68 replies to this topic

#1 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:
    Needing support coming off this horrible med!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hi everyone, I am new here. I was prescribed Cymbalta two years ago after I had my daughter. I tapered down using the counting beads method, I got down to around 7 mgs and then stopped. I tapered for almost 11 months. At first after stopping, I was easy angered and crying a lot. I knew it had to be from stopping and my body would need to adjust. (I went through this before with Effexor) I am now approx. 8 weeks off, and most day are HORRIBLE! I cry, I can't sleep, I can't hardly function but I have to. I am a mom! Two days ago I reinstated to the 7mg dose, bad side effects but I slept, I really don't want to stay reinstated, what should I do?? Help!! Thanks in advance :)

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Welcome lovemy3girls, Cymbalta is fat soluble and extra cymbalta is stored in fat tissue and the liver. As you wean off the cymbalta, especially at the end of weaning, you start drawing this cymbalta out of the tissues. This causes the last of the withdrawal to be drawn out. First of all stay at 7 mg. Next, start taking 1000 or 2000 mg of omega 3. Cymbalta is soluble in Omega 3. This will help flush the last of the cymbalta out of your system. Now there is a risk that the withdrawal will get worse before it gets better if you do this. Your only other route is to set at 7 mg and wait it out. This  may take several weeks with things normally getting better around week 3 or 4. This reaction to cymbalta with the extended withdrawal (over a year) is considered by researchers to only occur in about 3% of the cases. Another option is to go one one of the weaker ssri like lexapro, zoloft, or prozac. Use a low dose. Once you are stable you can start weaning off this new ssri. I choose the 3 with the easiest withdrawal. Think this over and let us know if you have questions.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

I thought I would let you know you are not alone. I know of at least 4 or 5 on this site right now that are at 1 year or longer. Hang in there and God bless.

#4 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thank you so much for your timely response, I take Omega 3 but will start taking more as I am not close to that dose. So even though I only took two days worth of the 7mg I should stay there?

#5 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

fishinghat, do you know of anything that may help calm me down, or the most important help with sleep?

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Yes, the half life is 12 hours for cymbalta so two days is enough to establish that 7 mg in your body. Stay there til stable. I wish I could say it would be soon but only your body will know the answer to that.

In regard to calming down or sleep I would suggest maybe a prescription for hydroxyzine. It is a week drug which helps control seratonin but is NOT an ssri and is NOT habit forming. 50 to 100 mg at bed time does me well. Try not to take any benzos like ativan, xanax, etc as they are very addictive and you will only have to go through more withdrawal later.

#7 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

I'm allergic to hydroxyzine :( I have heard it helps many though! Thank you very much, I just can't function without sleep! I am very happy that I came across this site..

#8 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

I got really mean, after taking the 7mg dose is that normal? I was being mean to everyone in my house

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Unluckily emotional swings is one of the most common withdrawal effects. When I went through my withdrawal I had spells of anger so bad I actually hit my boat with my fists!! Bummer! And my boat was aluminum and I really dented it bad. lol  Hang in there things will get better.

#10 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Thanks, I am doing the best I can for now. Hitting an aluminum boat does sound painful.. lol!

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

Oh yea sleep. DUH!  I am going to attach a document from my doctor that helps me sleep but until you get you anxeity under control it may be tough.

#12 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

Thank you, there are some excellent tips in there! Does anyone suggest taking a Melatonin supplement? Or Theanine? Sorry about so many questions.

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Never worry about asking too many questions. We have all been there and had others help us when we needed it.

Many peopple have used theanine with various degrees of sucess but I don't remember hearing too many success stories about melatonin. I am not a real expert on those suplements. I am sure someone else will jump in here and address that. You can also do a search for those and find out what everyone has said or suggest in the past.

#14 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

I'm allergic to hydroxyzine :( I have heard it helps many though! Thank you very much, I just can't function without sleep! I am very happy that I came across this site..

Have you tried taking a Benadryl?   I have been taking 1 before bed for the past 3 nights, and it has helped a little.   Also, it is easy to obsess about the withdrawal symptoms.  I find that the more I focus my energy and thoughts on other things,  the less severe the symptoms of the withdrawals are.   I'm sure you'll find something here that works for you.  

I got my doctor to write a script for Xanax, and that has also helped; but I am hesitant to use it very much.  The last thing I want is another withdrawal experience.   But...if I can't sleep after the Benadryl, that is my next option.     I only tried it the first night that I started having these symptoms (2 nights ago).  I don't think I would have slept without it.   

#15 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

I have tried Benadryl, no avail. My doc prescribed me Trazodone but that's just another that I will have to taper off. I already take Klonopin, and once I am done with this, I will then begin a very slow taper off of it. THank you for your suggestions, and the care to take time to respond. I know I will make it through but it's very hard right now. My husband is on the verge of leaving me because he doesn't understand at all. I feel alone in my own home and it's awful. My two kids are my world and I know that I can get back to the old me but it's going to take time.

#16 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

I have tried Benadryl, no avail. My doc prescribed me Trazodone but that's just another that I will have to taper off. I already take Klonopin, and once I am done with this, I will then begin a very slow taper off of it. THank you for your suggestions, and the care to take time to respond. I know I will make it through but it's very hard right now. My husband is on the verge of leaving me because he doesn't understand at all. I feel alone in my own home and it's awful. My two kids are my world and I know that I can get back to the old me but it's going to take time.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with the stress of the withdrawals, raising your kids, and stress with your husband.   Hopefully, you can redirect some of the resentment you feel toward the Cymbalta.  It's hard for family/friends to understand what this is like when they aren't going through it.  At the same time, I'm sure I have lacked understanding int he past for something as well - perhaps this is Karma (for me).  Try to be patient with yourself and with your husband.  You are so close to the finish line.   Once you get there, I'm know you are going to feel like a new person.  

Thismoment has had some pretty good ideas for reducing stress through meditation.  Of course, it may be comical to think of finding a moment to meditate during a day of raising young children.   I am just suggesting that you try to find something to distract you from Cymbalta.  The less power we give it, the better.  Plus,  I am finding that when I think too much about the withdrawals, my anxiety gets greater; and I feel worse.      

Let the people here on this site be your sounding board as much as possible, since we truly can relate to the side effects of this medication.  Perhaps that will allow you to feel more "present" with your family.     I know you will find peace of mind soon.     

#17 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

Your words are too kind! I thank you so much :) I truly already feel better just being able to type out how I feel to those that know how it is. I am going to need support and letting fellow members help me will probably help me engage with my family more instead of isolating and googling remedies all day. I hate Cymbalta! I'm so pissed that the docs convinced me to go on it as a "just for now" med, and now I am suffering worse than initially. Big ((HUGS)) to all of you. We will all get there, I guess some days are just worse than others.I am going to look into the meditation, my husband is great tending to the kids when he gets home. Maybe it will deescalate me, and calm me for an evening with the family.

#18 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

LM3G hi.

I read your posts and I empathize with your position. Can you give me a little review please?

When did you last take Cymbalta? 

What other meds do you take?

If I were to ask, "What is your first priority?", what would you say?  You might say- to get healthy, to get better, to get off this crap, to go back to where I was before, to go back to where my marriage used to be. 

Often the way we perceive and then describe our primary 'mission' affects the outcome because of our approach. It's true in chess, making muffins and putting on socks and shoes. There's no way around it, the socks simply have to go on first.

I'm not saying this isn't the case, but if you were to re-define the total mission in the following terms, would it narrow the perspective just a little- to help you get a grip on some issues that seem out of control?  I offer the following for discussion purposes:

The first priority has to be the children: we are building their brains right now, and everything we show them becomes a part of who they will become and how they will engage the world. Every act of compassion, every moment of tenderness, every apology, every forgiveness, every kiss, every acknowledgement of suffering, every sharing of burden will act directly to construct their brains- and I mean physically; it gets locked in and it's very difficult to change! Of course the same is true of negative things we show them.

We still attend to our health and work our way back to equilibrium, but it's negotiated through the lens of the needs of the children.

Dear LM3G I was in you place, and I know how easy it is for us adults to block our partners and self-medicate in isolation. And yes it's easy from out here, but I do know what you are going through- your pain is familiar to me, and you still have to get healthy.

I wish you great success in your struggle. You will get through this- you have to- you have a sacred mission to complete! 

#19 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

Thismoment, Thank you for your wonderful words that are filled with care and sincerity that I felt with every word read. In answering your question: "What is my first priority?" My children, always. They are the reason I don't give up. The last time I took Cymbalta was today, I reinstated 3 days ago at approx. 7mgs. Yesterday and today have been at 4.5mgs. I slept good last night and so far my anxiety is less, I am less symptomatic. I can't believe how my body metabolizes this stuff. I thought after 6 weeks off I would have been fine, NOT! I was losing my mind. My husband is angered that I reinstated, I just don't know what else to do. I totaled my car Nov 6 I was a complete mess, one thing after another and I just couldn't cope. Now where do I go from here, I want off this chain this crap has me on. I am also on Klonopin, which I have been on for 13 years, yep that's right THIRTEEN YEARS! I was put on it after my first child was born, and every time symptoms of anxiety or insomnia would come back the docs kept upping my dose. I am going to do a slow titration with the Klonopin as soon as I am stable. Thank you so much everyone for the overwhelming response and words of encouragement and wisdom! HUGS!

#20 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

LM3G, you are so welcome!

Going back on the Cymbalta until you stabilize is precisely what many of us advocate. Operate from a position of strength, and taper off when you are ready.

Before you start weaning again, take care of those housekeeping items that require your full emotional bandwidth. And go slow when you start, even one bead at a time.

Have a friend to confide in- the friend that supports your decisions, and does not judge you. Sometimes we have to 'build' a friend by telling them precisely what we need from them, and let them decide if they can do it.

Anxiety is the mind-killer, and you need to keep it at bay. I also took a benzodiazepine for several years for anxiety. I weaned off it and now keep some in the cabinet, and most of the time it works by just knowing it's there.

Stay strong!

#21 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

Thanks thismoment, I am doing pretty good today so far, and had a good day with my family yesterday. I feel wiped out by the end of the day but I know it's he drug and it will soon be over. Thanks for all the encouragement! :)

#22 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:54 AM

I am happy for you!

Christmas is a stressful time of year, and emotions often run high. I wish you continued success!!

#23 jenniesue

jenniesue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta Crisis. Need Help.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hello I am so scared and confused right now. I am in total SHOCK. I don't even know where to start. In the last week I have found out a lot of scary things about Cymbalta. I have been on 180 mg for almost 6 years. The Doctor dropped me down to 120 mg for about 6 months and has just put me back up to 180 mg. The father of my children and I have been discussing all of my health problems in the last week. We have a wonderful relationship. He asked me what meds I am on. I told him only Cymbalta the Doctor put me on it for chronic pain. He started researching it. Two weeks ago I passed out. This was not the first time. I had started taking Aleve. The first thing he came across was the combo of the two can cause heart failure. And from there Pandora's box was opened. I have had seizures, major blood issues including DVT/ Blood Clots, fainting spells, numbness in my entire body, vision problems, vomiting and nausea to the point some people in my life think I have an eating disorder, Brain pains that are out of this world, memory loss, confusion, disoriented, anger, depression, and loss of total mobility to the point of being in a wheel chair, or using a walker. I could go on and on. Over the last 6 years my life has fallen apart. I have two children at home 12 and 8. I just want my life back. Someone PLEASE HELP. 

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Sorry to hear of all your problems jenniesue. My sympathy to you and your family.  A look at your symptoms causes some confusion. Certainly many of these are or can be due to Cymbalta use. But things like the DVT would be highly unlikely as Cymbalta usually slows down clotting and therefore reduces the risk of blood clots. Your dosage is near max so it is not surprising you would have some of these side effects for sure. Has the Cymbalta helped your pain any? I also assume that you didn't have any of this (except the pain) before you started taking Cymbalta, right? The sentence you wrote "I have had seizures, ...." Did those symptoms start right after starting Cymbalta, slowly develop with time or just start after the aleve usage? I am sorry to ask a lot of questions but it may shed some clues to the cause. Have you talked to your doctor about these issues. For example all the symptoms in that sentence have been attributed to Cymbalta except the DVT/clots. Hang in there.

#25 jenniesue

jenniesue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

The DVT/Blood Clots were after I lost a pregnancy. Yes I was placed on Cymbalta for pain. The seizures I had started within 2 weeks of taking Cymbalta. Yes I have discussed all issues with my Dr. and they give me a diagnosis of something else, and have told me just keep taking the Cymbalta. Where do I start to get off of this evil med? I go to see my Dr. Monday Dec 15. 

#26 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

I am not going to lie to you. Getting off 180 mg can be very difficult but on the other hand there are some people who get off cymbalta with no withdrawal. The best technique is bead counting. If you open the cymbalta capsule it is filled with small beads. The idea behind bead counting is to reduce the amount of cymbalta in a very slow way so as to reduce the withdrawal effects.

Open a capsule and remove 3 beads amd take the capsule. The next day open the capsule and remove 6 beads, the next day 9 beads. This process continues until you are off the cymbalta. One thing to remember, if you are reducing and the withdrawal effects get to bad go back up 3 beads and stabilize. Once stablized syart dropping at 2 beads a day. With time yoou will dial in the right number of beads you can handle.If there is no withdrawal go up from 3 beads a day to 4 beads a day. Like I say it takes a while to dial things in.

#27 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

Oh, jenniesue, my heart aches for you! fishinhat and thismoment are much more knowledgeable than I, but in my opinion, you should try to see your doctor before Dec. 15. You certainly don't need dehydration exacerbating all the other problems you listed. Your doc should be able to give you something that can help. Just be sure to give your doc all the info he needs, ie. go with notes or whatever you need (everthing that's going on, the doctor needs to know)! You are in my thoughts and prayers, dear lady... you have come to a great place for info, and loving support! Please keep us posted!!! clara.... :hug:=cyberhugs to you!!!!!!!!

#28 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

Jenniesue- copy that note from fishinghat (Posted at 12:07) on how to withdraw by counting beads, and stick it on your fridge! It is the most thoughtful and concise rendering of the process I have read to date. 

I am so moved by your story! I think you need a full medical work-up, and perhaps a second opinion to determine what's happening to your mind and body. The Cymbalta brings such a broad spectrum of side effects that surely complicate your symptoms. 

Cymbalta is often prescribed for pain, but it does so much more to your brain that you weren't informed about. It's my opinion that most of us would be far better off being prescribed narcotics for pain than SSRIs or SNRIs. These SSRI and SNRI drugs are new and have little useful history (less than 30 years), and are quickly emerging as medical nightmares and pandora's boxes. 

They figure largely in suicides and recent mass shootings.

I wish you the greatest success in your recovery from your illnesses and from the assault of this medication. I was emotionally mummified on this drug for 2 years, and I managed to wean off by counting beads: you can do it too!!

This isn't your fault, and you can get well! 

Best wishes!

#29 jenniesue

jenniesue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

I just want to say Thank you to fishinghat, Clara, and thismoment. I never could have imagined being in this position. I  became so angry when I found out the truth. I went 39 hours without taking anything. I couldn't even look at the bottle. All I could do is cry. The last thing I wanted was to put one more of those pills into my body. But after doing more reading and talking to the father of my children about side effects and what others have gone through we decided cold turkey was not the safest way to go. So I took 60 mg yesterday, and 60 mg today. I have a terrible headache, major vomiting, and nausea.  I am feeling angry, and grumpy. And no sleep doesn't help any either. I am going to start the bead counting tomorrow. Thank you all so much for your kind words, support, and prayer. God Bless You All. Thank You Thank You Thank You. Happy Holidays  :hug:

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

jennniesue. thank you for the kind words. We have been where you are at and understand the anger and confusion. Glad to help. Hang in there and be patient.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users