#31 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:10 AM

The skin condition usually itches like all get out. If so many of our members have had good luck with diaper cream.

#32 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

The skin condition usually itches like all get out. If so many of our members have had good luck with diaper cream.

It's not itchy. Just dry. 

I have so much sympathy for lab rats now. I'm angry and I feel so sorry for my poor body having to go through this.

#33 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:56 AM

No harm in venting - and your doc's office sounds like all I have known! 

I would hope that the tingling won't continue for quite as long as the three months - I'd say that is worst case scenario. Regarding skin condition, obviously difficult to say, but also common during withdrawals if you were to search for Cymbalta users experience, but from what they said to you, I sure would be very annoyed for them to make an assumption about my personal hygiene!!

If I didn't feel like I was bugging my psychiatrist, I'd ask if the rash is a symptom of withdrawal or unrelated. It's hard to be my own advocate when I get the impression I'm a nuisance and when I'm uncomfortable physically in the first place.

#34 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:11 PM

"I feel so sorry for my poor body having to go through this."

That is one of the biggest worries. It is not a shadow on some of the other members here, but I have not had a day with physical symptoms in 7 months.

#35 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:46 PM

"I feel so sorry for my poor body having to go through this."

That is one of the biggest worries. It is not a shadow on some of the other members here, but I have not had a day with physical symptoms in 7 months.

It's the worst. Before this stupid foot tingling thing, I was only having symptoms mostly in the morning about 30 min before taking the pill and maybe for 1 hour after. At least it's not like the last time I tried going off Cymbalta (going from 20 mg to nothing) when it was all day long. I don't know if because this time I'm using Effexor to wean off if that's why it's not all day long or if it's because I'm going slower. Probably the latter.

What mg are you at now?

#36 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

I finished Cymbalta taper back in November, then went to Lexapro and now switching to Celexa. My head is screwed thanks to the idiot doctors.

But I went cold turkey 10mg to 0mg. Worst thing ever. My seizures have only recently stopped....

#37 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:59 PM

I finished Cymbalta taper back in November, then went to Lexapro and now switching to Celexa. My head is screwed thanks to the idiot doctors.

But I went cold turkey 10mg to 0mg. Worst thing ever. My seizures have only recently stopped....

That sucks. I'm sorry. Seizures? Oh my goodness. And that just means more medications, I assume. Ugh.

#38 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:02 AM

My doctor hasn't even told me the side effects of an Effexor withdrawal (have emailed to ask for a list and haven't gotten yet), so basically I'm just going off what I've found on the internet, which hasn't been super helpful. Just not a lot of quality info out there. I feel like chopping off my left foot (not literally, don't worry!). The tingling is so bad. I hate it. I hope it goes away soon.

Today I cried in the morning for the dumbest reason. I'm not used to being so emotional, and I don't like it. I wonder if even once I'm finished the taper if I'll ever feel normal.

#39 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

No medication for the seizures - it is all part of withdrawal. The only way around would have been to go back on the Cymbalta.

Being over emotional is another classic symptom. Your brain is being deprived of the instruction it once had to guide it through emotions. It needs to learn all over again. It will pass.

#40 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:07 AM

I found two medical research articles that address withdrawal symptoms from Effexor I thought you might want to read. I must say that I am not impressed with them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC1681629/
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2773524/

#41 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:12 PM

I found two medical research articles that address withdrawal symptoms from Effexor I thought you might want to read. I must say that I am not impressed with them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC1681629/
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2773524/

Thank you, Fishing Hat. This is the one article I found from a reputable source that listed any symptoms of Effexor withdrawal. I don't mean to be one of those people with a tin foil hat on who shouts about the conspiracies of Big Pharma, but it's really hard not to go there when we know they've downplayed how bad these withdrawals are and when there's a complete dearth of information out there. I feel like I'm going crazy paying attention to every abnormality, every slight variance in my body, wondering if it's Effexor withdrawal or something totally unrelated. I have a lot of compassion for myself believing that I had diabetes. How was I to know otherwise when my doctor never warned me and there's almost zero information out there? I don't mean to get on a soapbox here, but this makes me so angry. All of it. Antidepressants have saved and probably severely altered my life in a not so great way. I am heartened and so sad that there are countless others out there like me and you suffering. I wish that part of me at 16 years old (God, I was a baby!) that said going on medication was a bad idea had listened to my gut. Maybe I'd be better functioning now.

Sorry I'm being so long winded. It's so much to process--emotionally, mentally, and physically-- and I am inexplicably grateful that you and others are here to listen.

#42 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:14 PM

No medication for the seizures - it is all part of withdrawal. The only way around would have been to go back on the Cymbalta.

Being over emotional is another classic symptom. Your brain is being deprived of the instruction it once had to guide it through emotions. It needs to learn all over again. It will pass.

I wish you the best. I'm sos sorry you're suffering this way. It's not fair.

Yes, I was an emotional child, and returning to that state after decades on antidepressants is really strange. In some ways I feel like I'm reverting. I thought I was growing up and maturing when I cried less, felt less bowled over by the world emotionally. And to have it return is hard. Like having to relearn walking or something. 

#43 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

It feels exactly like that, and no, not fair in the slightest. I have been confined to bed all day due to onset of dizziness, blurred vision and intense fog. I haven't be able to do anything for 8 hours but lay and succumb to the mercy of my thoughts. 

#44 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

My darling Scrat, what a shit!
Sending prayers your way, love, Gail

#45 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Gailage - I have just PM'ed in desperation... sorry :( 

#46 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

My feet actually didn't bother me much today, and I didn't have any other symptoms. I have just felt strange this afternoon in a way that I can't describe. I'm not in a fog, nor tired, nor sad, nor anxious. My brain feels viscous and dim is the best I can describe it.

Has this happened to anyone else? I know that I'm weaning off Effexor (switched from Cymbalta to Effexor to taper), but I wonder if anyone around here had felt something similar while weaning off Cymbalta.

#47 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:23 AM

Oh yea. I had this type of feeling several times after my last dose. I wasn't in a fog but my brain just wouldn't function.

#48 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:44 PM

Oh yea. I had this type of feeling several times after my last dose. I wasn't in a fog but my brain just wouldn't function.

It's better than the brain whooshes, I guess, but it's still weird. Did it just go away eventually?

I had an intake yesterday with a new therapist and had to do a cognitive function test. I was thinking, "Oh f**k" when they asked me to count backward from 90 by subtracting 7. It was so hard to focus.

#49 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:29 PM

It came and went in spells for several weeks and during a couple relapses as well but eventually subsided.

#50 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

The tingling in my feet and hands has gotten less frequent for the time being, so I'm really thankful for that. The weird feeling in my head has persisted the last few days. Not that I preferred brain whooshes, but at least it was more familiar. This isn't as uncomfortable, but I'm still having a hard time accepting that my body and mind are often going to feel "off" or even terrible while I taper off this med. I'm already tired of this stupid withdrawal, and I have until August, if everything goes okay (which, I feel very pessimistic about, and ashamed that I'm not more positive). I'm just tired of analyzing each sensation in my body, each alteration in mood and wondering if it's withdrawal related. I hate being this focused on my body and my mood.

#51 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:57 AM

I would recommend not to set a goal date like August. It is better to just realize it will be over when it is over. Setting a time goal puts to much pressure on you to meet that goal and tends to force once to wean when it would probably be better to stabilize first.

#52 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:59 PM

I would recommend not to set a goal date like August. It is better to just realize it will be over when it is over. Setting a time goal puts to much pressure on you to meet that goal and tends to force once to wean when it would probably be better to stabilize first.

Oh that's just the increments that my dr. chose for tapering down. This month 12 mg. Next month 9. July will 6 mg and August 3 mg. Then hopefully done, but maybe not. Definitely take your point that I may need a little longer at any dosage and that's ok. Doesn't mean I've failed.

#53 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:04 PM

Hat couldn't be more on the money there. Sage words.

I am exactly the same with symptoms. I NEED to know where they came from, what causes them, when it will end... it is all part of the package.

You, like me, want to be in control. It is so difficult just to let it sit back and let it do its thing. This is why I am now getting more serious with my practicing of mindfulness as my mind is a 24/7 wanderer/worrier. 

#54 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:03 PM

Hat couldn't be more on the money there. Sage words.

I am exactly the same with symptoms. I NEED to know where they came from, what causes them, when it will end... it is all part of the package.

You, like me, want to be in control. It is so difficult just to let it sit back and let it do its thing. This is why I am now getting more serious with my practicing of mindfulness as my mind is a 24/7 wanderer/worrier. 

Mindfulness is super helpful. I try to meditate every day. If you're interested, there's also this website about self-compassion that I've found helpful. It has guided meditations : https://self-compass...ded-meditations

#55 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

I have this strange feeling in my mouth and head today like I really need to eat red meat, but I'm not even hungry. Sort of a metallic taste in my mouth and this indescribable feeling in my head. Makes me want to chew on my cheek to make the sensation stop. 

#56 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the link... Kristin Neff was recommended during on e of CBT sessions months ago - I had forgotten.

Strangely enough, metallic taste is quite common believe it or not! 

#57 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

I counted this morning, and I only have five days left at 12 mg. Next I'm at 9 mg. I'm scared of things getting worse.

My psychiatrist has pawned a lot of my questions and concerns off onto his office manager. I'm thinking of finding a new psychiatrist who can be more available/supportive, but I don't know how many psychiatrists out there are supportive of weaning off meds. Worth looking into, though. I think I'll do that this morning.

#58 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

Instead of going from 12 mg to 9 mg why not go down to 11 mg and wean a little slower?

#59 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:36 PM

Exactly my thoughts!

#60 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

Instead of going from 12 mg to 9 mg why not go down to 11 mg and wean a little slower?

Compound pharmacy already sent 9 mg/that's what my doctor prescribed. Plus I'm on a tight budget, so more months of compound pharmacy= more expense. If it's too hard on 9 mg, I'll see if I can get in touch with my doctor and ask if I can go slower, just eating up the extra expense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users