• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Papin

Papin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

I've found that starting the weaning process has been invigorating simply because I feel I'm taking more control of my own health. What's also helped is the wealth of literature on meds and brain health.

I just attended a week-long conference on psychotherapy and got to see Dan Siegel speak about the latest research on the brain. I also heard Bill O'Hanlon speak. He is a therapist with his own history of suicidal depression who gave a talk on strategies to prevent depression without the use of meds. I HIGHLY recommend reading anything by these two. Another guy who has a lot of interesting stuff to say is Michael Yapko. He is another guy who specializes in working with depressed patients and who is not big on meds.

The takeaways from this conference are that the single most important thing you can do for brain health is to EXERCISE.

O'Hanlon recommends the following books on the topic:

1. The Brain That Changes Itself, by Norman Doidge

2. Younger Next Year, by Chris Crowley and Henry Lodge

He admits to hating anything related to physical activity. However, these two books helped him get to a point where he now runs six times a week, 50 minutes at a time (this is supposed to be the most active one should be in order to keep depression at bay; once you start exercising obsessively, you actually make yourself more prone to depression).

Along with exercise, it's crucial to cultivate relationships with others. It makes sense when you think that isolation and physical inactivity are two major symptoms of depression. They're also the two hardest things to break when feeling depressed. However, they're essential in helping the brain grow (yes, the brain continues to grow even in old age) and in keeping one's mood within a healthy range of lability. 

So, fellow Crapalta weaners, let's all encourage and support each other in doing our best to be physically active (baby steps! anything as small as walking around your house or apartment). This is so important in helping us get through this and push ourselves toward optimal health. It goes a long way toward helping with withdrawal symptoms. More importantly, consider any sort of exercise regimen as your path to not just physical health but emotional health as well.

I salute you all for everything you're doing to help yourself and others!

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

Papin

Excellent! This is very good. Thank you.

#3 Lad

Lad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the excellent post Papin! (Except for the crapalta weaner crack......... that made for some weird dancing sausage visuals...... lol)

Lad

#4 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

Exercise is a wonderful thing. I clean (muck) our horses stalls. This keeps my bones strong, my weight down and helps not only the physical but mental as well! Thank you for your informative post. TheEquusWoman.

#5 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

I've found that starting the weaning process has been invigorating simply because I feel I'm taking more control of my own health. What's also helped is the wealth of literature on meds and brain health.

I just attended a week-long conference on psychotherapy and got to see Dan Siegel speak about the latest research on the brain. I also heard Bill O'Hanlon speak. He is a therapist with his own history of suicidal depression who gave a talk on strategies to prevent depression without the use of meds. I HIGHLY recommend reading anything by these two. Another guy who has a lot of interesting stuff to say is Michael Yapko. He is another guy who specializes in working with depressed patients and who is not big on meds.

The takeaways from this conference are that the single most important thing you can do for brain health is to EXERCISE.

O'Hanlon recommends the following books on the topic:

1. The Brain That Changes Itself, by Norman Doidge

2. Younger Next Year, by Chris Crowley and Henry Lodge

He admits to hating anything related to physical activity. However, these two books helped him get to a point where he now runs six times a week, 50 minutes at a time (this is supposed to be the most active one should be in order to keep depression at bay; once you start exercising obsessively, you actually make yourself more prone to depression).

Along with exercise, it's crucial to cultivate relationships with others. It makes sense when you think that isolation and physical inactivity are two major symptoms of depression. They're also the two hardest things to break when feeling depressed. However, they're essential in helping the brain grow (yes, the brain continues to grow even in old age) and in keeping one's mood within a healthy range of lability. 

So, fellow Crapalta weaners, let's all encourage and support each other in doing our best to be physically active (baby steps! anything as small as walking around your house or apartment). This is so important in helping us get through this and push ourselves toward optimal health. It goes a long way toward helping with withdrawal symptoms. More importantly, consider any sort of exercise regimen as your path to not just physical health but emotional health as well.

I salute you all for everything you're doing to help yourself and others!

Great message, Papin.  I am going to order those books as well as the recommendations by Thismoment.   I have been pretty amazed at how well I am doing since switching to the process of reducing beads.   I also have finally had the energy to get back to the gym this past week.  I definitely feel much better on the days when I am exercises.   I think you are exactly right.  Thanks for the post! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users