68 replies to this topic

#31 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Jenniesue take your time on this. Get stable on the 60 mg and plan your withdrawal: put things in order in your life, your household. Don't rush- move forward with conviction and dignity. Confirm the support and non-judgement from your loved ones! 

Within the limits of safety, let your symptoms run- trying to subdue the tears, the anger, the guilt feelings and the roaring laughter (this is a bonus; enjoy it!) doesn't work, so let your mind flow.

Listen to your body and slow down, or back up and wait as necessary. Follow the plan on your fridge. Post on this forum- talk about it!!!!!

Best wishes!

#32 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

Welcome to the support forum. Glad you are here. I am in the process of weaning off Cymbalta. Was put on it for pain of lower back due to ostentatious. On 60mg daily for 18 months. The side effects got to be more than I wanted to deal with. You have come to the right place. I am weaning off Cymbalta by doing the bead counting method. The process can be lengthy and I'm working on having patience. We will make it. One day at a time. One bead at a time! Support&Prayers..TheEquusWoman

#33 jenniesue

jenniesue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta Crisis. Need Help.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

Thank you so much equuswoman  :) It is such a relief to know I am not alone. This is going to be a difficult journey but I am all in, and I have 100% support of my family. God Bless.

#34 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

Yes a journey some have made.others like myself, in the process and others just beginning. This is a wonderful support forum. All here to help each other. For that I am so grateful. Love support and prayers for us all! TheEquusWoman

#35 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:20 AM

Equuswoman you are so level and in command! You are such a positive example for others on this forum, and your insight and wisdom are incredibly  supportive and immeasurably valuable!! 

#36 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

Thismoment, thank you for your kind words. You sre such a wonderful resource here. Thanks so much for being here to help us make it thru! Hugs!

#37 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:53 AM

And I have to say the same to the 2 of you (Equuswoman and thismoment).   I can't imagine how I would have gotten through this without the solid advice both of you have offered along with so many of the friendly, helpful people in this forum.

Welcome jenniesue...I'm glad you were able to stumble upon this forum.  I think you will find the wisdom and advice offered here to be very solid.    I lose my patience from time to time with this process, but I learned the hard way that rushing it along reduced my quality of life significantly.    The last 3 days I have actually felt great for the first time in weeks - and I was feeling AWFUL a week ago from withdrawals.     Even with the tapering, I am paying very close attention to my body.   Today I started feeling a little "out of it" compared to the 2 days prior.   If I feel that way tomorrow, I am going to take the same dose until I feel good again.   I say all of that just to encourage you to be patient with yourself.     

So glad you have family support.   Between them and the folks here, I think you are in good hands!   :)  

#38 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:55 AM

Thank you Timbo, there are a number of inspirational people on this great forum. I great respect for fishinghat, for he is a compassionate, clear and educated thinker. He knows a tremendous amount on the biology and chemistry of this business that we are trying to understand.

And we all can't be here forever; there will come a time to pass torches as more and more people get off Cymbalta and wish to share their stories and perspectives to help others. Best wishes!

#39 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:03 AM

Hey I saw a documentary on how the British are dealing with entry-level depression. They have dropped the practice of prescribing SSRI or SNRI drugs early on, but rather they have spent millions of Pounds to recruit and train medical counsellors. The British have decided that talking up front is better than simply passing out pills: I like that!!  This is a positive trend I believe.  Comments?

#40 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:20 AM

Hello I am so scared and confused right now. I am in total SHOCK. I don't even know where to start. In the last week I have found out a lot of scary things about Cymbalta. I have been on 180 mg for almost 6 years. The Doctor dropped me down to 120 mg for about 6 months and has just put me back up to 180 mg. The father of my children and I have been discussing all of my health problems in the last week. We have a wonderful relationship. He asked me what meds I am on. I told him only Cymbalta the Doctor put me on it for chronic pain. He started researching it. Two weeks ago I passed out. This was not the first time. I had started taking Aleve. The first thing he came across was the combo of the two can cause heart failure. And from there Pandora's box was opened. I have had seizures, major blood issues including DVT/ Blood Clots, fainting spells, numbness in my entire body, vision problems, vomiting and nausea to the point some people in my life think I have an eating disorder, Brain pains that are out of this world, memory loss, confusion, disoriented, anger, depression, and loss of total mobility to the point of being in a wheel chair, or using a walker. I could go on and on. Over the last 6 years my life has fallen apart. I have two children at home 12 and 8. I just want my life back. Someone PLEASE HELP. 

Oh dear Lady endurance and patience -I did sweat it -curse it and every day I tapered knew the road seemed long . I had one good :) withdrawal symptom for about a week of sleeping for 12 to 16 hrs -looking back it helped verses all the other nasty vertigo -eye zaps etc.  Support and keep posting

#41 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:07 AM

I'm in total agreement on the no med approach! I wish I had seen that program!!!! Training for the professionals ,yay!! Bring it to the states!!!! It seems to me that mental/emotional issues are treated much the same as physical. Yep, it needs to be addressed, but not always in the form of a dang pill!!! As I've said here before, docs are overworked, prob' underpaid, and undereducated for what they have to do. All my best to ya'll! clara

#42 Elle52

Elle52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

Thanks thismoment, I am doing pretty good today so far, and had a good day with my family yesterday. I feel wiped out by the end of the day but I know it's he drug and it will soon be over. Thanks for all the encouragement! :)

Hi.  I was reading through these posts.  In terms of sleeping aids, I was told if you are on Cymbalta do not use melatonin as they interact.  BUT, Theanine is good and ive use CALM.  Its magnesium in powder form.  You make it like a tea before bed.  It helps me relax and helps my sleep.  When i'm really paniced and needing sleep I put my hand on my belly and focus on my breathing, making sure it is deep and not all in the chest.  Also, as meditating can be hard for us people with anxiety, I have found chanting meditations to work.  Do them anytime, while in bed or washing dishes, ect.  Positive affirmations like, "I am stong, I can get through this", just saying it over and over.   Might sound ridiculous but I have tried so much and this seemed to really help me so thought i'd share.  In terms of your husband...I have a totally supportive partener but he gets frustrtated too.  They just don't get it - and unless they are in our shoes they won't.   It's definitely hard for us, but it's hard for them too.  When our emotions go crazy and they don't know what to expect it's frustrating on both ends.  I've really tried to work on my communication with my partner and ensure he knows it's not him i'm mad at.  Again, maybe youve tried all of this...I'm just trying to help.

Praying for you.

#43 Elle52

Elle52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hi everyone, I am new here. I was prescribed Cymbalta two years ago after I had my daughter. I tapered down using the counting beads method, I got down to around 7 mgs and then stopped. I tapered for almost 11 months. At first after stopping, I was easy angered and crying a lot. I knew it had to be from stopping and my body would need to adjust. (I went through this before with Effexor) I am now approx. 8 weeks off, and most day are HORRIBLE! I cry, I can't sleep, I can't hardly function but I have to. I am a mom! Two days ago I reinstated to the 7mg dose, bad side effects but I slept, I really don't want to stay reinstated, what should I do?? Help!! Thanks in advance :)

Hi.  I was reading through these posts.  In terms of sleeping aids, I was told if you are on Cymbalta do not use melatonin as they interact.  BUT, Theanine is good and ive use CALM.  Its magnesium in powder form.  You make it like a tea before bed.  It helps me relax and helps my sleep.  When i'm really paniced and needing sleep I put my hand on my belly and focus on my breathing, making sure it is deep and not all in the chest.  Also, as meditating can be hard for us people with anxiety, I have found chanting meditations to work.  Do them anytime, while in bed or washing dishes, ect.  Positive affirmations like, "I am stong, I can get through this", just saying it over and over.   Might sound ridiculous but I have tried so much and this seemed to really help me so thought i'd share.  In terms of your husband...I have a totally supportive partener but he gets frustrtated too.  They just don't get it - and unless they are in our shoes they won't.   It's definitely hard for us, but it's hard for them too.  When our emotions go crazy and they don't know what to expect it's frustrating on both ends.  I've really tried to work on my communication with my partner and ensure he knows it's not him i'm mad at.  Again, maybe youve tried all of this...I'm just trying to help.

Praying for you.

#44 jenniesue

jenniesue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Not a good day. Today is day 3 on 60 mg down from 120 mg. I feel totally exhausted. No sleep in the last 3 nights. Major Brain Zaps, nausea and vomiting. I can't stand the smell, or thought of food. Even food commercial make me vomit. I can't see straight because I am so tired. I am praying for some sleep tonight. I have been having so many side effects being on 120 mg how I am feeling now isn't much different. It is worse than normal. But I have gotten use to all the side effects so that has been my normal for a long time. I am looking forward to a new normal after getting off this evil drug. 

#45 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

Jenniesue hang in there! The Cymbalta brain zaps are the worst! And the nausea! You withdrew too fast- can you back up and do a slower taper?

#46 jenniesue

jenniesue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Thanks thismoment I think I may have too. This is bad. My head and eyes are so bad right now. I am also getting really bad muscle cramps in my arms, legs, and feet.

I just want that evil med out of my body. I think I am going to take a long hot bath with some essential oils. I know this is only the beginning. Like the saying goes it always gets worse before it gets better. I keep reminding myself that I have a very long road in front of me. It's just a matter of time and a whole lot of patients. 

#47 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:
    Needing support coming off this horrible med!

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Praying for you.

Thank you so much!! I am really going to try the breathing technique, I know it is hard for my hubby too... I have been through hell and back with him and now if I have to go through hell on my own, I will make it... I am just emotionally all over the board, I know he has to be sick of it. Today he told me I looked drunk, which hurt my feelings, I am so tired and the symptoms are awful. He said he wasn't trying to be ride but my eyes are just a blank stare and very unlike the bright eyed woman I have always been..  Thank you again, I wish you the best ((HUGS))

#48 Ape

Ape

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

This moment did you get off the medication completely? How did you do I am on 60 mg and I am taking 35 bids out increasing five each month? Do you think is better taking out 1 bid every three day? Please let me know how did you do?

#49 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

Jimmiesue imo you're wesning down to fast. Ma ybe need to stabilize then slowly begin the count down again. That's what I have had to do. Ley us knoe how you're.doing. The ppl here are so supportive. Prayers for you. TheEquusWoman

#50 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

Hi Ape, nice to hear from you. 

I think your bead counting should be on a constant, descending slope and not have steps in it. Like this:  3 beads out today; 6 beads out tomorrow; 9 beads out the day after tomorrow, and so on.

I have been off Cymbalta since August 2012. I was on it 2 years. I tapered from 30 mg (300 beads) to 0 in about 42 days.  But that was TOO FAST because the withdrawal symptoms were very difficult.

When the withdrawal symptoms become difficult, level off at your current bead count (or back up some), and continue to count beads when you are feeling stable.

If I were to do it again, I would do it over 100 days, removing 3 extra beads each day. That also works out to 1% on day one, 2% on day two, 3% on day three . . . 100% in 100 days!

Good luck Ape!! You can do this my friend!

#51 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

Jenniesue

I think Equuswoman is correct- if the withdrawal symptoms are too difficult, you're probably removing too much of the drug too fast. Slow down and level off- even back up a few days and up the dosage for a while. Trust your body!

Why beat yourself up? Also you will have a better chance of not relapsing if you keep your withdrawal symptoms from overwhelming you.

Be well JS!

#52 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Relapse. Yes I confess I did relapse. Had to cuz the way my physician saif to d/c Cymbalta didn't work. But then I discovered this forum and the bead counting way to be Cymbalta free. The rest they is *history*...♥

#53 Akk

Akk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

Jenniesue,
slow and steady wins the race. Listen to your body, and have patience. Be gentle with yourself. I have been using the bead counting since September, starting at 60 mg or 204 beads. I am down to 24 beads and had something wonderful happen today. I felt true emotion. I was reading an article about Newtown, and how one man took in 6 little children who had run away from the school and cared for them, waiting for the parents to come. I started crying, tears running down my face. When the original tragedy happened, I did not cry at all; today I realized how unemotional I have been since taking this drug. I welcomed the tears.

You have family. You will get through this with patience, prayer and knowing there is light at the end do the tunnel. Be good to yourself!

#54 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

Akk, how wonderful!! I had a moment exactly as yours when my emotions first returned during my bead-counting. It was after 2 years in Cymbalta Zombieland. What an experience! It was something I will always remember- the return of empathy, compassion and the ability to give and to feel.

It's pretty scary how Cymbalta erases empathy and compassion: it could be argued that Eli Lilly manufactures sociopaths.

I am so happy for you- I totally get it!

#55 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

Checking in- How is everyone doing?

I am now down to 48 beads and removing an addition 1-2 depending on symptoms. I slept great last night! My hubby went with me to see my therapist last night she helped him understand so much, he even said he wanted to go back and have another session with her. Over all a good day yesterday and so far a pretty good morning. Blessings to all

#56 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

LM3G- how wonderful is that? 

That's the way to do it! This is a project we nibble away at, perhaps the way Michelangelo did the Pieta, or David. I am happy for you.

#57 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

Lovemy3girls, that is GREAT!!!!!! So happy that hubby went with you and wants to go back!! Wow!!! Stay strong and hold tight to that precious fam! God bless!!!!   clara :hug:

#58 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Oh I am so happy for you lm3g. That is great. I know 1 or two beads seems like it will take for ever but it will get you there girl!!! I am also so happy to see your husbands involvement, that has to mean a lot.

#59 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

Oh I am so happy for you lm3g. That is great. I know 1 or two beads seems like it will take for ever but it will get you there girl!!! I am also so happy to see your husbands involvement, that has to mean a lot.

Lovemy3girls, that is GREAT!!!!!! So happy that hubby went with you and wants to go back!! Wow!!! Stay strong and hold tight to that precious fam! God bless!!!!   clara :hug:

LM3G- how wonderful is that? 

That's the way to do it! This is a project we nibble away at, perhaps the way Michelangelo did the Pieta, or David. I am happy for you.

Clara- I am holding them tight :) I hope you are doing well, message me whenever you need to talk. I am so thankful that I have my husband's support now, I feel like I can handle the withdrawal symptoms better now. I don't feel like such a burden.

Thismoment- Yes just like that! Today I am finding I need to hold where I am for a few days possibly.. Yucky symptoms last night and this am.

Fishinghat- His involvement means the world to me, and the support I find here. I know I can beat this, one stupid bead at a time!

Thank all of you for your support, I wish you all the best, I will check back in soon :hug:

#60 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

One of my symptoms when I'm sleeping, feels like I am awake and aware. For example, I tossed back and forth all night and knew I was doing it. I could just tell, then my hubby said this am that I have done that the past two nights for hours straight so he got up and went to the couch. My back is killing me. I have heard that this is called "thrashing" weird symptom anyhow. Has anyone ever experienced this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users