• Please log in to reply
845 replies to this topic

#601 hislaugh

hislaugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:34 PM

Among many of the symptoms you have listed I am having trouble breathing and am having constant nosebleeds. My body aches all over and at times it is as if I have the flu but no fever. I plan on going to my GP tomorrow and possibly my chiropractor to try to get some relief in my joints. I have fought suicidal thoughts all my life and have been on many medicines and natural herbs and have come off of many, some of which have been pulled from the market by the FDA. I have been through so much and when I have another episode of major depression I am put on this newer drug, Cymbalta, for depression and coming off of it is ruining my life. When I am tending to my kids or doing house work my nose pours blood and will clot but will not completely stop. Now I find it is bleeding and draining in my throat at night and becoming clots I have to cough up and it makes me so sick to my stomach. I am ready for this HELL to be over! I pray for each and everyone of you that are going through the withdrawals of this medicine also! 

#602 houseofmiro

houseofmiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

Mother of pearl hislaugh, I'm so sorry you're experiencing such horrid effects.  How did everything at your GP's go?

#603 finallycomingoff

finallycomingoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

I started to come off cymbalta because I started to experience weird semi-hallucinations- my brain kept wrongly interpreting things in my peripheral vision that kept making me jump or feel anxious. It was weird and unsettling. I have been on it for 2 years and after the initial phase of getting used to taking it, it helped me a lot but then recently my brain began feeling weird and I kept having a days where I felt like I was with drawing even though I had taken the full dosage. After that I just decided to be done with it so I'm slowly tapering off. A symptom I haven't seen mentioned is constant ringing in my ears. I have found taking vitamin d3 and high dose omega 3 fish oil 2x day helps ENOURMOUSLY with the brain zaps- they stop happening if I take the fish oil so please try this if you are having this symptom. I also notice my feelings are a lot stronger right now and I feel like crying a lot. Best of luck to all.

#604 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

FCO, that "ear thing" is called tinnitus ... and if you search the forum archives, you'll find tons of comments/posts about it ... very, very common ... and, for me, it started while on the crap, disappeared totally for about the 4th month I was off the crap ... I could hear my kitchen and living room clocks ticking s singing ... hadn't heard either of those....ever ... now, unfortunately, it's back, pretty much full force all the time ... I think it's going to be one of my "permanent gifts" remaining from the drug ... I've learned to live with it, given I've had it ever since I was put on Cymbalta, about 9 years ago now ...

The fish oil is one of our "basic group" of supplements that we usually recommend ... multi-vitamin, B-complex, chelated magnesium, and Omega 3 Fish Oil ... and yep, the fish oil sure helped me with the "zaps" ...

ain't this a fun process? ... treating ourselves, symptom by symptom, as we move through the brain re-wiring ... I had ... still have ... a whole basket of supplements, tinctures, other home remedy odds and ends, that I carried with me around the apartment, depending on where I was ... by my bed mostly for the first several months ... now it sits next to me on the sofa ... almost 12 months after my last Cymbalta capsule...I still "dip into it" daily ... :P

#605 Rita1955

Rita1955

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:13 AM

I was taking cymbalta for chronic hip pain need a hip replacement. Went from 60mg to 30 mg to 20 mg now just finished one 20mg every other day, doing 20mg every 2 days... Zaps, crying, fits of rage, sooooo depressed, hearing cows moo when there are no cows, silver ware sounding like chimes there isn't any. I'm about to lose it. .25 Xanax once a day, dr afraid I will get addicted, I have pain pills hydrocodon/asprin for pain, they do nothing for this withdrawl, how longgggggggggg till this is over? I never had problems like this.

#606 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

oh no, Rita, don't do it that way, please!!! The alternating day/dose thing is putting you into and taking you out of cold turkey withdrawal, repeatedly ... and that's what's making you so sick ... stop that at once (did your idiot doc tell you that's how to do it?)

Get back on the Cymbalta, at the lowest dose at which you were last stable ... and stay there until you stabilize again ...and are stable for about a week ... then, start bead counting your way down ... we can tell you how to bead count ... basically, it means opening the capsule and removing a couple of beads (sometimes even just 1, we had another member, EquusWoman, who had used crapalta because of hip replacement and osteoarthritis ... she had to remove just one bead a day, and not every day...and she got off it successfully) ...

Don't make this harder on yourself than it already is ... please reinstate and then bead count down ...

And please stay here with us ... we'll do everything we can to help you ... and you will get off this stuff!!!

Hang in there!!!

#607 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

Rita, welcome to the forum,

Fivenotions is absolutely right. 100% right.
Please do reinstate at the lowest dose you were comfortable with.

Every day, you take it. Never every other day.

And check the box with follow this topic to your upper right, so you can receive immediate reply in your personnal e mail address.

#608 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:37 PM

I was taking cymbalta for chronic hip pain need a hip replacement. Went from 60mg to 30 mg to 20 mg now just finished one 20mg every other day, doing 20mg every 2 days... Zaps, crying, fits of rage, sooooo depressed, hearing cows moo when there are no cows, silver ware sounding like chimes there isn't any. I'm about to lose it. .25 Xanax once a day, dr afraid I will get addicted, I have pain pills hydrocodon/asprin for pain, they do nothing for this withdrawl, how longgggggggggg till this is over? I never had problems like this.

FN and Gail offer sound advice. nothing makes me angrier than learning about those who took the C for pain relief , not depression or anxiety, but end up with serious mental health issues because of the drug. how does any doctor explain that? 

#609 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Rita1955

I was given Cymbalta for pain as well and have to warn you that you may experience a lot of rebound pain that no pain meds will help with even when you taper off. I know I had more pain than I had before taking the med. Gentle exercise was the only thing that helped and heat.

It's a double whammy for us to have the Zaps and other side effects and then the pain too.

I pray that you don't have any of the long term problems that I have had from taking this med as brzghoff is right that many of us that were given this med for conditions other than depression have developed other issues.

Take care of you

#610 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

Welcome Rita!

We're happy you found us!  The info you received from FiveNotions is right on...

I also went cold turkey - not a fun trip!  I have been off for almost a year now and am through the majority of the problems - even the sleep issues are getting better!  The worst part was the anxiety that I had starting at about 5 months off.

I have fibro and arthritis and use Hydrocodone which helps a good deal.  I also use ibuprofen...  Do you have any benzo for when the anxiety hits?  I used/use Alprazolam (Xanax) but don't need it except for sleep at this point.  The anxiety faded gradually and one day I realized that it was gone!

Please come back often to let us know what you are feeling, ask questions, rant, cry or whatever you need - we want to help!

Liz 

#611 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

I too was given it for pain. The bonus was that it was suppose to lift me up as well...

#612 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:48 PM

Good to see you, xman!

Did it give you a lift as well - in the beginning?

#613 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

Xman,

Nice to see you, but I gather that the three small points made at the end of your phrase mean that things are not on the upside. Sorry.

#614 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

Xman, so good to hear from you! Please tell us how you're doing, we've missed you!

#615 getsetgo

getsetgo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:31 AM

Hi there, I'm new here and glad I found this site. I decided to quit Cymbalta (or it's various generics) cold turkey today but after reading and researching a lot I've taken a tablet after about 18 hours without one and will refill my script while I develop a tapering plan. I figured this was a good place to start posting.

I was put on Cymbalta after being knocked off my scooter by a van in early 2012 and having widespread muscular damage/ pain as a result. I also was suffering from PTSD.

Positive effects of using Cymbalta.

Significantly less worry

Almost no anxiety (after about a year)

Reduction in muscular pain (although this may also just be due to time and other things like physio/ rehab etc)

Other side effects of using Cymbalta.

Massive weight gain - 20kg in 2.5 years - my boobs have increased by 4 cup sizes and I've gone up two dress sizes

Huge increase in alcohol conumption - didn't really put this down to the meds until I read others' posts. I almost didn't drink at all but now it's normal to drink half a bottle of wine most nights of the week. I can also easily drink a whole bottle without even feeling that drunk.

Almost no hangovers - this one is actually kind of awesome.

A very "devil may care" attitude - I used to look at this as a good thing but it has severely affected my reputation at work, I've taken some very careless risks to my health and general wellbeing and done some pretty stupid stuff which I would NEVER have even considered prior to taking this medication.

Lethargy and laziness - I could literally just sleep all day if I didn't have something I had to get up for. I find it really difficult to get going in the morning. This teamed with my "whatever" attitude has almost cost me my job since I'm always late. I also have now become knowns as "unreliable" in many areas of my life.  I almost NEVER clean my house any more as I a) can't be bothered and B) don't really care.

Skin problems - I've always had eczema but it's gotten much more widespread since this medication.

Oddly emotional then deadened - I'm not sure how to describe this one very well. Basically I'll get super upset about something and then a while later I really couldn't care less.

Out of control spending - I used to have a very detailed budget and financially was quite responsible. Now I just put bills in a box if I even bother to open them at all and I'm over $10k in debt. I just don't seem to care if I have enough money or not, I just spend on whatever I feel like.

Symptoms that I'm not sure are related to Cymbalta but seem to fit the timeframe

tinnitus

Short term memory loss/difficulties

Difficulty concentrating

Difficulty making decisions

Numbness and tingling in my hands/fingers

Bad spatial awareness/ clumsiness

Changed tastes in foods

Binge eating / never really feeling full or satisfied

Withdrawal symptoms - I've not gone off the tablets for more than 24 hours at any one time - mostly when i've forgotten to take it

Brain Zaps - electric shocks from my brain out through my eyes

Dizziness

Nausea

Feeling like I'm hungover even if I didn't drink anything (so unfair!)

Moodswings

Spontanious tears

Feeling really down

Hugely increased lethargy

Minor blackouts/ loss of vision

I don't want to stay on this as I'm a completely different person to who I was before. Some changes are good an I hope I can maintain those but some are just too scary/risky to continue.

#616 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

Getsetgo welcome to the forum,

Very smart move to renew prescription. All you describe while on the C, is typical. Drinking, spending, don't give a s**t and the rest.

I have not gone through this though. Short time on it, only anxiety was the main side effect.

I presume that you will bead count. In the What are you feeling topic, you will find the correct way to do this with minor side effects.

Others will come by to great you and will answer what ever question that you may have.

You have come to the right place, love your Getsetgo name. And don't forget to check the box to your upper right Follow this topic so as not to get lost.

#617 getsetgo

getsetgo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

Hey there Gail. Thanks for the welcome. I haven't read much on the bead counting method yet so I'll see what I think of it once I do that.

#618 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

Welcome getsetgo!

We're so happy that you've found us!

Everything you say about how you are acting/feeling while on this drug echo exactly what most of us have experienced!  The worst was the drinking and the spending-I did exactly the same!!

You have made a great decision to get off this poison.  The safest and most comfortable way is the Bead Counting.  I wish that I had known about this, as I dove off 60mg/day to 0 cold turkey.  NOT THE WAY TO GO! I have been off for a year now, but it was the year from Hell! :angry:  In bead counting, you control the withdrawal and there is no time line here.  It takes as long as it takes.  The faster you down dose, the worse the symptoms!

If you would, please tell us what dosage you are on, how long you have been taking it, are you on any other meds, and is this the name brand (Eli Lilly) or generic?  Your answers are important...  we want to help you and we care!

Please come back to let us know your answers and remember - NO COLD TURKEY!  Those of us older peeps (over 50) seem to have the worst time - it really does seem to be age-related as to the withdrawal symptoms.

We look forward to hearing from you again soon!

#619 getsetgo

getsetgo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:47 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm 34 and am on a 60mg dose. I've been taking it for about two years. I started on the brand name one but sometimes I get a generic brand if the chemist offers it as it's a bit cheaper. Luckily for me I'm in Australia so it only costs me about $38 per month - I can't believe how much some people have to pay for this stuff!

I'm not on any other meds except ventolin as I need it for my asthma. When I was suffering the worst of my pain I was taking a lot of ibuprofen or codeine and that really mucked with me while also being on the Cymbalta. I don't take any other painkillers at all now if I can avoid it. Just use a heat bag and massage/stretch to relieve the pain as best as possible.

Other side effects I forgot to put in my post include the heavy sweating. I can wake up absolutely drenched in the middle of the night.

Also the inability to filter what I say at times. I get so frustrated by people! I absolutely went off at my boss at work one day and still can't really believe I wasn't fired!

Very impulsive too.

I'm so impatient! I really want to just stop this stuff but I'm trying to be sensible and do it slowly.

#620 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

Hi again getsetgo...

In order to bead count, you need to be on either the brand name OR the generic.  Your counting needs to be consistent!  (Here I am, one who didn't know about bead counting, trying to tell you about it!)  Be that as it may, there is info under Are You New Here, entitled Bead Counting - How To Do It, which covers both generic and brand name.  It may be quicker to type "Bead Counting" in the Search box - hope that will do it.  There is a chart done by ThisMoment regarding the 60mg brand name dated Jan 3 that is excellent! 

I know that you feel impatient, but remember that you also want to remain comfortable throughout this process and you will make it!

Please check out this info - I know that there is info on 60mg - both brand name and generic.  I'm sorry that I am so tech-challenged that I can't post a link for you, but you'll find it!

You have your age in your favor, so please go slowly and you will be OK!  Please ask questions if you need to - we will help you get through this! 

#621 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:50 AM

Hi getsetgo

Welcome.

How many beads in your 60 mg capsule?

Do you have anxiety, and if so, do you have something specifically for that?

How will you deal with the residual pain from the injuries?

Thanks.

Your description of Cymbalta symptoms is dead-on! 

#622 getsetgo

getsetgo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

Thanks tryinginfl :-)
This moment, so far I haven't opened the capsules so I'd really have no idea. The generic brands are different depending on what chemist I go to, so perhaps it's best that I just ask for the brand name one from now on. I'm due to fill my script so Whe I get a brand name pack I'll open one up and count them..... Sounds like so much fun......

I'm so surprised at how many things I've been going through over the last couple of years are on everyone's list! I never thought to put half this stuff down to the meds!

I had anxiety related to the ptsd I suffered after the accident. At that time I was also with a husband who was quite emotionally abusive so I had some anxiety issues there as well. I'm no longer with the husband.... Another thank you to the meds and the accident (not sure if I'm 100% sarcastic or genunine with those thanks!). I had plenty of cognitive behavioural therapy sessions etc with s psychologist and feel like I'd be able to cope with any lasting anxiety issues. I think the main reason they put me on cymbalta was for the pain, with the benefit of helping my anxiety as a bonus.

Pain wise, I have no idea how much of my reduction in pain has to do with the meds and how much to do with my actual physical recovery. The only way to know for sure is to stop taking anything and see..... I think I'd cope with the pain via other painkillers, massage, physio, stretching and general strengthening....

#623 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:51 PM

Hi gsg, Welcome to the forum! Your post is perfect in describing the side effects of Cymbalta, thank you! Should you decide to taper and do the bead counting, highly recommend it, your post will be a great reminder of why you chose to get off it when the difficult days of tapering/withdrawal hit. I can relate 100% and needed this reminder of the damage it did while taking up to 120mg over a 10 year period :o i have days where I think it was working and why did I go off it! Your post reminded me of the condition I was in and why I needed to get off the Crap!

Stay with us and keep posting. We are all impatient when deciding to get off the poison, but tapering sensibly is much easier than the pure insanity of cold turkey:( You know better now after reading the posts here. Make the 'sensible' choice, please. Be kind to yourself.

#624 AJ1212

AJ1212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:57 AM

This is my first post. I'm off cymbalta about 10 days and I came off because it didn't help my pain and it made me depressed. I now have such bad anxiety that my hands shake all day. I'm scared all day and afraid to leave the house. This is horrible. I still make it to work and try to hide that my hands shake and when someone calls my name I jump and heart races. I'm dizzy nausea, wake up in cold sweats 5 times a night. I have caught myself having insane thoughts that I never had before. I can't wait to take trazadone and try to sleep to not be miserable. I'm short tempered with my wife and kids. Somedays I think there better off without me. I Was put on this by pain management dr and he is a terrible person for making me take this over other meds I tolerated. I have appointment Friday to see a shrink for the first time cause I can't take living like this much longer. It's taken over a week to get in and see her. I pray I picked the right one cause it was confusing so I called my Eap to recomend someone. I hope she can give me a medication to make this anxiety stop.

#625 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:50 AM

Hey AJ1212 Welcome

You are suffering from Discontinuation Syndrome from stopping the Cymbalta. All your symptoms indicate that. The good news is that you will be all right but without the right help it could be a little rough for a bit and take some time.

I hope you get a pdoc (psychiatrist) that understands this. The easiest way to help you right now is to take a low dose of a different SSRI antidepressant with a long half life. Something that settles the serotonin in your system.

It gets better.

Take care of you

#626 getsetgo

getsetgo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:33 AM

Hi again... I forgot to add some of the other symptoms of being on this:

Being on it:

Vivid, vivid, vivid dreams. The only other time I've had dreams like these are when I was pregnant

Carpal tunnel syndrome (or at least, something that the drs seem to think fits it)

General bloatiness/gassy

Short attention span

Inability to do more than one thing at a time

Withdrawal symptoms:

Loss of words

Slurred speach

General slowness

#627 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:18 AM

AJ1212

Yes, she will give you something to control the anxiety. Right now that's the most important thing to do!

You are in full-blown Cymbalta cold-turkey discontinuation! You could try re-instatement and then taper off slowly; you could upload some other SSRI that's easier to withdraw from-- but that will take several weeks to work; or continue cold-turkey and weather the storm-- the anxiety meds will help A LOT!!

"Some days I think they are better off without me (the children)." Right now that's probably true-- your behavior (whatever it is) is building their minds.

Hopefully you will get appropriate support from the psychiatrist. Hang in there!

#628 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:52 AM

AJ1212

Please don't think that they are better off without you. You are going through a rough time but NEVER are they better off without you, That is the withdrawal talking. I know I spent much of my withdrawal time feeling useless and a burden to my husband but he was there for me all the way once he realized that it was the med that was causing all my symptoms.

Get your wife to read some of these posts so that she can understand what is happening to you and she can be a big help in getting you through this.

While if does take another antidepressant a while to "upload" to clinical dose levels, it can have some immediately relief (within a few days) for some of the discontinuation symptoms, at least it did for me.

Take care of you

#629 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

Here's a comment meant to be understood in general: If discontinuation manifests itself in rage, menacing outbursts, and/or violence (as is often the case), children must not be exposed to this mind-altering behaviour; they must be protected and removed to a safe place.

#630 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:38 AM

Sorry thismoment

I took the comment "They would be better off without me" in an entirely different way than you did. When it was me saying it I was seriously considering ending my own life so when someone makes that kind of comment it greatly concerns me. There have been too many suicides among those discontinuing this vile drug and I would hate for someone else to die by their own hand because of it.

Of course I would not want children to be hurt in any way if someone were being violent but then if the person is being that violent then they should be going to the hospital for help or at least contacting their doctor for something to calm them down.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)