7 replies to this topic

#1 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

Hi everyone,

Thought I would pop in and tell you about my last visit with my psychiatrist.  After my session she started talking about a New York Times article she read ( we have discussed it here).  She talked in detail about the woman's experience and said " I may have been taking my patients off too quickly".  It was kind of like duh....that's what I was trying to tell you.  But I am happy that the article may sink into the heads of these doctors that don't have a clue about withdrawl.  She was also interested in the fact that the woman is now helping people get off the drug.

I know this isn't helpful for the many people still dealing with this nightmare but I suppose it is a small glimmer of hope that maybe things will change.

Juli

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:37 AM

Even if it is just one dr at a time the word will eventually spread.

#3 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

Absolutely. I think the time is coming whereby "professionals" are beginning to realise that withdrawal can be ever bit as dangerous as the treatment it was first initiated to resolve.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

Thee are a number of medical research papers with that opinion as well as discussions about the sanity of prescribing an AD at the drop of a hate. My current GP teaches family medicine to new interns. As she specializes in handling depressed and anxiety patients she often focuses on that aspect. her and I have had several chats about taking a more conservative approach to treatment and I know she has discussed this with some of her other patients as well. It is good to see that some one is teaching the upcoming generation of drs the reality of ADs.

#5 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

Wonderful... just a shame we got caught in it all.

#6 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:03 AM

Hi everyone,

Thought I would pop in and tell you about my last visit with my psychiatrist.  After my session she started talking about a New York Times article she read ( we have discussed it here).  She talked in detail about the woman's experience and said " I may have been taking my patients off too quickly".  It was kind of like duh....that's what I was trying to tell you.  But I am happy that the article may sink into the heads of these doctors that don't have a clue about withdrawl.  She was also interested in the fact that the woman is now helping people get off the drug.

I know this isn't helpful for the many people still dealing with this nightmare but I suppose it is a small glimmer of hope that maybe things will change.

Juli

Do you have a link to the article? I would love to read it.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:23 AM

I believe this is the article she is referencing.

https://www.nytimes....c-cymbalta.html

#8 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:43 AM

Makes wonderful press, but whether there will be a suitable outcome is another thing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users