Photo

Feeling Suicidal. Not Sure If I Have Any Options Left.

• Please log in to reply
1636 replies to this topic

#1231 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:36 PM

How many days do you have to take the rifaximin?

#1232 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:
    It's really difficult finding support for conditions like this. There's really nothing at a local level so the internet is pretty much it.

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:44 PM

FH So Rifaximin does affect cymbalta absorption? We're clear on this? It seems like there's potential but it's up in the air. 

"Based on in vitro studies, clinically significant drug interaction via inhibition of 1A2, 2A6, 2B6, 2C9, 2C19, 2D6, 2E1 and 3A4 by rifaximin is not expected."

I'm supposed to take it for 14 days but I'll stop immediately if this is the case and just resume low fodmap and garlic. What do you think?

#1233 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:57 PM

My bad. I screwed that up. You should be OK. So sorry. I think this is day 3 for you and that means you only have 11 more days. Try to hang in there. You will be better off in the long run.

#1234 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:
    It's really difficult finding support for conditions like this. There's really nothing at a local level so the internet is pretty much it.

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:01 PM

Haha even though you're the smartest person I've talked to about withdrawal you're not getting off that easy bucko!!

What made you think that it interacts based on the info you provided? I need to know if there's potential interaction!

#1235 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:32 PM

Oh I am an idiot!!  lol

Believe it or not when I read that sentence I thought it said "rifaximin is not expected.".

I either need new glasses or learn how to read. lol

#1236 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:00 PM

We all make mistakes Hat!! Give yourself a break....

#1237 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:41 PM

Lol you're def not an idiot. Just made my heart skip a beat of two!

I really want to make it through the entire prescription. Feeling like crap right now. 12 more days to go! From my research, the efficacy of this treatment is about 50/50 so keep your fingers crossed for me.

#1238 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:59 PM

I started getting severe heart pounding tonight which usually means one thing - withdrawal! I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow but I may need to stop treatment either way. I dont know if it's from the garlic or Rifaxkmin. Apparently allicin increases serotonin.

#1239 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:27 AM

Yup so I'm getting off the Rifaximin for now and may keep going with the garlic though. Not good.

I'm going to start tapering cymbalta again. 1% every 2 weeks and maybe increase it based on how I do. No choice now but to get off this poison.i might have to do a rapid taper (over a few months) if my throat doesn't improve soon. Otherwise I'll also stick to a low fodmap diet and hope I'll stabilize.

Honestly most days I dream about how nice it would be to be off all drugs once and for all.

#1240 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:48 AM

most days I dream about how nice it would be to be off all drugs once and for all.

...wouldn't that be just lovely!!

#1241 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 March 2020 - 03:58 PM

IUN how are you these days?

25mg of this poison to go!

#1242 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:06 PM

I've been in recovery now for a good 5 months, but very concerned what this damn virus is going to have on my progress.

I am still maintaining my 30mg of Celexa with the addition of a homeopathic remedy which has helped with my stress and my Kratom for emergencies. Other than that, I am set - oh, and a weekly hour of therapy, which of course has been bloody cancelled courtesy of the virus. 

I have plenty of study to be doing, but study doesn't pay the rent or buy the food. I managed to get myself out for an hour today to get some fresh air and drop some work off, but still have an ever-encroaching feeling of cabin fever. I am used to being out and about for a good 4-6 hours a day, mixing with the world and when I don't I go downhill. 

Really feel for everyone going through this, and it is times like now when the forum REALLY shines through. I'll be here more often for the next couple of months then!!

#1243 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

That's great IUN! Ya this group really helps.

I'm not having a good day at all. Really hope this is die off symptoms from the herbs I'm taking.

#1244 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 23 March 2020 - 06:12 PM

I have been keeping up with everything that you are going through, but I keep a back-bench approach on it as you are more in Hat's territory than mine. I am more amino, cbd and other substances that are not so mainstream.

We've just been locked down here in the UK for 21 days, so my anxiety shot through the roof as soon as I heard it, so I'm right with you Lyla. We all need to pull together. 

But even whilst Hat does the medicinal calculations, I can be here to support...

#1245 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:39 PM

Thanks IUN so much. We're having a tough time here in Canada as well. We're not quite on lockdown but everything is closed except for essential services. I'm trying not to let it stress me out but of course it's impossible not to. Also, I need another virus like I need a hole in my head. The last one gave me 3 months of hell on top of hell so far!

At least we have the spring and summer to look forward to :)

#1246 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:55 PM

Well yes to the Spring and Summer as it is difficult for viruses to thrive in the hotter weather. I just hope we get all this corona nonsense sorted out well in time for us to enjoy such weather. I have spent the last two summers hiding away from the world, and this time around I want to be ready to take everything it has and really enjoy myself. Mess around with the car, long walks, weekend breaks and so forth. 

Looking at the stats, it looks like Canada has just had its "hit". Sudden jump over the last 48 hours so might be tighter measures coming you way and joining the the UK. Better to get it started and nip it in the bud before it gets out of control. Very few will have much choice in this matter unfortunately..

Just do you bit and stay safe!

#1247 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:49 PM

Thanks IUN. I have to admit I feel a little more hopeless than ever right now. Things just keep getting worse for me. Like I'm falling deep into a hole that I just can't make my way out of. Cymbalta has been the worst thing that's ever happened to me and now having SIBO on top of it, I just feel so defeated. There's just no getting rid of SIBO until I get off the cymbalta so I don't know what to do. I feel so jittery and terrible most days. My vision alone is a nightmare. All I can think about these days is how I won't be there for my daughter down the road. I can't see any light right now, unfortunately. 

#1248 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:20 PM

You are still on the antibiotic aren't you Lyla?

#1249 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:43 PM

I can understand how tough things are with the SIBO, but try not to cast your thoughts too far afield. Current circumstances will be causing anxiety to lead the way at the moment. I too am really feeling it. Feel it could go either way at the moment.

I sincerely hope that the end to it all can be expedited, but it will come. 

#1250 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:16 PM

FH no I'm off the antibiotic but taking herbal antibiotics (allicin and neem). I think they're making me feel terrible.

#1251 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

How would you guys recommend a rapid taper be done for someone that's already in bad withdrawal?

#1252 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:09 AM

Without control of the SIBO you are probably left with no options. Whether you use an antibiotic, herbal or probiotics to treat the SIBO you will get die off and feel terrible. If you don't control the SIBO y0u will continue to feel awful because of the SIBO. If you decide to go back to weaning the Cymbalta you will probably feel awful. It is a shame that the antibiotic didn't work.  Now if you decide to try it again your SIBO has probably adapted and become resistant and will not work.

Anyway, just one man's opinion and probably not worth the paper it is written on.

#1253 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:26 PM

Hey FH I only took the antibiotic for about 3 days - not even close to the 14 day prescription so I dont think the bugs would have built up a resistance to it that fast. Apparently the bacteria dont become resistant to it and the herbals easily anyway. I'm seeing a naturopath that knows a lot about SIBO. She seems to know her stuff so I'm hoping she will be able to help me.

#1254 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:23 PM

Iun and FH, I read a study that melatonin helps with acid reflux. Do you guys have any experience or know of any adverse effects to taking melatonin while on cymbalta or in withdrawal?

Thanks

#1255 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:17 AM

Hi Lyla.

No interactions - melatonin is safe (in the recommended doses) during withdrawal, But bear in mind that some (including myself) have reported bouts of depression the next day - obviously made worse with larger doses. I think Hat takes - and recommends - a starting point of 0.3mg, but not knowing what this study has suggested in terms of a dosage, cannot say.

Do you have a link to the study(s)?

#1256 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:53 AM

I have read a number of studies on the issue.

1) Melatonin at 3 mg/day does help healing of ulcers and stomach lesions but interferes with sleep.
2) Doses of melatonin 6 mg, 5-hydroxytryptophan 100 mg, D,L-methionine 500 mg, betaine 100 mg, L-taurine 50 mg, riboflavin 1.7 mg, vitamin B6 0.8 mg, folic acid 400 microg, and calcium 50 mg does help with acid reflux but is an expensive therapy. It also has pronounced negative effect on sleep. I would also think it would have a negative effect on several types of withdrawal. A similar study found that the use of melatonin, l-tryptophan, vitamin B6, folic acid, vitamin B12, methionine and betaine significantly reduced acid reflux but again cost would be an issue as well as possible effects on any withdrawal.
3) I found 2 studies tat claimed that melatonin alone does help acid reflux but both studies had 10 test subjects or less.

Also. The optimum dose for melatonin to treat anxiety is 0.3 mg sublingual. Also any amount over 1 mg per day can interfere with sleep if taken near bedtime. There is also one study that shows taking 3 mg during the day helps with anxiety but if taken at night it interferes with sleep.

#1257 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:11 AM

Good grief - I forgot the decimal!!

Thanks for the reminder Hat - that'll teach me to reply to posts as soon as I wake!!

Have edited the above.

#1258 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I've started doing an elemental liquid diet with 2 small meals a day to start. Then I'm going to switch to 1 meal a day. No fiber. Apparently this is a good way to kill off pathogenic bacteria. The elemental diet does have added vitamins in small quantities though so I'm wondering if that might have an effect on absorption of cymbalta. It has 1.5mg of iron bisglycinate per serving for a total of 9mg per day. It also has 45mg of calcium bisglycinate per serving for a total of 270mg per day. Is this something I need to watch out for?

#1259 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:26 PM

Iron does effect the absorption of many meds including Cymbalta. IUN had a bad experience with that I believe.

#1260 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:34 PM

Iron does effect the absorption of many meds including Cymbalta. IUN had a bad experience with that I believe.

Bloody hell... did I....

You need to watch that form of Iron as it was comparable to that which I took and it is documented here that it sent me into a spiral of suicidal depression for a few days - and I am clearly not as sensitive as you. Sure all of our systems work differently, but if you want iron in your diet, eat it in the form of spinach and such, do not take it in pill form unless professionally advised to do so.

Much like other vitamins, food-based supplements are disposed of by the body where not needed, whereas pill-based supplements can cause as much harm as they do good, which is why Hat is forever saying (and rightly so) that you should only take such supplements when you have been tested for them to show a deficiency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users