#31 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

"If you can't or don't want to do this analysis yourself (with all you're taking it'd be a challenge!).... Find a good pharmacist who's willing to talk to you and ask if he/she would help you do the assessment....."

Great idea FiveNotions.

#32 zebra

zebra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • why_joining:
    Need information & support on med withdrawal

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

I spoke with my neurologist yesterday & she agreed about withdrawing from Cymbalta.  My refill last week was for the generic.  I also started taking the 60 every other night.  So far so good.  She suggested I try 30/60 alternating to see how that works.  I'll start that tonight & let you know how I'm doing.  Also, on the nights I take Cymbalta I reduce my Zoloft dosage.  No side effects yet. :)  I also plan on adding the suggested supplements.  Thanks guys! :lol:

#33 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

Glad to hear it is going well. It takes 5 or 6 weeks for Zoloft to hit full effect but it should make things a lot easier. Hang in there and keep us posted.

#34 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

I spoke with my neurologist yesterday & she agreed about withdrawing from Cymbalta.  My refill last week was for the generic.  I also started taking the 60 every other night.  So far so good.  She suggested I try 30/60 alternating to see how that works.  I'll start that tonight & let you know how I'm doing.  Also, on the nights I take Cymbalta I reduce my Zoloft dosage.  No side effects yet. :)  I also plan on adding the suggested supplements.  Thanks guys! :lol:

zebra...Good luck and keep us posted..

#35 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

Yay, zebra! Keep us UTD!!! Praying for you !!!! clara :)

#36 OMG37

OMG37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

Im on day #11!!  Wondering how long this journey will take after reading the other posts.  Looking for someone who's been off at least one month to feel us all in on what happened to them and what we might can expect.  For me right now, my most difficult symptom are the headaches.  I've taken tylenol to help ease it.  I'm wondering…what's really going on inside my body (hope no permanent/serious) damage!  I'm moving a lot slower and As a working mom and wife…..slow is NOT on our "to do list!"  I've had to slow down and pace myself.  When my body says NO (fives times in a row) I know she is serious!  I've  been working none stop and this vacation time came perfectly (thank you Jesus)!  I plan to rest, rest, rest again, drink lots of water, G2, vitamins, eating heathy, and living healthy!!!!  Still a tough road, but its better than the alternative. 

#37 zebra

zebra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

I'm Cymbalta-free since weaning off the drug over about <6 weeks time.  My neurologist gave me 30's & I alternated them, extending the days on 30 & then alternating on/off with Zoloft.  Surprisingly easy since I tried cold turkey & that didn't work.  Thanks for all the help and support ya'll have given me in getting off one of the worst drugs I've ever been on.

#38 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Zebra

Good work! Can you please keep us posted over the next six weeks or so to see how things go. Thank you, and best wishes.

#39 zebra

zebra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Will do.  I can see some of the good results already.  Where I had almost completely lost control of my bladder in spite of medication and an interstim neuro device, I now have gotten much, much better control.  The Cymbalta was acting directly against what the meds & neuro were trying to correct.  I'm sure I'll feel more results as this stuff completely leaves my system.  I haven't taken any in about 10 days but I don't know how long it lingers in the system.

#40 freddiekatt

freddiekatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

Hi,

I've been on cymbalta for a month.  I've started tapering off because I found out cymblata is a SNRI.  I was on ciprolex the past year and a half and had little to no side effects and had no trouble coming off of it.

I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and it was an effort to treat the pain issue;  I want to know why doctors and insurance companies only seem to care about putting you on drugs;  it truly is not the be all end all answer!!!

My main concern was I was on effexor for a couple years (also a SNRI) and it was the most hellish withdrawal ever lasting 4-6 months and I felt like a drug addict.  I noticed after changing my med time from nite to morning I started experiencing this all over again with cymbalta and I swore I'd never put myself on a drug like effexor ever again.

For whatever reason, my withdrawal to this catagory of antidepressants is terrible.  I never felt any better (or much) on antidepressants for depression and anxiety anyway.  I have been to many treatment programs and find that the psycho-social skills I've learned and tools play much bigger of a role in maintaining my mental health;  additionally I doubt these drugs will treat the pain enough to be worth the side effects I experience.

Last thing;  lots of advice on "listen to your doctor".  Half the time they are really not helpful nor really care or even believe the side effects I experience.  I had to "mention" to my doctor to wean off the ciprolex.  Most often I've been told by varying doctors there is no withdrawal.  So as much as I'd say be safe.....it isn't rocket science.  I mean wean down slowly.  I work in the medical field.  I think we all need to trust our instincts and also value OUR knowledge of OUR body.

To be frank, my past 2 doctors are fairly useless and only do what I ask and provide minimal support.  I would trust a pharmacist more when it comes to drug withdrawal and asked them for a schedule to withdrawl from effexor.  Guess what they said....decrease dose for 2 weeks,, then every other day....then every 3rd day.  I mean how do you need a doctor to get that info?  And I will ultimately resort to "bead counting" as I did with effexor....gotta do what you gotta do....and doctors always say not to do that.  But they don't live in my body!  Thanks for letting me vent.  I knew I didn't want to go on cymbalta and was really sure when I found out it was an SNRI.  And here I am....one month of drugs and withdrawal that is pretty dang bad!  From 30 mg for one month.  Scares me.  Thanks for your stories and support!

#41 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:12 AM

Freddiekatt

I will go down your list of queries and add a few notes.

--I want to know why doctors and insurance companies only seem to care about putting you on drugs.

I think many doctors are in the business of making symptoms go away. When symptoms go away, patients are quiet, so a cure appears to have occurred; but patients can also be quiet because they don't care anymore or perhaps they can't formulate a sentence because of the drug.

Of course the primary objective of insurance and drug companies is to turn a profit.

--I . . . find that the psycho-social skills I've learned and tools play much bigger of a role in maintaining my mental health.

Yes I agree- it's everything!  Those of us that have gone through therapy have learned that the reason we're in therapy is because (among other things), we lacked those skills that would otherwise have enabled us to live normal lives. Had we learned healthy psycho-social skills, perhaps we wouldn't be talking to the therapist or taking mind-altering antidepressants.

--Last thing;  lots of advice on "listen to your doctor".  Half the time they are really not helpful nor really care or even believe the side effects I experience.

I totally agree. I would say keep your doctor in the loop and listen to what he/she has to say, but disregard the parts that are BS. And yes many physicians (based on my experience, and what I've read here and elsewhere) don't believe the side effects we report, and they don't seem to research this stuff much. Their how-to-withdraw advice is often exactly opposite to what the manufacturer recommends (an example of BS). Therefore the advice they give isn't always helpful.

--Guess what they said....decrease dose for 2 weeks,, then every other day....then every 3rd day.

Yup. With regard to Cymbalta that has a short half-life (12hrs), this step-down-skip-a-day approach is asking for trouble. Eli Lilly, the manufacturer advises in their literature not to reduce by steps, but rather to employ a slow linear taper. And Eli Lilly also says to monitor your body's reaction, and level off as necessary for a few days before continuing. 

I just wanted to give you support and add a couple of comments. Regarding the fact that you've been on a month, my understanding is that it takes 6 weeks to fully upload the drug. This relates to whether you could have difficulty withdrawing. After a month, I would taper off rather than quit cold turkey, but probably anticipate some unpleasant days or weeks withdrawing.

You can do this. Best wishes.

#42 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:32 AM

Do you have a reference for the slow linear taper as opposed to steps? I know this is the case but haven't see Lily write this.

#43 needsomehelp

needsomehelp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

Grateful to find this site.  Fours weeks off Cymbalta (60 mg.) and 4 weeks on 10 mg. of Ciprolex.  I was on Cymbalta for 6 months and it did help with depression but the side effects were difficult (tremors and feeling shaky inside).  At first Cymbalta worked great but my psychiatrist increased my dose to 120 mg. and I started to get suicidal thoughts so I backed off to 60 mg. and felt better. I did not expect to have withdrawal because I started new meds 3 days after going off Cymbalta.  The anxiety was awful and thank goodness a friend who is knowledgable on the subject told me the anxiety was from withdrawal.  My doc told me I would not feel any worse and should start to feel better in a week.  HA HA.  I went through this a year and a half ago when I detoxed off Paxil  - after 20 years it stopped working.  This isn't as bad (Paxil withdrawal was pure hell) but it is still very difficult to cope with everyday life.  I am 62 years old and have sole and permanent custody of my 4 year old (very active) granddaughter who I have been raising, on my own, since birth.   Somehow I have managed to stay kind and loving to her through this.  I hired a housekeeper and I am so glad I did.  I also put my granddaughter  in daycare.  The anxiety is staring to lessen.  I take 100 mg. of gabapentin (lowest on the scale of anxiety relievers) up to 3 times a day to help with the anxiety.  It helps to know there are others who understand.  Friends and family do not understand the pain of withdrawal or depression.  I often phone the Crisis centre and they are very helpful.  I am still depressed and am hoping the new meds will kick in soon or a higher dose might help.  I wish I didn't have to take the meds but I think after being on them so long I am a lifer.  I did try for 6 months without meds and it was just too dark. 

#44 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

Do you have a reference for the slow linear taper as opposed to steps? I know this is the case but haven't see Lily write this.

"When discontinuing treatment with duloxetine, the manufacturer recommends a gradual reduction in the dose, rather than abrupt cessation, whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate. The use of a liquid form of the drug may facilitate more gradual tapering."

Duloxetine Patient Information Sheet. Indianapolis, IN; Eli Lilly Pharmaceutical; July 2006

#45 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

Hi needsomehelp

Welcome aboard. I understand the difficulty of trying to find equilibrium for yourself and also care for your little girl. 

Here's what you wrote:

"I am still depressed and am hoping the new meds will kick in soon or a higher dose might help.  I wish I didn't have to take the meds but I think after being on them so long I am a lifer.  I did try for 6 months without meds and it was just too dark."

You are not alone!!

Your description clearly details the circular nature of this confounding struggle:  While the original condition may be reduced some, the drug introduces other symptoms that become intolerable, and we switch drugs in search of equilibrium and peace. After a while effectiveness alters and unpleasant symptoms appear, and the dosage is increased. Often a wall of intolerance is reached and we need to come off the drug. But that often proves to be extremely difficult or impossible to do as we are immersed into the horror-show that withdrawal often proves to be.  So we seek a different drug to deal with the withdrawal symptoms that are often mistaken for something completely new. We are prescribed a different antidepressant to deal with the merry-go-round of symptoms that keep coming around-- from the first drug, from ongoing withdrawal, and from the new drug. There appears to be no way out! This is the Antidepressant Disease.

So what can we do, and specifically what can needsomehelp do? Keep the anxiety down-- it's the destabilizer that can frighten us into making unhelpful decisions. Also consider having the ones that matter (those that won't judge you) among your friends and family read these couple of posts.

Hopefully you will find the medication that works to give you peace and a sense of equilibrium. But as you know, you have to be prepared to switch drugs from time to time. Don't worry about that. Withdrawing from antidepressants is another story for another time, so don't worry about that either; you will know when or if that becomes what you need to do.

Stay strong and don't be afraid to reach out for assistance when you need it. I wish you the greatest success with your health, and in the raising of your precious little girl.

#46 freddiekatt

freddiekatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

Freddiekatt

I will go down your list of queries and add a few notes.

--I want to know why doctors and insurance companies only seem to care about putting you on drugs.

I think many doctors are in the business of making symptoms go away. When symptoms go away, patients are quiet, so a cure appears to have occurred; but patients can also be quiet because they don't care anymore or perhaps they can't formulate a sentence because of the drug.

Of course the primary objective of insurance and drug companies is to turn a profit.

--I . . . find that the psycho-social skills I've learned and tools play much bigger of a role in maintaining my mental health.

Yes I agree- it's everything!  Those of us that have gone through therapy have learned that the reason we're in therapy is because (among other things), we lacked those skills that would otherwise have enabled us to live normal lives. Had we learned healthy psycho-social skills, perhaps we wouldn't be talking to the therapist or taking mind-altering antidepressants.

--Last thing;  lots of advice on "listen to your doctor".  Half the time they are really not helpful nor really care or even believe the side effects I experience.

I totally agree. I would say keep your doctor in the loop and listen to what he/she has to say, but disregard the parts that are BS. And yes many physicians (based on my experience, and what I've read here and elsewhere) don't believe the side effects we report, and they don't seem to research this stuff much. Their how-to-withdraw advice is often exactly opposite to what the manufacturer recommends (an example of BS). Therefore the advice they give isn't always helpful.

--Guess what they said....decrease dose for 2 weeks,, then every other day....then every 3rd day.

Yup. With regard to Cymbalta that has a short half-life (12hrs), this step-down-skip-a-day approach is asking for trouble. Eli Lilly, the manufacturer advises in their literature not to reduce by steps, but rather to employ a slow linear taper. And Eli Lilly also says to monitor your body's reaction, and level off as necessary for a few days before continuing. 

I just wanted to give you support and add a couple of comments. Regarding the fact that you've been on a month, my understanding is that it takes 6 weeks to fully upload the drug. This relates to whether you could have difficulty withdrawing. After a month, I would taper off rather than quit cold turkey, but probably anticipate some unpleasant days or weeks withdrawing.

You can do this. Best wishes.

Thanks for your input.  I couldn't agree more.  I was struggling with doing every other day ( 48 hours) and then I thought...why not 36 hours?  It's been good and I can't wait to get off the drug completely.  I may well need an antidepressant...but honestly  SNRI's are not good with me...for whatever reason.  I work in medicine...I'm a veterinarian.  So I understand a lot of the issues from a medical standpoint.  I just believe....as I do for my patients...that they know more than me about their animals....and I know more than me about me!    Doctors have not served me well in the past.  I had an upper respiratory issue for 8 weeks....ended up breaking my rib from coughing so much.  I had gone to my GP 3 times and also 2 walk in clinics.  The staff at the emerge were shocked and asked..."why has no one done any testing on you?"  I had to agree.  It was worth the 10 hour wait in emerge with a broken rib.  My doctor sucks.  I got a new one and she is marginally better.  She knows some stuff and has actually touched me!!!  I came with lock jaw and she looked in my ears and said it was an inner ear infection.  I think that's the first time my doctor....a doctor...has touched me in about 5 years!  The half dose (opening up the 30 mg and taking half the beads) is good and every 36 hours I only have to deal with withdrawal for about 6 hours.    I know every doctor says don't do this but wtf....I need a smaller dose.  And 20 mg is not small enough and won't be when I start weaning down more.  I think I'll do this for about 2 weeks....I don't want my brain to be shocked.  And then I'm off of it.  Back to ciprolex if I need to but I'll see how I fair without any drugs for a bit.  As I said....I am more successful with tools I've learned in treatment.  Mindfulness is the biggest and brightest star in my life!  If you don't know about it....please look into it.  There is a great app called "headspace" and it's free for 10 sessions.  I have since purchased a membership but it's wondersful  John Kabot zinn would love it:)  You can do it anywhere and it's short..., 10, 15 or 20 minute sessions.  Please give it a try.  Saved my life.  Maybe why I don't feel drugs are the answer:)

#47 freddiekatt

freddiekatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

I think that I'll stick with decreasing the dose every 24 hours.  I mean..why go thru the withdrawal?  Thanks for that advice.  I agree with the half life being what it is....I have been saying....why do I keep introducing the drug when I'm withdrawling from it?  Never made sense.  I think I'll continue taking it every 24 hours....avoid the withdrawal....and taper down to next to nothing...opening up the capsule..  Thanks!

#48 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

Freddiekatt

Yes, I'm a fan of Mindfulness, Mindfulness/Acceptance, and Mindfulness Meditation. It's the only way to create a little space within the relentless inner chatter. Also a big fan of Sam Harris.

#49 madspinx

madspinx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

My name is Barb.  I am on day 9 of going off Cymbalta cold turkey.  It was not deliberate at first, it was because I couldn't afford the medicine *still paying deductible*.  Now it is deliberate.  I called my doctor and left a message today to see if there was something she could give me.  I am hoping the worst is over (but am not believing based on what I am reading).  Am having terrible nausea, my eyes are weird, brain bounces all over and terrible crying fits.  The later in the day the worse the crying.  I am amazed by what I am reading but happy to know it is not just me.  Why are we not informed of what the meds can do?  My days of blindly taking what the doctor prescribes are over.  I was put on this medication by my pain mgmt. doctor due to constant pain from 5 neck surgeries.

#50 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

Madspinx, welcome to the site. I am glad the days of blindly taking a dr prescription is over for you. They only go by what the pharm companies tell them plus they are human.

I don’t recommend cold turkey unless there is no choice. The cold turkey withdrawal can be quite severe and usually lasts longer. With swapping meds you lower your dose of cymbalta over a 2 or 3 week level to zero and at the same time go on a different ssri with a lot less severe withdrawal, say zoloft, lexapro or prozac. Once you make the switch you slowly come off the new ssri. Very slowly. The third choice, bead counting, is where you open the cymbalta capsule each day and remove a few beads, usually 2 or 3. So the first day you remove 3 beads, the next day 6 beads, the next 9 beads etc. This provides for a slow steady withdrawal. If symptoms get to bad you just hold at that dosage for a while until you stabilize. Then start dropping again. Be aware that for most the last few beads give the worse withdrawal. Be prepared to slow down when you get to the very end. Now this is just an example. Some can only remove 1 bead a day and others 7 or 8 beads a day. You will have to play with it a little bit to find what works for you. This doesn't mean you won't have withdrawal but it will be lighter and you will have some control over it.

No matter what route you go we are here for you. Keep us posted and best wishes.

#51 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

Madspinx, welcome to the forum...You will find an abundance of support here through your cymbalta withdrawl..You are not alone..Others will soon be chiming in with their experiences, love, support, and knowledge to help you answer any questions you may have.

It appears the symptoms you are experiencing may very well be from cymbalta withdrawl..and many others have experienced the same...soon you will hear from them..

Best of luck to you..

#52 freddiekatt

freddiekatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:51 AM

OMG I hear ....all of what you are all saying.

I am a seasoned person if you will! lol.  i came off effexor about 3 years ago...maybe 4.  It was a nighmare and hell and took about 6 months of me feeling like a true addict.  I would shuffle off to the bathroom at work to "take a few beads" to just try and feel normal.  It was such a great day when I was off.

Then I went on ciprolex.  it was great.  No issues.  It's an SSRI.  cymbalta and effexor are SNRI's.  I apparently can't do this type of antidrpressant.  So....

They put me on cymbalta cause I have fibromyalgia.  Didn't notice any changes in the 6 weeks I was on...and I realize it wasn't long.  When I found out it was an SNRI I kinda got scared.  I wasn't doing well on cymbalta...was not sleeping in spite of my sleeping pill....had more anxiety than ever and just this restless, extra energy thing.   I thought....and my doc agreed....don't take it at night.  So I skipped my nite dose and planned to take it in the morning.  OMG.  I had all the same f-ing withdrawal symptoms with effexor!  Just from 12 hours....

I've tapered and doctors don't know crap.  From the time I first started antidepressants 20 years ago.  I called in when I missed a few days/prescription and said I had these symptoms.  They were like..."there is no withdrawal".  Screw you lady that answered the phone at my docs office 20 years ago:)

My current doc didn't even suggest me coming off ciprolex before starting cymbalta.  I really don't think anyone can understand until they have gone thru this stuff.

A tapering schedule isn't "drug specific".  I mean.  Am I right?  Take a lower dose for two weeks;  then do it every other day for 2 weeks.  Common!!!  That's all a doctor can say or do for you.  You guys might be in the US where you pay for medical appts.  I'm in canada.  While it's wonderful we have a system that pays for medical...well...my doc appts are on average 4 minutes long and they just don't give a crap.  For years I've wanted to go the the states and pay for an appt....just to have someone actually listen, auscultate my lungs...actually practice good medicine!

I am going off in one week...completely.  I am at about...8 mg.   I mean.  I can't get much lower.

I rue the day that I was put on cymbalta.  They didn't know....but I DO.  I can't ever be on an SNRI again.  

I do well with ssri's ....just saying it.  Other peeps....at dinner with friends....she said she had no issue at all coming off of effexor.  So it truely is different for everyone.  

lets just get off this drug for good.  Let me know how you did it!

#53 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

First of all welcome to the site. You are right, in the states we do have to pay for the appointments but the rest matchs you story. TThe docs still don't know crap about the crapalta and the withdrawal instructions are usually the same. By the way, don't let the last 8 mg fool you. They can be tha worse. I would still go slow with them. Good luck and keep us posted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users