#181 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Limbo

Your emotions are starting to re-bloom too! Hang in there.

#182 Limbo

Limbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

I totally agree. 

Thismoment, you seem to have an 'observer of self' outlook - what type of meditation style do you follow? Do you blog at all? I'd be curious to read some of your writings.

I'm trained in Vipassana, however, after doing too much of it at a 10 day retreat, I felt like I became completely detached from self and spiraled into a very deep depression. Somehow I repressed emotion rather than feeling it and letting it pass, even though my very intention was to feel whatever arose and let it bubble to the surface. Do you think it's possible to meditate enough that you feel as though nothing matters anymore? I didn't feel liberated by that realization, I felt "deadened" by it.

Hey, maybe I should start a new thread about meditation and depression?

#183 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Limbo

I do sparing Mindfulness meditation which is Vipassana-based. Although, I am convinced that a joyful half-hour of hopscotch with your 6-year-old is far more satisfying, more joyful in-the-moment, and fundamentally more beneficial long-term.

We are physical creatures first, and movement is what we do. The link between physical exertion, the wind on your face, the chase/the embrace, and the flow of dopamine is undeniable. Dopamine makes our world go around, and movement turns on its tap. Movement is more exhilarating with another, especially a special other with whom you connect. Connection is the healing mind state: family, your other, the community. You can be so connected that separation hurts, but re-connection is sublime, intoxicating, and healing.

I really don't know what to make of the contemplative who spends decades in a cave listening to air going in and out of his lungs. It seems to lead to more of the same. We've heard there may be the payoff of enlightenment, but nobody knows anybody who's enlightened in that way, so nobody knows what it  means. I just don't believe in sitting for wisdom, but I do believe in the joy of movement, fraternity, and love. Perhaps sex is the ultimate union of movement and connection.

I don't blog, but I enjoy my time here.

#184 Limbo

Limbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Very good point worth thinking about. 

Movement is so important, and yet sometimes the first thing I want to do is hide under the blankets and not move a limb. 

I can't understand why so often I like or crave to do things that are not good for me. 

#185 smacoy1973

smacoy1973

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Ok...it's been a week since I've been completely off cymbalta. Had a good bit of dizziness and nausea. Even having the brain zapps. I know that those things are going to get better with time, but I'm having a really hard time with irritability! I know it's PMS, and that is Not going to go away. I was no where near this bad when I was on cymbalta. I had to take my 5 year old to my moms today, bc I literally could not handle her any longer today. She was doing the normal 5 year old things like talking in church and laying all over me, but I was just so mad that I was scared I was going to hurt her. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what helps with PMS when not on antidepressants? My family is too important to me to have to go through this once a month with me. Of course, as soon as I got back home from my moms, I regretted taking her and have cried. She's fine, though! She loves my moms and doesn't want to come home. I just don't want to go through this!!

#186 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Gosh, smacoy, I wish I could suggest something ... but I was one of the few women I know who never had PMS ... and I went through menopause at 36 ... had one hot flash, and that was it ... my mom was the exact same way ...

#187 smacoy1973

smacoy1973

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

You are very blessed, FiveNotions! Thank you for your reply, though.😊

#188 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

Hi smacoy, I found this article, listing/discussing some alternatives for PMS ... and yes, low serotonin levels are related to increased PMS ... are you taking the basic supplements listed ?

http://www.lef.org/p...syndrome_05.htm

#189 smacoy1973

smacoy1973

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:40 PM

Thank you so much, FiveNotions!! I take a couple of those, but will definitely start adding more of those to the mix. Thanks, again!

#190 Kim12

Kim12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Just started coming off 60 mg.  The doctor gave me 20 mg to take and said to take the 60's every other day for about a week and then take the 20's and try to alternate those.  I alternated 2 days with the 60, then went to 20 for 2 consecutive days, and today I haven't taken anything.  I guess I should have tried it her way, however the severity of the withdrawal symptoms I am having are making me even more resolute in getting this stuff out of my system as soon as possible.  But then I read it can take upwards to a year for it to be completely out of my system?  That makes me want to cry.  

#191 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hi Kim, welcome! I'm glad you found us, we'll do our best to help you get off this stuff!

First, your doc is a jackass ... (is she a shrink or a regular doc? .... she put you right into hard withdrawal with that alternating days / doses idiocy ....and now you've been 2 days off it altogether ... bead counting is the sensible way to do it ... I know, cuz I quit cold turkey, like you .... and I was sick as a dog ...

What withdrawal effects are you having right now?

Do you have enuf of the 60 mg on hand (or a refill) that you can hop back on it immediately, get yourself stable, and use the bead counting method to wean your self off? (You could even take 3 of the 20 mg, to make the 60)

I'll let the others here who've done the bead counting explain the details to you ... I just wish I'd found this forum before I was so far into the cold turkey withdrawal that it was pointless to turn back!

Reducing slowly, over a longer period of time, will minimize the effects ... and, if you need to, at any point, you can stay at a particular level until the symptoms stabilize ...

Do you have anything on hand, like a benzo, to manage the anxiety that often comes along with weaning?

A few questions that'll be helpful to us ... How long were you on it? For what diagnosis (depression, fibro, anxiety etc.) ... Were you taking a different ssri before Cymbalta? And, are you taking other meds now?

Stay with us, and keep us posted!

#192 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

Welcome, Kim!

I echo everything that FN said before me as I also did this cold turkey - been off for 8 months now.  Still having anxiety and sleep problems but definitely better than the first 3 or 4 months! 

Please check out the bead counting - it will be so much more gentle and keep your withdrawal symptoms to a minimum - believe me, you don't want to do this cold turkey!

You will love all the caring, supportive people here - and you will gain much knowledge from some of our

"older" (by that I mean have been on here longer) members!

Good luck and please keep us posted as to your progress!

Liz

#193 Kim12

Kim12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

I do have enough 60's and I am going back to her tomorrow for blood work.  My OB put me on it a few years ago to deal with general anxiety-I didn't want to take stuff daily, I only wanted something for when my anxiety goes into an infinite loop.  I had taken Paxil (that was a beast to come off)  many years ago and swore I would never go back on anything but she assured me there were no side effects.  My new doctor did say I would have withdrawals-I just really didn't expect it to be as bad as this.  Brain zaps, feeling out of balance, and mood swings from crying to wish I could rip someone's head off.  I'm 48 and perimenopausal too.  Yay me!  

I just opened up one of the 60's-wow those are some tiny beads!  How do you count?

Thanks and I am so glad to have this outlet to express these frustrations.

Kim

#194 smacoy1973

smacoy1973

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

Hi, Kim!! Definitely do the bead counting! It took me around 40 days, but I had hardly any symptoms until I was completely off and they were very mild. I've been off for about two weeks and other than a little emotional, it's been pretty easy. I was having PMS issues (well really ovulation issues-severe irritability) but coping with those and realizing that those are normal issues. I honestly feel like I have the old me back. I've been on and off antidepressants for the past 14 years. I never knew how much they took out of my life. I actually "care" about doing things now. I'm starting to eat healthier and even keeping my house cleaner. I hope and pray that I never have to take anything again. I'm praying that you have an easy transition off this terrible stuff! Don't give up!! You are made for more than this!!! You can do it!!

#195 Kim12

Kim12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

It was rough last night.  I got in bed around 9 after taking a 10 mg melatonin and it was probably after midnight before I was able to sleep.  Got up and paced and cried for awhile until I finally took a 20 mg cymbalta.  Heading to the doctor for blood work and to get more 20's.

#196 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hi Kim, yeah, that was a rough night, for sure  ... sleep patterns can get totally wacked out during the first part of withdrawal. I'm glad you took the 20 mg ... it doesn't kick in soon enuf to get you to sleep, but it'll definitely be a start towards getting stabilized ....

So, in addition to getting a benzo to help with anxiety, you might want to consider also getting something to help you with sleep ...

One possibility is that you went to bed too early, and would have an easier time if you shift to a later bedtime.

For example, while on the stuff, I could easily sleep from 9 pm to 11 am the next day ...14 hours straight, and with amazing dreams (all good, lots of flying, etc.). Now that I'm off it, I need just 7-8 hours a night, and my dreams are mostly normal and boring (I miss the Cymbalta dreams!) At first that totally weirded me out, because I had more hours in my awake day than I knew what to do with!

Also, when you say you're going to get more of the 20's from your doc, does that mean you're going to stick it out at that dose and count down from there, rather than go back up to the full dose and count down?

#197 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

Something you might consider Kim is when you go see the dr, ask for a prescription for hydroxyzine. It is not only a good anxiety drug but an excellent sleep aide. The standard prescription most drs give is 25 mg at 8 AM and again at 4 PM (this helps with the day time anxiety) and then 50 mg at bedtime. It takes about 30 minutes to kick in. The best thing is that there is no withdrawal from this medicine!!! It really helped me during my withdrawal.

#198 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

FH, does the 25 mg hydroxyzine at 8 am cause any drowsiness/fogginess? I may need to give it a try, because the clonidine, which doesn't make me drowsy (it did at first) is terrific for the adrenaline dump type of anxiety I get, is causing my bp to run too low.

#199 Kim12

Kim12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

Yes, I am going to taper using the 20's instead of the 60's-at least that is my plan now.  She gave me 10 mg Ambien at my first appointment to help me sleep because I was not resting at night, but I find that while I may sleep better, it takes way too long for me to recover from it in the mornings-I haven't tried to half the pill yet, but may tonight if I have issues again. 

I see the doctor next week to go over my blood work and I will ask about the hydroxyzine.  She had mentioned Effexor instead of the Cymbalta, but from what I read, that is going from one evil to another, so I am going to tell her no and that instead I just need something for anxiety when it hits.  I didn't see her today, but I have enough of the 20's to last until next week.  

Since I took a 20 last night, I am going to hold off today and see how I feel.  If I start to feel out of sorts, I will take one.  So far no significant symptoms.  

Thank you all for being so supportive.  I find it difficult to talk about mostly because it's kind of hard to put words to it to the average person, like my husband.  He just grabs me and holds me when I flip out haha! 

#200 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

FH, does the 25 mg hydroxyzine at 8 am cause any drowsiness/fogginess? I may need to give it a try, because the clonidine, which doesn't make me drowsy (it did at first) is terrific for the adrenaline dump type of anxiety I get, is causing my bp to run too low.

Just like the clonidine there is some drowsiness (minimal at 25 mg) at first but that usually fades after a week or so. Hydroxyzine also can lower bp but not as much as clonidine. For myself, clonidine does not affect my bp. Go figure.

#201 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

If you are taking any benzos I would not recommend Ambien as it makes the benzos more addictive sooner.

You are definitely right about the effexor (commonly called-'side effexor') being a swap of one eveil for another. I also agree about just getting something for the anxiety.

God bless and hang in there.

#202 BJnFL

BJnFL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale, Florida

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hello all. New to this forum - but not to Cymbalta or "discontinuation syndrome." This site appears to be about the only place anyone can get CURRENT information or advice about this drug. Seems to me like the significant problems with withdrawal and long term use just aren't being discussed or researched - frankly, the drug companies and, seemingly, alot of doctors, just don't give a damn. Guess when tons of money are going into your pockets for touting this "wonder drug", well, money is what matters, right?  <_<

I will try to make my Cymbalta story as short as possible. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2002 - spent years looking for a treatment that worked.  Then, in 2009, I was diagnosed with syringomyelia (a syrinx/cyst at cervical spine level C6-7 causing a laundry list of symptoms, including severe daily headaches and other neuralgia-related problems). My neurologist was very excited about putting me on Cymbalta. I was willing to try anything...

So, I started on Cymbalta and found almost instant (within a few days) partial relief from my pain. Partial was plenty as I had been living with pain for many years. The side effects were few and lasted only a couple of weeks (except for mild weight gain, constipation and NO sex drive, all of which I still experience). I thought I had found my miracle.

Then, a few months later, I went away for a week, and forgot the Cymbalta. Luckily I was on vacation, so my job was not initially affected. I was sorta devastated by the severe withdrawal symptoms - I had not had any inkling that this medication would cause "addiction".  I decided within the first week to just stick it out - I didn't want to ever take this stuff again. It took about 2 months, but finally I felt free - except the pain had come back with a vengeance.

After that, my doctors put me first on Lyrica and then on Savella. Both medications made me irritable, extreme anger (I am NOT an angry person AT ALL) - they were both terrible. So, I couldn't take those medications in my search for some relief. I can't/won't take narcotics, I can't take anti-inflammatories...you get the point.

So, my doctor suggested I try Cymbalta again and I did. That was four years ago and a couple of insurance problems ending up in severe withdrawals, and then back on it. My doctor just doesn't seem to understand. I sound like a drug addict when I call about my prescription - "please give me some samples until my annual "OK" from my insurance comes through" or "I HAVE to have my medication."

I try to make sure I take it every day, but sometimes life situations just get in the way or you just forget 'cause your routine is interrupted (like last night). And then your doctor and the pharmacy treat you like a heroin addict.... (That isn't completely fair, just this past month my pharmacist notified me of a drug interaction for prescription "Benadryl" (was going to take for a cold - so maybe some people are starting to pay attention.)

The longer I am on this medication, the less it seems to help, and the quicker the withdrawal symptoms begin. I have been in a "flare" of fibromyalgia for several months now, and I feel pretty much like I did before I started taking this stuff. I desperately want to be free of this recurring nightmare. As I said, I forgot to take "my Cymbalta" last night and am having brain zaps, dizziness, headache, nausea - and extremely upset stomach (Cymbalta gives me constipation and when I haven't taken it, my digestive system goes into overload) - and it used to be that it would take at least a day or 2 before I started feeling the symptoms, but now, within 12 hours I KNOW I forgot. So then I take the pills (I take 90mg per day) but now, I continue with withdrawals for several hours, PLUS, I get the "initial" side effects worse than when I first started for a couple of days and just generally feel terrible. I get so confused and dizzy and irritable - one time when I didn't have any meds because of my insurance company, I woke up in the morning and hardly even knew who I was, where I was, it was horrific. I am terrified of stopping but I want to more than I've ever wanted anything. I am so concerned about the long term effects and can't find any real information about what it is probably doing to me having taken such a large dose for so long. My doctor didn't tell me about ANY of the drug contradications (http://www.drugs.com...e,cymbalta.html) - even the ones on the insert - and he "poo-poos" me when I try to talk to him about it. He just says - "well don't forget." I want a new doctor because he didn't give me all of the facts or that he touted this medication to me and didn't really know much about it. (Yes, I read the insert - that useless piece of paper is a joke - it plays down the withdrawals and drug interactions so much it should be criminal.) But a new doctor is another story.... 

OK, so much for short. I am sorry - its just that I have been searching for a real solution to getting off of this stuff without losing my job (I am my household's sole support) or thinking that just dying would be better than suffering through weeks of Cymbalta hell. I see my doctor next week and want to offer my own suggestions to the best way to detox after so much time, because something tells me he will just not know.

Thanks so much to anyone who reads my rant. This site and your regular contributors are a port in a storm.

#203 BJnFL

BJnFL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

Ok...it's been a week since I've been completely off cymbalta. Had a good bit of dizziness and nausea. Even having the brain zapps. I know that those things are going to get better with time, but I'm having a really hard time with irritability! I know it's PMS, and that is Not going to go away. I was no where near this bad when I was on cymbalta. I had to take my 5 year old to my moms today, bc I literally could not handle her any longer today. She was doing the normal 5 year old things like talking in church and laying all over me, but I was just so mad that I was scared I was going to hurt her. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what helps with PMS when not on antidepressants? My family is too important to me to have to go through this once a month with me. Of course, as soon as I got back home from my moms, I regretted taking her and have cried. She's fine, though! She loves my moms and doesn't want to come home. I just don't want to go through this!!

It is probably NOT PMS - unless you were like that before you started taking Cymbalta. The withdrawals make me almost homicidal. Forgot to take last night and I am so angry at nothing and everything even though I took my missed dose a couple of hours ago. Don't even want to be in my own head! If it IS PMS - it will go away after you get your period.

Try not to think about what your head is telling you too much, keep reminding yourself it is "discontinuation syndrome", and distract yourself with something you like or have a good cry when you can't take yourself anymore.  Also, tell your mother and your daughter and anyone else you need to that you are having a medication reaction and not to take you too seriously. Hopefully, you will be better in a few days.

#204 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Welcome BJFL,

What an ordeal. So many of use here can identify with your situation.

Your best bet to come off Cymbalta without too much effect on your job is bead counting.

Bead counting, is where you open the cymbalta capsule each day and remove a few beads, usually 2 or 3. So the first day you remove 3 beads, the next day 6 beads, the next 9 beads etc. This provides for a slow steady withdrawal. If symptoms get to bad you just hold at that dosage for a while until you stabilize. Then start dropping again. Be aware that for most the last few beads give the worse withdrawal. Be prepared to slow down when you get to the very end. Now this is just an example. Some can only remove 1 bead a day and others 7 or 8 beads a day. You will have to play with it a little bit to find what works for you. This doesn't mean you won't have withdrawal but it will be lighter and you will have some control over it.

Others on this site have went as low as removing 1 bead a day in order to deal with a job, etc.

As to your situation with pain. Several people have had good success using ACV (apple cider vinegar). It has been shown to reduce fibro and back pain. Usually it is not a cure but can be a large help. My wife has had several back surgeries and she takes ACV every day. It has reduced the pain by 25%. The fibro patients I know report 25 to 75% improvement. To be honest I know some that it didn't help as well. The ONLY ACV that has been shown to help is Bragg's ACV. It is the only one on the market that is unfiltered and unpasteurized. The dose is 2 teaspoons in a cup of water once a day. Some add honey or sugar to help the taste. In the event it upsets your stomach you can try malic acid/magnesium tablets (The active ingredients in ACV).

God bless and keep us posted.

#205 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

BJ, excellent advice! And welcome to the forum!

I really like what you said about just telling people you're having a "medication reaction" ... that's something vague, yet sufficiently specific that people sort of fill in the blanks with an image they're comfortable with, and are okay with that ... trying to convey what this experience is really like to someone who's never "been there, done that" is absolutely impossible ... and futile.

Now, back to you and how to get you off the stuff ... just to confirm ... you're on it for fibro and related pain, but not for depression? And am I correct that your current dose is 90 mg, at night? Is it the brand or the generic, duloxetine?

Are you currently taking any other meds, if so for what conditions?

You've got a family to support, a job to keep, and some significant health issues to manage ... so, the only way for you to get off this stuff is to use the bead counting method ... and go slowly, very slowly ...
I quit cold turkey, as did TryingInFL and several others of us here ... and, if given the chance, we sure wouldn't do it that way again. I'll leave the details on how to wean by bead counting to others here who did it that way and can explain from knowledge and experience.

Keep checking back, our "bead counters" will be arriving shortly and will have more to say on this ...

#206 BJnFL

BJnFL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

Welcome BJFL,

What an ordeal. So many of use here can identify with your situation.

Your best bet to come off Cymbalta without too much effect on your job is bead counting.
Bead counting, is where you open the cymbalta capsule each day and remove a few beads, usually 2 or 3. So the first day you remove 3 beads, the next day 6 beads, the next 9 beads etc. This provides for a slow steady withdrawal. If symptoms get to bad you just hold at that dosage for a while until you stabilize. Then start dropping again. Be aware that for most the last few beads give the worse withdrawal. Be prepared to slow down when you get to the very end. Now this is just an example. Some can only remove 1 bead a day and others 7 or 8 beads a day. You will have to play with it a little bit to find what works for you. This doesn't mean you won't have withdrawal but it will be lighter and you will have some control over it.

Others on this site have went as low as removing 1 bead a day in order to deal with a job, etc.

As to your situation with pain. Several people have had good success using ACV (apple cider vinegar). It has been shown to reduce fibro and back pain. Usually it is not a cure but can be a large help. My wife has had several back surgeries and she takes ACV every day. It has reduced the pain by 25%. The fibro patients I know report 25 to 75% improvement. To be honest I know some that it didn't help as well. The ONLY ACV that has been shown to help is Bragg's ACV. It is the only one on the market that is unfiltered and unpasteurized. The dose is 2 teaspoons in a cup of water once a day. Some add honey or sugar to help the taste. In the event it upsets your stomach you can try malic acid/magnesium tablets (The active ingredients in ACV).

God bless and keep us posted.

BJ, excellent advice! And welcome to the forum!

I really like what you said about just telling people you're having a "medication reaction" ... that's something vague, yet sufficiently specific that people sort of fill in the blanks with an image they're comfortable with, and are okay with that ... trying to convey what this experience is really like to someone who's never "been there, done that" is absolutely impossible ... and futile.

Now, back to you and how to get you off the stuff ... just to confirm ... you're on it for fibro and related pain, but not for depression? And am I correct that your current dose is 90 mg, at night? Is it the brand or the generic, duloxetine?

Are you currently taking any other meds, if so for what conditions?

You've got a family to support, a job to keep, and some significant health issues to manage ... so, the only way for you to get off this stuff is to use the bead counting method ... and go slowly, very slowly ...
I quit cold turkey, as did TryingInFL and several others of us here ... and, if given the chance, we sure wouldn't do it that way again. I'll leave the details on how to wean by bead counting to others here who did it that way and can explain from knowledge and experience.

Keep checking back, our "bead counters" will be arriving shortly and will have more to say on this ...

Thanks FiveNotions and fishinghat!

Happy to put my 2 cents in if my experiences can help someone else.

The bead-reducing method makes so much sense. I am going to start on Friday, just in case I have any difficulty, I won't have to go to work for a couple of days. 

I have tried ACV, fishinghat, thank you  :) . Unfortunately, I have one of those stomachs that can't stomach anything. But - I haven't tried Bragg's - so I am going to look it up and see if it helps me.  Anything (including the pain or a stomach ache) is better than Cymbalta!  

As to your questions:

You're on it for fibro and related pain, but not for depression? And am I correct that your current dose is 90 mg, at night? Is it the brand or the generic, duloxetine?  Yes - fibro and pain from a spinal cord disorder, not depression - I don't even think it would have worked for me for depression, never noticed a "better" mood!; 90mg usually take at night; using the generic for about 6 months (whenever it came out).

Are you currently taking any other meds, if so for what conditions? I sometimes take Soma for muscle spasms related to fibro but not regularly. Otherwise, nothing else except a multi-vitamin. Unfortunately, me and medications don't usually get along too well, which is why I initially was thrilled with Cymbalta. Not so much anymore!

I cannot thank you all enough, really. I feel like there is a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

#207 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

BJ, good idea to start Friday, so you've got the weekend to see how it goes ...

About the generic ... is there any chance that the generic is causing you additional problems? I had a hellish reaction to just one dose of it last December (part of the reason I quit), and others here have had problems as well.

Also, the generics have a different number of beads in them than the brand, which makes the calculation on counting down different. You're going to need to open one of yours and count the little critters ... and let us know how many you've got .. FH and ThisMoment will have to help you deal with the bead count thing ..

And, FH will confirm this, but he can't take the ACV (Bragg's) either .. so he takes malic acid in pill form.. what type, I don't recall.

#208 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

"I have tried ACV, fishinghat, thank you  :) . Unfortunately, I have one of those stomachs that can't stomach anything. But - I haven't tried Bragg's - so I am going to look it up and see if it helps me.  Anything (including the pain or a stomach ache) is better than Cymbalta!  "

If regular ACV caused stomach aches then there is no sense in trying the Braggs. It is even stronger but you might consider taking the malic acid/magnesium tablets for your fibro.

As far as the generic the bead counting method depends on how many beads in your capsule. Some have 200 beads others 6 big beads. Open a capsule and count and let us know how many are inside.

#209 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:52 PM

BJnFL

Welcome.

"The longer I am on this medication, the less it seems to help, and the quicker the withdrawal symptoms begin."

The Cymbalta has pooped out and you're pretty much at max dosage. Also the short half-life of 12 hours has developed a sharp edge which likely means you need to up the daily dosage. The choices are few: you either have to up the dosage, change medication, or come off Cymbalta. I agree with FN and FH who has outlined a sensible regimen for coming off-- let the symptoms be your guide with regard to how fast you wean; if symptoms are strong, slow down or even level off for some days until you stabilize. If I were weaning off again I would not plan a weaning-off time less than 6 months (but I would probably opt for a full year).

Speaking only for myself, my first choice for pain would be opioids. They have been with our species from the beginning, and do not physically alter the brain the same way SS/SNRIs do. Yes of course they are addictive, but addiction has no meaning when it comes to stopping pain-- I've been in pain and I've been pain-free on opioids and one is clearly better than the other. At the end of your life nobody will judge what strategy you used to enhance your quality of life.

You've been exposed for moderate-to-long term, and your discontinuation will be a struggle if you go too fast. Take your time. If your capsule has 300 beads in it, take out one extra bead a day and be done in 300 days-- that's an easy count, and you'll be relatively symptom-free. If you have a generic with fewer beads, you may have to take out one more bead every two or three weeks to make it go the length of time you have selected.

Seek appropriate medication for your pain (and anxiety if you have that). This weaning project is a very serious and honourable endeavour. This is your life, and nobody is judging you.

Take care.

#210 Kim12

Kim12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

I am trying to do it too fast.  I can see this now.  

I will count my beads tonight-I have the generic.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users