#61 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

Hi Pol...

Let me relieve Hat for this one... Respiratory acidosis CAN be a serious condition, but only when there is an underlying condition causing it, such as a blockage preventing the oxygen conversion in the lungs, or sometimes an abnormality in the blood.

However, the symptoms can also occur from not breathing correctly and so forth, which is why you have the symptoms. So it is kind of like having a severely bruised foot... which feels like it is broken, and therefore you are walking in such a way as to compensate the injury.. but whilst you are doing this, it can seem as though it is broken.

You are doing the same here with the acidosis. Does that make sense?

Hat - please correct me if this is too tangential.

IUN 

#62 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:25 AM

... that is not to say there isn't an underlying condition, but I very sincerely doubt that.

With all your stomach stuff going on, this is acting like the pain in the foot metaphor which is causing you to compensate. Your stomach (foot) is in pain, so you reduce your breathing (change how you walk) to suit. 

This is how it seems to me - and for my best judgement, if there was an underlying cause, it would be there more frequently and would have shown up by means of some of the other symptoms that Hat has mentioned. Sure, it would be exacerbated by anxiety, but again, I do not think you have cause for concern in this respect. 

#63 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

Thanks IUN. I was feeling pretty scared after FH's reply a d that has fuelled my anxiety - so a vicious circle for me🙄.

Would it help to take alkaline drops to neutralise the acid in my body? Go I hate all this😥.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Polly

#64 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:46 AM

Hat might need to correct me on this one, but from what I understand this will not provide a solution. It is about raising the levels of CO2 to restore the balance through breathing (in your case). I don't think drops will assist due to the means of administration. 

#65 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:46 PM

Absolutely right on IUN.

The occurrence of respiratory acidosis is a common one during most any withdrawals. You need to realize that this is due to the pH (acidity) of your blood and not the stomach. IUN is correct this relates to CO2 and carbonates in your system. The comment on the acid diet is because many acidic food and drinks use carbonic acid to acidify the food/drink. Carbonic acid is absorbed through the stomach into the blood which further acidifies the blood. I will tell you how effective this is... In high school it use to be common for teams to buy the opposing teams before the track meet started. The team drinking the soda pop was almost always the loser due to acidosis reducing oxygen uptake. Carbonic acid, carbonates, and carboxylic acids all generate carbon dioxide which compete with oxygen in the blood. The more CO2 the less oxygen your blood will carry. These compounds also lower the pH (acidity) of the blood and the lower the pH the less oxygen the hemoglobin will carry.

You can mention this to your dr but I am afraid he will not understand about the link to withdrawal and start checking you for pulmonary blockage, lung cancer, iron deficiency, blood gas levels and such. If he/she is the kind to listen then maybe it would be OK.
As to how long it will last? It will last until your anxiety starts to fade.

#66 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:06 PM

Thanks FH, that explains it well. Any idea how long the anxiety phase lasts? Or is it impossible to put a time on it?

Thanks again.

Polly

#67 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

How I wish there was an answer to that question....

#68 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

2 weeks to 1 1/2 years after your last dose but normally 6 to 8 months after your last dose. Just a note. It does not slowly fade away. It disappears for a few hours and then comes back just as strong. Each good event lasts a little longer each time and each bad episode lasts a little less. A real rollercoaster.

#69 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:42 PM

Thanks FH. Really wish I hadn't asked. I can't cope with this for that long!

#70 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:44 PM

Or another way 39 weeks +/- 95%

Care to add a confidence interval, Hat? :D

#71 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

I would say it is a bell curve with about a alpha 5% cl.

The thing is Polly that the anxiety doesn't have to go away completely. It just has to subside enough to where you breath more normally. Usually around 6 to 8 weeks but it varies.

#72 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

So glad I can talk stats with someone else this evening...!

Sorry for hijack Pol :)

#73 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:59 PM

You've both lost me on the stats!🤷‍♂️. I just want to get rid of the shortness of breath as it's very scary! I can cope with some anxiety.

Have you come across ma y people who's breathing has been affected by this?

#74 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:33 PM

I would say 20 or 30 but it is always temporary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users