• Please log in to reply
845 replies to this topic

#151 piratee

piratee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

i am so glad i found this site. i had no idea why i felt so horrible.
i was on cymbalta 60mg for about 6 or so weeks and i am extremely pissed off with my doctor and pharmacist for the lack of information i was given, not to mention i am only 17, and after reading all these forums about the effects cymbalta has had on people it suprises me that my doctor was so willing to prescribe it to a 17 year old.

side effects i had on it included;
nausea (not just the first couple of days but the whole time)
exhaustion
trouble sleeping
tremor

i couldnt handle the nausea not to mention the fact that it didnt help with my anxiety or depression in the slightest so i stopped taking it and my withdrawal symptoms include;
stomach pain
exhaustion
over sleeping some days and then struggling to sleep at all others
racing heartbeat
extreme anger
suicidal tendencies
severe depressed mood
hot and cold chills
diarrhea
feel almost, stoned with a hangover
complete lack of motivation
head feels fuzzy

im feeling slightly better today but i have eaten the equivalent of about 2 meals in the past 6 days because i can't stomach anything.
i will never be going on this medication again and i think it is disgusting the lack of information that is given by our medical and healthcare professionals.

stay strong everyone going through this. you're not alone

#152 woozy

woozy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

I think I'm in a different boat than many of you. I was prescribed Cymbalta for erosive arthritis hand pain, as in pain so bad it is difficult to do my job. I did not take it for psychological reasons.

Effects/Side-Effects:

major reduction in my hand pain. Able to work without wincing (I use my hands almost continuously on the job: mother-baby nurse)
able to sleep well, but with weird dreams. not bad, just weird. Was having problems sleeping before the drug
apathy: at home, content to sit on the sofa playing games on my computer while watching movies
apathy: no interest in sex (really??? me??? this is bad!!!)
apathy: showering every other day (yuk) and reluctance to brush teeth (did it anyway)
memory problems
concentration problems
vision: blurriness, change in glasses prescription
lethargy: had been going to the gym every day before work. No workouts on this drug
weight gain: 20 pounds in 2 months on this drug
what I call the stoner effect: all I wanted to do was sit and eat. all the time. mostly carbs.
much less social. I wouldn't call it withdrawal, but really wasn't interested in interacting.

I was only on 30 mg daily. My doctor wanted me to increase to 60 mg, but when I tried 60 mg I couldn't wake up enough to function at all! I took the drug in the evenings. If I took it later than 5-6 pm, I couldn't make myself get up in the morning in time to get to work. Once I took the drug, I was done for the day.... falling asleep, ready for bed (and not in a good way!)

Withdrawal Symptoms:

crushing headache on day one. No medications touched it. on the 2nd day, I figured out why I had a headache
super high blood pressure!!! 165/92. Normal pressure for me is 110/70
VERTIGO. It is day 7 and I still have it. worsened on day 4, looking forward to it being gone
brain zaps. these didn't show up until day 5
trouble sleeping. this has been somewhat resolved by taking Magnesium in the evenings.
nausea, which I consider a plus due to the weight gain over the past 2 months
some energy return.
reduction in apathy: I feel like doing stuff again
VERTIGO (yeah, I know this is the 2nd mention) I feel like doing stuff, but the vertigo limits that
forgetfulness. and darn it, it's Christmastime and I need to remember stuff!!!

I wish I'd known more about this drug before I went on it. My rheumatologist put me on it to help with the hand pain, but DAMN, it shut down too many areas of my life! Withdrawal is no picnic either.

#153 somebody0plz0help0me

somebody0plz0help0me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    I had to quit Cymbalta cold turkey after only 3 months of taking due to insurance reasons. I need help getting through this, its awful!!!

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

I was given NO information regarding the side effects of taking Cymbalta by my doctor besides nausea, and was DEFFINETLY NOT given any information about withdrawl, besides the tiny printed, confusing, folded up peice of paper, included in the box with the free samples that I was roped in with.

While taking 60mg Cymbalta for 3 months I experienced:

Nausea
Weight loss (10 lbs in total)
Relief from Anxiety....kinda too much, I didn't care about anything..slept all day, didn't care about showering, eating, if there was food in the house, if the house was clean, if laundry was done, if I was breathing or not(I have 8 kids, these things should matter)!
Great Relief from the chronic pain I had!
Foggy in the head
Couldn't remember anything

Withdrawl symptoms:

BRAIN ZAPS
Nausea
EXTREME RAGE
Night sweats
Trouble sleeping
Vivid Nightmares
BRAIN ZAPS
Dizziness
Feel like crap generally-like a lingering flu..

The only upside I can think of thus far is:
I have gotten out of bed
Things are getting done...slowly
I feel more like me..not a ZOMBIE.

Today is day 5 of cold turkey detox due to loosing insurance.

I hope things continue to get better and so glad I wasn't on this crap any longer than I was. The Brain Zaps and rage is the worst of my withdrawl so far, the chronic pain is back, I also take pain meds, however either my body is too used to them or the Cymbalta tackled the pain differently than the pain meds do.

I guess my big beef with this whole experience is I wasn't informed more than I was and wasn't given choices.

Thank you for this site! The other day I was a mess, in the deep middle of the withdrawl, I found this site and a post from member Pixie, it was like I wrote much of it, it made me feel better, that I wasn't going crazy, that this was "normal", that I wasn't the only person.

#154 Che

Che

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:34 AM

On starting cymbalta I immediately experienced:

dizziness/drunk feeling
extreme muscle tension and very bad jaw/face tension

after a short while confusion clumsiness and inability to find right words for things started

shooting pains and burning intensified in arms and legs

insomnnia
dont like loud noise

now stopped taking drug for 5 days after weaning down to 20 mg every 48 hours for a week

terrible dizziness
brain 'jolts'
don't want to live

#155 jainw

jainw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationManchester UK
  • why_joining:
    Worried about the effects of Cymbalta on liver function, plus the side effects upon withdrawal

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

I am sorry to read how many people are suffering the dreadful side effects of withrawal. It took about 3 weeks for my brain zaps to reduce to a level where they were not troublesome, and another couple for them to totally subside. Please just try to see them as a temporary thing, this bad patch will come to an end, esp you Che. Just use the forum to vent about this stupid drug, until it is out of your system x

#156 Meli

Meli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:
    Support with terrible side effects and withdrawl symptoms of cymbalta

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:48 AM

It really is so sad and an utter disgrace, to read about so much suffering from cymbalta !!! I know only too well the the hell and horror it causes.

I am thankfully now, completely off cymbalta, not without the ramifications of taking it however.

Cymbalta appeared to keep my pain symptoms under control but the price I payed was huge.

I did try the compound pharmacy plan, and it was working well, until I discovered a unplanned pregnancy. It was not healthy and did not proceed.

I still experienced cymbalta withdrawl such as brain zaps and rage however I have been on prozac now for five days and all these symptoms have settled down.

I really do recommend weaning down through a compound pharmacy and the going on prozac, it worked for me and other users...

Good Luck Everyone and Seasons Greetings..

#157 feelingused

feelingused

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

After being on Cymbalta for about 2 months (started at 30 and 1 week later 60mg) I began having suicidal thoughts. My stupid psychiatrist took me off with out weening me and 7 days later I had the worst withdrawal symptoms that landed me in the e.r. I had such a severe migraine, extreme vertigo, involuntary twitching, feeling like I'm hungover, horrid vivid nightmares, and the list goes on. My psychiatrist said I needed to switch to Wellbutrin. (She knows I had an allergic reaction to that one...Idiot!) I said that is enough. Three days after my e.r. trip I am having heart palputations, nausea, extreme thirst (I want water all day!) And continued vertigo. When I asked her if there would be side effects from going cold turkey she said No not at all! Really? Nothing lady? I feel like I drank a bottle of liquor and have sudden sharp joint pains that started today. This medicine and most SSRI are not worth the side effects. I gained 20 pounds in two months! Wth?? I am now feeling like me again and my wife says I am funny again. I was not "hear" for two months. I do not recommend this drug to anyone.....its all bad and should be taken off the market. I really cannot wait till all the withdrawal symptoms are gone.

#158 CDC74

CDC74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

I had been taking Cymbalta for 6 months. I started with 30mg for 2 months, then progressed to 60mg. I decided to wean off in November. My doctor advised me to go back down to 30mg, which I did. Per the doctors instruction, I took 1 a day for two weeks, then 1 every other day for two weeks. I wasn't warned of withdrwal symptoms. I took my last pill 6 days ago. Listed below are the withdrawal symptoms I've had and some I'm still currently having.

Dizziness(extreme at times)
Brain zaps
Cold chills
Hot flashes
Nightmares
Irritability
Unusual anger
Body aches
Memory loss (short term type)
Loss of words

This has to be the worst experience I've ever had with a medication. I've attempted calling my doctor several times to ask of suggestions or help to make the withdrawals less harsh. I've not received a phone call back.

#159 Marcia

Marcia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

I am relieved to know that perhaps this odd pressure feeling in my inner ears may have an explanation! I have always had tinnitus but this is way worse. Hopefully as with your the symptoms become less. Only off fully for about a week, been tapering from 90mg since December. I hope this drug gets taken off the market as it has seriously affected way too many people. I am amazed how they can advertise it is for low back pain, I have spent umpteen dollars going to Physical therapy for back problems! Hope you start to feel better over the next few day. I am sorry you have to go through this. Take care. Marcia

I have had 14 of the listed withdrawal symptoms plus TREMENDOUS pressure in my inner ears! I haven't been sick with Upper Respiratory stuff in at least 2 years and I was just down for a week. I know it is because my immune system is bunk due to the withdrawals.

My symptoms were getting a little better every day and after this illness I started to experience them all over again. About 4 days ago mild zaps returned and all the other cognitive and GI problems are starting in again.

#160 Marcia

Marcia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

I hope you let your Doctor know how you feel. It concerns me to see your last line where you state you do not want to live.
As with anything in life these symptoms shall pass. I know it is hard as I am going through it myself. Please take care of yourself and I hope you have a support network surrounding you to help you through this. Take care.

On starting cymbalta I immediately experienced:

dizziness/drunk feeling
extreme muscle tension and very bad jaw/face tension

after a short while confusion clumsiness and inability to find right words for things started

shooting pains and burning intensified in arms and legs

insomnnia
dont like loud noise

now stopped taking drug for 5 days after weaning down to 20 mg every 48 hours for a week

terrible dizziness
brain 'jolts'
don't want to live

#161 Marcia

Marcia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

Symptoms... Ah yes there are symptoms.

Most disconcerting!

Brain Zaps. they come on suddenly and I actually jolt my head forward. Very Scary and embarrassing if I am with people and I suddenly grab my head. (Doctor confirmed)

Inner ear pressure with increased tinnitus. Whooshy ocean sounds. Hard to describe. At times pulsating sounds. (Sounds crazy I know...)

Feeling of unrealness, I know this sounds weird but there but not there.

Twitchy, pinchy feelings around my mouth. (Thought I was having a stroke the first time I felt it!)

Feeling like the floor is not solid beneath my feet. (way worse with Pristiq, though) Doctor confirmed symptom.

face pressure,

blurred vision,
chills,
restlessness,
aches and pains,
nausea,
diarrhea (while on constipation) Doctor confirmed

odd bodily sensations

Rage feeling (more while I was on)

Sadness and tearfulness as I am coming off. (cried watching episode of Undercover Bosses, for Petey sake!)

I am sure there are more but you get the picture. This drug is a terrible drug and there should be better customer awareness about the risks involved before taking.

I guess what also bugs me is the disbelief the doctor had for my concerns. If I was complaining about problems with a cardiac or diabetic drug I am sure I would not have gotten the response and disrespect I got from my doctor. I have been doing what he has told me to do for many years and he always treated me well. Now, I get a rude and disrespectful response to the point where I do not want to go back. What is wrong with the practitioners of Mental Health. Why get into it if compassion and respectful attitudes are not their strong suit. Sheeesh. <_<

#162 Jenni

Jenni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

On Cymbalta since May 2005 on doses between 90 and 120mg:
Depression lifted - total miracle. Calmer than I had been for years.
Feelings of suicide disappeared
Very lethargic
Crazy dreams in colour (I dream in black and white without medication) but mostly just boring stuff about sitting exams in high school!
Memory problems
Concentration problems - although some of them might have been mini-panic attacks. Definitely struggled to process a lot of information quickly which was a bit of problem in my job...
Zero libido
Permanently too hot - would start pouring with sweat at the slightest rise in temperature. Bit of a novelty for me as I had always been someone who was freezing.

Withdrawal Symtpoms - On my first two reductions, all these resolved within 7-14 days at the new dose:
Loss of coordination.
Pressure in my inner ears
Nausea
GI upset
Headaches - muscle tension type so booked in to see osteopath tomorrow
Dizziness
Numb fingers/toes/face
Flu-like symptoms
Sinus pain
Rage
Mood Swings
Crying
Memory problems
Concentration problems
Nightmares - these are subsiding after 7 days of no Cymbalta - they are definitely getting less dramatic!

Some of you seem to have been weaned off far too quickly according to the advice I have had from my family doctor, from a psychiatrist and from a pharmacist. IF there is a reason you have to come off it really quickly, your dr should be putting you on sthg with a long half life to stop your serotonin levels from plummeting. I have weaned slowly with several weeks between each reduction and I think I would have been smarter to do alternate days for two weeks instead of just one week, esp on the last drop down to zero.

#163 Butterflywithdrawal

Butterflywithdrawal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

Been on Cymbalta 30 mg for 2 1/2 years approx. Never had any side effects.. The doc would try 60mg on me and then I would feel tired and nausea bad.

For 6 months I took one 30mg every other day or sometimes every two days as per my docs consent.

Then I ran out around 3 or so weeks ago... My new insurance doesn't start till the 14th of this month.

My doc would tell me these symptoms are "In my head" or "Not harmful, and to get off when I'm not under stress of school."
Then he recommended Celexa 20mg to get off cymbalta and get a generic drug. I never filled that. I don't want to be on psyche meds I thought that was the point of getting off one. ugh
Sometimes if I'd go 2 or 3 days without cymbalta 30mgs, I would suffer the below withdrawal symptoms until I took the pill again, and then within hours or by the next day the symptoms were gone.

My withdrawal symptoms:

Headache (Forehead area then down in between the eyes like sinus headache maybe) Probably one of the worst withdrawal symptoms.
Brain Zaps (Had more the first week or two, now it is far and in between)
Feeling like I have a chest cold or something, sometimes.
Feeling hot off and on... Sometimes feeling a little bit more cold than usual.
Slight nausea sometimes eating in this last week
Overall feeling of icky flu or cold like feeling .
Sleeping a lot or not sleeping for a long period. (Although I get bored at home or had this before getting off)
Feeling like crying or crying , because these symptoms wont go away and pain meds don't ease the symptoms much.
Agitation.

I find sometimes if I am really distracted I won't feel much of these symptoms.
I find sometimes if I lay down on my back with an ice pack on my forehead and listen to some music for 30 to 45 mins helps with the headache... Downside I sometimes fall asleep errr.
I find that my symptoms are worse during the morning, but lessen at night.

I also came off lexapro a similar way, at a similar time... 3 years on lexapro 10mg a day, to every other day at 5mg till I ran out in dec 11.

I also suffer from chronic pain due to herniated disc in my neck and lower back that gives pain in my arm and leg as well. I'm on vicodin, soma, and klonopin for that. Still on these meds.
I am also on a low does of atenolol blood pressure medicine, to keep my mitral valve prolapse flutters at bay... And heart rate down as about four years ago when I was riddled with anxiety/depression before meds my heart rate was between 100 to 120 just sitting.

Could I possibly be having worse time, due to getting off two psyche meds at the same time? Or is it just cymbalta?

#164 Amber0401

Amber0401

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:45 AM

I am 25 and have been on Cymbalta for 5 years. I've recently followed the 60-30-0 weaning process and am now on day 2 of 0mg. I originally went on cymbalta for depression/anxiety and meant to only take it for a year or two. Unfortunately I went through a divorce and that made it last longer. Here are my side effects I experienced while on this drug:

personality changes - my first six months i became rather manic. i had tons of energy, started clubbing 4 nights a week, partying, and engaging in thrill seeking behaviors and people alike. it was like a wonder drug for me because i could do it all. college, work, and party full time with no sleep. but keep in mind this drug has consequences...while you dont experience REAL lows in life you also dont experience REAL highs. love, family, friendship, sex...etc all become very much less enjoyable and you feel detatched. this was the biggest side effect i encountered but as time went on i actually experienced a crash and then remained mellow and tired for years. some basic side effects that were no big surprise however would be: constant nausea, fatigue, digestive issues, weight gain, daily headaches, migraines, and difficulty climaxing during intercourse.

Since I have started the weaning process about two months ago my life has honestly gotten surprisingly better (up until two days ago). My sexlife has become more enjoyable, i actually have happy days and not just "ok" days, and i am starting to get back to the old me. i notice the trees, the sun, the air around me and have gotten back into my music and poetry that i used to love. when switching from 60 to 30 i experienced a very foggy disoriented intoxicated like feeling that came and went on a daily basis. sometimes i had to lay down from being too dizzy but i was happy i was getting off of it so i hung in there.

That was the past two months...I am now on day 2 of 0mg/day and my life is a living hell to be blunt lol... Getting off this crap is defintely no picnic but i am very lucky to have a loving spouse who is there for me. I have been having very vivid nightmares this week as well as shaking throughout my body and waking up completely soaked in sweat. Yesterday I went from laughing hysterically for no reason to I was so scared that I was going to die because it felt like i was breathing but getting no oxygen from the air only an hour later. Today i had convinced myself that there was something evil in my house like a lunatic and hid under the covers like a 5 year old before my boyfriend came home and showed me there were no monsters LOL... so i'ld say be prepared to experience some SERIOUS paranoia and mood swings my friends. i also have heart palpitations, and uncontrollable periods of crying/rage like others do. one thing that has come as a surprise to me that i havent seen people talking about is my eyesight. for the past two days i can barely see sometimes which makes it impossible to drive or work. i literally feel like a blind person bumbling around holding onto things squinting. also today i was so freezing cold i had to sit in a hot bath for almost two hours until it passed. i was just so cold i felt my bones were frozen and i could feel almost electricity traveling through my muscles making them tremor and cause pain. i am also unable to have a conversation with anyone. i get two sentences out and i completely forget what i am talking about or i just physically cant speak. this is only day 2...god knows what the hell tomorrow holds lol...but know you're not alone, that it wont last forever, that there are more people out there acting crazy (like me :P )and hang in there. I think half the battle is just knowing you're not the only one :)Amber

#165 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Amber:

Antidepressants can trigger mania in some people. I also experienced the weight gain and headaches while on full dose.

I tapered slowly for 1 year and a half, from 60 to 0mg. I also experienced nightmares, sweats and freezing cold, laughing histerically, breathing problems, mood swings, uncontrollable rage and crying, forgetting words, not being able to comprehend written or spoken language, not being able to speak, tremors. I had none of these symptoms prior to cymbalta. I had to go back on cymbalta because the symptoms were unbearable even after having tapered so slowly. The worst thing is that now that I am taking the medication I still feel depressed, teary and anxious. I can´t get off of it, but I don´t feel well on it.

#166 Amber0401

Amber0401

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

Hey cookie thanks for the reply. Well I def think that going off this crap requires ALOT of time off and a very good support system. I have been documenting my battle to submit to the FDA. I know goin off stuff like this is hard on everyone but it should not be unbearable like this. I completely understand how you feel. If I didn't have a flexible job and a partner who doesn't need my income to pay our bills then there is no way I could do this. I am very fortunate to have this and no children so that I can completely focus on making it thru this.

I stayed home from work today because of my vision. I am blinded by movement and light. My eyesight is so bad i cant even watch a movie or read a book. Today is day 4 no cymbalta and the vertigo and brain shivers are brutal. Since going off the drug my headaches and migraines have completely disappeared so that's a plus. I do have pressure in my head but it's only behind my eyes and MUCH more bearable than migraines. But everything I eat makes me sick and I continue to experience phantom pains throughout my body. Almost like electric zaps in my muscles that are short lived but occur frequently. I also have constant chest pressure and pain which I assume is me being anxious.

I actually almost gave up today and just took a damn pill to stop all this. If it hadn't been for my spouse and my strong desire to have children I wouldn't have made it thru the day. I'm extremely thirsty and continue to have vivid dreams and completely miserable. However on a positive note I will throw out there that the sex drive has come back! I've had the most intense and enjoyable Os of my life recently so I really hope that might help be an incentive to some. I find what helps me get thru the day is sleeping through it and playin old Disney movies to combat my paranoia. Since I can't see I listen to my happy Disney movies since I can picture the movie in my head anyways. I find it most helpful at night because it's comforting and prevents me from thinking about my suffering. Lucky for me I'm good at typin and don't need to see well to do it and spell check helps :)

I have started benadryl today since I've seen it's helped many others. But I don't thnk it's helping me sleep. I'm going to give it another day before trying some dremamine for the vertigo. I figure maybe if I can get rid of some of that I will be able to sleep better. Either way I'll let you all know how it works for me. Cookie don't give up I've seen it can be done but the timing of your life needs to be where it is possible. My father, my aunts, uncles, and grandparents are all stuck on antidepressants. I am the only one who has been able to get to 0mg/day and I have a rather large family so you are not alone. It's a brutal process but I've seen it can be done thru others. Give it some time and try again. It took me a couple of tries to get to 0/day and I expect to slip a few times but I figure as long as I keep trying I will do it eventually :)

#167 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hi Amber:
I also had blinding headaches when taking full dose of cymbalta.
I gave up quitting the medication. I feel that I am trapped on antidepressants. Symptoms were real unbearable. My body couldn´t digest food because it would get stuck in the esophagus not passing into the stomach. I couldn´t breath, I couldn´t walk because I was so dizzy. I started to have seizure-like episodes. My initial psychiatric symptoms (the ones for which cymbalta was prescribed) turned 100 times worse. My depression turned into very dark experiences, nightmares, depersonalization and derealization, paranoia (new symptoms I didn´t have before cymbalta). I had to updose, to a dosage in which I am able to function, digest food, breath, etc. It seems my body and brain are kind of addicted to it.

#168 Amber0401

Amber0401

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

Ughh I feel your pain on the not breathing. I think it's an anxious thing for me but I am on day 6 now and feeling horrible. I mean it's just brutal to get off this shit and ppl should know that before they start taking it. I'm plagued by episodes of paranoia and rage that will not go away. Sometimes I physically can't move because the sharp pain in my head is unbearable. I definitely NEED to get off this crap. No way in hell will I have kids with this garbage in me. I really want to have kids but God knows what it will do to a baby :(

#169 pleasemakeitstop

pleasemakeitstop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:03 AM

New here...

Me and my fiance were both at 60 mg of Cymbalta, both got put on it around the same time around november 2011. Due to finances and other things we're are going to have to stop purchasing our prescriptions of cymbalta. He stopped taking it exactly 2 weeks ago and has been so sick since... we thought it was a serious serious flu. Not aware of all these withdrawals and such from this anti-depressant (just found this site) we didn't think nothing of it, considering we've kind of dropped different types of prescription meds (anti-depressants and not) and have never had this happen. Could not get the fever to go away, keep food down, ease up on any sickness of it. I stopped taking almost a week ago. 4 days later, I was like great, I have the flu too. We feel like death, have never felt this sick in our lives. Little did we know it was from the cymbalta. Has to be. Here are our symptoms/withdrawals

-Dizziness, almost fainting
-'Rolling' stomach
-Diarrhea
-Nausea
-Gorey graphic bloody nightmares
-Irregular sleep
-Runny nose/sneezing
-Chest pain
-Sore throat
-Fevers
-vertigo
-sensitive skin
-apathy
-restlessness
-constant hunger but when we eat, it hurts(shooting pains in stomach)
-dehydration
-shortness of breath
-JUST PLAIN OUT SICK AND FEELING AWFUL beyond words, like the flu times 10
-hot flashes
-hallucinations
-waking up everyday as if we had drank all night long (NO ALCOHOL HAS BEEN DRANK)
-light sensitivity
-sound sensitivity
-feeling like our head is on a stick(can't even hold it up)

:(

#170 LynneWhitney

LynneWhitney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

I had symptoms while taking Cymbalta, but tried to blame them on everything/anything else. Slept 12-15 hours/night, wouldn't get dressed for days at a time. Felt I had nothing to live for. Thought of ways to do myself in way too frequently, and I'm not young. Had terrible night sweats, then would get out of bed and think I was going to freeze to death. I was dizzy as a bat, and fell several times, a couple times even when holding on to a stair railing for dear life. Constantly was dreaming of everyone in my family...all of them have been dead for some time, yet I dreamt about them constantly. Often there was theme that they were putting me down, kicking me around, etc. I had some concentration problems, but started taking something called Focus Factor, which helped a bit. Did 'things' I wouldn't normally do...from getting up in a public place and verbally blasting people to grabbing someone who shook their finger in my face and tried to break their neck. When you don't start that kind of behaviour until you're 61 years old, it's obviously not just my personality. Some chemical explanation has to be it. Can't remember how many years I was on it. After hearing from other people who took Cymbalta having the technicolor nightmares and the "space out" headaches, I started looking into it more.

GETTING OFF CYMBALTA: Still had many of same problems I had while taking it; only things got much worse. Knew better than to "cold turkey" off any antidepressant, but couldn't afford to see Psychiatrist...so January 1, 2012, I started taking the Cymbalta every other day. Did that for 16 days and HAD NO PROBLEM. Then Dr. said if I wasn't feeling bad, I might as well just quit taking them altogether. So I did. About a week later I started screaming streams of four letter words at the top of my lungs over what should be a minor irritation. My rage was horrid. Had difficulty remembering anything; even forgot to pay bills that were right in front of my face. Swell for the credit rating. With mild irritation, my blood pressure jumps to 195/95, heart rate in 90's. And I was JUST put on blood pressure meds within the past month. Went to ENT doctor in January because I lost hearing in one ear. Sometimes, thought I was hearing bits/unintelligible stuff, like people say tennitis is. The strange sensation I have, that I think others may be calling zaps, frightened me a bunch. Thought I was having strokes. Could be sitting at computer, basically clear-headed, then it's as if there's a section on the upper right side of my head...from ear to top of head, that 'vanishes', like part of my mind just quit. Then I couldn't think at all for 10-30 seconds; then my mind would come back. Also felt like if you got up too fast, or turned your head too quickly and just got VERY dizzy. Frequently feel like my knees just won't hold me up. A couple times, I've collapsed that way, too. Just don't know why this hasn't gotten better. Shrink is out of town. I know that my oxygenation levels are low and metabolism is very slow, and wonder if this could be adding insult to injury. I am, by nature, an outgoing, social butterfly type. Love nothing more than being around people. But I get dressed once every 3 or 4 days, because if I don't crawl out and shower, I fear my husband will leave. When I quit smoking, I had some doozie experiences...maybe I'm just too aware of everything. About 2 weeks off ciggies, swore a waste basket in office moved across the hall (on its own). Visual hallucination. I'm taking things to help me detox, drinking lots of water and even go to Aqua Chi. My water always turns brownish-black; truly sludge. Is there anybody out there that had withdrawal for a month or so? When I do see the psychiatrist at end of this month, I'm probably not going to be on my best behavior. Think he put me out to pasture to suffer since I started withdrawing on my own. At over $130 for 25 minutes, I can't AFFORD to see him very often.
:(

#171 Amber0401

Amber0401

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

Yes. I've been off cymbalta for 16 days now and am still sick. From what I understand most don't feel better until after a month. I just had the most intense night terror last time. Really awful.

#172 LynneWhitney

LynneWhitney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

Amber, thanks for the reply. I don't feel quite so alone. If I thought my husband understood Jack-Squat, might be different. I have had anxiety for about 40 years (situationally caused, no doubt)....but he NEVER SEEMED to understand it AT ALL. When he was pinned down to a table with bolts having radiation therapy, he got all nervous. I suggested Lorazepam, etc., which the docs had offered. It made it a lot easier for him. THEN HE developed SOME UNDERSTANDING of anxiety. You can see I'm in a particularly ornery mood. I'm so tired of feeling this crappy. I feel so bad about your night terrors. They're just ugly...and often accompanied by pounding heart, huh? Last night I had yet a new experience: Usually, I'm too warm; kicking covers off, or sticking one leg out to chill me a bit. Not so last night. Was in family room and got cold. Put winter slippers on and covered up with my crocheted blanket. Still cold. Just went to bed, in hopes of warming up. Wrapped myself up in covers, rolled into them like a sausage in a wrapper. Kept shaking, sometimes violently, from cold. Pulled covers over my head! Didn't even WANT to get out of bed to go to bathroom! Did get up, but shivered and shook the entire way, while feeling I was going to keel over from weakness. Felt almost like I think seizures would be, but I don't know for sure. Just kept concentrating on trying not to shake and shiver. I'd like to get the head dude of Eli Lilly and 'have my way'....with HIS greedy, money-mongering butt. Anything for money. They don't care how many of us it kills. ----If you want to share about your night terror, it's fine. I know sometimes it helps to spill the pain you're in....after all, you've sure heard me. Thanks so much for letting me know I'm not the only one who has been in agony for well over a week. You're an angel.

#173 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hello Pleasemakeitstop:
I had almost every symptom you mentioned in your list. You are lucky you only took the medication for 4 months. I have taken it for 6 years.

#174 megwey

megwey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

My symptoms are:
little or no appetite
incessant ringing/buzzing in ears
brain zaps
confusion
dizziness
inability to focus or function
muscle spasms

#175 sunnysideup

sunnysideup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hey does anyone else experience excruciating headaches? I mean debilitating?

#176 LynneWhitney

LynneWhitney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Dear Pleasemakeitstop and others...My heart goes out to you. I'm still a physical/emotional disaster area, full of rage, with a headache on one side of my head that never stops. And I took a Cymbalta every OTHER day for 16 days before I got off it. If you recently flat cold-turkeyed, please find SOMEONE OR ER to give you a lower dosage, like 30mg...do that for two weeks/whatever, then slowly get off. Since I've gone thru this, 3 health professionals, the most honest one a psychiatric nurse....told me that it WAS a particularly nasty thing to get off, and THAT YOU SHOULD BE WEANED OFF IT SLOWLY. Don't think I said in my last blurb how I called insurance "nurseline"...who told me to call a doc within 1/2 hour. Told him what I was going thru, and what does this jackass say, "Well, do you have any Cymbalta in the house?" I said yes and he said, "Start taking them again." I said thanks/goodbye. When I went to my regular doctor last week, he said he noticed I called in to a doc because of withdrawal symptoms on weekend. He asked me if I started taking the Cymbalta again. I made an arm gesture and said, hell no. He said GOOD. Since I'd been off it completely for a month, no point in restarting the suffering cycle again. But if you just cold turkeyed very recently, if it were me, I'd consider getting off in small increments. The people who designed this drug are Satanically controlled, I swear.

#177 cinderella

cinderella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationpeterborough ontario
  • why_joining:
    i joined this because people need to be aware of the crap this drug puts people thru

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

well i thought i would do a update on my sysptoms, its been almost 3 weeks now since i took the cymbalta,been feeling ok for awhile until today,i really felt sick today,my legs felt really weak and my body was aching really bad,like people have said felt like i had the flu,came home from work and laid down for about 2 hours,felt alittle better when i got back up.i also had a nice hot bath and it seemed to help ,right now i feel better then i did earlier today.i have docs at 4pm tomorrow will se how that goes.cant believe what this shit does to your body and your mind. i find that withdraws most times are worse during the day then the evenings,have no idea why either. almost scared to get up in the morning cause dont know how i will feel,this is really scary shit to go thru.oh plus my chest felt heavy and my breathing was not good either,almost felt like i had ashma or chest infection. i also experienced the vertigo again today at work.will write again tomorrow after doctors bye for now

#178 cinderella

cinderella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationpeterborough ontario
  • why_joining:
    i joined this because people need to be aware of the crap this drug puts people thru

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

well went to docs today,was feeling like i had the flu all day at work, bye the time i seen him the feeling started to go away. he told me that going cold turkey off of this shit is really hard and that really he couldnt give me anything at the time i started because he said that 2 weeks was around the safest time to start something else.so today he has given me a perscripition for celexa 40mg to take at night,he told me that once i take the first dose the withdraw sysptoms should be gone almost immediately.i was on this before i started taking the cymbalta,and never had any problem with it.will let yous know how things go when i have started my perscripition,have to find money to pay for it first. like i said before im also taking trazadone before bed and it has helped really well with my sleeping no night terrors thank god.

#179 Glorydays

Glorydays

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Can someone tell me what u mean by brain zaps?

#180 amarie221

amarie221

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off this med :(

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

I am so happy to have stumbled upon this site. So much useful information and support. If I even miss a pill for a day or two the brain zaps or horrible. i plan on doing some research and making a tapering plan and post my daily 'feelings' as many other have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)