37 replies to this topic

#1 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I have fibromyalgia, Spinal stenosis, Severe Arthritus and Anxiety to name a few. I have been on Cybalta for over 6 Years. I just recently started taking the generic. For the last year or maybe less, I noticed that every time I ran out of my Cymbalta (60Mg.a day),  between fillings I would get this Swooshing sound in my head and when I would put my feet on the floor and walk, I felt like electric shock and I would panic and fill my Medicine. I never really knew it was the CYMBALTA because I am on a lot of medicine in pain management. I recently had the Flu and was so sick I forgot to take cymbalta for about 3 days. All that I have mentioned above started right away then Back on it . Today is my first day well and I keep having weird dreams too and talking in my sleep so I googled my feelings. It came up Cymbalta Warning: Discontinuing may Have Severe withdrawls! I Freaked out after reading and called my Neuro Medical Center, talked to my Pain management Dr.'s Nurse and TOLD her that I want to be weened off. She Talked to my Dr., called back and told me to go to my pharmacy and pick up a called in script of 30mg. cymbalta and to come in Friday to see him. I have no Idea what I am about to get into, only what I feel just missing a dose! Please help with any suggestions to make this easier. I have also been having bad dreams and sleep talking. My husband hears me, and I wake from my own voice. I can remember the entire dream and he tells me what all I said and I remember it? What's happening to me? 53 Year Old Mother and Grandmother of 2. I am scared!

Labreesiana

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

Welcome Labreesiana!

You have found a great place with caring and supportive people who will try to help you!

Yes, after 3 days of no C. (60mg, right?) you were already experiencing cold turkey withdrawal.  This drug only has a half life of 12 hours, so it doesn't take long to get to that point.  I went off 60 mg cold turkey about 13 months ago and spent the year from Hell!  It is also harder for those of us in the "over 50" crowd.  Is it your intention to get off this crap?

Your Dr. prescribing 30mg makes me think that he/she has a "non-workable" regimen to give you to wean off this poison.  They have no idea how to do this easily as they only know what the drug reps tell them and that is basically to keep you on the stuff forever.  No info on how to get off - and some don't think there is any withdrawal at all!  Just remember that whenever you skip a day you are putting yourself into withdrawal - many of the Dr.s have you skip every other day - WRONG!!!

There is a safe and controllable way to get off the crap using the bead counting method.  Man, do I wish I would have known about it!  There is a topic called Bead Counting - How To Do It under the forum Are You New Here?  Should you choose to do this, please feel free to come back with any questions you may have - we are here to help you!

You are also free to come back to rant if you need to - we have all done it and this is a very safe place!  There is also a forum called Nutritional Support which is helpful.

Let us know how we can help you - we care!

Liz    

#3 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

OMG Liz, thank you for replying. Yes I want to get off this crap forever. I was put on it for severe pain from fybro and failed back surgery. Now I am so scared to go through withdrawal but I will hopefully pull through this. I have never heard of Bead Counting. I will look for the topic tonight. I can't believe that of all things to worry about withdrawals. it is the Cymbalta that is gonna get me! I always worried about the pain pill, NEVER thinking or being told of what this med is capable of.

Can you tell me if others have nightmares and talk their dreams out loud in their sleep from this? Thanks so much again Liz. I feel like I may not be alone here.

Labreesiana

#4 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

Hi again!

No, you are not alone and you are not going crazy!  What you are experiencing is very normal for cold turkey withdrawal.

I also have fibro and arthritis, so I understand the pain. 

When you pick up your 30mg RX, take one of the capsules apart and count the number of beads.  You are on the generic, right?  The bead counting I mentioned under Are You New Here? also covers generic.  We do have a couple of members here who are excellent with helping you to taper off using this method and you will control the withdrawal - it does take time and there is no rush here.  You finish when you finish.  The object is to remain as comfortable as possible - none of those horrible withdrawal symptoms!  I wish I could help you more with the bead counting, but since I plunged into the cold turkey, I didn't have the experience! 

Please come back to let us know how many beads in each capsule and then you can be given exact instructions as to how to do this.  Please check out the topic though, as it will help you to understand.  Believe me, this is the safe way - the Dr. will not know about this (if so, I would be delighted and think that you have the best Dr. around!!). 

Just remember that you are and will be OK - you will get through this! :)   

#5 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:45 PM

Thanks God-like and Liz. I was about to ask where was the bead count forum then I read God-like's post. Headed their now. I guess it will tell me which Mg. to start with. I currently have both 60mg. and 30mg. as of this evening. Thanks so much, kind of feeling a little hopeful, but I know whats ahead of me and I will try to look at the glass half full aproach.

#6 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

Labreesiana

Hi and welcome!

TFL has given you very good advice.

Yes stay on the Cymbalta AT YOUR LAST DOSAGE and count the beads in the capsule.

Are you taking any other meds?

Thanks. Will get back with some bead-counting ideas. There are a few ways to do this.

By the way, the macabre and scary dreams are standard fare in withdrawal. They do go away.

Take care.

#7 Pups4Life

Pups4Life

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:53 PM

Labreesiana...I'm new here and also smack dab in the middle of withdrawal.  These people here are incredible...they will encourage you, talk you off that ledge of fear and offer much advice!  I, too, have horrible nightmares.  I had nightmares the whole time I was ON Cymbalta, but this is different.  They often leave me feeling very unsettled throughout the day and seem to run along the theme of losing those I love.  From what I'm hearing, it's part of the withdrawal.  Please take the advice of those here who are telling you to bead count and take your time.  I bead counted, but came off 20 mg in a week...thinking it was such a low dose and while I knew this was a doozie to come off of, I never in a milion years imagined I'd feel the way I feel.  Best wishes to you!!!

#8 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:06 PM

Thanks pups4life, I have a feeling we will be leaning on each other often here and I pray for us all. To TFL and TM, I counted 3 pills, 30mgs and got 195, 186, and 192. Do, I have to count the entire bottle? I am a bit confused and a little shaky counting. Thank God for Reading glasses. I guess I will take the whole 30mg tonight because I am dropping from 60mg last night to 30mg tonight. I could use all the instructions possible please and I am so greatful for everyones help.

#9 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:22 PM

Hey again!!!

PLEASE take the 60mg - dropping from 60 to 30 is way tooooooo much.....

Go ahead with your normal 60 tonite and TM will be back to give you detailed instructions now that you have given us your counts.

Sleep better tonite - the entire 60 should help!!

#10 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:53 PM

Ok TFL. took the 60mg tonight please get back with me tomorrow and God Bless You All.

LBreesiana

#11 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:57 PM

Labreesiana

The average number of beads is about 190, and we can work with that.

Take some time and get stable on the 60mg and then you can start weaning off by the bead counting method. Take as long as you like to get feeling stable-- might take a week-- you'll know.

Rest now.

#12 Pups4Life

Pups4Life

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:17 AM

When I was researching how to come off C, I read somewhere that one person got one of those triangled rulers and would open the capsule and measure out all the beads in the ridge and according to his measurements he'd know how many millimetres of beads to take out. I didn't do it myself but thought I'd throw it out there.

#13 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:09 AM

P4L

Good idea! Give it a try and see if the number of beads per mm is consistent. Let us know; might be a way to speed up the count.

#14 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

OMG Liz, thank you for replying. Yes I want to get off this crap forever. I was put on it for severe pain from fybro and failed back surgery. Now I am so scared to go through withdrawal but I will hopefully pull through this. I have never heard of Bead Counting. I will look for the topic tonight. I can't believe that of all things to worry about withdrawals. it is the Cymbalta that is gonna get me! I always worried about the pain pill, NEVER thinking or being told of what this med is capable of.

Can you tell me if others have nightmares and talk their dreams out loud in their sleep from this? Thanks so much again Liz. I feel like I may not be alone here.

Labreesiana

Yes Lab the nightmares and yelling out during sleep was a withdrawal symptom I had lasting 2-3 weeks

#15 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

Ok guys, I am starting this journey today. I find my hands are very shaky, but I am going to do the bead counting and I am going to have the support of my Husband. He is going to be in charge of the counting and taking away. I am very Blessed to have a supportive family. My 25 year old Daughter says she will help also. So I think I am going to start bead counting down from the 60mg till I get to the 30 which should be half way right? I will post as often as I can and I think I am going to talk to my pain management Dr. about it. We have a really good realationship, unless ya'll think he may think it may SOUND unstable telling him. Has anyone told their PM Doc and had success? Because the last thing I want is for him to send me to a Phyc Dr. Please give me your Thoughts. I also want to tell you I am on elavil for Migraines. should I just stay on elavil and get to that after I get this crap out of my life? I would like to say that right now YOU are my support system along with family. Also would 3 beads be a good start (3, 6, 9, 12 etc) or is that to aggressive or not aggressive enough? I know once the withdrawals start I can stay at the same dose for as long as it takes to even out and then start taking out again. I always knew that the xanax would be the one drug that I would have to get help getting off of and I NEVER realized that cymbalta would do this to me. It's like it took the old me away! I read some post about side effects on this pill, and I felt like someone had gone into my Life and put everything in my Life on paper. EVERYTHING! I was shocked. I have been a recluse for over 5 years now. And I use to travel with my daughter every Friday, Saturday and Sunday all over the country playing Softball for LSU and held down a job! After this Drug was prescribed to me, I slowly lost my entire life, gained 60 lbs. and lost all desire in life. I litterally stayed in our Guest party room for 4 and 1/2 years, not even sleeping in my bed at night with my Husband. I finally got out of that and came back to my bedroom when My 1st Grandchild was born a year ago. My husband supported me through all of this. He does all grocery shopping and cooking after work, which I use to do for him and my Children when they were growing up. I can't believe that as Strong of a Woman I was before this, I am merely a Shadow of that person, and I have to find her and get her back again!

LAB :(

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:01 AM

Great post Lab.

3 beads/day is a good start. You are blessed to have such a good husband for support. You might warn him that when you get down to the very end, say 15 beads to go, it usually gets worse so don't hesitate to drop 1 bead a day or even less. You have a good plan. Patience. You will get very emotional and anxious. Don't spend too much time worrying about that. It is not you but the withdrawal.

We look forward to your posts and if you need anything let us know.

#17 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

Ok Everyone, got a question. My 60mg cymbalta pills have 12 beads in each pill. So do I stay on 11 for a period of time before I drop my dosage to 10 beads? Please Help and Ty .

LAB

#18 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

Lab

Yes. You could consider dropping one bead every 2 weeks and be done in 24 weeks. Or 1 bead per week and be done in 12 weeks.

But the controlling agent should be the symptoms-- if they are too strong, you may have to pause longer between reductions.

I would try 1 bead out every 2 weeks and see how it goes-- see how long it takes to get feeling stable after you take out a bead-- then adjust accordingly.

Best wishes!!

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

You are right Lab. This must be a generic. I would recommend that each time you drop a bead you stay at that level around 8 or 9 days. Thismoment has a good calculation on that and I am sure he will chip in later.

#20 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

Sorry TM. I stepped on your post.

#21 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

FH

No problem. I'm having a bummer day-- Jon Stewart is retiring.

#22 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

ok then, 1 bead for 10 to 14 days. I will let you know how it goes...... heres to the 1st day of getting off this poisin. Thanks so much for this help. God Bless

LAB

#23 Sun

Sun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

Hi there, I was new here a few days ago and also a new user of Cymbalta, but nevertheless worried about stopping cold turkey. I received fantastic advice here and am now on day 4 of weaning off. 

My tablets contain 540 beads and I had great fun the first night trying to separate them on a dark plastic plate as I somehow couldn't find the post again about using small cups. This drove me to looking for an easier way to avoid my head exploding as more beads removed each day. I'm easily confused! Hope it's OK to post the links below, admin, I am using the youtube method, scattering beads onto a piece of folded black fabric and separating into piles with a small plastic set square. There is an occasional tiddlywink effect but it's so easy. I scoop up the beads direct from the fabric into the capsule rather than use fingers, the static seems to just suck them in. 

It works for me, hope it's of some help. No doubt you will get more info. re. the process, good luck!

http://survivinganti...-counting-them/

#24 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Sun,

Thanks for sharing!  I'm outta "likes"...

#25 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

Day 2 of 1 bead from 12 total. No change as of yet.

#26 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:11 PM

Day 2 of 1 bead from 12 total. No change as of yet.

Day 6 off 1 0f 12 beads. Feeling ok. My PM Doctor has agreed to the Bead Counting. He just asked if any problems call right away and he would see me. He also gave me scripts for 30mg and 20mg in case I wanted to get off on a 30 and 20 (50), then 2 twentys (40mg) then 1 30mg, and then 20 mg so that I have options. I am going to drop down another bead at 9 days. God Bless us All!!! Anyone went off, 10mgs at a time

#27 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

Way to go, Lab!  You're doing great - hang in there!

So happy that you are not experiencing any hard withdrawal :)

#28 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

Labreesiana

I think the method you are currently using is far better than the Giant Step-Down method suggested by your doctor. Dosage steps-downs need to be kept to a minimum. Let the symptoms dictate when to slow down and when to continue reducing.

Good work!

#29 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback TFL and TM. I am going to stay with the bead count then. My Husband thinks so too. so I have my answer, I don't want the Swooshing in my head again like I use to get when I missed a dose.

Thanks Again!    LAB

#30 Labreesiana

Labreesiana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:56 PM

Day 6 off 1 0f 12 beads. Feeling ok. My PM Doctor has agreed to the Bead Counting. He just asked if any problems call right away and he would see me. He also gave me scripts for 30mg and 20mg in case I wanted to get off on a 30 and 20 (50), then 2 twentys (40mg) then 1 30mg, and then 20 mg so that I have options. I am going to drop down another bead at 9 days. God Bless us All!!! Anyone went off, 10mgs at a time

Hi Everyone! I wanted to give you an update on weening off of this Crap. I am now taking "8 Beads" of the 12 in each capsule ( 60 MG) . I have had some really bad side effects so I am going slow dropping off. Brain Zaps started at 3 beads down but went away. At 4 down occasional Brain Zaps, Diarrhea (bad), Nausia (bad) and Anxiety comes and goes. My Husband wanted me to go up a bead because of the side effects but I told him NO WAY! I am going to fight this Poisin until I am Cymbalta Free!   Another ??? Where do I file a Claim for the Class Action Suit? 7 years of this Medication, I certainly deserve compensation. I hope All is well and I will keep updating my status. Thanks, LAB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users