256 replies to this topic

#121 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:33 AM

Wagtail, hope at last, and I am happy for you that you could talk to your doctor ang get prescriptions to lower the anxiety issue.

Thismoment says that life only exists after the anxiety, and that is such a true phrase. So So true.

Your life freezes wiht anxiety, stagnates, the fear is consuming and nothing, I mean nothing matters in those moments, life ceases. I often went through this, and death seemed a sweet outcome in those moments.

Of coursre I would prefer not to be on diazepam, weaning in a very very slow manner. But I also want to be able to live my life without the fear and what it brings along with it. There is a time for everything, and Wagtail, I wish and pray for the best for you, you have been through a lot.

#122 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:44 AM

Wagtail

Great to hear you had a chat with your doctor, and you've addressed the medication issue. If it was me, I would start the medication now. 

As you know, all medication has side-effects and I see that constipation is indeed on the list- but not everyone is affected. Also, you can fix that one with fresh fruit and other basic supplements. Don't worry.

The new medication will give you a boost, and when you see your therapist you might find you are able to engage a broader range of conversation. I'm sure this will help! Please keep us posted.

Best wishes!!

#123 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Wagtail

I think your dr made a good choice. I would start with the Clonidine. The 0.1 mg dose twice a day is the standard amount. Once you have been on it about a week then consider using the lorazepam as needed for outbreaks of anxiety but never more than 1 tablet a day.. I am hoping the clonidine will be enough to bring you releif.  As far as the constipation. Yes, that is possible. Myself it never did that to me but it has to others. A little Milk of Magnesia will keep you regular and supply the needed magnesium as well. Be sure to take the clonidine once every 12 hours. That way you have a nice even level in your blood at all times. I will also suggest you take it at 8 am and 8 pm. It will help you relax and go to sleep. It takes an hour and a 1/2 to start working so take it early enough to help you fall asleep.

#124 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

Wagtail, that is just wonderful!

Bravo to you for getting right in touch with the doc and talking about all of this with him depth! And it sounds like he's a good doc....you've got a "keeper"n! He's a member of your "care team" for sure....keep him in the loop....regularly!

I'm with TM and FH on the meds...start the Clonidine now, and then after you settle in with that, do not hesitate to use the lorazepam...but just the prescribed dose.....it'll "hold" you better than the Xanax, with fewer ups and downs....

Between now and the therapist appointment,focus just on settling into the new medicines and the dosing schedule....follow it carefully, and if anything doesn't seem to be quite right, pick up the phone and call the doc right away....no more trying to go it alone or make your own self diagnosis.....

Also, just because you feel better do not go out and do lots of things with your new found well being....rest, relax, enjoy quiet things around home....heck, hang out here with us all day ;-). Watch happy movies or tv, etc...putter, don't try to "accomplish".... Then, you'll be rested and refreshed for your introductory chat with the therapist...the first meeting, or couple, are just him/her asking questions, taking notes, and gentle chatting...and you asking questions of them.....quite enjoyable, if I recall!

Well done, my friend!

#125 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

Tria

The generic name for Inderal is Propranolol. It is a beta-blocker like atenolol. My wife was given propranolol for tremors and it works fine except, like you, her feet are always freezing!! It is used for anxiety as well. Good call.

#126 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Wagtail - so glad you got to talk to your doctor! I'm the one who mentioned the clonidine is constipating.  I take 0.1mg once a day (at night).  I do get constipation from it, but I also have a tender digestive tract - almost everything bothers my tummy!  The drug has worked well for me, I wouldn't let this side effect stop me from taking it.  Although I wasn't kidding about the prunes, I eat a few dried prunes a day and I'm usually ok.

TM - thanks. I wish I could have stayed on the Inderal. My feet were so cold it literally hurt to walk, and that was while wearing silk sock liners and two pairs of socks!  I would have had to buy my shoes in a larger size to accommodate all the socks :)

#127 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

Wagtail

I think your dr made a good choice. I would start with the Clonidine. The 0.1 mg dose twice a day is the standard amount. Once you have been on it about a week then consider using the lorazepam as needed for outbreaks of anxiety but never more than 1 tablet a day.. I am hoping the clonidine will be enough to bring you releif.  As far as the constipation. Yes, that is possible. Myself it never did that to me but it has to others. A little Milk of Magnesia will keep you regular and supply the needed magnesium as well. Be sure to take the clonidine once every 12 hours. That way you have a nice even level in your blood at all times. I will also suggest you take it at 8 am and 8 pm. It will help you relax and go to sleep. It takes an hour and a 1/2 to start working so take it early enough to help you fall asleep.

Thank you fishinghat , I took my first Clonidine @ 8 am & it's now nearly 10 am & Im feeling a bit groggy , is this normal & if so will I adjust ?.. I don't want to walk around feeling groggy all day every day ..:-))))

#128 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

Hi wagtail! I have no clue about the Clonidine and grogginess....I just want to know how the anxiety is doing so far today? Is it too soon to tell if there's a difference?

I'm rooting for you!

#129 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

Hi Wagtail - I never noticed any drowsiness from clonidine, but I've always taken it around 9pm and only once a day so perhaps I wouldn't notice it as I'd be in bed in several hours :)  If I understand how clonidine works, it can drop your blood pressure quickly after taking it (and someone correct me if I'm wrong here please!) so that may account for some of the drowsiness.  My guess is that you will get adjusted to it.  If it continues, consider checking your bp if you can.  Keep in mind, you can always try just 0.1mg at night if you can't get past the drowsiness but I'd give it a good chance at the higher dose first.  Another note on clonidine, do not stop it suddenly. Doing so can cause your bp to skyrocket.  If you want to stop it or change your dose, check with your doc on how to do it.  One last thing to mention.... oh I can never be brief, sorry!.... clonidine also comes in a patch form.  I tried it but it made me itch unbearably where the patch was.  I don't know if the patch provides a more steady dose or not???  Just things to keep in mind, you have options!

#130 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

Tria is right. In a couple days you will adjust to the clonidine. She is also correct on the itch from the patch. It can drive you crazy. It takes about 2 or 3 days for your blood levels of clonidine to stabilize but you should be able to feel the calming effect before that.

#131 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Wagtail...

I want to hear that you're getting rid of that dreadful anxiety!  I hope my doc will be of help tomorrow..

Take good care,

Liz :hug:

#132 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

As usual I've run out of likes so consider all the above LIKED ..

I've started my journey with Clonidine , took my first tablet @ 8am & by 10am I felt like I needed to sleep but minimal anxiety .
I feel like I'm in an old black & white movie & doing everything in slow motion ha ha .. I realize that it is a antihistamine so I understand that it has slowed me down somewhat . I don't care as long as that debilitating anxiety / panic / fear has relented .

I really didn't know what to do to ease my fear yesterday & was climbing the walls , but as soon as you all logged on & came to my rescue with your calm advice & support , I gathered enough STRENGH to do what was needed . I picked up the phone & asked to be squeezed in for an appointment with my doctor & the rest you all know .
I did try to get in to see the pychologist as an emergency but they were fully booked .
My hope now is ... To take the clonidine regularly & limit the anxious feelings , as much as I don't want to take any medication on a daily basis , I also don't want to live in a world of fear everyday either .

I emailed my 3 adult children this morning & explained what had happened to me & what I was doing about it & told them how you had all helped me & got me to get help .
Their reply was that " they are in you debt " each & every one of you , even my doctor applaudes you for your knowledge & compassion to hang around to help anyone who needs it . You're a force to be reckoned with , all of you ...
Sending cyber kisses to YA ALL ....XXXXXX

#133 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:58 AM

We'll it's now 4.45 pm & for reasons I don't know I am feeling a bit anxious, and as usual as soon as the dreaded anxiety puts it's foot in the door it starts to grow into something scary & the physical s/e's start .. Flushing skin & the fear creeps in also ... Oh damn if ai can't control it what do I do !.. I'm due to take my second Clonidine @ 8pm but if I get worse do I take my first Lorazepam ?.... I wish I knew what triggered this because I was having an alright day & don't know what happened !..:-(

#134 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:14 AM

[quote name="Wagtail" post="43053" timestamp="1403161065"]We'll it's now 4.45 pm & for reasons I don't know I am feeling a bit anxious, and as usual as soon as the dreaded anxiety puts it's foot in the door it starts to grow into something scary & the physical s/e's start .. Flushing skin & the fear creeps in also ... Oh damn if ai can't control it what do I do !.. I'm due to take my second Clonidine @ 8pm but if I get worse do I take my first Lorazepam ?.... I wish I knew what triggered this because I was having an alright day & don't know what happened !..:-(

It's now 7pm & Ive been giving it some thought ... The last Zanax I took was 23 hrs ago !... Because I was starting the Clonidine today to help with my anxiety , I thought I wouldn't need the Zanax , but maybe I am beginning another Zanax withdrawel .. ????
I have a new benzo to replace the Zanax , it's called Ativan ..( Lorazepam ) but now I'm too scared to start it !!!.
Maybe I should just take my usual dose of 0.5mg Zanax & rethink my plan when I settle down again ... OMG I am sooooo stupid .. Why did I think the Clonidine would replace the Zanax ??????...
I'm beginning to regret ever going off the Cymbalta ... My God I can't believe I even said that ... What is happening to my brain ... !!

#135 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

Yes,dear wagtail....you let yourself take the lorazepam right now.....that's what it's for....I'm sorry I didn't Kaveri my old fart bladder bathroom run right when you posted...I'd have said to do the same thing....

By now I think you'll have had the second dose of the Clonidine...

Remember what Tria, TM and FH said yesterday???it'll take a bit for the Clonidine to get up and running in your system....use the lorazepam to fill in the gaps ...

And then, after a night sleep, call your wonderfully understanding doc and let him know you had this bit of a challenge at the start of the Clonidine.....he'll want to keep a note of that, so he can help you with the dosing schedule.....

This isn't anything you've done "wrong".... Don't forget, your poor body and brain have been fighting the anxiety big time for quite a while....they need a bit of time to settle back down now they're getting some more help!

Be easy on yourself...and don't think it's not working....you're doing this just right!

#136 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

And I'll stay right here online with you....take it and come back and talk with me for a while until you feel a bit better and safer,

Oops, I see the time now...still a bit too soon for the Clonidine...ok, lorazepam acts quickly!

#137 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:22 AM

Sorry about the weird typo in the first line of my first post...this ipad and my fat fingers collided!

#138 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

Wagtail, how are you feeling?

I'm falling back asleep.....I'm praying that you're not back online cuz the lorazepam is already starting to help....I'll check back in a couple of hours....Cymsilk is on now, too I think...she's had a rough night ...if you're up to it, check in on her, ok?

#139 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

Hi FN , thank you for replying so quickly ..I haven't taken anything yet . My husband came home from work & we had our dinner . I've been trying to ride the wave of bad feelings ..
When I took the Clonidine this morning it made me very drowsy all day , I don't know if Taking this & the Lorazepam would knock me out & scare the hell out of me . I'm scared that I might have a reaction to the Lorazepam !...
I'm just plain scared ... Leaning towards just taking my Zanax tonight ...:-(((

#140 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:55 AM

Wagtail, how are you feeling?
I'm falling back asleep.....I'm praying that you're not back online cuz the lorazepam is already starting to help....I'll check back in a couple of hours....Cymsilk is on now, too I think...she's had a rough night ...if you're up to it, check in on her, ok?

FN , cymsilk ?.... I can't find this member !!!:-(

#141 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Good morning, all...

Well, today's the day and I am dreading this whole process.  I see both the therapist and pcp this afternoon...  I am so tired that I feel sick.

I took an alprazolam about an hr before going to bed last nite and went right to sleep but, again, woke up at about 320am.  Could not go back to sleep so took another at 430am - still no sleep. Got up to eat something as I thought that might help, but of course it didn't.  Dozed on and off til about  7 - let dogs out and tried to go back to bed.  No luck.

I, like Wagtail, don't want any more meds, but could it be that the alprazolam isn't working that well any more?  I will take 1/2 before I leave for the drs as I don't want to be in the middle of anxiety when I am there.  When I wake up, I immediately feel that familiar heartpounding feeling of dread...

omg...what is happening to me - and I was doing so well!

#142 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hi Wagtail. Yes the drowsiness will fade in a few days from the clonidine. Clonidine is not an antihistamine, it is a beta blocker. Meaning it slows your adrenaline production. It will take a few days for your level of clonidine in your blood to level off so be patient. If those late afternoon times before the next dose is due gets rough, you can go back to the zanax or take a half lorazepam (it works faster). Be patient my freind.

#143 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Hi wagtail and TFL, It breaks my heart y'all are having such a tough go at it right now. I am not up on meds as is f'hat and FN, but I am pulling for you with all I have! You'll def' be in my thoughts and prayers, dear friends! Hugs and prayers!!!

#144 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Clara, I've got no clue about the meds the way FH and TM do.....I just "ride their coat tails" ! ;-)

#145 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Trying FL I'm your mirror imagine lovely lady ... I have the same dreadful feelings every time I wake up ...we have to keep reminding ourselves ( & I know how hard it is to do ) that these are JUST FEELINGS & can not harm us , I don't know if you're like me but if I let my mind become negative it just gets worse... I have just woken up & have made a cup of tea & trying to settle my feeling down with deep breathing & I' m telling myself that it' everything ok . Trying to control my thought & not let them control me ... It's almost time for me to take my 2nd Clonidine ( I was too scared to take one last night ) & I am scared of it !.
I switched from Zanaz to lorazepam yesterday & I was freaking out last night when it was time to take my first one (1 mg).. My instinct was to take the Zanax because I was familiar with it but I gathered the STRENGH & took the lorazepam & it worked nicely . PHEWW

Like you my dear friend , I am disappointed that I have been to hell & back & come such a long way to reach 7 months Cymbalta free only to hit rock bottom now .. I am hoping with all my heart that this is the last of the Cymbalta hiding away somewhere inside of me & hitting me with everything it's got to make me go back on it , to try to make me think that I am suffering from my original depression / anxiety , PTSD ...

I don't want to be the one who needs to go back on a antidepressant , I am soooooo scared of them now .I see my new therapist on Monday & hopefully she will guide me back to reality .

FH , I'm happy to see your name pop up in my emails because You always manage to make me feel better with your STRENGH & calmness.
I thought the Clonidine was a antihistamine & that was why it made me so groggy , thanks for putting that straight for me .
When the pharmacist gave me my new Clonidine & lorazapam he gave me pages of information on both medications to read but to tell you the truth THEY SCARE ME !...
All the side effects you may or may not get !!!!! Put the idea on my head & I will just wait for each & every one to hit me .... & I will talk myself into getting all of them . I am sooooooooo vulnerable & gullible ...
Alright , here I go it's time to take my Clonidine my 8am one .....& IF IF IF ... later today the fear of the fear hits me I will take 1/2 a lorazapam ... I AM NOT GOING TO FEAR THE FEAR TODAY !!!.
I Heart you guys ......xxxx

#146 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

On the light side , I just re-read my above post & if I were a school teacher , I would be marking it FULL of gramma errors , see that's how bad my mind & trembling fingers are. ( in my defense ) .
I can't believe how I ramble on now & how bad my writing has become , it's all over the place with punctuation mistakes everywhere.
Pre Cymbalta & even on Cymbalta I was so much more articulate ... My brain is Swiss cheese or maybe blue vein !!!!

#147 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

Wagtail

You need to stay on the clonidine schedule. I know you are afraid but that is what it is for. It will reduce the fear. Because you did not take one last night the first one is out of your system so now you have to start building it up all over again. Stay on the every 12 hour schedule. It is not an ssri or snri like the antidepressants we all hate so bad. It is an anti anxiety drug and right now that is what you need.

#148 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

Wagtail, I hope your new meds work for you - don't be afraid to try them!

I wish I had new meds (see my latest post under I'm Scared).  I am going to just live with the Alprazolam for now and look for a new pcp.  I'm so P'ssd off I want to scream!

All that time working to get off it and then being told I should probably go back on it! :angry:  In other words, the almost 5 1/2 months were for nothing!! 

#149 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

TFL

He is full of.......

#150 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

Hahaha! Thanks FH and Tm for allowing us all to hang on! Hope y'all are not draggin' the ground!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users