#871 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,854 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

IUN - I have been reading a few articles lately on dizziness associated with antidepressant use and/or withdrawal. I did find an article or two that suggested (from their observations) that dizziness which is when moving the eyes back and forth is usually caused by withdrawal. If the dizziness is not associated with eye movement then it is probably a side effect from taking an antidepressant and may not go away with time. Two of the researchers said that prolonged dizziness due to a side effect of taking an antidepressant is the leading cause of people discontinuing their antidepressant. Unluckily that don't say how to cure it. lol Just change your AD. That's easy. )He said sarcastically)

#872 invalidusername

invalidusername

God-like

• Site Supporter
  • 2,437 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:55 PM

Hmm - can you clarify further what you have found just to clear this up... and to put my mind at ease.

When I get dizzy, I also get nystagmus (also known as 'dancing eyes'), which is involuntary - so are you saying this is likely the withdrawal? I had the same thing when I had my seizures coming off the duloxetine.

For the most part, it is not dizziness (as the in the vertigo sense) it is an intense headACHE, the odd zap or what feels like too much pressure in the head. The dizziness which the doctor thought was labyrinthitis dissipated, and aside from last weekend, has not returned.

But I am interested to know what these articles suggest...

#873 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,854 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:22 PM

These papers were vague at best. The papers centered around clinical observations and are therefore very subjective. The heart of their opinion was that if voluntary movement made the dizziness worse then it was probably related to withdrawal. If eye movements were not a factor with the dizziness then the dizziness was more likely a side effect of the ssri/snri. They also made some general comments about dizziness as a side effect of ssri/snri was the moist common reason for people to discontinue AD use ir change ADs. No data to back that up was given.

My concern is that if the dizziness you experience id a side effect of the Citalopram then down the road you might have to consider a different AD. (God forbid)

#874 invalidusername

invalidusername

God-like

• Site Supporter
  • 2,437 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:23 PM

That is a very strange hypothesis. 

Given that I had all the dizziness and such when I was on the Lexapro, then did a 10mg CT, albeit with the citalopram, it was quite a jump. I think I am just going through a very unfortunate withdrawal. Even when the Citalopram reaches full level, there is likely to still be some residual effects.

I was fine on Citalopram for 12 years, so I hope it has not turned on me. The thought of having to find something else is horrific. If that were the case, I would opt for amino acids/supplements. I just don't think my brain can take any more meds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users