• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bubbett

bubbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:25 PM

As I try to see to type this,,hoping someone else can explain if they have vision loss /Blurry vision? Almost 3yrs of this HORRIABLE Cymbalta 30mg once a day& a EKG shows some problems so Dr. Said probaly from your med.Go off&no didn't tell me how to wean off it!! So I thought I know can't just stop cold turkey So I got a persc.for 20mgs&started that.Well 1st felt like flu then I wake up& blurry vision.Go to eye dr. I am ok he donest see a problem,So 2weeks 20mgs,Now this last week went down to 10mg& Vision is bad!! So I'm scared so bumbed it back to 20mg today it seems to help with the blurry for a while. So How do I do this? So many weeks at 20mg?and then so many weeks at 10MG& SO ON?  thing is will I get my vision back?Anybody else exsperince this? What Can I do?? Help  :( Thank you

#2 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:04 AM

Hi bubbett and welcome.

First of all, please understand that a number of our members have reported vision problems - you are far from alone with this. You were right to ignore the orders from the doctor and wean off the drug - especially after 3 years. 

The problem is that a drop of 10mg is clearly too much for your system in one go, no matter how long you stay at one dose, and again, this is perfectly normal. A drop from 20 to 10 is a very big jump.

You need to proceed using bead counting, which involves opening up the capsule and removing a certain number of the little beads that are inside, thus making doses of a much smaller drop.

You can read all about it from a quick search on the site, or better yet, download our ebook here;

https://www.cymbalta...tion-the-ebook/

We are more than happy to help you if you can first count the number of beads in your capsules - there are also a number of supplements that help, but first of all you need to stabalise on a dose. It will take a while to get used to 20mg again, as the 10mg jump BACK will cause just as much havoc as the jump down. It may be a good 3-4 weeks for you to settle on 20mg again, and from there you will need to bead count.

Please feel free to ask any questions and again feel safe in the knowledge that many have been there before you... you are never alone!!

IUN

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:13 AM

Yes, many have had this problem. If I remember right there is a section on it in the ebook. Hang in there we are right here if you need us.

#4 bubbett

bubbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:01 PM

Thanks so much for the reply :)  My 30mg caps. have excatly 6 beads in them,,, thats what I was using to count out&down to the 20mg&10mg Will that be ok to do that? I have a whole new bottle so thought it could be easier to just count them out. I did take a 30mg today to see if it helped with my vision& sure enough I could see better.But I know I can't go back to 30mg so I should hang at 20mg for awhile? I found your Ebook helpful,but also to hard to see to read much at this time  B) So Glad to have found this site  :wub:

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:37 AM

That rate of weaning is way too fast. It often takes members 3 or 4 months to wean off 30 mg. Having said that maybe you will be one of the lucky ones that won't have too many problems. There are a couple options. First, explain to you pharmacist that you are weaning and you need a different brand which has the tiny beads inside so you can bead count. Second, you can buy a set of scales and weight out your doses. Each day just scratch off  small amount from one of the beads until you get to the right dose. Be aware that once you get down to a small amount the scales may no longer weight it accurately.

#6 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:19 AM

Yes, you need to stay at 20mg for a while to wait for your vision to balance out.

You have one of the rare "big bead" examples of the med, with 5mg beads, which as Hat said, can be quite difficult in terms of dropping. You do have the option of trying a drop of 5mg (1 bead) at a time, but you may indeed find that this is too much, in which case you will need to switch to the smaller beads - again as Hat mentioned. 

The smaller beads give you much more control over the drop. You could of course cut the big beads in half which will let you drop at 2.5mg, but from memory they do not cut well, and they are also not designed to be cut into to, and therefore, once cut, if is likely that each part will not proportion correctly with the expected level of med (for example, you might get 3mg in one half and 2mg in another... or worse... 5mg in one half and nothing in the other). This would mean you are taking a dose of +/- 5mg each day which will not bode well for your symptoms. 

Glad you have found us here and that we are able to help you. Please continue to ask any questions as needed.

Take care

IUN

#7 bubbett

bubbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:43 PM

HI ,, So still at this weaning,still doing 10mgs,but I am not seeing any improvment in my Blurry vision  :angry: Some days a tiny bit, I might have a few hrs of a bit better.But my depression is getting bad again,as to why I have been on a "Happy pill" since  in my 20's (65) now  :unsure: So can I start on Zoloft while still weaning? as I see it mentioned in here alot. I took that in my 30"s and it worked no side effects at that time. And I have not tried any supplements .  This vision problem popped up at the weridest time also.I had just had Cataract surg.And also started the weaning same time,so at 1st my eyes were Good figured surg. went well then it turn into this blurry& glasses don't help.Poor Dr.I blamed him for botched eye sur. lol  He checked& couldn't find anything wrong.When I told him it could be Cymbalta withdrawls I think he thought I was crazy :o  So question is will my vision be normal again after getting off this Crap? Does anyone else have this& it  cleared up? If not I would be tempted to go back on 30mg Just to have my vision B)  :unsure:

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:43 AM

First, you can cross-taper onto Zoloft while weaning off the Cymbalta if you are only taking 10 mg of the C. One thing to mention, Cymbalta controls serotonin and norepinephrine while Zoloft only controls serotonin. That means that you would have to deal with the imbalance in norepinephrine after the cross taper. That could mean months of anxiety before it settles. There are some supplements as well as prescription meds that may help with this though. 

As far as the vision issues, well normally they start clearing up after about 2 or 3 months after your last dose of Cymbalta and are fairly well gone after 4 to 6 months but of course that is just an average experience. 

#9 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 August 2020 - 08:37 AM

Last time we spoke you were at 20mg, which was a month ago.

If you have dropped 10mg since then, this would answer the blurry vision question for sure....

#10 Lovey

Lovey

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationU.S.
  • why_joining:
    Trying to get off of this poisonous drug. Need support and help!Down from 120mg to 7mg.
    Am currently taking 18 beads 2x per day. A split dose method. 4 am and 4 pm. Pausing to stabilize.

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:49 PM

I have vision issues also. Have been holding steady at 18 beads twice a day for 6 months. It's about 8mg. I have floaters and also see things out of the corner of my eye. Dark flashes that I think is a person or shadow moving but nothing there.

#11 bubbett

bubbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:19 PM

So yes I am at 10mg,,I guess I don't know how long to hang at a dose before moving down to next. Seems like I"m ok for not to many issues,break out swetting& naus.some days,just more of the eye site problems.So when should I lower to next dose&what would that be?  Thanks for your help  :wub:

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:52 AM

That is a hard call. all I can do is tell you what has been successful for me. I read a research paper a few years back where doctors had successfully used blood pressure to decide when to proceed with weaning. In my case if my bp hits around 130 systolic (the top number on your bp)  I usually feel significant withdrawal symptoms. As time passes my bp will slowly lower and my symptoms reduce. Once I hit 100 to 105 systolic I know I and ready to do another drop. One caution. My 'normal' bp runs around 120 over 60 BUT I don't know what your bp usually is. Your situation may be different than mine depending on your starting bp. If you have a blood pressure cuff go ahead and take your bp 4 or 5 times during the day and do an average and let me know what it is and I can give you a rough idea on a set of numbers that might work for you. 

Blood pressure must be taken a certain way. There is a detailed discussion on that in our ebook.

#13 bubbett

bubbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:34 PM

This could be interesting seeing as I am on a blood pres. med. Another side effect,never had high  BP till started this awful drug :angry: But I do have a wrist cuff& mine numbers are right on 120/80 or 125/70.  ;)

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:33 AM

Are those number the same as when not in withdrawal or are they different?

Also, what bp medication are you on?

#15 bubbett

bubbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:24 PM

Those are same numbers before withdrawal & not. My BP med.is   CARVEDILOL 6.25 1X day in the morning I take it.

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:22 AM

Interesting. No spike in bp with the withdrawal. That is unusual. If your bp is holding that steady then you would just wait until you improve enough to feel like you can handle it. When in doubt slower is better but considering your lack of other symptoms the speed at which you reduce is up to you. I wish i could give you a clear cut answer but other than the vision issues you are doing very well. Tough call.

CARVEDILOL is a beta-blocker and usually helps some with the withdrawal symptoms. This is probably explaining why the lack of effect from anxiety compared to most. 

#17 bubbett

bubbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:47 PM

I don't know if it's anxiety,, but I am having another bad day today of just not seeing a future for me.I have struggled most my life of a poor outlook on life& no damn pill will help with that,But I hate this break threw BAD depression from weaning. I just keep in all inside&and don't want to bother anyone with it.  And as you said Dr's don't listen just want to add another pill  :angry: the 3yrs being on Cymb. has only help with my pains  from back/neck issuses.I have complete Lost of Motavtion &will for life or anything that has mattered this whole time.I was struggling with lost of Husband, Daughter&sister all in a matter of a few yrs,so came the start of Cymb. Now to move on to another Happy pill ?  Which there was a simple fix,which I know there isn't .Sorry to sound like such a downer,but that is why I was put on Cymbalta .And I'm AFRAID to try any New antidepression meds.God only knows what there side effects/long term use could do. So if anyone has any Idea's of things to try :meds/supplements Please post  :wub: Thanks for reading  :rolleyes:

#18 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 08 September 2020 - 06:02 AM

Very heart-felt post Bubbett, and your loss of motivation and will for life is shared by many. It can come at you at any time. It can prey on you at your weakest moments. At the moment, I am struggling with a bad patch due to some very upsetting circumstances and of course it worries me as I have been in recovery for almost a year. 

But just as it shows you that I am on 30mg Citalopram and I have been perfectly well, but then have been suicidal as well. So much is circumstantial and anti-depressants will only do so much (if they do work). Therapy, good friends, faith... things I hold onto at these times. 

I share your pain. You are not alone. As I write, your words very much ring true as my mornings can be so painful.

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:03 AM

IUN hit on a key point. Therapy, especially CBT and Mindfulness, have a long history of helping people. They teach you skills you can use to help you deal with your symptoms and stress. 

As far as supplements, what symptoms specifically are you looking to deal with? As IUN said the lack of motivation is common with antidepressants so until there use is lowered or eliminated that will not change significantly.

#20 bubbett

bubbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:04 PM

Hi,,Funny how just that Sweet smile of my 3yr old Great-grandson can change a day :wub: I watch him 7hr days 5days aweek so he is part of my motovation or most of it I say to keep me going :)  THANKS  IUN for letting me in on your feelings& please hang tough as I will also  :hug:

#21 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:37 PM

Bless you Bubbett.

Cherish every moment with your great grandson. The innocence at that age, the wonderment in their eyes - it is a truly amazing thing to behold. 

#22 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 02 October 2022 - 03:34 PM

You may be surprised that I speak Russian and I am aware that you are a spammer looking for business - you are hereby prohibited from posting on on out forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users