#31 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,079 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

Thank you so much Gardenlady for the kind words. In hind sight I think maybe the good Lord put me through that Cymbalta withdrawal experience so I would be better able to help others. With my anxiety I lead a quite life (which is OK with me, lol). This website offers me a way to fill a need and to feel of some value in life. It has helped my self esteem considerably plus there has been so many gifted dedicated people on this site over the years I just had to pick up where they left off.

Thanks again.

#32 gardenlady

gardenlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

Not sure why I'm posting except that I don't have anything else to do...and...the Thanksgiving holiday is making me depressed since I'll be spending it alone for the first time in my 65 years.  

I cut to 1.67 mg valium tonight.  I'm feeling very sad and weepy, but I think it's mostly due to loneliness vs withdrawal.  

#33 gail

gail

God-like

• Site Supporter
  • 4,209 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, never felt good.
    Needed understanding and support, and a place where I was not alone. To read others stories and realizing that I was not the only one going through all that crap.
    In hope that one day, I can return the favors in some kind of way.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:36 AM

Hello Garden Lady,

You are at the right place for sure.and you're not alone. I we only knew the number of people all around the Earth that feel that way. It makes me sad. Loneliness and fear about what's to come next, how to manage to do simplest things that require so much courage specially when you are alone. Lucky me, I have 3 wonderful men in my life to support and help me. Deep down, I feel alone just the same at times, the thing is that they are not God and nobody can fill this gap!

Garden Lady, I'm also tapering the Valium! In the last weeks, I have been holding still. Too many things are wrong at the moment concerning my health.I don't want to add oil to the fire.

I'm up since midnight, the back pain is excruciating. It took a while to figure out how to manage that pain. I go into a kind of panic mode when this happens, it reminds me of the pain I had before the surgery. The oncologist thinks that the disease is coming back, just a possibility.

Friday is an emergency Scan. Something is going on inside my body. My suitcase is ready if it comes to that. This is only the fourth day of extreme pain and prior to this, I had a six day long night fever. Yes, I'm tired. As for the fever, many blood tests were made to find out where infection was located. To no avail. 50% of the time, they can't find out.

Rambling on and on. You have given me the chance to do this by writing your post, so thank you Garden Lady! As you see, you are not alone in all this. With love, Gail

#34 gardenlady

gardenlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:20 PM

Gail, Goodness....I had no idea you were suffering so badly....and that you had cancer!  I'm so very, very sorry.  And now this excruciating pain, fever on top of benzodiazepine withdrawal!  How wonderful that you have the three men in your life to help and support you...as you need it so desperately.   If you are ever up for it, I'd be interested to know more about your story.  

How much valium are you on and how are you tapering?  Are you on other psych meds?  I hope I'm not being too nosey....just concerned and interested.  I hope you'll let me know how your scan on Friday goes if you feel up to it.  I'm praying for you, sweet Gail, that God will heal you and relieve you of your pain. On this eve of Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for you and fishinghat.  Sending my love your way. 

#35 gardenlady

gardenlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:31 PM

How long after jumping off of valium do I need to wait to restart my Cymbalta taper?  I'm down to 1.31 mg valium now and if I keep up the current rate, I should be finished by Jan 16.  

Since Cymbalta capsules have varying numbers of beads in them even within the same prescription bottle, how can you take out x number of beads per day?  I counted beads in my Teva brand 60 mg capsules and they all had varying numbers.  The average was 315 beads.  Just wondering how this bead-removal method works in this situation.

I tried to decrease from 48 mg Cymbalta to 46.5 mg using the bead-weighing method in October and it was horrible...I was a shaking, nervous wreck with akathisia and anxiety off the charts.  I lasted only one day and had to go back to 48 mg. It took me 2 weeks to recover just from that one-day tiny drop.  Of course, I was tapering valium so my CNS was/is unstable.  But, I'm scared that it won't ever be stable enough again for me to taper the Cymbalta.  Any advice?  

#36 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • 7,079 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

I would wait 2 months before starting the Cymbalta withdrawal after finishing the valium. Research on benzo withdrawal suggests that it takes your nerves and brain up to 2 years to fully recover from a benzo withdrawal that is why they suggest not using another benzo for at least 2 years after coming off a benzo. With what I have seen with other members 2 months provides enough time for most.  A 48 to 46.5  mg drop is approximately a 2.5% drop of your original dose and we normally suggest not to exceed 1% and that is without going through valium withdrawal at the same time. Unluckily with the variation in the number of beads with Teva you have little choice but to use the weight method. I would suggest  to try dropping about 0.5 mg each time. I think that without the valium withdrawal it shouldn't be so bad. Of course most of this is based on my experiences with myself and other members over the years and is not written in stone but hopefully it may give you a starting point.

#37 gardenlady

gardenlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

Thanks, FH.  How long between each cut of 1% do you recommend?  I'm afraid it'll take years to get off this stuff at this rate and I've been agitated ever since I started taking it.  I dread having to feel this way for a very long time. 

#38 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • 7,079 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

There may not be a choice GL. Some  can come off the stuff in a couple months and some take a couple years. All you can do is go as fast as your body allows.

I always say no more than 1% per day at the most. For some it has been as slow as 0.2% per day. Start at the !% and then listen to your body. Slow down or speed up from there depending as your body can handle it. Don't be afraid to stop for a couple of weeks and let your body catch up if you need to.

Time and patience.

#39 gail

gail

God-like

• Site Supporter
  • 4,209 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, never felt good.
    Needed understanding and support, and a place where I was not alone. To read others stories and realizing that I was not the only one going through all that crap.
    In hope that one day, I can return the favors in some kind of way.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

Gail, Goodness....I had no idea you were suffering so badly....and that you had cancer!  I'm so very, very sorry.  And now this excruciating pain, fever on top of benzodiazepine withdrawal!  How wonderful that you have the three men in your life to help and support you...as you need it so desperately.   If you are ever up for it, I'd be interested to know more about your story.  

How much valium are you on and how are you tapering?  Are you on other psych meds?  I hope I'm not being too nosey....just concerned and interested.  I hope you'll let me know how your scan on Friday goes if you feel up to it.  I'm praying for you, sweet Gail, that God will heal you and relieve you of your pain. On this eve off Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for you and fishinghat.  Sending my love your way.

Oh GardenLady, I'm so sorry, I had not seen your post. Just did.

All has been back to normal in the last seven or nine days. The fever was caused by the chemo pill so they lowered it by half. Pain was neuropathic. I really thought that the metastasis we're back and kind of munching on my spine. I was sure. Scared me half to death.

The scan reveiled nothing other than the other scan taken five or six months ago. Meaning that I have stabilized. Thank God! What a relief. What goes through the mind at those times...you can't imagine.

To bring you up to date, last year, the removed my left kidney. I was cured, but they didn't know that since the surgery, the cancer had spread to my spine...I was in pain since last March, they could not find anything wrong on the scans. And in June, that was a fluke, the scan showed a vertebra, a real sick one. The other scans stopped right below this one...so it was a fluke! A lucky one! And not a pretty picture.

Emergency surgery, because I was on the verge of paralizing. Fusion of five vertebras.

Back to your questions. I went from 20.6 Valium, and now to nine tenth of 10mg. I just cut it since they have it in 2mg. Have stopped tapering since the fever. I should be back at it this week end.

Psych meds. Paxil 20 mg. Which I don't know if they work since they began giving me gabapentin for neuropathic pain in July, all anxiety vanished. They also gave me hydromorphone for the pain, depression vanished. Still on it, I would say low dosages twice a day.i must add that I have suffered from both in more than 10 years. My doctor agrees that if it is what it takes to make feel "normal", go for it. We've tried everything under the sun in the last 4years.

So GardenLady, this is my story! Your prayers are greatly appreciated, thank you.
I'm bushed, will have supper, then the friendly bed awaits. Love to you, Gail xxx

#40 gardenlady

gardenlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:08 PM

FH, Do people do this daily micro taper that you suggest with a scale?  If so, that means I'd have to weigh my dose everyday which concerns me as the scale isn't very reliable and I wonder about the accuracy with cuts this small.  Currently, I weigh a month's worth of capsules at once so there is less variability as I'm weighing them all at one sitting.  But, turning the scale off and on affects consistency...these are cheap scales and you get what you pay for.  

The only other way I see to do this is to count beads, but it is so tedious at the dose I'm on.  All the generic brands have varying numbers of beads in them so you have to get an average and then count the exact number to put back into each capsule.  Honestly, my eyes aren't good enough to do that everyday not to mention how tedious it it with such a huge number of beads.  

Just wondering how people have managed to do this in your experience.  Thanks for your help!

#41 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • 7,079 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

It is done with a scale. I know that many used scales from Amazon and a couple mentioned jeweler scales but a good quality scale is essential. If the scale is good quality then turning it off and retaring it (zeroing it) should be consistent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users