God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

oh good Lord, Fishinghat ... not what you needed right now .... other than a string of expletives that would get me banned from the forum (gee, maybe I could be the first one of us to get a "warning") ... why in the world would a shrink want to go from the frying pan into the fire ... taking over the in-house psych ward at a hospital ... ??

I've got one thought/suggestion ... what about talking to this guy, and asking (begging?) him to keep you on as a patient ... lay it on thick ... he's the only decent doc you've had, you trust him, your recovery depends on him ... whatever ... I've heard of docs doing this, keeping a few "private clients" on the side ... ?

hmmm ... another thought ... if you were to contact Drs. Shipko and Breggin via email ... ask if they know of/ can recommend anyone near you in Missouri who understands this stuff ... ?

#122 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

FN, there is a tremendous shortage of psychiatrists in Missouri. This is one of the few even willing to take a new patient. The old doctor is already gone to the hospital job and under their contract they are not allowed to do private practice. Actually I am not to worried about this dr because I am the one in charge of my health and I will walk if I have too. You know you maybe right. I will try to contact them. Thanks FN.

#123 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

FH, this is a nutty idea, but is there such a thing as telephone shrinks? Or Skype? .... Do we have to have a shrink near us, and do a walk-in face-to-face visit?

#124 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,899 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Yes, the law requires that in order to write prescriptions a doctor must physically see his/her patient at least once per year.

#125 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

Heck, in that case, I'd get a shrink in Hawaii or some other vacation paradise ... then write off the costs of the annual trip as medical expenses :P

#126 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,899 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

That sounds like a good idea.!

P.S. I just finished emailing both drs.

#127 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

That's great, FH ... Shipko got right back to TM and ... someone else here contacted him? Gail? I don't know about Breggin, that reminds me I wrote to him over a month ago, and haven't heard back ... hmmm...

#128 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,899 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Well Dr. Breggin just emailed me. He said he couldn't help but he did hit me up for his non-profit organization.

#129 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Sheesh, FH ... that strikes me as really tacky ....

#130 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,899 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

Not exactly politically correct.

#131 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

FH, I've been wondering how you were doing! God bless you, my friend! My heart is with you! You're always here for us and never complain! Will pray you find a pdoc that will work with you and for you!!!

#132 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a zombie of too long.
    I want a life!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

I'm not feeling very optimistic today. 

I have looked into the withdrawal process of a few more of my meds. trazodone will be much like crapalta and klonopin is going to be hell too.

I have decided to taper trazodone at the same time as the crap. I will deal with the benzo in "Hell of My Life Part 2".... 

I need new doctors. I'm firing my primary Dr for yelling at me during an akathisia attack and she olny works wed, thurs and friday. I need a psychitrist with knowledge of withdrawal. My current prescriber is a NP. She has been very good but I need someone that can order blood work to monitor my potassium and everything else that might improve as I get off this stuff.

I'm overwhelmed by the fact that I can't do this on my own. At least not without potentialy hurting or killing myself unintentionaly.

#133 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

ReneeRJ, I understand that you want to get off the drugs… me too. i am on the C and lamictal, but don't dare wean off them together. the C is a solo project. if you can at all avoid weaning off the traz and focus on the C i would recommend it. i am suspect our acquaintences would suggest likewise… anyone? also, other anti-d's can actually help soften the withdrawal symptoms from the C. i don't know why you were taking it, but traz is an old school seritonin reuptake inhibitor so may offer some support. i used to take it at night for a short while as a sleep aid when i was on effexor.

#134 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Renee, don't be a fool ... please ... get off just one drug at a time ... Cymbalta first ... leave trazadone for later ... you aren't thinking or acting rationally or in your own best interest ...

if you try to quit two drugs at once, you'll have double ... or triple/quadruple ... the symptoms and you are guaranteeing that you'll fail ... and will end up still on both of these drugs, and possibly even hospitalized and on yet more drugs ...

one drug at a time... otherwise you'll have no idea what symptoms are related to what drug weaning process...

And, you're threatening to do all this right when you're also threatening to fire your docs ....

You have TOO COMPLEX a list of drugs you are on, and issues you're dealing with to do this to yourself ...

Yes, I'm shouting ... I'm trying to get through to you .... listen to us here ... PLEASE ...

#135 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,899 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Renee, FN is absolutely correct. That is just too much to handle at once.

#136 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

ReneeRJ, please listen to FN and f'hat! One med at a time for your own good!  Please!

#137 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Fishinghat....there you are.  Looking for your posts and never even thought you were typing on the negative thread...dahhh.  Oh my goodness what you are going through.  I remember how much you enjoyed your previous doctor and how understanding he was and how he helped you.  I do like your attitude about this new psychiatrist you are going to see.  You are definitely in charge.  You do get to make your own decisions concerning yourself.  My feeling about this new doctor might just be a feeling, although being a younger and newer psychiatrist might be exactly what you need.  He could be more understanding, more up on newer issues, and I'm sure with your personality you will win him over to see things concerning what you have been through and what you are going through now. 

You have much to handle right now and this has added more anxiety to your condition.  I too would be flying high with anxiety from anticipating, and uncertainty.  FiveNotions has some very good suggestions and I'm glad you have taken them into consideration.  

You have such a 'will' I know you will prevail.  My prayers to you for this new doctor to be the one which will give you 'exactly what you need'.

#138 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Come on Renée, do not quit the trazodone, it will soften the withdrawal as Brzg mentionned.

You wont know what is doing what, listen to the others. You have all the time to taper off whatever meds. you are on.

Yes, it is hard, painful, scary. Just the crapalta thing is enough to want to jump out of your skin, I know.

Time, give it time, as I say this, I am saying it to myself.

I understand that at times you will think you wont be able to make it, we have been there also. Ans some of us are still at this point.

Minutes seem like hours. And you think this will go on forever. We, again, all think this. And then, when you least expect it, here comes a ray of hope, of sunshine. A smile comes on your face, this gives you the motive to continue.

Do keep a journal of those minutes, hours of when you begin to feel better. And on bad days, they are a reminder that there is hope.

When feeling like shit, take out that journal, we do tend to forget we had a few good moments here and there, it's like it's been going on forever. That journal of good moments has kept me from losing it many times. Bon courage!

#139 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Renee...

I got off of Trazodone, but only after I was off the Crapalta for several months.  My RX was for 50 mg (mild dose) which I took for sleep.  It was not a problem getting off of it, but then I had been on it for many years so maybe it wasn't even doing much for me any more! 

I definitely recommend getting stable off the C. before you start with Trazodone - I DID IT!!!

I understand your wanting to get off of most of your meds - I felt the same and I feel that I have achieved that to the best of my ability at this point.

PLEASE - C. FIRST - others can follow in time!

#140 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I want a life!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

Thank you for your advise and support.

I'm just trying to get a jump on the process. I'm only prescribed 100mg of trazodone at bed. last night I took 25mg. I will keep it at that for a few weeks while I decrease the C. 

From what I can tell, the withdrwawl is simmiller for both so I don't care which is causing the most symptoms. I just need to get off them to stop all the neurological side affects that I'm having. Im so week in my right arm that I use my left for everything now. I cant even turn a doorknob with my dominant hand. I have episodes of akathasia so bad I have been to the ER twice. I want to get this over with as soon as possible. These are the symptoms I have while ON the crap and Traz because I'm so confused that I forget to take doses. 

I believe that I have been on a withdrawal rollercoaster for the past year unintentionaly. 

The sooner I get this crap out of my system, the sooner I will be able to think more clearly. 

I'm not reducing my Benzo. Hopefully that will be enough to keep me out of the institution (been there done that for 2 years)

I can do this. I wont be the first to do it and I will survive.

I have been to hell and back all my tife. this will just be a temporary challange

#141 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,899 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

Either way you have our support Renee. God bless and hang tough.

#142 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

Whatever you decide to do, Renee, just stay with us here and keep posting ... we care about you and we'll do everything we can to help you!

Are you sure, however, that you want to dump your doc right in the midst of all this? Also, do you have friends/family who know that you're working on getting off these meds and who are supportive?

#143 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I want a life!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

I have only been with thi doctor for a few months. It is very difficult to get an appointment. I arrived 5 minutes late to my 2nd appoint which was supposed to be a 1 month follow up and they made me reschedule 2 months later. She has no clue about psych med withdrawals and is the one that put me on the water pill and potassium. Yes I'm sure I don't want to ever see her again!
My nurse practitioner who prescribes my psych meds I have been seeing for around 13 years now. She has switched my meds constantly because of adverse reactions. I think I will keep her, I just need to educate her. If she doesn't get it after I show her the facts, she will be gone too. She is on vacation until August 3rd.
My rheumatologist is new too. I have only seen him twice. He seems very concerned about my health but is on vacation too. I have an appointment with him on August 6th. I called his office to get a neurologist referral but the secretary said I need to get it from my primary. I told her he said he would give me a referral to one if my primary didn't, but I have to wait till I see him on the 6th. That is fine. It is coming up soon.

I just want to know if my symptoms are from withdrawal or a disease. I know I have an autoimmune disease, just not sure which one. The rheumatologist said my bloodwork indicates polymyositis. That is a death sentence so if that is the case, withdrawal is the least of my problems.

It is the waiting that bothers me the most.

Thank you for your support. I will be checking in to read your posts, but I will try to not post anymore because I have no clue about anything right now and I wouldn't want to confuse anyone else.

Thank you for this forum ☺️

#144 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

Renee,
Please keep reading and feeling love and support from the few people in the world who have an inkling of what you are going through.
And if possible, please keep posting.
Sincerely,
Praying,
JJones

#145 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Renee, that's what this forum is here for ... posting when we don't have a clue what's going on and just need to talk with friends who care about us ... so, don't you dare stop posting through all of this!

And what is this "polymyositis" stuff that you say is a "death sentence"?

#146 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

FiveNotions....I inquired about the Ebola virus (EVD) tonight while at the lab...The techs had their lecture with the Infectious Control Doctor yesterday. Quite interesting data on this virus (how I miss working there)..What they are suspecting is they virus will not reach the US...as I stated suspecting....the labs are being equipped with the test for the antibodies through blood taken from an individual, or viral RNA (like DNA) testing or the virus itself to confirm diagnosis. First all cholera, malaria, or other viral hemorrhagic fever testing (too complicated to explain...lol) have to be ruled out before the testing for Ebola. Once again they do believe, at this point it is transmitted through coming into contact with some carrying this virus and through broken skin and blood, and the like (much like HIV). Its a scare right now and with all the hopes, it doesn't reach the US like they are suspecting it won't ...Although, hospitals and labs will be generally equipped with the necessary testing and quick diagnosis.
This is quite a concern and I'm hoping it stays contained....That's about all the info I could explain in laymen terms...lol lol

#147 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I want a life!

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

FN polymyositis is an autoimmune disease where your body attacks your muscles. Those affected have severe muscle wasting/weakness. If it affects your heart muscles, you die.

There are other complications that can cause early death too. 

I'm sure I don't have this because I don't want it ;) I want my symptoms to be from something like a pinched nerve. you know the kind of thing that has a cure :D

#148 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hi, Renee...You sound like a determined woman with a will to survive! That says to me you will keep fighting and sort this out in due time...that's the killer is Time! I, too, have been "on a roller coaster of withdrawal the last year" stopping/tapering 7 meds, Cym being the worst i could ever imagine, all without doctor assistance as they were/are not interested in taking me off of them.

My thoughts are with you & hope you will, as others have said, keep posting! It is a gauge for me of my success & setbacks as I do not keep a journal (a fear that if I die, someone will read it & know how nutz I was!) stupid, I know but sensibility in not one of my character assets!

Are you still taking the Cym & Trazodone?

Blessings & Cyber Hugs, Rebecca

#149 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Well, can I be negative?! Seems that when I get bad/negative news.. I get thrown into w/ds...AGAIN!!!! Dear step daughter lost her job yesterday, 7 year old grand daughter had an ultrasound on her liver today.... mother of said grand daughter went to my 84 year old dad wanting to borrow $$ for vacation....what???? When my Dad was trying to tell me that my daughter in law came to him to borrow money to take a vaca.... before he could get it all told.. I had this horrid pain shoot up my spine....low to high.. scared the crap outta me! I just knew someone had died or something! First time ever!!! Yes, my spine does ache since Cymbalta, more so at stressful times, but this shooting pain... I am scared. Yes, it's just dumb kids driving me nuts... this daughter in law... well I don't have a good relationship with my son or 2 grand daughters because of her, and she had the nerve to go behind my son, and myself to ask  for money for a vacation!! God help me!! Thank God my 84 year old Dad had the where with all to say no... Sorry y'all. I just had to rant..... And that's my negative plus it's rainy, dreary, and chilly here in SC and I feel like a real nutcase!!! Hugs to all! Sorry for the rant, but feels good to get it out!

#150 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

! It is a gauge for me of my success & setbacks as I do not keep a journal (a fear that if I die, someone will read it & know how nutz I was!) stupid, I know but sensibility in not one of my character assets!

Hey Cymsik, I do keep a journal, and when this thing is over, I will burn it.

I too am afraid that if someone should read it, or find it, they would say I was nuts. Or gone crazy.

And feel pity, I would not like this.

This is my party, and no one has to know the details about this mind of mine. Just for me to re-read it makes me tingle.

By the way, love your humor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users