#481 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Serenity4ever, You are in the right place! Welcome! Some on the forum have had to use another med to ease the symptoms of w/ds. It sounds like you may be one who needs a small dose of something to get you through this. We're all here for you but imo you need your fam and or close friends to rally behind you! If possible take some time off your regular daily tasks and stay out of a car till you get past the rage. Ask fam to read some of the posts here to help them understand what's going on with you. They won't fully get it, but they need to understand that this is not you it's the w/ds! Make sense? God bless you, friend with a faster recovery and His peace! Be easy on yourself and easy on those around you! I know that's easier said than done, but you can do it! Most of us have been where you are and we get it! Keep posting and stay strong!!  clara

#482 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Ooh, a new s/e to report .... A sore developing on the inside of my lower lip.... Do I treat it with something or just see what happens? I recall, I think, that EquusWoman had sores...or was it ulcers? And what's the difference.... EW, how did you deal with yours? I'm off to search the archives here....

#483 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To get help and support and to be a help and support.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:47 AM

Oh wow, all of the above! And horrendous fluid retention!

#484 julsand

julsand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    quitting cymbalta

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

Here is a list of my Cymbalta Side Effects and Withdrawal Symptoms, along with my personal commentary. (That's a bonus)  Do with it as you will.   ;-)

I took Cymbalta for 3 yrs, and my dosage for the last few months has been 120mg/day.  I quit cold turkey a few days ago.  

5 days clean-WooHoo!

Side Effects During Use:  

Increased sweating/hot flashes -dr    (OMG! Sheesh! This was all the time!)

increased blood pressure -dr            (oh, yes, that's healthy!)

constipation

dizziness

lightheaded

dry mouth

mild weight loss initially         (I was ok w this one)

loss of libido  -dr                    (boo!)

complete loss of all orgasms     (can't believe I'm just now figuring out it's the med causing this.  Gee, I wonder why I'm so sad???))

(btw, this symptom alone is enough to make me to want to burn the rest of my cymbalta in a huge bonfire!)

Symptoms during Withdrawal:

(1st week)

dizziness

mild headache

vivid dreams

frequent bowel movements 

crying spells

vision problems

mood swings

irritability

I experienced a loss of balance getting out of bed last night.  Fell and got a nasty bruise.  

#485 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

Day 8, DC of 60 mg Cymbalta

Similar to julsand:

blurred vision

constant dizziness

VERY emotional

increased bowel function

weight loss (not c/o)

improved appetite (contradictory to above huh?)

thirst

insomnia

even more vivid nightmares

...this too shall pass??? :unsure:

#486 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

This shall pass. Time and patience and it will pass.

#487 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hi folks....need some advice and encouragement....in my 12th week off, cold turkey.....since Sunday aa.m. I've been hit with "something".... Nausea, dizziness, muscle weakness, shakes..with some waves of anxiety tossed in for fun.....I can't eat solid food.....this feels different somehow than those symptoms did when I was early in withdrawal...it's more subtle somehow, but .this is sufficiently bad that I'm even considering going back on a low dose of cymbalta (by putting just a few beads in a gelatin capsule)....in hopes that I would/could stabilize and then bead count from there.....

There's no way I can go back to work, even part time, when I have no idea when a bad day or days is going to hit....

Thoughts?

#488 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

FN, I am thinking a viral infection perhaps. "Nausea, dizziness, muscle weakness, shakes"  And of course feeling sick always adds to the anxiety. If it is some type of viral infection then you should start feeling better by Sunday. You are 12 weeks off, you have to stick it out someway so you don't have to take any more cymbalta. The call is up to you though. It just depends on how bad it is.

#489 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Thank you, Fishinghat ! I'll wait this out....since my earlier post, I did some checking, and what I'm feeling fits with some of the symptoms of optic neuritis....which I've got....transient...so, it's back to the ice on the eyes and self accupressure on them....feels a bit better already....God I'll be glad when the only way I use ice is in lemonade....(almost said booze, but that's no longer on my menu) ....

#490 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Just checking in to report that my "bad spell" seems to have passed...and to thank Fishinghat for talking me off the ledge earlier ...I was ready to cave in and go back on cymbalta....instead I just went back to ice on my eyes....and that seems to have helped tremendously...a flare up of.the optic neuritis was, I think, to blame for almost all of what I was feeling....I also realized that I hadn't eaten since yesterday.....and I'd forgotten to take the supplements....I think I created the anxiety by getting so hyper about everything....

You all are such an immense blessing to me....I would never have made it this far without you....and to Fishinghat, a special thank you...I'm so glad you're here.

#491 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Hang in there Five! You scared me! I shudder to think about going back on any meds for myself and you also! Glad u r riding it out! Hugs and prayers for better days!!  clara :)

#492 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

FN, thanks for the kind words. I am just glad you have improved. Keep up the good fight.

#493 sodone61

sodone61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • why_joining:
    Support and encouragement to discontinue duloxetine, which sounds like a town on Shrek

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

OMG.. great idea..

Crying

Chills

Cold Sweats

Confusion

Crying

Numbness in my extremities

Body and Brain "Zaps"

Fatigue

Anxiety

Crying

Feeling like I'm in the Twilight Zone

Disconnected from Reality

Shortness of Breath

Skin Sensitivity

Crying

Headaches

Nausea

Can't eat

Crying

Disconnected from Other People

Shaky

Did I mention Crying?   lol  Well, at least I'm feeling SOMETHING!

This is crazy...

#494 FreeSoon

FreeSoon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

Oh Sodone61, hang in there.  Keep drinking water/Gatorade to keep up your electrolytes since you seem to suggest you might be CRYING a bit!  Really, the symptoms sound like pregnancy/menopause/flu all rolled up into one!

Hang in there.  You are on your way to freedom.  It will be liberating and peaceful when you are finally drug-free!

#495 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:46 AM

I can attest to the fact that Cymbalta stores in our fat cells & releases on exertion . I have been paying attention to my exercise routines & a definate pattern has formed.
Every time I have a big workout ( on a good day ) , the next day I am floored by returning s/e's .

Yesterday I was feeling the best ever, so went to the gym & did my first full workout. I was ecstatic with how good I felt .

Today , WHAMO .. I'm burning up again , my skin is on fire & I can taste something that tastes very chemical , in my mouth .
I have very little energy & have battled to get through the day .
Hopefully each time this occurs , it means that I am depleting the stored crap & eventually it will run out & I will finally be clean of the CRAPALTA ...

#496 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

Wagtail

Good for you on the workout! Sorry the following day was unpleasant. 

Rest when you have to and work when you can. I think you are viewing the workout as a cleansing activity, and that's positive-- driving the poison out.

#497 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Yep, I agree with wagtail....this is a pattern I'm noticing as well....

The day after my yoga class...which isn't even a big workout...I feel crappy....all the more reason for me to keep going and reduce all the fat cells in which I've got this poison stored up....now that I've signed up for water aerobics, I'm expecting to have a crappy day after that, as well.....

One thing that helps me is to take a loooong hot steam bath after class...I wonder if my sweat were to be tested ...would crapalta show up in it?

#498 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

Wagtail, get a load of this research article.... A woman who was on duloxetine reported that the soles of her feet (skin) felt like they were burning... Sounds like what you've been suffering with!

http://journals.lww....rapy.99482.aspx

I posted this in the "cymbalta in the news" forum as well.....

#499 shebakikki

shebakikki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:47 AM

Does anyone have a skin rash, i'm about 10 days off Cymbalta! cold turkey what fun!!!!!!!!!! I guess I had most of the symptoms listed.

#500 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:21 AM

Hi shebakikki, welcome! I'm up with my "good friend" insomnia, and just saw your post..... Congratulations on two weeks off the poison!

I'm almost 4 months off, cold turkey like you.....I was taking 60 mg a day for about 7-8 years....you're in the hardest part of the process right now....the first two weeks are the worst....the whole first month is hard....then things begin to improve, little by little...and you'll start to get your life...and real self back....it's worth all the struggle, I assure you! You can do this!

In answer to your question...yes, skin rashes can be one of the "fun" symptoms.... Another member of our group here, wagtail, has had lots of skin trouble...as have a few others....it's statistically "rare" .... But yep, it happens... As you likely saw above, I had a sore inside my lip area....I also had a sensation of my skin itching at one point...

Can you give us a bit more info about the rash.....where on your body, any lesions or sores, is it burning sensation, etc....also, what dose of cymbalta were you on and for how long?

Here are links to some skin-related discussions we've had....

https://www.cymbalta...g-and-prickling

https://www.cymbalta...rash#entry38125

https://www.cymbalta...ing-and-burning

https://www.cymbalta...oxetine-therapy

Please stay in touch, we care and want to help you any way we can!

Edited by FiveNotions, 26 March 2014 - 02:23 AM.

#501 shebakikki

shebakikki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

I was taking 60 mg for two years, felt better pain wise but the side effects were not worth it anymore, constipation, looked like I was 9 months pregnant, now I go everyday feels so good, stomach gone down to a small belly. Mentally feel like i'm alive again, like I came out of a fog I have everyday pain that I sooner live with then to ever take Cymbalta again!!!! I've had burning pain & hives  on my arms & legs not so much the burning now but sensitive skin.

#502 shebakikki

shebakikki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

I was taking 60 mg for two years, felt better pain wise but the constipation I looked like I was 9 months pregnant now I go every day feels so good!!! I have pain every day but I will live with it, never again will I be on Cymbalta. I feel like my last 2 years were a fog and my head is clear now it's like I woke out of a 2 year sleep. The hives & burning across the top of my back the hives under my skin on my back arms legs & burning feet. I'm mad that no one mentioned the side effects of being on or going off Cymbalta!!!!

#503 shebakikki

shebakikki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

I'm so glad I found this site just to see I'm not the only one. I felt like I was falling apart, cold turkey was hard but I did it & I'm still here to talk about it thank you!

#504 shebakikki

shebakikki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

julsand;  I had all your symptoms & now I can feel so much & orgasms again yes!!!!!!!!! I thought I'm only 48 and that's It for my sex life, I'm so happy! :)

#505 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

Good to hear from you shebakikki! And what wonderful news/progress you have to report....

Seems like you're going to be one of the lucky ones who gets through withdrawal and into recovery relatively quickly.....that's a huge blessing!

Keep us posted, we love to hear good news!

#506 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Yes that is good to hear from Shebakkiki. That is one of those sx. we don't talk a whole lot about. Nonetheless it is a real part of life. Plz. stay in touch as FN has asked so that we can give you a shout out and plus it helps everyone here too. :D

#507 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'm so glad I found this site just to see I'm not the only one. I felt like I was falling apart, cold turkey was hard but I did it & I'm still here to talk about it thank you!

Glad that you found this site. A wonderful place with ppl who can relate.

We often have the same symptoms. Some worse than others.

But it gets better. Has for me with each passing day...

:hug:

#508 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

Today marks the completion of my 4th month off cymbalta.... I currently have a constant low-grade headache, intermittent optic neuritis, and killer insomnia.... And remain very sensitive to emotions.... And I can happily live with those issues, if they are to be permanent....because I feel alive again!

#509 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Shebakikki

Congratulations on stopping the Cymbalta. We are all mad that we weren't given a thorough briefing (informed consent) before starting this drug. 

The return of emotion, physical senses, and intellectual capacity following Cymbalta is the closest thing to a miracle I've ever experienced. I am happy you are feeling something similar!

Just a heads-up- recovery and healing comes in waves-- withdrawal symptoms begin with large swells that slowly diminish over the months to calmer conditions with smaller ripples. There are some ups and downs, and some folks are seriously tempted to re-start the drug to stop the pain. But things steadily improve, and these temptations diminish. 

Stay strong, and find something to engage and distract your passion from the hyper-introspective mindset we get during withdrawal.

Best wishes!

#510 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

FiveNotions

Four months is out in the sunlight; congratulations! Your post could be my post.

The emotions will firm up- just now they're an organ out-of-body, new-born and delicate. And you know, there may be an opportunity to preserve and foster some of the tender and gentle aspects of this new succulent that's majestically appeared in your garden.

Take care.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users