Photo

What Makes Cymbalta A Worse Antidepressant Than Other Meds?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Not being sarcastic at all....but I was wondering for those who have taken other antidepressant medications what makes Cymbalta a worse than the others?  I know they all come with side effects and it really depends on the person I just did not know if there was some sort of evidence or documentation as to why people seem to feel it is worse.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

There is several research articles that show Cymbalta changes nerves in the brain (hypothalamus and amygdala). It is unknown if these changes are permanent or not.  Another factor s that excess unused Cymbalta is stored in the liver and fat tissues. As you wean off the Cymbalta some more will be released from the fat tissue back into the blood stream and extend the withdrawal.

#3 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

dtg

I suggest you read the post by Five Notions under LETS TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE as we have a law firm representing us Cymbalta Discontinuation cases.

You will find much useful and helpful info on our forums here - have you read any of them?  Here you will read about all the horrors that our members have experienced while trying to get off this poison...

I am almost at 6 months off and still having  some unpleasant symptoms.  There are very few who have managed with little to no symptoms.  If you are one of them, I wish you the best!  

#4 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

Interesting!  Is this different from how other antidepressants work?  What about compared to Effexor?  I know that they are both in the same category of medications..both snri's. 

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

The withdrawals for cymbalta and Effexor are considered to be very similar.

#6 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

Darn TryinginFL...i hate when I run out of my daily allotment of 'likes' :D I second your advice to check out the forums to downtongirl...i keep my laptop at my side constantly and read, re-read & read some more!! I wish I would've been smart enough to check out this Cymbalta forum years ago...but then I trusted the shrinking head that he knew what was best for me!!

When oceans of emotions take over I start reading posts to keep holding on for another second, minute & hour at times. I am so damn stubborn when I get bent on something!! I am not having an easy time at day 9, but I do know after reading some of my first posts, I am making progress...albeit @ a snails pace leaving slime behind! How are you doing?

#7 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Where do I find this forum at?

#8 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

CymSik

Thanks!  I just wish I had found this forum before I was 2 weeks into cold turkey from 60 mg/day!  I continued on and certainly couldn't believe things were that bad!  (But unfortunately, they were - at least for me)

And you are at day 9 - wow, I am pulling for you - I know how tough it is...

Reading the forums is great - sometimes you find a question you hadn't even thought of yet and then - there's the answer!  Invaluable info!

Hang on - it's a bumpy ride, but we'll all help! :)

#9 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

dtg

Move to the top and click on "forums"....

#10 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

Forgive me I guess I am having a brain fart but when I click on forums I don't see a topic or forum listed by this name?  Is it listed in one of the other forums/

#11 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

dtg

Are you asking about the forum we are typing on or something else?  Sorry, but now I'm confused...

When you click on "Forums" you should see many topics and the last post to each.  (Member and time)

If you look to the right you will see the new forums that have just been started. 

#12 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

TryinginFl...i cannot imagine 60-0!! I down dosed from 120 to 60 then to 30 starting somewhere around the beginning of May & all seemed okay, truly! Then I got 60mg Lupine generic Cymbalta which has 12 pellets inside & all hell broke loose when I took six of the pellets for the 30mg dose I had been taking (I had run out of stockpiled 30mg We-lie Lilly!). I was so out of it & had no idea the generic most likely caused a horrible reaction! Lupine Pharm is in India & I read that generics (particulary from India, Mr. Reddy & Lupine that I read about!) can have a 15% variation from the brand!! These are supposed FDA inspected labs!! Yeah, right:0 The more I learn/research the scary this nightmare becomes. I do know this from my personal experience, it is akin to cliff diving when you drop below 30mg. and feel as though you survived the fall but landed on the rocks instead of in the water and then try to survive alone without being rescued off the rocks!!

#13 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

Dtg...At the top of the screen click Cymbalta Withdrawal Help and Support & you will enter the equivalent of the Encyclopedia Brittanica of topics & posts to read about others experiences and links posted by members to more research/info that has answered every single question I could think of on this journey getting off Cymshit! I am trying to shut up & just read but I do have the need to vent and seek support from others who have travelled this winding road toward recovering. Keep posting, please...but I would recommend reading & searching for an even greater footing toward understanding what the hell is happening to you/us. There is strength in numbers...God bless you

#14 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

PS...TryinginFl. FN was my middle of the night buddy to help me get somewhat upright after a having a complete meltdown:...( She was the one who mentioned the possible generic reaction...God bless her as I know she has saved countless of others in an otherwise 911 moment, literally, in those unbearable times we are convinced we will not survive this living hell of trying to get off of the C word!

#15 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

CymSik - thanks for your help!  I admit to being technically-challenged and wasn't able to explain that very well :(

Yep, I was on the generic for the last month and I just decided that it wasn't doing anything for me, nor was the Lyrica, so I just stopped taking them both about the 3rd week of Jan.  I had no idea what I was in for.  I was one who took what the Dr. gave me and never questioned anything.  He gave me the Cymbalta after I lost my daughter 5 yrs ago when I couldn't stop crying.  The Lyrica was for the Fibro.  I have since developed arthritis as well and the Lyrica was not helping either one.

I switched Drs before I did this and didn't tell the new Dr until it had been 4 months since I quit.  He was not happy with me...

Anyway, I saw him about 2 weeks ago and he wanted to put me back on the poison - a lower dose.  I told him NO and I am now in the market for a new Dr.

Yep, Five Notions is very knowledgeable and an enormous help to all!  Love her!!

I am now almost to the 6 month point and have problems sleeping and sometimes get huge anxiety attacks.  Other than that, all is well!

Take care and Yes, there is light coming - trust me!

Liz :hug: 

#16 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

TFL...who could stop crying after losing a child??!! My God, I feel so small after reading your post:...( Cannot relate to that pain & suffering on any level. We sound very similar in the fibro/arthritis experience though...I remember the Lyrica challenge from 6 years ago when I was a caregiver for my precious Mama...blew me up like the Michelin man! Cankles where your ankles become the same size as your calves!! Awful...dropped that junk once I realized that was the source of that misery:|. Oh my, I so want to hope that somehow the fibro/arthritis can be managed in some holistic way.

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

Aw, Cymsik and TFL, such kind words for me!

My old fart bladder makes me get up several times a night, and each time I do, I check in here on my way back to bed.....it adds a positive dimension to the utter annoyance I feel at my poor old bladder. :-D

#18 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

CymSik

In reading so many topics as you have, did you discover the ACV tonic?  I have been drinking this for about 6 weeks now and somewhere between the 3rd and 4th week, my pain was almost gone!  Unbelievable, but there is something to be said for the old fashioned remedies!

I also get a RX for massage therapy which I have every week and it is extremely helpful - insurance pays for it with the RX...

Do you think you could manage that?   (Just wondering, though, if I change Drs I have to be sure I can still get the RX!) Insurance needs new RX every 90 days.

Just some food for thought...

#19 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

TFL...I have read several posts about the acv tonic;) When I can get out of the house, ugghhh:-(, scary thought right now, I will get the acv. I asked a girlfriend to pick me up some but, bless her heart, she brought me rice vinegar:/ I didn't have the heart to tell her it was the wrong kind of vinegar because she had bought me some groceries & made chicken & dumplings (mmm, comfort food) out of concern for me. So, I am all over it when I can putput to the market;) Thanks for the reminder.

#20 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:12 AM

CymSik

In reading so many topics as you have, did you discover the ACV tonic?  I have been drinking this for about 6 weeks now and somewhere between the 3rd and 4th week, my pain was almost gone!  Unbelievable, but there is something to be said for the old fashioned remedies!

I also get a RX for massage therapy which I have every week and it is extremely helpful - insurance pays for it with the RX...

Do you think you could manage that?   (Just wondering, though, if I change Drs I have to be sure I can still get the RX!) Insurance needs new RX every 90 days.

Just some food for thought...

May I ask what insurance is that (If too personal a question n/p I respect privacy

#21 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:22 AM

I cringe seeing the ads for Lyrica >another evil drug<  another one called Tramadol.   (But the Cymb add vanished)

#22 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

ZappAlta

I was on Lyrica longer than the Crap and didn't know until recently that it also causes weight gain  - between the 2 it is no wonder I gained 30 lbs!  So far I have lost 12 and it continues to come off slowly with my aqua fitness and healthier food! :)

Re the insurance:  I have Medicare and supplemental is United HealthCare through AARP.  So far, the coverage is excellent.  I had 2 foot surgeries and never paid anything...

Take care,

Liz  

#23 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

CymSik

Chicken n Dumplings.....yummmm!!!

#24 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

In the months I have been doing the research, some report it to be worse than heroin withdrawal due to the changes it makes in our brain chemistry. And the extended period of time it takes to return, if ever, to the way you were pre-Cymbalta (AKA crapalta) also sets it apart from older, known anti-depressants. 

The altered brain elasticity, the neuron paths, the hypothalamus--all of these things make it different. The manufacture even reports it does not know exactly how it  works only that it helps depression and pain by serotonin and norepinephrine re-uptake. Somehow.  They produced it in the 1990's for another reason and brought it out later on as a wonder drug. Wonder if correct!  I wonder how many people it will ruin before they take it off the market. How many thousands of doctors will be in wonderment when it finally comes to light the damage this drug caused their patients' bodies and lives...

#25 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

Fishinghat, do you have a source for the changes made to neurons in the hypothalamus?

Cheers,

Adam

#26 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

Yes I do BLD. I am getting ready for church right now but will post it when I get back.  If you can't wait the article is in "Cymbalta in the news".

#27 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

Here are some of the articles to changes in the hippocampus and amygdala.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23732229

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23675317

Hypothalamus to follow.

#28 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

The original article was in this wiki report. I notice it has been removed from the report. I am attaching the Wiki document and when I get a chance I will see if I can locate the original research. Sorry.

http://www.wikidoc.o...ual_Dysfunction

#29 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Xman

I was unable to find the original research. I did find the following articles on effects of Cymbalta on the hypothalamus. Most deal with changes to the 5-HT, dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2626928/

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18751896

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15991911

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8592129

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7576005

#30 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

There is several research articles that show Cymbalta changes nerves in the brain (hypothalamus and amygdala). It is unknown if these changes are permanent or not.  Another factor s that excess unused Cymbalta is stored in the liver and fat tissues. As you wean off the Cymbalta some more will be released from the fat tissue back into the blood stream and extend the withdrawal.

I agree FH , I'm almost 7 months off & still have mini withdrawals every time I over stretch myself ...I must have a hell of a lot stored in my FAT cells .. A good example of this is , yesterday I went for a long walk along the beach for about an hour ... This was around 12pm & it felt nice . I had been feeling quite OK for a couple of days so thought I would venture forward, by 6 pm I felt the very recognizable drop in my mood with some nausea & the immediate fear of what was about to come . Of course this fear always makes things a lot worse . So , intermittent sleep last night & fatigue & that wiped out feeling this morning ... Oh the joy of this gift that goes on giving ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users