

Omg37...Sounds like you have a wonderful husband. .Glad your days are getting better...Sorry to hear nighttime us when you are not feeling well. Holistic therapy sounds like it might be what you need..I'm hoping it works..I've heard all good things about it..

Thank you for keeping us posted. .

Looking forward to future post and let us know how this holistic therapy turns out for you...

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Congratulation OMG. I am so happy for you. You have good husband. He must love you a lot.

#13 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Wonderful news, OMG!

Please let us know what you learn about the holistic therapy...what you try, what works, etc.... I know I'm heading in that direction, as are a number of us here.... I for one have lost all faith in western medicine...I don't trust docs or pharma cos one bit.....

#14 OMG37

OMG37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hi Eveyone!!

The withdrawal symptoms are almost gone!!!  The GI issue (more frequent BM and associated cramps) is still here, but it has calm down two maybe 2-3 times a day.  Still having little headaches, but no the major ones.  I'm really happy about that!!  The reality is the FM pain is back with avenges.  I've started chiropractic care (twice a week), massages (once a week), yoga (ideally daily, but only have done it once a week), and i drink tons of water, take omega 2, Vit D (last blood work showed a deficiency), Vit. e, juice plus veggie and fruit vitamin.  I know the yoga works…I just gotta find time to do it more often.  I have not started PT bc all the above therapy and treatment is not covered by insurance, so it 100% out of pocket.  Evert time I attempt fast food it makes me feel sick, so i'm avoiding it at all cost (can't afford it anyway)!!!  I found several weight watchers soups and I pack them for lunch with fresh fruit!! I've researched and researched and the main thing i have learned is EATING BETTER will HELP me feel better!!!  I know it true!!!  My husband is on the bandwagon with me and eating everything I eat!!!!  By the way superphi (a member on the forum) is my husband!!  Lucky me!!!!!!  Since the weather is getting warmer, I have no excuse not to walk while the kiddos ride their bikes!!!  

The withdrawal is still there, but SO mild most of the time!!!!!  My main concerns now is treatment for the FM bc I will NEVER take another pill that a doctor prescribes for me!!!!!  No way No how!!!!!!  I will keep everyone posted!!  35 days clean and sober!!!!  The crazy thing is I had no idea I had an addiction until I stop taking the meds!!!!!  SMH!!!  It does get better and I'm so grateful!!!

#15 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

What an encouraging post by OMG37. Remember the old saying, "You are what you eat"? I think you are spot on and bravo to you for going the better eating road and for trying (if not succeeding) in taking along husband and children! With the way kids eat today in the fast paced life of working parent (s) and school function, & extra stuff, you are heading down an amazing path for the furture!! Bravo!!

That is sad that PT is not covered. It is costly even with "coverage"-20% OOP can be staggering. Strength to you, OMG37,  on your journey thru and away from pain.

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Way to go OMG37. By the way you have a great hubby. He loves you very much.

#17 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

OMG37

Fabulous! You sound like you are out of the woods.

It's difficult to know, but sometimes the GI and FM symptoms can be gluten-intolerant related. Just a thought. A couple of weeks off gluten might yield something surprising. I'm celiac and so are others in my family. Gluten messes with my GI and brings on muscle and joint pains.

All the best!

#18 OMG37

OMG37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

Still feeling good.  Each day brings on better feelings.  The withdrawal is mild.  I am tired and feel like I need one more hour when the alarm goes off.   The morning are difficult!!  Very sore, achey, stiff, ant etc.  Having to be out of the house by 6:30 and traveling an hour and a half wears me out!!  I drive 800-1000 miles a week!!  Thankfully I will be off for summer vacation after the second week and May!!!  I'm counting down!!!      I plan to plan a "new normal" living with FM and realizing you have to change your life is a hard notion.  I have to make some major changes in order to live the best life with FM.  

#19 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

OMG37 you are so not alone about the morning issues. It is an almost insurmountable obstacle for me but I am not going to let it be so! That is a long commute!! I use to use multiple heat sources (stuff for my back) for my long commute :D

#20 OMG37

OMG37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

Hi:

I just wanted to give an update.  I've been off for almost 3 months now and the withdrawal is OVER!!!  However, I'm working thru the side effects of taking the medication.  My memory (long and short term) is very limited.  "Off the cuff" decision making, tasks all together are harder than ever.  It's hard to explain, but I just feel that I'm 80% of what I once was before taking this medication! It's extremely frustrating when your lifestyle has changed drastically and you simply can not perform mentally or physically the same.  The FM pain prevents me from being as physical as I once was, but mentally my capacity has diminished.  

Regular medical doctors truly don't understand how to treat ppl with FM (my opinion).  I've learned that my eating habits had to change.  I have to exercise and take care of myself.  Drink water-not sodas, I had to eliminate high fructose corn syrup, eat more fruit and veggies, no fast food-process is a no no, low stress and REST!!  When I do all of this I feel great!!  When I get off the wagon I suffer!!   

Medication simply is not the answer to honestly healing our bodies, but the way we eat and live does!!  I wish everyone the best of luck and I hope that this will help someone. 

#21 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

Thank you for your post, OMG...it gives me a huge dose of hope!! I am only 8 days off the crap and have been so fearful after reading of so many here suffering the long term 'discontinuation' hell...I have not moved a muscle or eaten anything healthy out of the incapacitating effects of getting off this poison! I am bookmarking your post for my daily mantra to keep moving forward. I am 'tying myself to the mast' (a phrase coined by This Moment) moment to moment and though this ship is beaten & battered, it will one day sail again!!

#22 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

CymSik...

How are you feeling today?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users