#1 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To get help and support and to be a help and support.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:37 AM

I am on day 8 of no Cymbalta. My brain feels to big for my head, I'm dizzy, sick, my muscles painfully spasm, headache, feel like I have a bad flu, I'm angry, weepy, happy, sad, strong, weak, up, down, sideways and back to front! How long does this last? Please someone tell me it will be over soon.

#2 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

Oh dear, flik76, it's different for us all, but I would expect a minimum of 2 weeks, very minimum. My heart sure goes out to you! Take it easy if you can! You can do it! Keep us posted and let it out on the forum! It helps! God bless you! clara

#3 Ctina

Ctina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Hi Flik76, I am new to the sight and am on day 13. This is absolutely a roller coaster ride and at this point I believe this is the " norm " to our withdraw. Not taking this lightly, I hope peace of mind comes soon. This sight is such a great support system. Best wishes on your journey.

#4 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hi flik76 and Ctina!  This forum is such a find - what a great help...I found it last week and I am now about 7 weeks into the cold turkey withdrawal and my life has been a nitemare.  Starting about week 2 I had the headache from hell and  was weepy all the time.  This lasted about 2 weeks.  Believe me, it does get better and the people on here are so helpful.  I felt better with the first response I got. :)

I offer my support and please keep us posted on how you are coming along.  The length of time needed and the symptoms are different for everyone, but I was told to expect 8-12 weeks for full recovery.  You also might like to check w/those that are using the bead system.  Cold turkey is no fun, I know.

God Bless :hug:

Liz

#5 Leprechaun

Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida ; formerly Connecticut
  • why_joining:
    To learn from others that have been where I am now. Maybe someday I will be able to help someone else.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hi flik76 and Ctina I'm there with you on day 15 myself. Rollercoaster is a good description. The folks on this forum are awesome and we can get through this together. Thoughts and prayers for both of you.

#6 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

:DThank you so much everybody.  This site is going to be my saviour, so grateful to have found it and so grateful it exists.

After such a negative intro yesterday, today I would like to point out I have noticed a couple of positives since quitting the dreaded Crapbalta.

1. Feelings - :lol: Good, bad or ugly, I have feelings again! I have been a hollow person for 5 years.

2. Bowl Movements - :unsure: TMI I know, but omg I had forgotten how good it feels to be regular and also to not have to strain or take a book to the bathroom with me!!

My Journey began 10 years ago when I lost my husband, I was left with 3 year old twins, alone, scared and sadder than I knew was humanly possible.

For 5 years I did my best to cope, I was however, a mess, it all looked good from the outside, job, clean house, happy kids etc, but on the inside I was completely broken.

My problem was anxiety, terrible, terrible anxiety, sparked by the sudden loss of my husband. I had become painfully thin (not a problem now thanks to the huge arse Cymbalta has created :o), I had become obsessed with cleaning and I had become obsessed with perfection.

So I went to my G.P. talked to him for a long time, he gave me a script for Cymbalta and a referral to a psychologist.  The psychologist was a godsend, I highly recommend visiting one, even if you feel ok ;).  The drugs, well as you all know, the drugs are a nightmare :angry:. And the last 5 years, well they have bought me here.

So here I am, 37, withdrawing from prescription drugs and after re reading what I wrote realising I love to use emoticons!!

We will do this, hang in there xo.

#7 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:34 AM

Welcome to the Cymbalta forum. Glad that you are here with us. One day at a time. It's difficult but you can do this.

#8 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

flik76, you are truly an inspiration! God bless!!!  Hugs and prayers from snowy South Carolina!! :)  clara

#9 zebra

zebra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • why_joining:
    Need information & support on med withdrawal

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

I have been taking Cymbalta for a few months.  Although I think it helps with my fibromyalgia I need to get off of it.  I just found out Friday that I shouldn't take it because I also take Zoloft, Ultracet, Effient, Dexilant, Methotrexate, Myrbetriq and a host of other assorted drugs for Rheumatoid Arthritis, Neuropathy, Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, and high stroke risk.  I have received a black box (red) warning that these are genetically incompatible with my body & each other.  Stupidly, I know, I decided Saturday to cold turkey the Cymbalta, Zoloft, Dexilant, Myrbetriq & Ultracet.  Right now I am sitting here with a splitting headache and nausea.  I just took some of my usual drugs that are okay & took a smaller dosage of Zoloft and a Cymbalta, along with 2 Motrin.  I feel like I'm going to throw up & I'm sweating.  I have one doctor appointment tomorrow and 2 more on Thursday.  I've never had a problem with going without my meds for up to a month before.  This is the first time I've gotten any withdrawal symtoms.  Any advice?

#10 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:07 AM

Wow, I know very little about medication, it is best to discuss what meds to quit and when and how to do it with your Dr. However, I am finding the use of supplements a HUGE help, relieving some symptoms and curbing others, plus drink lots and lots of water, I'm finding ice cold water divine right now. Google theroadback.com I'm finding it a godsend.You arn't alone, we are all struggling with these symptoms, you can and will make it, there are so many positives to getting this crap out of your system, you will start noticing, feelings, tastes, sounds & smells you had forgotten. Let your recovery be wonderful as well as tough. Great things are worth their struggle xo

#11 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:19 AM

Oops, I mean google surviving antidepressants the road back is the books name. Sorry about that.

#12 Beverley56

Beverley56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

Yes try the supplements. I never even took a vitamin before but on my 3rd day? I went and got the B6 complex, and fish oil. My moods seem fine, one or two outbursts but then I apologize to my husband and we move forward. Almost 2 weeks off , cold turkey. I think a regular bowl movement is a big plus to the lag you feel. Keep on, think positive you have come far already and exercise. If you can even something!! Turn the music up and dance!! I can't dance worth a damn but when I am alone now that's what I have been doing

#13 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

Lol! That's awesome. I will do that. Thank you. So, how do you feel after 2 weeks?

#14 kconnor

kconnor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

I am also new. Going down from 60 to 30 mg. On day 9 and constantly nauseated, cant sleep, and crazy headaches. Been on it for 8 years. Cant believe this withdrawl. Good luck to all.

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

Welcome kconner!

Did you drop straight from 60 to 30, or are you using the bead counting method? I quit cold turkey because I lost my insurance but if I had it to do again, I'd do the slow and steady approach of removing beads a few at a time. In fact one of us here, EquusWoman, is removing just 1 bead a day in order to stay stable...she'll be off the poison next month, which means she's been at this for quite some time!

Zebra, yikes...you may want to consider easing up on yourself by quitting so many meds all at once....there's a limit to how much withdrawal our systems can handle at one time.... Can you pick just one to get off for now? Also, have you talkd to your doc about doing this? (assuming he or she is actually someone you can talk to about getting of the meds...not all are)

You'll get lots of help and support here....I couldn't have done it (in my 11 th week off cymbalta) if I hadn't found this place....

Keep us posted on how your feeling!

#16 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:25 AM

I dropped from 60 to 30, which didn't cause me too much discomfort. Then I went to 30 every 2nd day, that also went well for me. The trouble started when I went of completely. I was removing a bead per does, but after a certain period of time I was only entitled to the generic brand and inside those is crushed little 'rocks' of all different shapes and sizes!! So I bit the bullet, put the pills down the sink and my script in the bin. Here I am at day 16 now.

#17 Brodie

Brodie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

How are you feeling at day 16 Flik76? I just read your story, and cried :( you really are an Inspiration. I can't imagine how you coped with the loss of your husband. Love to you, you are a strong woman! Even if you needed crapbalta to get you through.

#18 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

Ah, the generic....when I lost my insurance I tried the generic...one pill, and within hours I was having a hellish reaction...so I likewise through out the bottle and the script, and then went off CT.... You're into the " thick" of cymbalta withdrawal now....it'll start to ease up pretty soon...just go as easy on yourself as you can....and my suggestion is that, since cymbalta is clearly the med that you need to get off of first, consider remaining stable on the others for now... If you try to do more than one med, you won't know which med is causing you which symptoms, and you really would risk doing some permanent damage to your nervous system....

You can do this! We're pulling for you all the way!

#19 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:53 AM

Thanks gang, you guys made all the difference for this time. I don't take any other medication. I stopped my pill about a month before stopping Crapbalta and I quit smoking in September 2013, so for the first time in 20 years my body is completely drug free aside from the paracetamol I have been taking during my recovery from this poo! Day 16 for me has been pretty bloody good, only slightly nauseous this morning and less brain zaps and farts than usual and my headache is nowhere near as bad.Day 12 through to 15 were absolutely horrendous for me, I wanted to die! So hopefully today is a sign that I have turned a corner, who knows.

#20 Brodie

Brodie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:01 AM

Fingers crossed that you have turned a corner! I'm on day two with no Cymbalta and I'm so ill, so tmoro I will try the bead method. I only just discovered this bead counting so its worth a go. I did want to just keep on not taking it but there's no way I can go to work tmoro or the rest of the week still feeling like this! I wish they told you how hard these drugs are to get off when they put you on them!

Hang in there!!

#21 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

Brodie I think that is what makes most of us so angry, the fact that Eli Lily never disclosed this information. I spent my first week of withdrawal so angry about it!

#22 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

Brodie,  the slower bead counting method should help with the w/ds! Keep us posted! We're here for you! Prayers and hugs for better days ahead!! clara :)

#23 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Flik76, "the farts" ..... Oh my, I'm jealous..... That's one S/E I haven't had....yet.... Just wait, now that I've said that, farts will arrive to plague me.... I think it says a lot about us as a group that we're able to discuss things like farts, puking and incontinence with each other .... Hehehe ....thank God I found this place!

#24 zebra

zebra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

I dropped off copies of my dna report to my rheumatologist & psychologist last week.  I asked the receptionist to make sure my shrink saw it immediately & let me know if he wants me in the office sooner than the end of March but I haven't heard anything back from him yet.  He gives me the Zoloft & Cymbalta.  I go to get my Orencia on Tuesday & I'll ask my RA doc what she thinks.  She gives me Methotrexate, Folgard, Orencia, Ultram or Ultracet, calcium, Vitamin D3 & Volteran Gel; my diabetes doc (my RA's spouse) gives me Lyrica, Glumetza, CoQ-10; my cardio gives me Effient, Atenolol, Valsartan-HCTZ; urologist give me Myrbetriq and GI gives me Dexilant.  I've previously had to go off Livalo, Crestor & Vesicare because of complications and have allergies/adverse reactions to several drugs.

I tried to cold turkey some of them but by the last time I posted I was starting to feel the effects of it and since I had already shown some signs of beginning Serotine syndrom I started back on the drugs.  The symptoms were gone the next day.  My problem is that I take so many drugs for major illnesses that I don't know where to start.  I know I want to get off the Cymbalta ASAP but I don't think taking months to do it right for me given the circumstances of it gravely interfering with my other meds.  I'll call my shrink back on Monday to try to get in to see him sooner.  Has anybody been hospitalized to go cold turkey?  I've been on Cymbalta for probably 4 months.  I'll have to check my records.

#25 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hi Zebra and welcome to the forum! Wow, you are on a lot of meds. How do you ever keep up with all of it? I am not sure if I've seen on the forum anyone being hospitalized for Cymbalta wds. The posts go back for a few years, so I haven't read ALL of them. Just my opinion here,(I am no doctor), but, all the doctors you see do need to know what meds you are taking. It scares me to think one doc could give you something that could cause you to have a bad reaction to one another doctor has prescribed. Am I making sense? It sure sounds like you have a good handle on it all, but after my own experience with Cymbalta, I get really concerned for others on it plus other meds. Keep us updated! We're here with all we have in loving support. Fishinghat will prob' jump in here to help you out. He's wise and knowledgeable and so helpful as well as others on this forum. We love and support each other, and it is very comforting to know they are here to listen to whatever it is on our minds.  You will be in my prayers!  Hugs!!! clara :)

#26 zebra

zebra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

Thanks guys for your help.  I'll try the supplements when I start going off it.  Hopefully I can stave off the worst of the symptoms.  I'll have a hard time talking to my shrink.  He barely gives me 5 minutes in his office.  Just asks the usual questions - how have you been, eating & sleeping good, see you in 3 months; here's your prescriptions.  I've tried talking to him in depth but he just cuts me off or dismisses my feelings.  I wish I could change doctors but I've been seeing this one for about 7 years & been on Zoloft all that time.  Have quit Zoloft cold turkey for a month or so several times without any side effects so this is very new to me.

#27 zebra

zebra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Clara, it really is hard to keep up with all of them.  I have them lined up in a box so I know which ones are for morning, which for pm and which for other schedules.  All of my doctors are fully aware of my medications.  My neurologist suggested the Cymbalta for fibromyalgia & she gives me the Lyrica for neuropathy.  I call myself zebra because we've learned over the years not to look just for horses with all my conditions.  I have about 14-15 different conditions that I get regularly monitored on and blood is check at least every 8 weeks.  I don't think the doctors really stop to consider that one med they consider key to my condition can cause a very serious complication with one from another doctor.  Many times one of them will not recognize the name of a drug I'm on & ask me what it's for.  They only keep up with their own specialty.

I'm looking forward to talking to fishinghat and all of you.  Thanks for your support & prayers.

#28 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

Lol fivenotions, I know!! But I'm serious, it's been terrible!

#29 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

I have been taking Cymbalta for a few months.  Although I think it helps with my fibromyalgia I need to get off of it.  I just found out Friday that I shouldn't take it because I also take Zoloft, Ultracet, Effient, Dexilant, Methotrexate, Myrbetriq and a host of other assorted drugs for Rheumatoid Arthritis, Neuropathy, Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, and high stroke risk.  I have received a black box (red) warning that these are genetically incompatible with my body & each other.  Stupidly, I know, I decided Saturday to cold turkey the Cymbalta, Zoloft, Dexilant, Myrbetriq & Ultracet.  Right now I am sitting here with a splitting headache and nausea.  I just took some of my usual drugs that are okay & took a smaller dosage of Zoloft and a Cymbalta, along with 2 Motrin.  I feel like I'm going to throw up & I'm sweating.  I have one doctor appointment tomorrow and 2 more on Thursday.  I've never had a problem with going without my meds for up to a month before.  This is the first time I've gotten any withdrawal symtoms.  Any advice?

Way to many things to quite at once zebra. And you are right the Cymbalta is very incompatible with the Zoloft as well as some of the others. I am surprised that they had you on both of these at the same time considering they both do the same thing. My suggestion would be to discontinue the ones that don't have withdrawal effects than deal with the others one at a time. Your medicine profile is so complex you really need to work out the schedule with your physician. By the way, both your physician and your pharmacist should have caught the incompatability. When I saw them next I would give them a wake up they would not forget. The Cymbalta/Zoloft combination alone can cause what is called serotonin syndrome and that can even be fatal!! Just my opinion but you need to wake them up. Way too many mistakes.

#30 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

Zebra,

Do you know, and can you write down, the medications that were given to you...in chronological order, with a note of what they were intended to treat?

Is so, the next question would be, can you research what the side effects (both the ones reported on the rx packaging AND the uncommon ones not public ally reported) and list the s/es next to each med?

Do any of the side effects match the subsequent conditions for which you been given more meds? ... look at this annotated list, along with what you yourself recall of your experiences with the drugs..... Have your doctors been adding on new meds over time to deal with side effects caused by drug as you were already taking?

The reason I ask is that shortly after I began taking cymbalta, I was diagnosed with hypertension and tachycardia and acid reflux.... And the docs just added on three new meds to the cymbalta.... Each of which had their own range of side effects.....

Once I got off the cymbalta...just in the first three weeks, those last three conditions, along with their side effects, disappeared....and I no longer needed those three "added on" meds....

My docs had insisted that cymbalta cldnt be causing the htp, tachycardia or reflux ....almost laughed at me.... There was a strange silence when I had my first appointments with them after getting off cymbalta...I took the other three pill bottles, full of unused pills, back to my GP...put them on his desk and said.... "You were wrong. I haven't needed these since I quit cymbalta ....I haven't used these, feel free to give them to someone else you've misdiagnosed.... "

If you can't or don't want to do this analysis yourself (with all you're taking it'd be a challenge!).... Find a good pharmacist who's willing to talk to you and ask if he/she would help you do the assessment.....

If no pharmacist, come back here and we can try to help you sort it out....Fishinghat is brilliant with this kind of stuff, and I'm a research librarian and wld also be able to help....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users