I Need Some Help

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York (Northern NY)

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:20 AM

I am trying to withdraw from this awful medicine. I am transitioning to Wellbutrin (at 300 mg now), from Duluxotine, I was up to 120 mg (60 twice a day). I am down to 20 mg once a day, she went from 60 twice a day to 30 once a day, then she stopped it. OMG I had almost every symptom and it was terrifying, as I am normally a easy-going person, working 3 jobs to a non functioning adult...I called and she put me back on 20 mg a day for 2 weeks then wanted me to do every other day. I am waiting for a call back, because I think I need to go much longer, and maybe even go back up to 30? Then start the whole bead removal process?  I have been on it for several years, just increasing from 90 to 120 in January. I am on it for depression (2 suicide attempts, been 9 years since hospitalization for that) I need some help transitioning. advice? I am experiencing most of the symptoms and am having trouble with working, concentrating, functioning, etc. 

I've been reading through the threads and I am thinking I definitely need to go way longer for withdrawal. Please help...

Joy 

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:38 AM

Welcome Joy

How long you been on the Wellbutrin now and at what dose?

#3 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:39 PM

I have been on the Wellbutrin since April 30, starting at 150 mg, Three weeks ago bumped to 300.

#4 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:13 PM

Joy,

Welcome to the forum...

The issue here is that you are cutting out the serotonin element completely here. Wellbutrin is a mix of ad classes in so much that it has the norepinphrine of the cymbalta, but adds dopamine - but it does nothing for serotonin. On the plus side there is no risk of serotonin syndrome, but combination of the two can increase the effects of the Cym, so upping the dose too much whilst at 300mg Wellbutrin is not recommended.

Also making such a big jump can be just as much a problem of dropping too much. 

Can you also tell us whether you are on immediate release or extended release Wellbutrin as this will effect dosage?

IUN

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:20 PM

Here is the situation Joy.  It takes Wellbutrin 6 to 8 weeks to kick in so it may still be a little over a monthg before you feel the full effects of the 300 mg Wellbutrin. Also, Wellbutrin controls norepinephrine (similar to adrenaline) and dopamine while Cymbalta controlls norepinephrine and serotonin. The reason I mention this is that once the Wellbutrin fully kicks in you may still have some issues with serotonin balance until your body adjusts. This would include some emotional swings and maybe some GI issues. Hopefully the Wellbutrin will be able to compensate for that but you should be prepared in case.

You can come off the Cymbalta slower than the dr recommended but you would be at risk for seizures. In addition, you should not consider the use of alcohol while on Wellbutrin. Using Wellbutrin with alcohol may increase the risk of uncommon side effects such as seizures, hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, mood and behavioral changes, depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and panic attacks. On the other hand, sudden withdrawal from alcohol following regular or chronic use can also increase your risk of seizures during treatment with Wellbutrin.

There are some medications your dr can prescribe for any anxiety type symptoms but I hesitate to mention them as they may make the depression worse. 

#6 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:28 PM

Thank you, for the quick responses. I am on the XL Wellbutrin. The doctor said today it is fine for me to continue the 20mg, and do the tapering at my own pace. I am open for any of your suggestions, my doctor (psychiatrist) will work with me on this.

#7 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:32 PM

Oh and I rarely drink anything, not planning on having anything anytime soon I did research all the side effects of Wellbutrin, so I am aware of that. I also kind of had heard about the side effects of going off Cymbalta, but wow. Just wow.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:49 PM

Yea, the withdrawal symptoms can be horrible for sure. They can even last for months after the last dose although that shouldn't be the situation considering you are on the Wellbutrin. If she does not see any problem with staying on the Cymbalta (20 mg) while on Wellbutrin that is good. In such a case I would stay on the 20 mg until you have been on the 300 mg Wellbutrin for 8 weeks and then, depending on how you are doing, start a slow bead count on the Cymbalta. 

#9 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:33 PM

Thank you so much!!! I feel better just knowing I have someone to help me through this "Tish" lol. Just watched the video that was shared on another thread. Gave me quite the chuckle!

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:29 PM

We will give you all the help we can Joy. We will make it through this together.

#11 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:03 PM

I think you saw Andy Bailey's Pregabalin video! I posted that for another new member earlier today. It is fantastic... really got me thru some of my darkest days that did.

Not having recalled anyone mixing the WB and Cym, it needed a bit of looking into, but as I said before, you won't have Serotonin issues, so aside from the possible seizures that Hat mentioned, it would be wise to go relatively slow - perhaps so you are getting towards the 10mg for 6 weeks on the WB and then cross-taper for another couple of months for that last 10mg whilst the WB properly kicks in. You should also be out of the start-up effects from the WB, so anything you will be getting you can blame on the Cym.

What you don't want to do is drop the Cym quickly during the start-up of the WB as you will not know which symptom is caused by which, so I would keep the Cym steady as Hat says so you at least know how your system is going to take to the WB.

Hope that all makes sense. Been a long day for me in the UK, so might be rabbiting a bit!!

#12 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:29 PM

I think you say Andy Bailey's Pregabalin video! I posted that for another new member earlier today. It is fantastic... really got me thru some of my darkest days that did.

Not having recalled anyone mixing the WB and Cym, it needed a bit of looking into, but as I said before, you won't have Serotonin issues, so aside from the possible seizures that Hat mentioned, it would be wise to go relatively slow - perhaps so you are getting towards the 10mg for 6 weeks on the WB and then cross-taper for another couple of months for that last 10mg whilst the WB properly kicks in. You should also be out of the start-up effects from the WB, so anything you will be getting you can blame on the Cym.

What you don't want to do is drop the Cym quickly during the start-up of the WB as you will not know which symptom is caused by which, so I would keep the Cym steady as Hat says so you at least know how your system is going to take to the WB.

Hope that all makes sense. Been a long day for me in the UK, so might be rabbiting a bit!!

#13 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:32 PM

Thank you!!!! No you are not rambling, makes perfect sense....though my brain is messed up right now, lol

#14 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:36 PM

Haha....I certainly am blonde...was trying to use the quote thing and completely messed that up. And I saw rabbiting as rambling. Oh well.. potato/patahtoe....

#15 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:21 PM

LOL!! Blame the Cymbalta - we always do!! 

Hat is a great one for that. I am always pulling him up on this typos - not that I don't make any myself - but I just get a kick out of it :)

#16 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 10:51 PM

Just an update, I stayed on the 20 mg till into August, then start ed micro-dosing. I have had some rough times, got overconfident once and thought I was good, lol... won't do that again. I am down to about 10 beads a day. (Seriously could they make them a bit smaller??? Sheesh it's not easy to do it) but I open the capsule and dump out what I won't use into an empty script bottle, and put the capsule back together. I did order empty capsules on Amazon, but they must have been for elephants, so they will probably be donated to the zoo or some essential oils people, lol. I am feeling ok. Not terrible, though I feel off sometimes, actually had a doctor not even get close to me and said, we need to do a COVID test. What a freaking circus that was....oh, of course I was negative, and I took the opportunity to go see my aunt in the nursing home (my state requires a negative COVID test within the last 7 days to be eligible to visit in a room at two ends of a 10 ft table with masks and a chaperone, super fun when you can't hear so well from the ringing in your ears, lol)
So I am going slow as I can. Still awful dreams but not as terrifying.occasional gastric issues, headache...anyway thanks for letting me ramble. Hope you are all well

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:44 AM

Well you have come a long ways USTBJ. The experience is can certainly a traumatic one. Just keep hanging in there and you will be OK. Thank you for the update.

#18 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:40 AM

Good to hear from you - and sounds like a standard way forward that you are on. Glad you could visit your family. Regardless of not being able to hear, your presence there will undoubtedly be of much benefit and gratitude to her. A lovely thing to do.

It is also very easy to get complacent with these things, but glad that you have learned from it! Remember to stay steady for as long as you need to  - there is no race. The better you deal with the reduction of beads, the easier it will be when you come to day zero. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop when you have got there. There is still a little further to go, but it sounds like you are well aware of what needs to be done.

Keep in touch and take care.

IUN

#19 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:35 PM

So hey! I am down to 8 beads a day! It has been rough! When I started trying to go off this in April of last year, I never thought I would still be doing this, of course I never thought this dang pandemic would take this long either! I have had my first vaccine for the covid last week (I am a volunteer EMT, so am in the first batch, or as they call me in my work office, guinea pig, lol) so here's to smashing this dang virus to the curb!

I guess I should  be happy that I am down to 8 beads, probably another week and I will decrease to 7. I have had some pretty low depression times, but I am getting there! I appreciate your help! 

Joy

#20 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:57 PM

Hey, Joy. Great to hear from you. I am glad things haven't got too bad lately. Slow but steady wins the race. Hang in there.

#21 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:48 PM

Great work Joy - remember the self compassion - these days will be very difficult on anyone, so throw in a withdrawal and you have got something akin to chaos. Remember there is no harm in staying put on the same dose for a while if you feel you need a break - there will be no harm in that at all.

IUN

#22 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:06 PM

Ok, so I got down to 4 beads, left that for quite a few weeks, then last week went down to 3 beads. I am having the digestive madness, feel nauseous and just downright awful. I will get there, I am sure, but as I am almost to a year from the start of this nightmare (April 30, 2020 was when I first started reducing) I think wow, I have come a long way. May have to go quite a bit longer than a year to get off this. Your site has been a Godsend for sure. Thank you so much for what you guys do for countless people like myself. I go to the manual and this site for encouragement and to remember that I am not the only one trying to survive this horrible drug. I am happy to be a site supporter! Thank you again...

#23 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:46 PM

Hi Utbj.

Good to hear from you again. Those stomach issues will settle down but don't be surprised if you have some anxiety issues afte that before ytou can drop again, You really examplify the way to do it...slow and steady with an emphasis on slow.  lol

#24 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:24 PM

Crikey - I just about remember this from last year and yes, you have come a long way! Good to have an update.

You for sure did the right thing when you came across out little forum here, but yes it sounds like you could be on of those that are affected by the last few beads. You are by far from being the only one - we see many - some of whom just can't drop that last bead, but I am sure you will be fine. Just take it as slow as it needs as Hat says. 

#25 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:08 PM

As always, thank you for the encouragement and support, seriously, if I hadn't found your site, I would probably be locked up in a mental ward somewhere, (not that it is all bad on the inside, lol... Certainly a good place for people watching, lol and you can make lot's of friends, hahaha)
You guys are making a difference in this world ❤️
Take care,
Joy
(might have to change my handle back to Joyful in the future!)

#26 BecomingJoyfulAgain

BecomingJoyfulAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:10 AM

Good morning!

Ok, I am on day 4 of no Cymbalta at all! I had been on 1 bead for 2 weeks, and felt I could go off. It is not easy, I am having anxiety/panic attacks, but manageable. Also digestive issues, but I have gotten to the point where that is a given, lol....I am down 30 pounds since last October, so that is a plus. I am having issues with focus and concentration, but again, I am at work surviving. I did have to send out a correction email to the entire board this morning for a tiny mistake on a date, lol....When I started withdrawing from this medicine on April 30, 2020, I never realized it would take 509 days until I was off from it. I am so thankful to all you guys for your input, care and concern. My doctor prescribed Clonazepam for my panic attacks, as in her words "I am not worried about YOU becoming addicted to it" haha, however I have not picked it up, because after researching that particular gem, it sounds just as bad if not worse. So, I feel like I am on the road to recovery from the awfulness of Cymbalta, thanks to you guys and your mission to help when doctors have no clue what to do after they have prescribed it.

You guys rock!!!

Joyful 

#27 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 September 2021 - 10:58 AM

Joyful, you have made me joyful too!!!!   Congratulations!!!  Don't push it to fast though.  Your system is still very sensative.

#28 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:28 PM

Congrats! I hope your anxiety and panic attacks mellow out as soon as possible

Klonopin is totally ok if you used once in a while as a rescue med. Or sometimes it's just a nice boost of confidence even just to KNOW that you have it if things get really bad even if you never actually use it. 

#29 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:13 AM

Love it when members return to let us know this wonderful news!

Congratulations from me there Joy! Tough ordeal as you said. You did the right thing and you did it deal. As Hat always says, "slow and steady wins the race"!

Clonazepam is not quite the enemy as Valium, and as frog said, if used on an "as needed" basis and does not get to the point of using purely as a preventative of a mood booster, it can be quite helpful. But if you feel you are coping without it, then you are right to get your system drug-free. What a wonderful thing! 

Thanks again for keeping us all updated and your lovely words. Always here for you Joy - or is it Joyful now?! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users