1191 replies to this topic

#361 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:31 PM

I enjoyed the first brewery! We sat in the sun and ate pizza and I had a nice beer and I was so happy to even be there at all. We went to the second brewery after the museum and by then I was pretty tuckered but I wanted to try to make the most of the day knowing that the next day or even week might not be so good. For a few months I didn't drink at all, now I'll treat myself to a low ABV beer if I manage to get out to a restaurant or something, or a little wine on a special occasion. It's very possible that it increases my anxiety the following day, but the day of it actually seems to be more relaxing than anything. It definitely makes me less tense and I feel happier. On the flip side because I didn't drink for so long, my tolerance is trash! I'm pretty seriously buzzed after a 5% beer lol. 

Sorry to hear about your injuries and having to sit out the race. That's seriously impressive that you were even about to do it! I think the idea of participating in a race or any competition really would make my adrenaline skyrocket. Do you think the lack of exercise is what's causing the extra adrenaline? Exercise helps bring adrenaline levels down so now that you're down for the count your levels are probably staying a little higher. 

In any case I'm sorry to hear you're in a wave right now because I'm using you as a benchmark for what recovery really looks like! No pressure lol! I'm eagerly awaiting your upturn, though I'm sure not as much as you are. 

IUN sorry to hear this noise is giving you so much stress. How annoying. Not the same, but we live on a busy street and our living and bedrooms are streetside. I've gotten used to the street noise for the most part but the motorcycles (and there are sooooo many) drive me insane and I sleep with ear plugs in every night. We've also had a stressful situation with one of our neighbors regarding the parking situation in our building. I get very stressed by the possibility of a confrontation and this was definitely one of those situations. Luckily I have my husband who's more than willing to handle it, but the whole thing still makes my blood boil! 

#362 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:37 PM

Frog
"our brains are still very trigger happy with that switch "

A great discription.

"My heart has been beating hard and irregularly. "

Has this just started since being on the trazadone? It can cause this type of symptoms and is something you may want to check with your dr on.

#363 Mxpro32

Mxpro32

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:29 PM

I've been on the 50mg trazadone for a couple months

#364 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:31 PM

Frog - worth noting that studies show that our ears still "hear" the same way with stress as when awake. This is why I am dreaming about building work as well.... bloody nightmare...

Worth a read;

https://www.science....noise-pollution

#365 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:17 AM

Trazadone is an old style tricyclic antidepressant and they all have a history of unwanted effects on the hearts performance. I would suggest you contact your dr for an ekg.

#366 Mxpro32

Mxpro32

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:15 AM

Like it could have damaged my heart?

#367 Mxpro32

Mxpro32

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:21 AM

It's not beating any harder or more irregular than it was before the trazadone when I was having the severe anxiety. Then and now, stress causes it to start pounding harder, with occasional skipped beats.

#368 Mxpro32

Mxpro32

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

Man, my body has just been vibrating and buzzing with anxiety when I wake up for 4 or 5 days now. Really annoying. That symptom has been gone a month before this. Anyone else have symptoms return a month after being gone?

#369 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

"Then and now, stress causes it to start pounding harder, with occasional skipped beats."

Ahhh, that is a relief. I was afraid it started with the trazadone which can (but rarely) have effects on the heart. The development of skip beats are very common with severe stress. Those skipped beats are actually called PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) and will subside with the anxiety.

I remember several cases like this among members exposed to high episodes of stress or heavy exposure to caffeine, solvents, or other central nervous system stimulants or depressants. Been doing a lot of painting lately? lol

#370 Mxpro32

Mxpro32

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:55 AM

I can't think of any exposure to anything. I do know alcohol gives me a profound anxiety reaction.

#371 Mxpro32

Mxpro32

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:05 PM

I've been trying to research coming off of my concerta (Ritalin) in case that is contributing to my sleeplessness and anxiety, and I can't find any medical sites, they are all addiction recovery center websites. Is the medical community completely opposed to helping patients STOP taking medication? What gives?

#372 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:24 PM

They are busy looking for cures to diseases (that is where the research funding is) and not cures to side effects or withdrawals

I think I have something in  my library on Ritalin withdrawal. I will check.

A lot of info on Ritalin but nothing on withdrawal. I will check the medical journals.

#373 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:19 PM

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/27926589
Dystonia in Methylphenidate Withdrawal: A Case Report.
Few studies have described movement disorders as withdrawal symptoms during psychostimulant detoxification. Although dystonia has been reported as an uncommon adverse effect of methylphenidate treatment, it has not been described in the context of methylphenidate withdrawal. We report a case of dystonia as the main withdrawal symptom in a methylphenidate-dependent adult participating in an inpatient methylphenidate detoxification program. Although movement disorders such as dystonia are very rare adverse effects of methylphenidate withdrawal, practitioners need to be alert to this risk in order to initiate appropriate treatment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5896529/
Stimulant (Ritalin) Withdrawal in a Child with Autism Spectrum Disorder and ADHD - A Case Report
Full article

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26132330
Painful Muscle Cramps Possibly Associated with Withdrawal from Methylphenidate.
No summary available.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/20832433
Withdrawal from methylphenidate increases neural reactivity of dorsal midbrain.
Our results provide new findings about the influence of MP treatment in adult rats, showing that, after a sudden MP treatment-break, increased anxiety, associated with the neural sensitization of anxiety-related regions, ensues.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25323763
An N-of-1 trial as an individualized withdrawal treatment approach to psychological methylphenidate dependence.
A partial text is available a this site.
https://www.karger.c...Abstract/365094

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15127013
Stuttering priapism associated with withdrawal from sustained-release methylphenidate.
Stuttering priapism is intermittent, prolonged, painful, pathologic erections with intervening periods of detumescence. An adolescent had stuttering priapism associated with withdrawal from sustained-release methylphenidate. To our knowledge, this is the first such report of stuttering priapism associated with stimulant drugs for treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16139732
Dopamine transporter in attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder normalizes after cessation of methylphenidate.
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a common neurodevelopmental disorder of childhood, which is frequently treated with methylphenidate. The short-term response to treatment with methylphenidate is a substantial decrease in dopamine transporter density, with improvement in neuropsychological tests. In this study, single-photon emission computed tomography was used to investigate possible long-term alterations in the cerebral dopamine system after cessation of treatment with methylphenidate in five children with ADHD. Three months after initiation of treatment with methylphenidate, a reduction of the dopamine transporter in the striatal system was observed. Methylphenidate was administered for a period of 9 to 20 months. Follow-up with single-photon emission computed tomography after withdrawal of methylphenidate medication disclosed an increase of dopamine transporter activity comparable with pretreatment values. The observed upregulation of dopamine transporter activity might support the assumption that methylphenidate does not lead to permanent damage of the nigrostriatal dopaminergic pathways.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/10103294
Stimulant medication withdrawal during long-term therapy in children with comorbid attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and chronic multiple tic disorder.
Abrupt withdrawal of stimulant medication in children receiving long-term maintenance therapy does not appear to result in worsening of tic frequency or severity. Nevertheless, these findings do not preclude the possibility of drug withdrawal reactions in susceptible individuals.

http://jnm.snmjourna...43/12/1624.long
Effects of Methylphenidate Discontinuation on Cerebral Blood Flow in Prepubescent Boys with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Brief discontinuation of MPH treatment is associated with increased motor and anterior cingulate cortical activity. Our findings suggest that MPH treatment modulates motor and anterior cingulate cortical activity directly or indirectly. Alternatively, our findings may be related to MPH withdrawal. These data provide novel information on the potential mechanisms of the therapeutic action of MPH. Furthermore, they are clinically relevant to the commonly occurring brief interruptions in MPH treatment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...cles/PMC181133/
The clinical picture of stimulant intoxication produces a wide array of symptoms including schizophrenic symptoms, manic-like states, psychoses, depressions (especially during withdrawal), and various types of anxiety conditions including panic states.

https://www.liebertp...9/cap.2019.0147
Methylphenidate on Strengths and Difficulties, Quality of Life and Parenting Stress
Ninety-four children and adolescents aged 8 to 18 years who had used methylphenidate for over 2 years were randomly assigned to double-blind continuation of treatment for 7 weeks (36 or 54 mg extended release methylphenidate) or to gradual withdrawal over 3 to 4 weeks placebo.

https://ajp.psychiat...p.2019.18111296
Continued Benefits of Methylphenidate in ADHD After 2 Years in Clinical Practice: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Discontinuation Study
Ninety-four children and adolescents (ages 8–18 years) who had been treated in regular care with methylphenidate for more than 2 years were randomly assigned to double-blind continuation of treatment for 7 weeks (36 or 54 mg/day of extended-release methylphenidate) or gradual withdrawal over 3 weeks, to 4 weeks of placebo.

https://www.aap.org/...te-Ritalin.aspx
Discontinuing Methylphenidate and Possible Withdrawal Adverse Effects
⦁ For most patients, particularly those receiving extended-release (ER) preparations at recommended dosages, methylphenidate can be discontinued abruptly.
⦁ To minimize withdrawal adverse effects, particularly for patients receiving high doses, staggered discontinuation of methylphenidate over a few days to weeks is recommended.
⦁ Potential withdrawal adverse effects include anxiety, irritability, insomnia, and increased blood pressure.​​

#374 Mxpro32

Mxpro32

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:47 PM

Thanks. I tried not taking it today to see if it helped with the anxiety. Anxiety was still there but I was getting pretty depressed so I took it at noon and the depression got better. Might have more trouble sleeping tonight but so be it. I think I'm going to stay on this dose a while and not rush things since it didn't help with the anxiety anyway. Looks like I'm going to have to just ride out this anxiety resurgence. It's not even really anxiety, it feels like an adrenaline dump again.

#375 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:00 AM

One step at a time.

#376 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:40 PM

Man, my body has just been vibrating and buzzing with anxiety when I wake up for 4 or 5 days now. Really annoying. That symptom has been gone a month before this. Anyone else have symptoms return a month after being gone?

Most of my symptoms haven't gone away for good yet, but it's been a few weeks at least since I've woken up feeling really irritable and angry for no reason. And the past two mornings it's come back. So yeah I think all things ebb and flow to some extent. I hate the irritability. It makes me lash out at my husband even though he's just an innocent bystander and I feel so terrible about it. And now I also feel like crying, which also had gone away for several weeks. 

#377 Mxpro32

Mxpro32

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

It definitely seems like you are improving by the tone of your posts. There isn't desperation in them anymore, and I can tell you are seeing the big picture of progress clearer, even in your down times. I can already feel my mood shifting the other way. I'm starting to focus on the people around me and connecting with them on a real level. I'm not sure if the mood improved and then I start having all these healthier thoughts, or if the healthier thoughts improve my mood. I'm fortunate that irritability toward my wife hasn't been an issue for me. Customers can really set me off inside, and I'm pretty good at beating myself, but my wife has been spared for the most part. Mostly because I'm terrified of making this even harder on her and our marriage.

#378 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:37 PM

Thank you so much for the kind words Mxpro. It's often very hard to see things clearly the way someone from the outside can. My therapist also said this week that from her perspective as an objective viewer, she feels like there have definitely been positive shifts in my demeanor and the way I talk about things. 

I'm so glad to hear that you're on the up and up. It's funny but we do kind of seem to be on opposite "schedules" recently. As for the mood vs healthier thoughts, I honestly think they literally just happen simultaneously. I think the better mood indicates a better balance in the brain, and that balance is what allows us to focus more outwardly instead of being stuck inwardly. Brains... It does stink though that to that end, there's not a whole lot you can do about it but ride the waves and enjoy and appreciate feeling good when it comes. 

Also just to clarify, I'm not too harsh on my husband specifically. A lot of my frustration ends up directed at annoyances like how small our apartment is, or how much clutter there is or how it needs cleaning, some of which is very much my own neglected responsibilities due to the withdrawal, but I think it ends up feeling like it's my husband's fault. 

#379 Mxpro32

Mxpro32

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

I know. I hope it didn't come across as me thinking you were treating him bad. I was more commenting on my own lack of worth and feeling I can't be a burden to anyone. I've tried to do more chores around the house to hopefully offset how difficult I must be to deal with.

#380 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

I'm sure you're not as difficult as you think you are :) And most importantly it's not your fault that you're going through this. I'm sure your wife understands that. I bet she appreciates the help around the house but I don't think you should feel like you're a burden if you're unable to help now. As my husband says, he doesn't mind supporting me through this and letting me lean on him more, because a day might come when the roles are reversed and he knows I would do the same for him!

#381 Lovey

Lovey

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationU.S.
  • why_joining:
    Trying to get off of this poisonous drug. Need support and help!Down from 120mg to 7mg.
    Am currently taking 18 beads 2x per day. A split dose method. 4 am and 4 pm. Pausing to stabilize.

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:49 PM

Having a hard night. Sad, lonely. Alone. Mind is busy. Trying to relax. Ears ringing badly. Very dizzy today. Rested all day yesterday and today. will work tomorrow. Please pray for me.

#382 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:32 AM

Sorry H - you were too late for me  - was already in la-la land when you wrote.

Prayers are with you.... and wishing you an improved Friday...

#383 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:49 AM

Hello Lovey,

So sorry that you're going through a rough time that will gradually pass.

Be assured of my prayers, may God hold your right hand.

Any meds you can take to calm you? We are with you in those time of suffering, you are not alone, God is holding you. Chamomile tea? A benzo? A hot bath? A heating pad to soothe you, do what needs to be done. Come back any time! Love.

#384 Lovey

Lovey

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationU.S.
  • why_joining:
    Trying to get off of this poisonous drug. Need support and help!Down from 120mg to 7mg.
    Am currently taking 18 beads 2x per day. A split dose method. 4 am and 4 pm. Pausing to stabilize.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:29 AM

Hi friends, thx for checking in. At least the sun is out today and the sky is very blue and pretty.

Its an enormous task for the brain to rewire after 30 years of meds. I'm not totally off but on pretty low doses now after years of repressed brain connections from higher doses. I know that this will be taking a while to accomplish balance and a sustained feeling of well-being. After the Ketamine treatments, I am no longer clinically depressed, and now I am weaning from heavier meds. I've come a very long way. I am finding many many memories surfacing, along with very strong, deep feelings which were being masked by meds. Organizing and managing this is akin to an overgrown garden of 30 years. Xo love you all. Gail, i did and do take xanax to aid and hot baths are a very enjoyable part of my nightly routine. Thx for the suggestions. have a good one everyone.

#385 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:13 PM

I know exactly what you mean about the brain connections. Still on Citalopram and my homeopath is begging me to reduce, but after nearly 15 years, it scares the crap out of me....

"I know that this will be taking a while to accomplish balance and a sustained feeling of well-being."

Absolutely spot on. The well-being is there, but the sustaining of it takes courage and patience. But it will come. I am also no longer suffering anything like where I was, but we all have to remember that none of us were happy and stable 100% of the time even when we weren't well.

Striving for perfection will only end in disappointment. One of the life's best-learnt ironies. 

#386 Lovey

Lovey

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationU.S.
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:46 PM

Ahh yes Daniel-son! A very good lesson about perfectionism!

I am fighting off a virus, it turns out which accounts for a lot of my feeling so poorly past few days. A good news/bad news scenario. Lots of stuff going around right now. Early to bed again for this gal.

#387 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:58 PM

Sleep well sausage... we'll be here for you when you wake up :)

#388 Lovey

Lovey

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationU.S.
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:33 PM

Awwww haha nobody's ever called me sausage before, that's adorable! I call people and beloved dogs by food names too.

#389 Lovey

Lovey

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationU.S.
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:01 PM

Had a decent day. Still sick. Another early bedtime I am kind of loving the extra pampering to be honest! Night night.

#390 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:27 AM

Out of likes Lovey, happy that you had a good day. They will come and go, appreciate them to the fullest. Love!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users