Photo

Wean system my Dr. perscribed me..Please help!!

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#151 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

Cecile

Curvature of the spine doesn't cause nerve pain. It's a bone. What you are describing sounds more like something related to your pinched nerves. I don't know what the treatment is for that, sorry, but I would think anything to take the pressure off the related nerves would be the go.

No you won't die. I wouldn't think any breathing problems would be related directly to this either. More likely it's the anxiety you are feeling because of it. You need to calm yourself. Try breathing more slowly. Try focussing on your breathing alone... just...in... and then out... in.... and then out..... if you can do that for a few minutes, you will be amazed at how much calmer you will feel.

Good luck
Junior

#152 Cecile

Cecile

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • why_joining:
    I have been on Zoloft for 6mon. and Cymbalta for almost 1 year. I want to get off Cymbalta the Dr. put me on it for my panic attacks wouldn't stop happening, so the Dr. put me on Zoloft I had bad!!! Side effects on Zoloft, so the Dr. switched me to Cymbalta I haven't had any bad panic attacks since I have been on the drug just maybe 2 or 3 since it's going on 1 year already, to make the long story short! I want off of this meds I have noooo feeling or emotion...only usually during my menestrual cycle and that's usually when my panic and anxiety erupts. Anyway, I want off this med's and back to the life that i use to have a fun life not having to worry when to take a pill, or if i'm gong to have a next panic attack. I only hope and pray to God. once off this drug I wont go back to myself when I had bad panic attacks! what do you think?? do you think once off this drug i will have them again?? Anyway, I want my life back basicly....... Cecile

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

Sooo, i went to my General dr. and he refferd me to a neuro speacilist instead of a orthopedic surgen because he said orthopedic surgens don't work on the neck of people only a neurologist does...So that's where i'm going to now, the anxiety and nerves he gave me something to ease the pain in my neck...but the panic attacks he says he's going to have to let me do that on my own and find another phycologist on that part because he says it has been triggered from the very begining of everything..the insomia to sleep the thinking i'm going to die and never wake up again...

#153 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

cec,
Neurologist don't do surgery on your necks, i don't know why you were told this
but he will be able to treat the nerve problem, and also do nerve conduction
studies to see if there are any nerves that are damaged.

Your not going to die, and I think we both need to get into therapy, as we are
having a really hard time getting off this stuff, but also I think there is other
issues going on too.

Please check that site I left for you in another area, where you asked about the
flexeril. We need to be reminded what this does do to our minds and bodies
while coming off it, the withdrawls are mind boggling.

Love,
Debbie

#154 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

Cecile

I agree with your neurologist. Your panic attacks need to be treated by a psychologist. They can do a lot of good work with you and help you to control your anxiety. It has a lot to do with the way we think and we can change this. It takes a lot of work on your part though.

Cheers
Junior

#155 Cecile

Cecile

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on Zoloft for 6mon. and Cymbalta for almost 1 year. I want to get off Cymbalta the Dr. put me on it for my panic attacks wouldn't stop happening, so the Dr. put me on Zoloft I had bad!!! Side effects on Zoloft, so the Dr. switched me to Cymbalta I haven't had any bad panic attacks since I have been on the drug just maybe 2 or 3 since it's going on 1 year already, to make the long story short! I want off of this meds I have noooo feeling or emotion...only usually during my menestrual cycle and that's usually when my panic and anxiety erupts. Anyway, I want off this med's and back to the life that i use to have a fun life not having to worry when to take a pill, or if i'm gong to have a next panic attack. I only hope and pray to God. once off this drug I wont go back to myself when I had bad panic attacks! what do you think?? do you think once off this drug i will have them again?? Anyway, I want my life back basicly....... Cecile

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:04 AM

AWWW man!!!!! my problems keep on coming and coming and coming!!!!!!! Cymb. really messed up my body, Neck, back, and now!! My hips hurt!!! OK what next!!????????? Cymbalta!!!! you wont break me!!!!!!

#156 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:50 AM

Cecile

Why did you go on Cymbalta in the first place? For panic attacks?

Junior

#157 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

Cec,
I too am having tons of anxiety, and I have to take something for it. I do agree with
junior about having to see someone for them.

I know for myself I start to think about things, and how will I get through something,
and will have myself into a full blow Panic Attack.

Then I got on the Cymbalta, and as time they got worse for me, as it started to make
me into a person I didn't know, I couldn't leave the house, ect.

Now that I have been doing the decrease it has beeen even worse, but that's again
because I am always focusing on this subject all the time, it like becomes an obession.

I just hope that you can find someone to talk to,or a Anxiety Support Group to go to
so you can have others to talk to about it with. I know I love the two groups I go to,
and slowly they are helping me, slowly.

Debbie

#158 Cecile

Cecile

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

Yes, the Dr. put me on Cymb. for anxiety and panic attacks...witch i don't think they shouldn't have because i feel like Cymb. isn't right for me...It only screwed me up even worse than i was before....

I never though of a anxiety group before...I don't know if they would have then here..maybe they do i just don't know where to look or find a program like that here... I know they have abuse and AAA meetinghs here..

Today was horrible, i wanted to walk my dog out side but i couldn't even reach past the drive way!!! my hip and groind hurt soo bad i feel like it's out of place or somthing..then it made my back hurt then it made my neck hurt then! i though i was going to have a anxiety attack outside infront of everyone!!! I walked back inside and went to laydown, but that's all i have been doing!! all day! it boring i can't do anything!! So i just lay down 24/7 7days a week..I'm off work again I messed up my back and neck there pushing a 150lbs cart!!!! and i think Cymb. might have helped me because i was soo weak after getting off this stuff...Anyway i'm going to stop typing and lay down..

Cecile

#159 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:02 AM

Cecile

I'm sorry but I can't help you with your physical pain. Was it like that before going on Cymbalta?

With your anxiety and panic attacks, there are several drugs that can help but unfortunately there is no way of knowing what is and isn't right for an individual. The brain is incredibly complex and as you've found out, Drs don't have all the answers. Sometimes it is just trial and error.

Have you thought about seeing a psychologist? I really think it would be beneficial for you. They can teach you different ways of thinking and coping strategies for when you feel anxious. They can also help you to break the cycle that leads to panic attacks. They may not be able to stop you from having panic attacks altogether but should be able to greatly reduce them. The thing to remember, however, is that you have to do what they ask you to do. It means having 'homework'. It means being prepared to change the way you think.

I'm just going to type the headings and the very basics of what is under them, from my book on anxiety disorders. They refer to treating Panic Disorder with therapy:
1. Address physiology:
- psychoeducation
- learning calming techniques such as breathing and relaxation
- decreasing the frequency of onset of panic

2. Address cognitions [thoughts]:
- identifying unrecognised triggers
- minimising known cues and triggers through CBT {cognitive behavioural therapy} and other methods
- challenging distorted cognitions

3. Address Behaviour
- learning to tolerate or ignore physical sensations
- confronting previously avoided situations
- identifying and desensitising unrecognised triggers

Hopefully that wil give you an idea of what can be done. Sometimes drug therapy is helpful at the start of treatment to help calm you enough to be receptive to what I've described above but this would need to be discussed with a therapist.

What do you think?
Junior

#160 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:22 AM

Hi Cecile,

sorry to hear things are not getting better faster for you.

Please DO have a good look at Junior's list; if you are ever to get over the panic attacks without drugs, it will have to be you who does it - it's not going to be fixed by someone else - all they can do is help and guide you to self knowledge.

If your anxiety is not causing some of this pain, it's certainly going to be aggravating it.

I have to say the diclofenac (voltaren)(anti-inflammatory) I take works very well for me. It's not addictive, but like any drug, is not without its side effects for some, but the vast majority of people can take it without any major problems.

On any list of side effects are included things that affect less than one percent of people - do keep that in mind. It also depends what you're susceptible to.

When is your appointment with the neurologist?

Maureen.

#161 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

Cec,
I know this is all consuming at times. I have not been doing welll at all the past
several days, and blaming everything either on this drug or my PMS, what a way
to not live, and be happy.

That is not to discount you because I totallt understand your mind set right now.

Just hang in there, and know we won't be like this forever!

Love,
Debbie

#162 Cecile

Cecile

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

My neurologist hasn't called me to make a appointment, I will call them Monday morning!!!

cece

#163 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

cec,
Are you going to see the neuro for the neck pain? What were all the results of you test's?
I thought they were all negative, but that could have been someone else I read.

How's the anxiety today? I do feel a bit better, so far no tidal waves!

Love,
Debbie

#164 Cecile

Cecile

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:53 PM

No my resutls on my MRI were i have a buldge sticking out of my neck..and pinching my nerves..also, my lower back and groind hurt...I called my Dr.'s Nurse today and asked her whats was the deal?? why haven't they refferd me to my Neuro and they said they thought i was going to go to Santa Barbra for that and i said i'am but that appointment isn't untill Dec. and i want to see someone here now locally you know?? so she said ok and was gong to give them the refferal to day or tomorrow!!! I'm tired of waiting my back, neck, groind, (litteraly it feels like my right butt cheek it higher then the other!!) and my nerves are killing me!!! Man i hate these dr's!!!!!!!

Cecile

Debbie how are you doing on ur weaning off?? I'm almost to my 50days whithout Cymb..and tooo many problams now...

#165 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:19 AM

Hi cecile,

Not sure I've got this right:

You've mentioned before about a 'curve' - now you're saying it's a 'bulge'.

Did the MRI show both a curve AND a bulge, or are you using the words interchangeably?? They're two different things.

Let me know, Maureen.

#166 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:34 PM

Hi Cec,
That really stinks that they were even sending you so far from where you live, plus
your having to wait until Dec to see the Neuro.

I will tell you this, I also have a screwed up neck, but I would never in my life even
consider the type of surgery that is required to fix it. It is know as a "Fusion", and
once that is done, you no longer can move your neck.

The best treatment is physical therapy, and that's the other thing I don't understand
is why your doc didn't order that for you? Are you taking the Flexeril? Is it helping?
It is not for pain, it's a muscle relaxer, so just curious?

I am better today, but still shaking.

Thanks for asking about me.

Love,
Debbie

#167 haleyanne

haleyanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:
    I successfully stopped using Cymbalta following the It Worked section.

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

Cecile~ Do you think this strictly is the Cymbalta withdrawal that is causing you so many problems? I've been reading more of your previous posts and what's going on with you sounds awful. I wish you the best.

#168 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

Good for you, then why did you even come to such a form?

Debbie

#169 haleyanne

haleyanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

Best of luck to all.

#170 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

You can skip all this weaning. It worked for me. Have your dr. prescribe Prozac 20 mg. Replace whatever dosage of Cymbalta you are on. Yes, no more Cymbalta. I stopped 60 mg. of Cymbalta. I took the Prozac for 4 days (just in case, I heard you can only do it for 2 days). It's been 2 1/2 weeks without Cymbalta or Prozac. I had no withdrawal whatsoever. It works!!!!!!!!!!!

haleyanne,
This is why I asked you that question. It was just the way you put it.
Your coming to a place where people have been trying to get off this
stuff for a very long time, and by just saying to "stop all this weaning"
"replace whatever dosage of Cymbalta you are on"

Those kinds of statements can be very harmful, as we all know you
never quit any medication "cold turkey" to begin with, and that's
just what you have done.

Also you said to replace the dose of Cymbalta with Prozac, well some
people are on 120 mg, and you can't take that much Prozac.

What I am trying to say is that having the correct information is very
vital, and all that has been posted here, and followed by 99% of us is
to wean off this medication at a very slow taper.

You just happen to be one that didn't have anything happen to you, please
read lots of others posts, and hear what they are going through, even on the
Prozac!

Everyone is different, so what works for one will not always work for another.
Onething I can say is that if it were not for the people here, and what they
had been through, how they got off this stuff I just never would of found my
way back to even this level.

Please keep us posted on how your doing.

Debbie

#171 haleyanne

haleyanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

Didn't mean to offend Debbie. I've heard of it working for other people too and wanted to share. I didn't realize that this wasn't an open forum to share what has worked for me and others. Hopefully, someone else will find this information useful. I realize that depression and meds. are different for everyone and wouldn't suggest that others struggles aren't real.

#172 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

Didn't mean to offend Debbie. I've heard of it working for other people too and wanted to share. I didn't realize that this wasn't an open forum to share what has worked for me and others. Hopefully, someone else will find this information useful. I realize that depression and meds. are different for everyone and wouldn't suggest that others struggles aren't real.

haleyanne,
This is an open form, but for as long as I have been here, and doing the research, I have
never found what you stated to be true. That is why I said we must be careful in what
we do post as some new could read something like that, and do it, and it is not a right
thing at all to do, that is COLD TURKEY! Again, even the box tells you not to do that, I
even question you doctor for his even doing that to you.

If you have a web site to back up your information then by all means put it up on the
board so that a person can look the information up for themselves. Your also coming
to a place where people know the best way to get off this drug, and saying, don't do
it that way, do it myway it works. That's also kinda messed up to do. I mean I am so
happy you didn't have to go through what all of us are, but that is not useful information
for anyone.

YOU CAN"T GO COLD TURKEY OFF THIS MED, OR ANYOTHER ANTIDEPRESSANT!
That's the only point I am trying to make.
Why mess with a good thing?
Debbie

#173 haleyanne

haleyanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

I would like to elaborate...I took Cymbalta for depression and anxiety. The side effects outweighed any benefits I may have gotten from taking it. This is the only medication I was on. I felt that I was ready to try facing my life without a drug. I have read other posts where people are on several other medications to treat depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues. It is possible to stop taking Cymbalta. My doctor and pharmacist okay'd the switch from 60 mg. of Cymbalta to 20 mg. of Prozac. Now, to say this doesn't work is purely untrue. I don't think it's fair to be so hell-bent against this way of quitting Cymbalta. It only brought me positives and considering the array of withdrawal symptoms, I would hope another person would have a chance to read this with an open mind and be given the chance to evaluate if this could possibly work for them.

#174 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:25 PM

haleyanne,
I really don't know whaat kind of doctor or pharm you go to, but I have
been a nurse for over 30 years, and know enough about meds. So that
worked for you!

One can't stop this cold turkey, we have seen seizures, and much more
for people doing so. Other's have just suffered so severly. Some have
done the Prozac thing, it did not work. We just try to give out informa
tion that is really based on facts, and not just on a couple of people.

It just like you come in here, and trash all the great work that these
people have done to help us, and say no do it my way. I do get
what your saying too, that maybe your way could help someone, but
again we have been taught from the start never to go cold turkey.
Do, and say what ever you want, I am sure I am not alone in my
feelings.

Debbie

#175 habaneroo

habaneroo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • why_joining:
    i want to help my wife get of cymbalta

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

my wife has been on cymbalta for 3 years,and to make a long story short she asked the doctor to help her get rid of cymbalta.And he said he knew about cymbalta withdrawal and the problems with it. And he said absolutely not go from cymbalta to wellbutrin,like many others have done.

And he told her to stop taking her 60mg cymbalta right away and the same day start taking 20mg of prozac.

Im not saying its the best way,or even a good way to do it. Im just telling you what he did. My wife is on day 6 now,and she has never experienced anything this bad. even though she takes diazepam,and couple of other stuff she still can hardly stand the anxiety.

i tried to get her to tapper slow,but before she started this we talked about it and she said she rather have a hell of a week or month. Rather than being on cymbalta for 6 months more,and suffer a long time.

Maybe its works for her,but im sure she wouldnt make it without all the sedatives she takes to handle the anxiety.

#176 haleyanne

haleyanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

Habanero- I'm sorry to hear that your wife is suffering with such terrible anxiety. It is a hard thing to deal with. I hope that the 20 mg. of Prozac may be helping to alleviate the flu-like symptoms of headache, muscle aches, and nausea. Also, the dizziness and zaps and swishing. Best of luck getting through it with her. I admire you for your support.

#177 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

You can skip all this weaning. It worked for me. Have your dr. prescribe Prozac 20 mg. Replace whatever dosage of Cymbalta you are on. Yes, no more Cymbalta. I stopped 60 mg. of Cymbalta. I took the Prozac for 4 days (just in case, I heard you can only do it for 2 days). It's been 2 1/2 weeks without Cymbalta or Prozac. I had no withdrawal whatsoever. It works!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Haleyanne

I'm glad you were able to get off Cymbalta so easily but you need to realise that it doesn't happen that way for everyone. We are all 'wired' a little differently. We all respond to various drugs a little differently. As the old saying goes, "one man's medicine is another man's poison".

Some people here have had a VERY difficult time getting off Cymbalta, hence the need to wean very slowly.

I seem to be able to do this more easily too. I was on Aropax (Paxil) for many years and if I occasionally missed one, never noticed anything. But some people go through major withdrawal symptoms from just one missed dose. These are generally the ones who have to wean very slowly.

I'd also be cautious in saying that everything is ok for you. I hope it is.. but I've read too many stories of people thinking everything is ok, only to suffer major withdrawal problems several months down the track. I hope you are not one of them but just thought I should warn you.

Kind regards
Junior

#178 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

Haleyanne,

we appreciate you sharing your information, and you may not realize you got us all a bit 'offside' with the way you presented your information.

You started your first post on this thread with 'you can skip all this weaning ...'

huh?

I'm guessing that if you had your time over again you might phrase that differently. :))

Maureen.

#179 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:34 PM

p.s. I also posted a reply to you comment that the capsules are time release.

For those who didn't see that thread haleyann's doctor and pharmacist have said the CAPSULES are time release.

The are NOT time release. The capsule dissolves the minute it reaches your stomach.

The BEADS are time release, which completely turns on it's head the notion that it's 'dangerous' to open and split the contents.

Maureen.

#180 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Maureene,
Thanks again, I was very upset with this person's claim, and mis information too.
Glad that you caught some otherr things as well.

Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users