#151 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:
    Trying to cope with withdrawal/discontinuation. Have depression and anxiety since my teens.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might help with the terrible headaches and muscle pain I have? None of the OTC' s have worked. Also, I'm on Prozac, Wellbutrin and Klonopin. I need to be on meds for my depression and anxiety even though I don't want to be. What meds are "safe", meaning unlikely to cause withdrawal. Thanks.

#152 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

kathy

I found nothing off the shelf would stop my headaches. I never asked for an opioid for the headache pain, but I suspect it would have helped.

For the muscle pain you could see about upping the dosage of Prozac or Wellbutrin. Take care.

#153 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

Kathy...I see now. You told your psychiatrist your symptoms and she feels your lightheadness may be caused by not eating enough, and basicially you are experiencing indigestion. Sure, its very understandable you do not want to go to the psych ward, due to this could all be withdrawal symptoms and not a psychological issue where they might put you back on other meds, which you are definitely trying to avoid. I certainly understand everything now. Indigestion, you poor thing. I truthfully can't stand when my stomach is upset and I fight nausea. omg. I'd rather fight the nausea, go and lay on the cool bathroom floor with the nausea until it passes. Indigestion, omg this drives me nuts...I always have tums in the medicine cabinet, and I use my dad's old method of 1 tsp, of baking soda in a glass of ice water with a fresh lemon juice...lol lol. That is what helps me. I also have indigestion when I'm highly stressed...too much acid I produce... ginger ale helps me a lot too at room temperature. All you can do is just listen to your body and what it's telling you. If you continue with the lightheadednesss (I experience this often also as I am shallow breathing during those times) and it feels too much, you might just call your GP and get a routine blood and urine test to rule out other issues. Best of luck and please keep us posted...

#154 Amysgarden

Amysgarden

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationUS
  • why_joining:
    Kicking the poison out of my life

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

Hi Amy, I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad also. I think I'm eating fairly well, but I have indigestion. I've been taking vitamins too. The withdrawal has to be putting our bodies under tremendous stress. How long have you been going through the withdrawal?

Kathy, I am on day 15 of being completely off Cymbalta, cold turkey from 30 mg. I've been in the slow and not very functional reduction of my dose for the past two years, but because I didn't know about the bead counting back then, I dropped from 90 to 60 and then 60 to 30. I've been coping with moderate withdrawal symptoms all year since January, when I dropped to the 30 because my insurance changed and I could not afford to keep taking it. But wow.... the physiological stress from cold turkey discontinuation is really intense. I think it's our bodies struggling to readjust.

Have you ever tried coconut water? It really helps with dehydration, and I don't know about you, but I've become a lot more sensitive to heat and dehydration. I'm used to working in the heat, but since going off the med, I often feel like I'm on the verge of heat exhaustion, even despite the amount of electrolyte stuff I drink. Some of my friends have recommended trying miso soup. I also struggle more now with blood sugar levels. Seems like I crash from low blood sugar a lot faster than I used to.

Do you keep good protein snacks on hand. I've found it helps to eat small snacks throughout the day rather than large meals.

#155 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

Amysgarden. Great to mention the protein..

#156 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:
    Trying to cope with withdrawal/discontinuation. Have depression and anxiety since my teens.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

kathy

I found nothing off the shelf would stop my headaches. I never asked for an opioid for the headache pain, but I suspect it would have helped.

For the muscle pain you could see about upping the dosage of Prozac or Wellbutrin. Take care.

thismoment,  I didn't think anything off the shelf would help the headaches. I'm hesitant to ask for opiates, don't want to get hooked on those, but if the pain keeps up I may have to.  I'll see about the Prozac or Wellbutrin for muscle pain. Thanks.

#157 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

Kathy...I see now. You told your psychiatrist your symptoms and she feels your lightheadness may be caused by not eating enough, and basicially you are experiencing indigestion. Sure, its very understandable you do not want to go to the psych ward, due to this could all be withdrawal symptoms and not a psychological issue where they might put you back on other meds, which you are definitely trying to avoid. I certainly understand everything now. Indigestion, you poor thing. I truthfully can't stand when my stomach is upset and I fight nausea. omg. I'd rather fight the nausea, go and lay on the cool bathroom floor with the nausea until it passes. Indigestion, omg this drives me nuts...I always have tums in the medicine cabinet, and I use my dad's old method of 1 tsp, of baking soda in a glass of ice water with a fresh lemon juice...lol lol. That is what helps me. I also have indigestion when I'm highly stressed...too much acid I produce... ginger ale helps me a lot too at room temperature. All you can do is just listen to your body and what it's telling you. If you continue with the lightheadednesss (I experience this often also as I am shallow breathing during those times) and it feels too much, you might just call your GP and get a routine blood and urine test to rule out other issues. Best of luck and please keep us posted..

Carleeta,  Yes, since the withdrawal began I have indigestion. I had it a little before but it's gotten worse since the withdrawal. I've tried Tums and also the baking soda in water but it doesn't help much. I'm drinking ginger ale too. I suspect that the anxiety, which causes shallow breathing is part of the problem of my light headedness. I wish this anxiety would go away.

#158 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Kathy, I am on day 15 of being completely off Cymbalta, cold turkey from 30 mg. I've been in the slow and not very functional reduction of my dose for the past two years, but because I didn't know about the bead counting back then, I dropped from 90 to 60 and then 60 to 30. I've been coping with moderate withdrawal symptoms all year since January, when I dropped to the 30 because my insurance changed and I could not afford to keep taking it. But wow.... the physiological stress from cold turkey discontinuation is really intense. I think it's our bodies struggling to readjust.

Have you ever tried coconut water? It really helps with dehydration, and I don't know about you, but I've become a lot more sensitive to heat and dehydration. I'm used to working in the heat, but since going off the med, I often feel like I'm on the verge of heat exhaustion, even despite the amount of electrolyte stuff I drink. Some of my friends have recommended trying miso soup. I also struggle more now with blood sugar levels. Seems like I crash from low blood sugar a lot faster than I used to.

Do you keep good protein snacks on hand. I've found it helps to eat small snacks throughout the day rather than large meals.

Hi Amy, Like you I was trying to get off the Cymbalta since January. I'm finally off of it for 6 weeks. You're so right, the discontinuation is extremely intense. I can only imagine what our bodies are going through.

I did try coconut water once but didn't care for it. Honestly I don't know how you work feeling so lousy. I know that you have to work though, but it has to be nearly impossible.

A couple of weeks ago I had some blood work done and just got the results. My protein is a little low. What are some good protein snacks. I'm not a big meat eater, but protein snacks would be a good idea.

#159 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

Kathy, Understanding the indigestion, which could be acid reflux and associated with stress at times. Most of my family has this and they don't even suffer from anxiety..lol lol. They do us over the counter meds for this and maybe this could help. I will check with my son and cousin and see what they use and get back to you on that. Especially, since you told me you had a bit of indigestion prior to Cymbalta. It's something to think about. Anxiety is the biggest concern from withdrawal from many different meds. It's trying to talk yourself out of the anxiety/fear daily. It's not easy and it doesn't just go away that fast. Although, self talk will help lessen some of it. The best words to use for self talk are "So What" and "what's the worse than can happen to me". Constantly using these words silently to yourself all day long for days and days...I have to use these words all day long and everytime I leave the house. My words then start to loosen the anxiety which I am holding in my body. Soon I find my breathing is getting deeper instead of more shallow. This may work for you also, and again it's just a suggestion

#160 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Carleeta,

what we tell ourselves is so true! i found that my self talk is what turned my anxiety around. i allowed myself to become totally paralyzed by the anxiety but realized that it was up to me to get myself moving in the right direction. 

Kathy,

you mentioned shallow breathing. you are exactly right. however, not only does anxiety cause shallow breathing but the opposite is also true, shallow breathing causes anxiety. practice taking belly breaths! this works for everyone! if you practice long enough it becomes 2nd nature. 

http://altmedicine.a...y_Breathing.htm

#161 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

bzghoff, absolutely true... shallow breathings works both ways....... :)

#162 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

Kathy, Understanding the indigestion, which could be acid reflux and associated with stress at times. Most of my family has this and they don't even suffer from anxiety..lol lol. They do us over the counter meds for this and maybe this could help. I will check with my son and cousin and see what they use and get back to you on that. Especially, since you told me you had a bit of indigestion prior to Cymbalta. It's something to think about. Anxiety is the biggest concern from withdrawal from many different meds. It's trying to talk yourself out of the anxiety/fear daily. It's not easy and it doesn't just go away that fast. Although, self talk will help lessen some of it. The best words to use for self talk are "So What" and "what's the worse than can happen to me". Constantly using these words silently to yourself all day long for days and days...I have to use these words all day long and everytime I leave the house. My words then start to loosen the anxiety which I am holding in my body. Soon I find my breathing is getting deeper instead of more shallow. This may work for you also, and again it's just a suggestion

Hi Carleeta, I do have acid reflux and notice that stress makes it worse. I've tried over the counter and prescription meds, but none of them helped. I have a hiatal hernia which is probably the cause. Yes, anxiety is about the worst symptom of the withdrawal.I spend a lot of time trying to talk myself out of it but I'm not having much luck.It can be exhausting trying to make it go away. I try to remember to take deep slow breaths, but it doesn't always work. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

#163 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

Carleeta,

what we tell ourselves is so true! i found that my self talk is what turned my anxiety around. i allowed myself to become totally paralyzed by the anxiety but realized that it was up to me to get myself moving in the right direction. 

Kathy,

you mentioned shallow breathing. you are exactly right. however, not only does anxiety cause shallow breathing but the opposite is also true, shallow breathing causes anxiety. practice taking belly breaths! this works for everyone! if you practice long enough it becomes 2nd nature. 

http://altmedicine.a...y_Breathing.htm

Hi brzghoff, I keep trying to do the deep belly breathing, but so far it hasn't become second nature. I really struggle with anxiety. Thanks, I'll check out that link.

#164 Amysgarden

Amysgarden

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationUS
  • why_joining:
    Kicking the poison out of my life

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:28 AM

Hi Amy, Like you I was trying to get off the Cymbalta since January. I'm finally off of it for 6 weeks. You're so right, the discontinuation is extremely intense. I can only imagine what our bodies are going through.
I did try coconut water once but didn't care for it. Honestly I don't know how you work feeling so lousy. I know that you have to work though, but it has to be nearly impossible.
A couple of weeks ago I had some blood work done and just got the results. My protein is a little low. What are some good protein snacks. I'm not a big meat eater, but protein snacks would be a good idea.

The only way I can really drink coconut water is when I am feeling really lousy with dehydration, and even then, it is best chilled and on ice. As for work, I have to take one moment at a time and not even think about the whole day. Ibuprofen and cognitive behavioral techniques are about the best I can do.

I keep protein bars such as Clif bars on hand. Raw almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds are great snacks. Also, cheese or yogurt are good.

#165 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

Kathy, hiatal hernia will definitely cause indigestion, and sensitivity to foods you eat will cause much indigestion. Therefore, the stress, hiatal hernia, and stress have you most likely in a state of constant acid reflux with indigestion problems. In this case I'm not sure what will work, as you need to take care of both issues.

For the anxiety and relaxation. It's definitely a difficult process to calm yourself down, and trying to cope with meditation or breathing techniques. There is one process which can make you slow down your shallow breathing without you needing to concentrate on your breathing and this will occur naturally. Here it is : Count backwards from 21 to 1. Inhale on the 21 exhale on the 20, inhale on 19 and echale on 18...and etc. continue doing this until you reach one. At the same time picture Donald Duck holding up flash cards with the numbers on them...that's it. and I'm serious about this process. you can go as fast as you like in the beginning, until you realize you can go slower. This believe it is a self talk, visualization, and breathing technique all in one. Very easy to learn and very easy to do. In time you will realize you are inhaling for a second and exhaling for a second..Each time you do this you your mind and body will learn how to relax and you will find you are breathing correctly. Just give it a try and see how easy it works and then we can work from there.......Best of luck to you....

#166 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Hi brzghoff, I keep trying to do the deep belly breathing, but so far it hasn't become second nature. I really struggle with anxiety. Thanks, I'll check out that link.

i certainly understand. i've worked on it since quitting the C 14 weeks ago, and its only now starting to become 2nd nature. however, when anxiety wells up, i remember, oh yeah! belly breaths, and start again. the best time to practice is when the anxiety is lower. its easier at that point to start getting into the "groove"  so when anxiety kicks into a higher gear, you've got a stronger skill set. its not instant. takes practice, but its never too late to start. 

also, for the indigestion/acid reflux, try omeprazole/prilosec. its an OTC but if you can get your doc to prescribe it its way cheaper if you have insurance than buying it off the shelf. takes couple days to work

#167 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

The only way I can really drink coconut water is when I am feeling really lousy with dehydration, and even then, it is best chilled and on ice. As for work, I have to take one moment at a time and not even think about the whole day. Ibuprofen and cognitive behavioral techniques are about the best I can do.

I keep protein bars such as Clif bars on hand. Raw almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds are great snacks. Also, cheese or yogurt are good.

Yes, for some reason coconut water just doesn't taste that good, and I like coconut. I really admire your strength.

I've been eating more cheese, nuts and yogurt. The protein bars are a good idea. Thanks Amy.

#168 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Kathy, hiatal hernia will definitely cause indigestion, and sensitivity to foods you eat will cause much indigestion. Therefore, the stress, hiatal hernia, and stress have you most likely in a state of constant acid reflux with indigestion problems. In this case I'm not sure what will work, as you need to take care of both issues.

For the anxiety and relaxation. It's definitely a difficult process to calm yourself down, and trying to cope with meditation or breathing techniques. There is one process which can make you slow down your shallow breathing without you needing to concentrate on your breathing and this will occur naturally. Here it is : Count backwards from 21 to 1. Inhale on the 21 exhale on the 20, inhale on 19 and echale on 18...and etc. continue doing this until you reach one. At the same time picture Donald Duck holding up flash cards with the numbers on them...that's it. and I'm serious about this process. you can go as fast as you like in the beginning, until you realize you can go slower. This believe it is a self talk, visualization, and breathing technique all in one. Very easy to learn and very easy to do. In time you will realize you are inhaling for a second and exhaling for a second..Each time you do this you your mind and body will learn how to relax and you will find you are breathing correctly. Just give it a try and see how easy it works and then we can work from there.......Best of luck to you....

My doctor said that surgery to correct hiatal hernias is not very successful. I'm really trying to avoid certain foods. The stress is my biggest problem.

It is so hard to stay calm. Sometimes I feel like the harder I try the worse it is. I'll try the breathing, but as I said sometimes the more I concentrate on it the more I feel anxious. Thanks.

#169 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

i certainly understand. i've worked on it since quitting the C 14 weeks ago, and its only now starting to become 2nd nature. however, when anxiety wells up, i remember, oh yeah! belly breaths, and start again. the best time to practice is when the anxiety is lower. its easier at that point to start getting into the "groove"  so when anxiety kicks into a higher gear, you've got a stronger skill set. its not instant. takes practice, but its never too late to start. 

also, for the indigestion/acid reflux, try omeprazole/prilosec. its an OTC but if you can get your doc to prescribe it its way cheaper if you have insurance than buying it off the shelf. takes couple days to work

I guess after practicing the breathing for awhile, it does sort of become second nature. I'll keep trying.

I'm going to my family doctor on Tuesday, and I'll talk to him about the acid reflux/indigestion. Thanks.

#170 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

I've noticed since being off the Cymbalta that my depression is really bad. I try to talk myself out of it but it just doesn't work. As much as I don't want to take meds I think I have to. Can anyone suggest what meds are least likely to cause withdrawal if I need to stop them? Thanks.

#171 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

My doctor said that surgery to correct hiatal hernias is not very successful. I'm really trying to avoid certain foods. The stress is my biggest problem.

It is so hard to stay calm. Sometimes I feel like the harder I try the worse it is. I'll try the breathing, but as I said sometimes the more I concentrate on it the more I feel anxious. Thanks.

Kathy, it's difficult to just start a new technique for anxiety and it definitely causes more anxiety in the beginning, especially when trying to concentrate on it.  That being said, it's the baby steps that need to be taken.  For example counting backward from 21 to 19 and then stop.  then the next day 21 to 18, and so forth.  Just count fast and forget about it until tomorrow...this way you are only taking a few seconds a day and that's it.  It does take time.  After all it took a long time for you to get this way and it's going to take time for you to relearn to relax and lessen your anxiety.  It's very understandable....Best of luck to you

#172 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

I've noticed since being off the Cymbalta that my depression is really bad. I try to talk myself out of it but it just doesn't work. As much as I don't want to take meds I think I have to. Can anyone suggest what meds are least likely to cause withdrawal if I need to stop them? Thanks.

Kathy, it's Fishinghat who is most knowledgeable in the med field.  Unfortunately, I am not.  Although if you need to get back on meds, and you just might have to because there are some of us who have to take medication to have some 'quality of life' and that perfectly ok.  Wishing you luck in find the right med which will help you...:)

#173 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hi Kathy.

Clonidine is a classic bp med BUT it is very effective on anxiety. It is an alpha antagonist which means it stimulated alpha adrenaline synapses. These synapses are located in the frontal lobes of the brain and are used to control the amount of adrenaline our body produces. When these synapses are stimulated by the clonidine the brain thinks that it is due to adrenaline and it tells the adrenal gland to produce less adrenaline. It is a little slow to kick in, about an hour and a half. It has a 12 hour half life. Most drs prescribe 0.1 mg twice a day. One to be taken about an hour before bedtime and the other in the morning. Because it decreases adrenaline it has a strong calming effect which helps a person get to sleep and stay a sleep. It is not unusual for people to have a little daytime drowsiness from clonidine until they get use to it ( one or 2 weeks). It does NOT work faster sublingual (under the tongue) like benzos.

Lastly, hydroxyzine. It is very effective against anxiety in most people but many get no help from it at all. It is not addictive nor does it have withdrawal and it also can lower blood pressure some but that usually goes away with time.

#174 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

Hi Kathy.

Clonidine is a classic bp med BUT it is very effective on anxiety. It is an alpha antagonist which means it stimulated alpha adrenaline synapses. These synapses are located in the frontal lobes of the brain and are used to control the amount of adrenaline our body produces. When these synapses are stimulated by the clonidine the brain thinks that it is due to adrenaline and it tells the adrenal gland to produce less adrenaline. It is a little slow to kick in, about an hour and a half. It has a 12 hour half life. Most drs prescribe 0.1 mg twice a day. One to be taken about an hour before bedtime and the other in the morning. Because it decreases adrenaline it has a strong calming effect which helps a person get to sleep and stay a sleep. It is not unusual for people to have a little daytime drowsiness from clonidine until they get use to it ( one or 2 weeks). It does NOT work faster sublingual (under the tongue) like benzos.

Lastly, hydroxyzine. It is very effective against anxiety in most people but many get no help from it at all. It is not addictive nor does it have withdrawal and it also can lower blood pressure some but that usually goes away with time.

Thanks for responding fishinghat. I take clonidine, hydroxyzine and klonopin. They help me sleep, but don't help my anxiety during the day. Do you think it's from the withdrawal.

Mainly what I'd like to know is about antidepressants. As much as I don't want to, I need to be on them. Do you know which of them are least likely to cause withdrawal if I stop them. I'm so afraid of them now.  Thanks.

#175 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

Kathy, it's Fishinghat who is most knowledgeable in the med field.  Unfortunately, I am not.  Although if you need to get back on meds, and you just might have to because there are some of us who have to take medication to have some 'quality of life' and that perfectly ok.  Wishing you luck in find the right med which will help you... :)

Hi Carleeta, It's going to take me a long time to relax, my anxiety is so bad. I'm wondering if the withdrawal actually causes anxiety. I know I need to be on meds for depression and anxiety to have any quality of life even though I fear them now. I just don't want to ever have to go through withdrawal from antidepressants again. Thanks!

#176 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

Kathy...yes you will experience anxiety from quitting cymbalta...it is a withdrawal symptom..I truly know how you feel about anti depressent and withdrawing from them...It's understandable and we all feel just as you do....you are not alone...:)

#177 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

Zoloft, Lexapro and Prozac have the longest half-life and are the easiest to come off of. This is just my opinion but I would say it takes plus or minus around 3 months to wean off and the severity of the withdrawal symptoms are about half of Cymbalta. As you already know there is a lot of variability with anti-depressants so I can't really be dead on accurate. I hope you understand.

#178 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

I was just looking at some of the data on these three. I would have to say closer to 4 months to wean off them, not because the withdrawal is so terrible but because of the long half life. It just hangs on in the blood longer. But that makes the withdrawal easier too.

#179 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

Kathy...yes you will experience anxiety from quitting cymbalta...it is a withdrawal symptom..I truly know how you feel about anti depressent and withdrawing from them...It's understandable and we all feel just as you do....you are not alone... :)

Carleeta, I hate the anxiety so much. I also hate the depression. It helps to know that I'm not alone in how I'm feeling. Thanks.

#180 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

Zoloft, Lexapro and Prozac have the longest half-life and are the easiest to come off of. This is just my opinion but I would say it takes plus or minus around 3 months to wean off and the severity of the withdrawal symptoms are about half of Cymbalta. As you already know there is a lot of variability with anti-depressants so I can't really be dead on accurate. I hope you understand.

Thanks for the info fishinghat. I'm on Prozac and Wellbutrin. I've been on the Wellbutrin for a long time, but only on the Prozac a couple of weeks. I think I was on it years ago, and it didn't help, but maybe it will now. Same with the Lexapro and Zoloft, I don't think they helped. I don't remember having withdrawal symptoms from any of them. If I did it was very mild. I do understand about the variability. I need something for depression, but want to be as sure as possible that I'm not taking something that's likely to cause bad withdrawal. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users