• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Thank you thank you thank you! Finding this site has me feeling better and crying at the same time... I'm so relieved to know that I'm not alone.... I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 years ago, and started on Lyrica, then added Savella. About 6 months ago, my symptoms got worse, and I switched from Savella to Cymbalta, 60 mg (still take Lyica). No real change in my pain levels, and I develeoped mouth sores almost from day 1. Brain fog also got much worse. Called the doc and the nurse told me it wasn't cymbalta causing them, and I foolishly kept taking them.

Last month I became determined to stop taking it... rhuematologist wouldn't even talk to me about it, since she didn't prescribe it. Called my reg doc, TOLD them I was going off it, and they gave me 30 mg samples to last every day for 2 weeks, then every other day for 2 weeks.

I've had headaches, I'm exhausted all day, then awake most of the night... fibro pain is worse than ever... I work full-time and married with 3 active children, and I'm failing at everything... I've fell asleep at my desk twice last week... my home's a disaster... I'm crying and having screaming fights with my husband... I took 5 hour "naps" for the last 4 days while my kids watched tv...

It took me 45 minutes just to write this, so thank you for reading it, I guess it's pretty long...

I want me back...

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

katmireliz, we want you back too. You have been lost to cymbalta too long. A happier life awaits. It is time to get free. We will help all we can.

#3 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

Thank you... part of me knows that it can and will get better... but I feel like the lowest of the low when my 7 year old is having to comfort me, and I'm crying on the phone with my 18 year old when SHE'S the one who just saw her Marine fiancee off for 9 weeks...

#4 Crazychic

Crazychic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Katmireliz, this journey is exhausting to say the least. There are several threads on here that tell you a list of vitamins that will help with the withdrawal. I was on 60mgs too I decided enough was enough and went cold turkey! I am now on day 22 and the last weeks were horrible. Week one was a nightmare, week 2 was less intense and starting week three I am beginning to feel like myself again. Talk with your husband, show him this site keep him informed about how the next few weeks will be and ask him to support you and to let you know when you need to calm down. My 19 yr old daughter has been a god send through this she has helped me so much! Don't feel guilty for asking for help this is a rough battle! You can do it. Take care of yourself, rest when you can, sleep patterens are so whacked during this time. Best wishes to you, you can do this

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

The emotional sensitivity is horrible but just want you to know...it does get better.

#6 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thanks crazychic and fishinghat, your words man a lot to me... Yest was better...and I feel ok right now, except my body's buzzing and I can't focus on my work... Sad that this is am improvement! Lol... But I haven't cried today... I'm still on30 everyday, so I'm guessing that I'm leveling... Kinda of worried about the drop to 30 every other day... That just seems like out would prolong the madness... "you've got it...now you don't..you've got it...now you don't!"

Mostly I hate dragging this out so long... But I have to be able to work and parent...

The only person I know who took this, she had NO problems coming off... The lucky 49%... :o}

#7 CymbaltaCrap

CymbaltaCrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To find support and information regarding the weaning off Cymbalta. Also to help and support others in similar situations.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

katmireliz I totally understand your pain! As would most other people on this site. I'm on day 5 of being Cymbalta free!! But it has been a very very tough road! And today is not a good day! :( But day 1,2 and 3 of being cymbalta free were very good! And some very rocky days in between! Yes you're right, some people have hardly any problems coming off this crap! Others, like us, do..

So you're thinking of doing one day on, one day off the cymbalta? That may work, but reading back over yours posts, it may be very very difficult. Have you read on this site about bead counting? Or tapering? (same thing) It's a MUCH more gentle way to get this crap out of your body. Basically you take open the capsule and take 5 beads out, then have the capsule. Next day you take 10 beads out. Next day 15 and so on. If you feel like you're not coping just stay at whatever doseage you're taking. So if things are not going well and you're up to taking out 30, then stay at taking out 30 for a few days, however long it takes for your body/brain to get used to the doesage. Have a look around on this site, there's lots of info on it.

Best of luck :)

#8 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

do the bead counting/tapering, the one day off/on thing is just going to confuse your brain terribly- pushing you in and out of withdrawal. best of luck x

#9 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

katmireliz

The  beading counting way works very well and CymbaltaCrap has explained it very well and I know used that method herself and I did too.

And this link explains why it works better than the day on - day off way and there is some additional help there as well.

https://www.cymbaltawithdrawal.com/topic/7037-omega-3/#entry31431

Thanks crazychic and fishinghat, your words man a lot to me... Yest was better...and I feel ok right now, except my body's buzzing and I can't focus on my work... Sad that this is am improvement! Lol... But I haven't cried today... I'm still on30 everyday, so I'm guessing that I'm leveling... Kinda of worried about the drop to 30 every other day... That just seems like out would prolong the madness... "you've got it...now you don't..you've got it...now you don't!"

Mostly I hate dragging this out so long... But I have to be able to work and parent...

The only person I know who took this, she had NO problems coming off... The lucky 49%... :o}

You are right "you've got it...now you don't..you've got it...now you don't!" doesn't make alot of sense with a drug with a short 1/2 life like this one.

Your friend was very lucky.

Whatever way you decide to go we are here to support you.

Take care

#10 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

Thank you so much! I am going to use bead counting method... I keep thinking how I felt when I missed a dose last week, and it was AWFUL! The every other day thing my doctor advised just feels wrong for me. I am SO very glad I found this site!

On another, similar note, I had my first appt at a pain clinic, and I was nervous that they'd just give me meds and that'd be it. But the doc was great... Very compassionate, and really listened. He did prescribe a muscle relaxer, but also physical therapy, dietary changes, warm water therapy... And he listened to why I was getting of cymbalta, and said ok, sounds good. Overall, good day!

#11 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

That sounds fantastic katmireliz

Lucky with the pain clinic doc. That helps so much to get a good one.

Take care of you

#12 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thank you so much! I am going to use bead counting method... I keep thinking how I felt when I missed a dose last week, and it was AWFUL! The every other day thing my doctor advised just feels wrong for me. I am SO very glad I found this site!

On another, similar note, I had my first appt at a pain clinic, and I was nervous that they'd just give me meds and that'd be it. But the doc was great... Very compassionate, and really listened. He did prescribe a muscle relaxer, but also physical therapy, dietary changes, warm water therapy... And he listened to why I was getting of cymbalta, and said ok, sounds good. Overall, good day!

that sounds a very good appt:) I'd be interested to know it goes for you, as the M.E pain (similar to fibro) is a bit troublesome and am particularly stiff and sore right now. I have 2 baths a day for the warm water effect, what dietary changes did he advise? 

#13 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

He said to go as natural as possible... Fresh fruits and vegetables, organic meats, fish and poultry mostly. Water water water! As he said, he thinks that this kind of generalized pain is relatively recent, and could be an indicator of something missing in the diet, or of something that's being added that some people can't tolerate. Stop fast food, processed foods, etc.

#14 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

He said to go as natural as possible... Fresh fruits and vegetables, organic meats, fish and poultry mostly. Water water water! As he said, he thinks that this kind of generalized pain is relatively recent, and could be an indicator of something missing in the diet, or of something that's being added that some people can't tolerate. Stop fast food, processed foods, etc.

thank you, yes could well be as it's recent generalized pain. this reminds me to have some oily fish tomorrow, been a while lol.

#15 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

What an awesome doctor you have Katmireliz.

Keeping away from the salty fast food and processed foods is a good idea all the time but is especially important when tapering off Crapalta. The high salt (or sodium) levels in these foods can increase anxiety. Those processed lunch meats are loaded with salts.

I had one take out burger when near the end of tapering and man did it make me feel ill and very anxious. Didn't know what was going on until I happened to see a posting of fishinghat's later that evening.

The fresh veggies and fruit are very good for helping your liver detox right now too.

We shall all be very healthy soon with all that we are learning here.

#16 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

So far I'm not doing great with the all natural, although I did have carrots, snap peas and hummus for lunch (yum!) But then my daughter brought Chinese take-out for supper... Also yum! Lol... Still it's progress, and I've felt really good today... Hurting, of course, but I wasn't having to fight sleep whiledriving today (like I have been for months) and with an hour commute that's a HUGE deal! And i laughed today.. Real, light hearted laughter. I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, and for once, I'm NOT assuming it's a train!

#17 Crazychic

Crazychic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

That first real laugh feels amazing!!

#18 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

It was! Even if my coworker thought I was loopy! Lol

#19 Crazychic

Crazychic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

My kids think I'm crazy..lol I will find the oddest things funny! I really missed laughing, it's been one of the most rewarding things about not being on cymbalta anymore.

#20 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Been off line for a few days... Busy at work and todays my oldest DD's 19th bday. :-)

I haven't taken any cymbalta for the last 2 days... Doing...ok... I guess. I feel numb, but I wish I would cry... And my brain just...stops? sometimes. Don't know how else to say it... I'm not falling asleep, but my head suddenly jerks like a spasm like I'd fallen asleep. Happened 3 times in church today...

I had split my 30 mg caps in half, took for a week. But I felt evened out, and right now, I just can't stand the thought of dragging it out any longer... I want it gone from me NOW. It helps to have this place to come to

#21 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hi Katmireliz

You will probably have more side effects starting tonight or tomorrow if you are going to. I hope you are one of the lucky ones that don't have many.

Drink lots of water.

It is doable from 15mg.

That is just slightly higher than where I was when I decided that I was done with it.

Let us know how you are.

Take care

#22 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thanks... Last night and this morning are a little rough... I'm crying easily, and I've heard too many stories about the storms in OK. So sad.

I couldn't sleep last night, and my body's humming, like I'm shaking, but I'm not. It's bearable... Gonna be a long day at work though

#23 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Katmireliz

Hang in there girl.

You can get through this, but you need to do whatever it takes so that you get some sleep.

The emotional thing is so common after getting off Crapalta. It's like our brains don't know how to cope with emotions. The L-theanine helps with that if you take 200mg in the morning.

Take care of you

#24 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Thanks... Last night and this morning are a little rough... I'm crying easily, and I've heard too many stories about the storms in OK. So sad.

I couldn't sleep last night, and my body's humming, like I'm shaking, but I'm not. It's bearable... Gonna be a long day at work though

well done for coming this far katmireliz. what can really help is to keep all your entertainment, reading, as bland as you possibly can.

unfortunately at stage you're at now, anything will set off the crying, but to keep it as minimised as possible:

try to avoid the news on tv if you can. that made me bawl like a baby at one point so had to have a few days off!

no stimulating films/sad films/horrors. never been one for horrors myself, but I know lots of people like them.

calming shows like nature ones are good, and comedies. 

careful with sites such as Facebook, which might seem innocent enough but it only takes someone to post a dodgy status 

and it can really not help (I mean sad/gory/inflammatory kinds of statuses)

ask friends and loved ones to keep well off any subjects that might sadden or stimulate you overly. no lively discussions, you'll

know your triggers after a bit. 

keep hanging in there

#25 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks... That makes so much sense when I read it, but I hadn't made the connection! I did sleep last night, and today was better.... Still "humming" which is distracting, especially with a desk job that requires concentration, and I'm studying in my spare time for an exam next Monday. :-(... I failed the last one I took (right after starting to taper) because I couldn't stay awake.

Today wasn't terrible...crying for stupid reasons, and paranoia is becoming a problem... Lol I remember laughing last week, and I'm holding on to that memory by my fingernails! I know it'll happen again!

#26 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

good luck with the exam! whenever I see people working long hours, studying, doing these things in withdrawal, I absolutely am awestruck at how they manage it, but they do. the human will and drive is a wonderful thing, even in such difficult conditions such as these. 

as Nancy says, the brain just doesn't know how to handle emotions any more during withdrawal, everything is heightened and exaggerated. 

you'll definitely laugh again, it'll catch you by surprise when you least expect it;) and yes, the paranoia is to be expected too, 

if I had a pound/dollar for everytime I'd said 'and what did you actually MEAN by that?!' I'd have amassed a few by now!

#27 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

It's amazing what you can do when you have to, but I've also read enough to realize that my withdrawal symptoms are no where near as bad as they could be! Thanks mostly, I believe, to finding this site and the wonderful people here who are SO willing to help and offer the benefit of their experiences. I shudder to think what I'd be feeling like if I had followed my doctors (well meaning) tapering advice of every other day!

#28 katmireliz

katmireliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

I was doing so well (relatively) but the last couple of days, my temper is flaring out of control... I fly of egger handle at the slightest provocation, and with 3 kids? There's plenty of provocation.

Plus I'm stressed because I have am exam I'm the morning, and I'm nowhere near confidant... I can usually analyze enough to figure stuff out even if I don't really KNOW it, but after falling my test last month, I'm worried...

#29 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

hi Katmireliz

I hope you did well on your exam this morning.

As to the irritability, did you ever try the L-theanine. I am still using it and hubbie can tell on the days that I forget lol. I swear by 200 mg first thing in the morning. I took it in the late afternoon as well for the first 6 weeks.

Let us know how the exam went

Take care

#30 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

I was doing so well (relatively) but the last couple of days, my temper is flaring out of control... I fly of egger handle at the slightest provocation, and with 3 kids? There's plenty of provocation.

Plus I'm stressed because I have am exam I'm the morning, and I'm nowhere near confidant... I can usually analyze enough to figure stuff out even if I don't really KNOW it, but after falling my test last month, I'm worried...

hope exam went well- how old are your kids, I am hoping not too young! as then maybe explaining to them that you're not feeling so good right now, but that you still love them and to bear with you, might help. kids can be surprisingly sensitive with this stuff. if they are toddler age, then it's going to be more difficult!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users