#1 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:
    For help and understanding, not judgement.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hi, and to all those that that read this thank you and also for allowing be to join your group.

Without waffling to much which I can do.  I have had all sorts of these over approx 25 years.  12 months I insisted on switching to Duloxetine/Cymbalta because a friend had said it had helped him quite a lot, and my doctor went along with my request/played ball and agreed a little reluctantly if I recall because it wasn't a drug he was familiar with.  Any way I took these drugs whilst I was out of work with none of the usual day to day difficulties that life with a job brings and after a few weeks things settled down (or did they ever really?).  I am continuing to take them now whilst I have started a a job.  I new it would be difficult/expected it to be for a while. Anyway, as mentioned, I had been experiencing some problems with these meds for a while even before the job and had been thinking about changing anyway.  3 months into job I spoke to my doctor who proceeded to tell me that all along he didn't think these meds had done me any good at all.  Anyway we agreed was appropriate and this was going to be to Sertraline/Zoloft which is an SSRI and I have been more used to them in the past.  I asked the question about the switch over period and to my surprise he told me I could do so straight away without problems replacing Cymbalta with Sertraline (SNRI to SSRI). I doubled checked this with my pharmacist who said the same (whether reading from the same book or not I don't know).   Anyway, they couldn't be further from the truth.  I am experiencing all sorts of issues in particular 'electric shock' sensations in my face/head as well as others, such as nausea, stomach upset etc (the worst being the electric shocks in my face and head).  The switch over was made on 3/4 May and first problems the electric shocks started the next day.Thats my story to date and I am now off work having only been there for 3 months which is another worry, although they have been good so far despite asking me to see an occupational health therapist at some point, although told this is to help me when i'm back (another worry for me). 

Does anyone know how long this is likely to last for or can offer some reassurance/comfort, as I am concerned about my job and starting to feel very depressed now tear2.gif  to the point of giving up completely and I mean completely etc) I cannot carry on like this.

Many thanks for reading smile.gif

Inajam

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Welcome, inajam, I'm so happy you found us!

First off, you are okay, and you are going to get through this....just hang in there, and we'll do our best to help you! Everything you are experiencing is typical for cymbalta withdrawal....you've essentially quit cold turkey, which, as I know because I did it, is the hard way to go.....but there are better ways to do it, that will make the process more manageable and hopefully interfere less with your job...

Second, your doc and pharmacist are both jackasses....and dead wrong about how to get off the cymbalta and/or "cross-over" to a different med! The members of this forum know more about how to do this than the entire med profession combined!

I gather from your post that you've been on cymbalta for 3 months, or maybe a bit more, including while you were unemployed....how much time total would you say?

Also, what dosage was the cymbalta?

What dosage is the Zoloft?

Also, if you don't mind my asking...how old are you? (One of the things we've noticed here is that our younger members often have an easier time getting off cymbalta.)

One of our other members, Fishinghat, has experience with Zoloft (and Prozac I believe), as well as with the cross-over process....others here do also, but I can't remember who right now....

My own suggestion, subject to confirmation by fellow members, is that you reinstate the cymbalta at the last dose level you were on, get stabilized, and then wean off very gradually using the bead counting method....where you remove a couple, or even one, bead per day or every other day.... Do you have enough on hand to do this? If not, can you get your doc to prescribe another month or two for you?

I can't speak to when/how in that process you'd begin adding in the Zoloft, so I'll leave that foe the others to explain....

Also, do you have something on hand to help with the anxiety while you are managing the withdrawal/cross over process? A benzo or maybe hydrocodone?

In the meantime, before the others chime in here, take a look at the "nutritional support" and "what's helping me" forums....you'll get lots of info on what you can do to ease the symptoms, etc....

Chelates magnesium and Epsom salt bath soaks help the muscle tingles and zaps....Epsom salts is another form of magnesium and can get to the muscles transdermally.....for the nausea, ginger ale, ginger tea, raw ginger, or even powdered ginger from your spic rac help....

You can do this!

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

Inajam

Hi. Yes the Cymbalta cold turkey can be pretty rough; it's best to taper off very slowly over 90 days or so. See the post titled "Bead Counting".

The Sertraline could make the Cymbalta cold turkey go smoother, but the Sertraline takes some weeks to fully upload. I think you could be in for a few weeks of uncomfortable symptoms at a minimum. Typically cold turkey from Cymbalta can yield 8-12 weeks of struggle, with light at the end of the tunnel appearing around 3 months.

Many people have succeeded at this, and many of those good people are on this forum to help.

Even when piggybacking on a new drug (like Zoloft, or more typically Prozac), the patient still weans off the Cymbalta over a number of weeks.

Probably go back on Cymbalta until you're stable and then wean off over 6 weeks or so while you upload the Zoloft. Fishinghat will know.

Please keep us posted how it goes. You can do this!!

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

inajam, You CAN NOT do the switch to zoloft straight from cymbalta. The reason is that after a few days off cymbalta it's withdrawal kicks in  BUT it takes 8 weeks for zoloft to be at dull strength and usually aroound 4 weeks to see any benefits from the Zoloft. Standard procedure with psychiatrists around here is to slowly come off the cymbalta over a 4 or 5 week period as you ramp up the zoloft. The bad news is that you will probably suffer around 4 weeks of bad cymbalta withdrawal until you see any benefit from the Zoloft. The dr can give you a light dose of benzo to help, say xanax or ativan. These should only be used if they absolutely necessary as they are addictive and have a bad withdrawal if you are on them for very long. I would recommend hydroxyzine. It is as effective as a benzo, no withdrawal and not addictive. It can however make you drowsy and cause a slight drop in blood pressure, both of which go away after a couple weeks.

Hang in there. This will go away. Keep us posted.

#5 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

Welcome, inajam, I'm so happy you found us!

First off, you are okay, and you are going to get through this....just hang in there, and we'll do our best to help you! Everything you are experiencing is typical for cymbalta withdrawal....you've essentially quit cold turkey, which, as I know because I did it, is the hard way to go.....but there are better ways to do it, that will make the process more manageable and hopefully interfere less with your job...

Second, your doc and pharmacist are both jackasses....and dead wrong about how to get off the cymbalta and/or "cross-over" to a different med! The members of this forum know more about how to do this than the entire med profession combined!

I gather from your post that you've been on cymbalta for 3 months, or maybe a bit more, including while you were unemployed....how much time total would you say?

Also, what dosage was the cymbalta?

What dosage is the Zoloft?

Also, if you don't mind my asking...how old are you? (One of the things we've noticed here is that our younger members often have an easier time getting off cymbalta.)

One of our other members, Fishinghat, has experience with Zoloft (and Prozac I believe), as well as with the cross-over process....others here do also, but I can't remember who right now....

My own suggestion, subject to confirmation by fellow members, is that you reinstate the cymbalta at the last dose level you were on, get stabilized, and then wean off very gradually using the bead counting method....where you remove a couple, or even one, bead per day or every other day.... Do you have enough on hand to do this? If not, can you get your doc to prescribe another month or two for you?

I can't speak to when/how in that process you'd begin adding in the Zoloft, so I'll leave that foe the others to explain....

Also, do you have something on hand to help with the anxiety while you are managing the withdrawal/cross over process? A benzo or maybe hydrocodone?

In the meantime, before the others chime in here, take a look at the "nutritional support" and "what's helping me" forums....you'll get lots of info on what you can do to ease the symptoms, etc....

Chelates magnesium and Epsom salt bath soaks help the muscle tingles and zaps....Epsom salts is another form of magnesium and can get to the muscles transdermally.....for the nausea, ginger ale, ginger tea, raw ginger, or even powdered ginger from your spic rac help....

You can do this!

FiveNotions you gave me such a lift in the way you replied, as did everyone,but had a bad start today awful thoughts kicking in. 

Any way makes me wonder where doc and pharmicist are getting there info from as seem to be singing from the same hym sheet? Still not happy with them though, doc said it could possibly be an element of hyperventalation and possibly not sudden drug switch, I didn't agree quite forcefully as I 'know' what it was !  I was on it for pretty much 12 months I'd say but never really felt anthing 'good' was happening if you know what I mean.  30mg for a short period then 60mg pretty quickly.  Been off the Cymbalta 2 weeks on Saturday so not going back on it again after that length of time and the Zoloft is 50mg (I also take Solpadol 30/500 for a back/shoulder problem and Atenelol for high bp), which I think is the starting dose, really hope it helps me.  I'm 42 nearly 43 by the way, been fighting Anxiety since I was child but on meds since I was about 18.  By the way to be clear I do know (now) I shouldn't have come straight off but I trusted the 'professionals' and they failed me, again.  I do have plenty of diazepam which if I want, not really what for in this case, but really feel this time (for some reason) I am coming to the end of a long road if this morning was anything to go by, as I can't carry on feeling like that/this after battling for so many years, a life, but not living, but guess thats just the way it goes sometimes.  I will hope and pray to the Lord tonight and see what tomorrow brings, good signs, I hope.

Thanks everyone, you take care now and thanks for stopping by.

Inajam

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

inajam, I just wrote you a long message ...hit the damn wrong button by mistake and poof ... gone ...

okay, a brief summary of what I wrote ...

don't wait until tonight to pray...pray now, pray constantly ...and ask your guardian angel to stay with you and help you ...that's what they're assigned to us to do! ;-)

the docs/pharmacists all say the same thing because the info they get is from the drug company sales reps...and the reps are trained to sell, sell,sell ....the drug cos pay bonuses to both the reps and the doctors based on the number of prescriptions written for each drug...Eli Lilly is one of the most evil cos in this regard....

Let yourself use the diazepam....and don't wait until the anxiety becomes overwhelming ...get it into your blood stream before that....the goal is to give your body the time, space and balance it needs to go through withdrawal and begin healing .... if you're worried about addiction, check in with us here ...Fishinghat esp. knows lots about benzos ...

You're already about half way to the 4 week mark in the cross over .... even tho Zoloft may not be kicked in fully, it's still going into your blood stream...and acting on the serotonin...you may not feel it, but I believe that it is helping to moderate the removal of Cymbalta ....which also acts on serotonin....one reason cold turkey is so hard, as it was for me, is that my body lost the artificial serotonin boost, hadn't yet learned to moderate it by itself, and had nothing else going into it to replace the lost serotonin....

Now, I'm going to post this quickly before I screw up again!

#7 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

inajam, I just wrote you a long message ...hit the damn wrong button by mistake and poof ... gone ...

okay, a brief summary of what I wrote ...

don't wait until tonight to pray...pray now, pray constantly ...and ask your guardian angel to stay with you and help you ...that's what they're assigned to us to do! ;-)

the docs/pharmacists all say the same thing because the info they get is from the drug company sales reps...and the reps are trained to sell, sell,sell ....the drug cos pay bonuses to both the reps and the doctors based on the number of prescriptions written for each drug...Eli Lilly is one of the most evil cos in this regard....

Let yourself use the diazepam....and don't wait until the anxiety becomes overwhelming ...get it into your blood stream before that....the goal is to give your body the time, space and balance it needs to go through withdrawal and begin healing .... if you're worried about addiction, check in with us here ...Fishinghat esp. knows lots about benzos ...

You're already about half way to the 4 week mark in the cross over .... even tho Zoloft may not be kicked in fully, it's still going into your blood stream...and acting on the serotonin...you may not feel it, but I believe that it is helping to moderate the removal of Cymbalta ....which also acts on serotonin....one reason cold turkey is so hard, as it was for me, is that my body lost the artificial serotonin boost, hadn't yet learned to moderate it by itself, and had nothing else going into it to replace the lost serotonin....

Now, I'm going to post this quickly before I screw up again!

FiveNotions

Its a shame you didn't get your original post through as I would have really like to have read it knowing how compassionate/ caring and genuine you come across.  It makes me angry when you describe the manufacturers like that, all about money an not a thought for the sufferers, I feel sad.  I'm a very caring peron and I immediately thought of all the others when I wrote that, I strangely enough I took your advice and prayed now (i'm a new Christian although have had some teething problems) and also took some diazepam aswell. 

I hope that the Zoloft starts to kick in and this evil poison, as I prayed, is driven out. I keep wondering what you wrote now!

Inajam

#8 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Inajam

The pharmaceutical companies are in business to make money, and that's no surprise. We need an advocate to emerge and do for drug consumers what Ralph Nader did for automobile consumers.

In the meantime, those of us who lost pieces of our lives and personalities do what we can to aid the newest victims of BigPharma.

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

Love it.....new Christian.... "Teething problems" ..... well, praying your way through cymbalta withdrawal will be an excellent way to cut those teeth!

Tee hee ;-)

ThisMoment, oh yeah.....wouldn't it be fun to see Nader rip into big pharma?!

PS this is the most caring and compassionate community of people I've ever encountered...ever been part of....I genuinely owe my life to them .... you fit right in! (We try to keep things relatively "non-denominational" here.....sort of like in the 12 step programs....but there is Spirit, Higher Power, whatever we call it, here in abundance.... and laughter galore....and tears of joy...and suffering....)

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

Inajam, as a young Christain God gives us events like this to help us keep life in perspective and build character. The book Lamentations as well as the book of Job shed light on this subject. You have all the strength you need in Christ just have faith and be patient. We are all here to help you with this experience. When it is over you will have a new found view of life, others, God and faith. Don't put too much pressure on yourself as this will make the withdrawal worse. Instead lean on the Comforter and have faith.

#11 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

Love it.....new Christian.... "Teething problems" ..... well, praying your way through cymbalta withdrawal will be an excellent way to cut those teeth!

Tee hee ;-)

ThisMoment, oh yeah.....wouldn't it be fun to see Nader rip into big pharma?!

PS this is the most caring and compassionate community of people I've ever encountered...ever been part of....I genuinely owe my life to them .... you fit right in! (We try to keep things relatively "non-denominational" here.....sort of like in the 12 step programs....but there is Spirit, Higher Power, whatever we call it, here in abundance.... and laughter galore....and tears of joy...and suffering....)

Yeah It would.  I'll do my best, but my mood at the moment is really low as well as the other effects :mellow: . you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned suffering coz thats what i feel i am going through and feel really sensitive to things people say, i.e. can take things the wrong way they were intended.  I am sorry but that light at the end of the tunnel is barely flickering right now and my depression seems to be stronger.  I don't like to make demands but if anyone felt like messaging me could I ask that they are partcularly sensitive in there comments please.  May the Lord/Almighty comfort me and rive out this poison from my body and soul. I am a new member and glad I found this site in a way people seem to want to help, but the positive feelings I should have are drowned by my dismay. I am sorry if I am bothering anybody but my emotions are so up and down.  Goodnight. :( :(

#12 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

Inajam, there are no "shoulds" in this process..... Just come here and be yourself....feel the way you really feel....vent...cry....we've all been there....I still break down regularly....and I have a very short temper....it's the brain and it's mixed up chemicals....trying to sort itself out and heal....the roller coaster ride from hell ......

It does fade....moderate...slow down.....just give yourself permission to feel like crap....because you do feel like crap....and that's why ThisMoment (I think) branded the poison "crapalta"......

Hang in there!

#13 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:24 AM

FiveNotions, I know what you mean, but when i express myself like that, its not how 'I' feel, its how the 'poison' is making me feel and its how I want to talk at that moment in time because of what it has done to me.  I just hope I can be changed back because i don't want and will not be anything other than what my'heavenly father' created and wished of me. I just want it to go away and sometimes I feel ike I do to because it won't :( I just want the old me back and demand it.  I have asked for, and others have offered/agreed to pray for me in the hope that divine interverntion may choose to help me. :(

By the way whenever I write something or even say things, I always/often feel like I might say something to offend someone (and I'd hate to do that because I don't think it is me as a person (I care too much about others to do that, just by having a different view for example), it isn't my intention, I know it might be silly but it is the way my mind works sometimes, annoyingly.  Listen to me waffling on....!

Thans again everyone, who either just reads or responds/offers any hope to me.

inajam 

#14 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hi inajam

I can so identify with how you are feeling! I understand the duality you are sensing in your brain at the moment- how you feel "the 'poison' is making . . ." you feel, and the concern that your brain may lurch out and say something that you didn't intend. Don't worry, it all gets better- but it takes some time.

I'm not a doctor, but what you are describing sounds like anxiety. Do you have anxiety medication?

You will be restored to peace, but it takes time. And with the switchover you are doing, it will probably be a few more weeks. Hang in there. If you think anxiety medication might help during this transition, perhaps consider that.

Take care!

#15 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

This moment,

i'm glad somemone undertsnads where i'm coming from, coz it it does my head in, quite literally. But its more to do with my anxiety of 'thinking' im saying the wrong the thing, the fact i'm even thinking like that is what really gets me down, and after all these years is getting harder to continue 'dealing' with or rather i'm not, because life just ain't improving for me.  Yes I do and have suffered with Anxiety related issues for over 20 + years (I thought I'd written about that on here, i may be wrong!) or more but like I said I seem to have tried everything without ever getting anywhere with my so called 'life', huh thats a joke in itself.  I've switched to Sertraline to help with me with my Generalised Anxiety Disorder - which seems to include Social Anxiety now as I aint inerested in nothing anymore - (which started this problem with getting off Cymbalta) I have Diazepam on hand.  Been off the Cymbalta and on the Sertraline 2 weeks tomorrow, Saturday.  My main anxiety medication is my Sertraline. 

I hope and pray I will have peace and contentment soon, because I can't carry on much longer :( :( .  42 years old and still no real life after 28 years and it ain't got better its got worse overall, and now this whole Cymbalta problem just when I thought I may be getting some normality!  I feel like swearing here but i'm not going to.

Thanks for writing and reading anyway those that have.

inajam

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Inajam, been there done that. The sertraline (generic Zoloft) has done well for me. Be aware it is 6 to 8 weeks to build it up to full strewngth so you will need some patience. Sertraline has a much longer half life than Cymbalta so be aware it's withdrawal has less of a punch but the same type of symptoms.

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

Inajam, you can and will get through this.....and your life has tremendous value and meaning.....

none of us here has had an easy life....each one of us knows depths of suffering and struggle that most people never encounter.....we are the survivors....and you are a survivor.....our "accomplishments" aren't the ones that are sought or recognized by the world....most likely, when we measure ourselves against the "successful" people in the world, we very likely fall far short....we have been/ are mothers, fathers, lawyers, doctors, social workers....successful in the world....yet we live with an internal, invisible wound that may never heal....our internal lives very often do not match what we present to the world....our real successes are to know and live with ...and within....this invisible suffering, to have become friends with it....and in the midst of that to have found joy, friendship, love and laughter....to have found what it means to be truly human....

here are some observations/experiences from my own early-mid days of cymbalta withdrawal and readjustment....

My thoughts and emotions were all tangled up, I wasn't able to tell the difference between the drug talking and the real me talking....I wasn't even sure there was a real me in there any more......

I couldn't tell if the anxiety/depression was the drug getting out of my system or a resurgence of what I'd had going on before the drug....

My life, as I looked at it, back on it....you know, reviewing where I'd started out, what I'd "accomplished," etc etc....all seemed like a mess, I felt awful about myself, my life....and I didn't know if this was the drug, or a valid self assessment....

I could go on and on...and I won't ...because to focus on this tangled mess, especially during withdrawal, doesn't contribute to healing...it feeds the darkness...it helps the tangled web to grow....to block out the light .....

While going through withdrawal, it is not the time to sort things out and try to self analyze....it is the time to just go through withdrawal...

Sometime during the first month of withdrawal, when I was unable to get out of bed, had to crawl on the floor to get to the bathroom, couldn't keep down anything but herb tea and broth....and was crazed mentally and emotionally.....I just plain gave up...gave up....I couldn't fathom it ever ending and there ever being a life for me....

I remember the exact moment in fact...I was in bed, weeping, clutching a pillow...and I just turned to the wall and cried out "God help me! I give up!" And I stopped fighting....just let the awfulness and illness wash over me, in me, around me....and instead of disappearing into it and being extinguished by it as I had expected...I found myself transported to a tiny, still and peaceful place....watching and feeling the withdrawal and the nightmare, but knowing that all that was not the real me...

Like being moved from the hurricane into the eye of the hurricane....I believe that is when I began to heal....

What I learned is this....Let go and let God....or Higher Power....or Healing Power...whatever we choose to call it....this healing process is an act of faith, hope and trust....that our brains and bodies and souls can and will heal....we can't demand anything....we can ask...and patiently wait.....demanding and setting a time limit do nothing but feed anxiety and suffering.....

Hold on, hang on.....you can and will come through this!

#18 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

fisinghat,  Im sure/i know you are trying to help me but with the way i am feeling right now I honestly dont know whether to feel any more positive or negative about your last post (i've not really and never have been in the know regarding the ins and outs of the drugs I put in my body, which sounds ridiculous to start with! feel stupid, should of known better, always been too trusting) I can't think what else to say?I

think I will keep myself to myself from now on I am getting too confused by everything, which makes me sound stupid aswell

inajam

#19 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

Inajam, please don't leave us, keep posting!

you have friends or family who know what you're going through? Or a therapist?

You aren't stupid and you don't sound stupid.

I deeply apologize if I've written too much and have overloaded you. Please forgive me!

#20 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

FiveNotions

You have done nothing to apologize for at all you have been great and are beacon of hope for me and are a real asset along with others to this group. im just finding everything very difficult, overwhelming in all sorts of ways if you like.  Nobody has been through what ''I am going through'' how could they? They are not me and i'm not them, only i know what its really like being me, i don't doubt for one moment that every single person on here has had there own personal nightmare, but only I know about mine and how painful,depressing, harrowing, scary and upsetting it has/is being, i could go on describing the trauma it and the diffrent meds have caused me.  Therein lies the problem I am struggling to cope with.  Yes i have family who care, i've seen specialists and have friends most of which have a very passing interest, but i have always been on my own generally, people aren't, on the surface really bothered, they probably would be if they new the truth behind the VERY good facade i put on, i'm or was a very good actor if i do say so myself, (even thats gone now coz i don't and haven't been out and about like i used to be for a long time, (social anxiety I think has sneaked in) and I don't have he slightest interest in doing so, unless I was how my maker designed me again.  I suppose, I find it really difficult receiving supportiveness and encouragement because i am JUST not used to it, quite often i'm alone with 'these wicked, nasty feelings of anxiousness and the thoughts that accompany them, tormenting me' through there control, (oh and of course when i'm going through a period of anxiety the post man always pops depression through the letterbox for good measure, how kind.   And, with me forever thinking why me and never seeing an end to it, ever, except maybe one day of my deciding (which for some reason has been creeping into my head a lot more recently) I wonder why that might be C.

Anyway thats me, probably on the wrong site and bothering the wrong people, I hope I haven't offended anyonet.

inajam

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

Inajam, I wasn't trying to discourage you. I am sorry if my post made you feel like pulling back. I just wanted you to be aware that these drugs will help you but it is a little slow. All you have to do is hang in there for a while. It does get better.

#22 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:10 AM

Anyway I'm still here.  If I am honest, I was kinda surprised I didn't get a response to my last message apart from from one, from fishinghat (which was appreciated).  I think it must have been due to the content and my focus more on my GAD issue than Cymbalta itself , which is what this forum is for after all or maybe another reason.  i am new to this 'forum' and ''talkin to others trying to help you situation'' and it doesn't help having terrible generalised anxiety disorder.

So, I think I will continue on my own with my struggle for a time or maybe look elsewhere for an answer.  I am not ungrateful and appreciate everyone who has read and an responded my posts.

Take care everyone.

inajam

#23 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

inajam

Each of us is alone in this struggle, and at best, a forum like this is a texting game of Marco Polo.

Perhaps your GAD medication is not doing its job, and maybe you need a different one. Anxiety is the first thing we need to knock down. If you can get the anxiety down and work with a therapist at the same time, I think that will work to settle you a great deal.

What do you need to make you feel you are on the right track to feeling better? What needs to change?

#24 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

Hi inajam, my delay in responding hasn't had anything to do with you....I just got caught up in life stuff....a job possibility appeared out of nowhere, and it's one I would love to have...I had to revise my resume, make phone call and connections and try to keep myself calm and healthy....I wasn't able to read the entire forum posts the way I typically do....

I'm sorry if this came across as directed at your postings...it's just me needing to find a job before the last of my savings runs out....now that's an anxiety I really don't want! ;-)

TM makes an excellent point......Dealing with your GAD may indeed be your first priority....rather than cymbalta.....

We're here for you! What do you need us to do? I certainly don't want to overwhelm you with info and suggestions you don't need...nor do I want you to leave us and stop posting!

Before I found this place, I had never ever talked about personal things with anyone other than a therapist....and it took me a while to feel comfortable here....I shared bits and pieces, sort of to "test the water".... Now, here is where my closest most intimate friends are....

Please stay"

#25 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

inajam

Each of us is alone in this struggle, and at best, a forum like this is a texting game of Marco Polo.

Perhaps your GAD medication is not doing its job, and maybe you need a different one. Anxiety is the first thing we need to knock down. If you can get the anxiety down and work with a therapist at the same time, I think that will work to settle you a great deal.

What do you need to make you feel you are on the right track to feeling better? What needs to change?

Hi this moment and thanks for replying

I feel very much alone and i can't escape that it todays society.  My GAD has developed over the years well before Cymbalta in fact I changed to Cymbalta in hope, and now Sertraline, again in hope that it will help me and my GAD/anxiety.  I'm caught between a rock and a ver hard place and have tried to therapy, hypnosis and counselling.

Thank you for trying to help but I really don't know where to go next apart from hope the Cymbalta poison leaves and the Sertraline meds step-up to the mark.

inajam

#26 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

Hi inajam, my delay in responding hasn't had anything to do with you....I just got caught up in life stuff....a job possibility appeared out of nowhere, and it's one I would love to have...I had to revise my resume, make phone call and connections and try to keep myself calm and healthy....I wasn't able to read the entire forum posts the way I typically do....

I'm sorry if this came across as directed at your postings...it's just me needing to find a job before the last of my savings runs out....now that's an anxiety I really don't want! ;-)

TM makes an excellent point......Dealing with your GAD may indeed be your first priority....rather than cymbalta.....

We're here for you! What do you need us to do? I certainly don't want to overwhelm you with info and suggestions you don't need...nor do I want you to leave us and stop posting!

Before I found this place, I had never ever talked about personal things with anyone other than a therapist....and it took me a while to feel comfortable here....I shared bits and pieces, sort of to "test the water".... Now, here is where my closest most intimate friends are....

Please stay"

Hi FiveNotions - As I said to TM, GAD was there well before the 'Cymbalta' issue, in fact I started with Panic attacks and then over the years it developed into more GAD/Social Anxiety (i'm sad when I think of what I used to be like :().  It wasn't your fault you had things going on in your life and I sincerely hope things work out for you personally.  Being anxious when someone doesn't reply to you straight away, in any situation, it makes me think its to do with me (thats how I react) so i'm sorry because its not your fault its mine for 'assuming'.  Then I had also wondered whether this was the right place for me coz it is about Cymbalta and I have, I believe longstanding complicated Anxiety issues, not just a withdrawal issue (which has been bad enough!) Anyway, I don't know where to go from here tbh I really don't, I am trying....but overall feel like i'm failing, as per usual.  I am often left wondering why has my life been blighted like this, feeling sorry for myself. It all seems like a fog now it has been that long since it all started some 30 years ago as a kid out of nowhere. 

I don't know if you or anyone on her can help me, or suggest anything that might help me, but I thank you all for trying and listening to me droning on and on.

We'll just have to see what happens, pray on it or have  to think on alternative things some more.  I get upset when I do, because I don't understand why i'm in that position.  I've talked to lots of people over the years but not one has ''really listened'' to me, thats part of the problem I need to fix maybe, i don't know.  Listen to me rambling on now, sorry.

Take care all, thanks, inajam

#27 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

Inajam, I think we might be able to help. You have put this on yourself for too long. We have dozens of active members with a world of experience. Put it on us a while. Most of us are not drs but we might be able to at least get you to a starting point. There is two ways to start out. We can try to address the symptoms or address the cause. You are not alone, lean on us.

You stated  "I'm caught between a rock and a ver hard place and have tried to therapy, hypnosis and counseling."  May I ask how many different psychiatrists and psychologists have you seen and can you give me an idea on what meds you have tried including supplements. I am not just nosey but have a purpose to these questions. Be patient and maybe we can help.

#28 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:14 AM

fishinghat - (I'm sure it isn't your intention, but my anxiety levels have increased because of you asking me these questions)  I hope you understand as, with respect, I don't know you at all, but i'm sharing personal information with you.  Also, because of my anxiety i need to know I can trust you, generally.  As you can maybe imagine, i have put my trust and faith in many people, and that was face to face, only ever to be let down :()  Please let me know you understand this and I haven't offended you please (thats my anxiety again) 

Anyway details below - You are right, you stated ''You have put this on youself for too long'', thats because it is and has always been that way, no one else would ever 'relieve me of it in anyway' things were also very different back then aswell (it was diagnosed as a phobia!!)  Like I said in previous posts i'm finding it very hard essentially, talking to 'strangers'.  I don't mean to be like that because I believe that 'people' on here genuinely want to help me and I am eternally grateful, (I hope they also understand).  For me because its online it has to be all about the words and manner used to make sure 'you' come across the right way, especially when talking to someone with deep rooted anxiety issues.  I think FiveNotions understands where I am coming from in this respect.  Sorry i'm waffling again...didn't mean too fishinghat !

I must have seen, guess work, but over 10-15 probably more as this (anxiety disorder) has been developing and transforming itself for over 30 years now. Meds is difficult but from memory, Anafranil, Seroxat, Beta blockers, Mirtazapine, Citalopram, Pregablin, Buspar, Cymbalta! and now Sertraline.  There are undoubtedly others in between I just can't remember them all right now.  Never used supplements really because of being on Meds.

There you go, I got there in the end! Thanks again for trying to help me. Have a good day.

inajam

#29 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

Inajam, I do understand your concerns about public providing of information and I will contact you by PM instead. I am certainly not offended by your response. I have lived with severe anxiety for a long time. I know how it feels. I can tell you I have been on this forum for nearly 2 years and if I didn't trust every single one on here I would not participate! Everyone 'held my hand' when I went through my withdrawal and I will do everything to help those who come after me if I can.

#30 inajam

inajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

fishinghat, thats reassuring about all others on 'here' so thanks.  As you are aware of what I am going through and therefore very familiar with the communication 'issues's that can accompany them, I am happy for you to use your discrection when either PM'ing me or putting it in the public domain.  I certainly don't want something/anything that could be useful to someone else to be missed because of this.  I'm sure understand and any help you or others can provide will be very welcome I assure you!

Kind regards

inajam

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users