• Please log in to reply
894 replies to this topic

#331 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 01:45 PM

Sorry IUN. Sounds like the Pregabalin is not the drug for you.

Hang in there.

#332 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 26 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

Confused. That was a 12.5 dose yesterday and today.

At my parents and had a seizure in front of the whole family. Only lasted about 30 seconds but its really shattered my confidence. The stress of the wife's depression and her anxiety of being with the family just got to me. Typical as she has been fine...

#333 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

So you have now dropped down to 12.5mg of Pregab twice a day? Do you think that the Cymbalta withdrawal is causing the seizures?

#334 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 26 December 2018 - 04:18 PM

Yes - down to 12.5mg as of yesterday, but I think I need to call it in. 

The seizures started from 20mg downward of the Cymbalta and got a lot worse when the doctors took me off the 10mg cold turkey. I have never had the likes of them before. The last thing I know before it happens is the thought of "I cannot hold this anymore". Where some might scream and loose it, I have a seizure.

I don't like to point blame, but having been in the apartment with the wife for the last 3 days 24/7 with her serious depressive mood swings, and then having her flip her switch about going to my parents - coupled with the side effects of the pregabalin, I think I just couldn't take any more.

#335 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 04:45 PM

Or I'm so sorry that you're having to go through all this. I can't imagine how hard it is to deal with your wife's situation as well as your own. I am very lucky in that aspect, as my husband is a very positive person & helps lift me when I feel the depression or anxiety. I tries to remind me not to worry about why I feel the way that I do & to just accept that I do & move on. He's a strong believer in exercise & fresh air too, so will get me to go outside & get moving when I'm feeling down. It generally helps a lot.

#336 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

Thank you Noush - really sounds like I need to come and visit you guys for a while!! As much as I love my wife, she can be very self-centred and now home she is feeling sorry for herself despite clearly having a good time today. I reminded her that I had a seizure and threw up in my parents kitchen sink, but somehow it is not on the same par as her issue for the day.

I am trying to accept what has happened today and think of how strong I have been over the last few days. But sometimes I just need the support and it isn't where you hope it would be. 

So glad for this forum....

#337 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

IUN - Sounds like you are getting good advice. I am also wondering about the 12.5 mg of the pregabalin causing side effects. May be time to make a change.

#338 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

I was just reading in the medical journals how sometimes pregabalin is prescribed for seizures. It obviously isn't doing anything for you.

#339 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:44 AM

Scrat,

What a rough time you're having. It makes me sad. I can only offer prayers for strength at this point in time. You are fighting a double battle when in fact, one battle is really enough.

With time, all will come around. Plus the patience of a saint. Lovage.

#340 PrincessNutella

PrincessNutella

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:43 AM

I think you should wean off to something else, IUN. Does you no good to prolong this mess.

#341 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:49 AM

I woke up 5 hours ago and immediately dry heaving and had the most excruciating headache. I haven't been able to move from the bed without needing to be sick. I have been drinking only water and just come to the forum to distract as my depression has got too much and am in a bad place.

Last pregabalin was 24 hours ago and I have to stop. Worried about withdrawal effects. In such a mess.

But it is good to come to the forum to see the support you guys give me. I value your prayers at the moment. Thank you.

#342 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:02 AM

Boy, when we add more meds to the soup it gets complicated doesn't it.

Zoloft side effects?
Cymbalta withdrawal?
Pregab withdrawal?
Pregab side effects?

Flip a coin.

Just my humble opinion but probably not on pregab long enough to have a withdrawal issue. I would say more matches Zoloft side effects. Educated guess there.

#343 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:18 AM

Not zoloft - citalopram/celexa.

According to my diary, Sunday (3rd day of Pregabalin) I woke feeling very dizzy and then nausea set in that evening.

Monday I was bedridden and completely "out of it". Tuesday was bad nausea, bad headache and dizzy, and yesterday was nausea, dizzy and severe depression.

I am still in bed now with horrible nausea and pains from not eating. Headache has turned to fog and dizziness. Whilst pregabalin has a known effect to potentially increase depression, I cannot be sure whether it is this or not, but after 24 hours of it, I am scared as I have never had it quite this bad before where there is absolutely no letting up.

#344 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:17 PM

https://www.ehealthm.../lyrica/nausea/

161,452 people reported to have side effects when taking Lyrica.
Among them, 7,807 people (4.84%) have Nausea

Time on Lyrica when people have Nausea *:
< 1 month: 51.94 %
1 - 6 months: 23.08 %
6 - 12 months: 8.21 %
1 - 2 years: 7.78 %
2 - 5 years: 5.36 %
5 - 10 years: 2.59 %
10+ years: 1.04 %

Top co-used drugs for these people *:
Cymbalta: 856 people, 10.96%
Xanax: 503 people, 6.44%
Nexium: 491 people, 6.29%
Neurontin: 485 people, 6.21%
Synthroid: 484 people, 6.20%

Top other side effects for these people *:
Nausea And Vomiting: 2,193 people, 28.09%
Dizziness: 1,952 people, 25.00%
Headache (pain in head): 1,626 people, 20.83%
Diarrhea: 1,566 people, 20.06%
Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 1,490 people, 19.09%

Very interesting.

#345 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:28 PM

Er, following on from that - this is very worrying;

https://www.ehealthm...n/side-effects/

Most common side effects over time *:
< 1 month:
  • Abortion spontaneous (naturally occurring miscarriage)
  • Completed suicide (act of taking one's own life)
  • Intentional overdose
  • Somnolence (a state of near-sleep, a strong desire for sleep)
  • Thrombocytopenia (decrease of platelets in blood)

#346 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:39 PM

More FYI

https://dailymed.nlm...b9-b97c6b00a553

5.3 Increased Risk of Adverse Reactions with Abrupt or Rapid Discontinuation

As with all antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), withdraw LYRICA gradually to minimize the potential of increased seizure frequency in patients with seizure disorders.

Following abrupt or rapid discontinuation of LYRICA, some patients reported symptoms including insomnia, nausea, headache, anxiety, hyperhidrosis, and diarrhea.

If LYRICA is discontinued, taper the drug gradually over a minimum of 1 week rather than discontinue the drug abruptly.

Adverse Reactions Leading to Discontinuation

Approximately 15% of patients receiving LYRICA and 6% of patients receiving placebo in trials of adjunctive therapy for partial onset seizures discontinued prematurely due to adverse reactions. In the LYRICA treatment group, the adverse reactions most frequently leading to discontinuation were dizziness (6%), ataxia (4%), and somnolence (3%). In comparison, less than 1% of patients in the placebo group withdrew due to each of these events. Other adverse reactions that led to discontinuation of at least 1% of patients in the LYRICA group and at least twice as frequently compared to the placebo group were asthenia, diplopia, blurred vision, thinking abnormal, nausea, tremor, vertigo, headache, and confusion (which each led to withdrawal in 2% or less of patients).

Fibromyalgia
Safety and effectiveness in pediatric patients have not been established.
The most frequently observed adverse reactions in the clinical trial included dizziness, nausea, headache, weight increased, and fatigue. The overall safety profile in adolescents was similar to that observed in adults with fibromyalgia.

5.4 Suicidal Behavior and Ideation

Antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), including LYRICA, increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior in patients taking these drugs for any indication. Monitor patients treated with any AED for any indication for the emergence or worsening of depression, suicidal thoughts or behavior, and/or any unusual changes in mood or behavior.
Like other antiepileptic drugs, LYRICA may cause suicidal thoughts or actions in a very small number of people, about 1 in 500. Call a healthcare provider right away if you have any of these symptoms, especially if they are new, worse, or worry you:

⦁ thoughts about suicide or dying
⦁ attempts to commit suicide
⦁ new or worse depression
⦁ new or worse anxiety
⦁ feeling agitated or restless
⦁ panic attacks
⦁ trouble sleeping (insomnia)
⦁ new or worse irritability
⦁ acting aggressive, being angry, or violent
⦁ acting on dangerous impulses
⦁ an extreme increase in activity and talking (mania)
⦁ other unusual changes in behavior or mood

#347 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

Thank you Hat.

I think I have just got to accept my severe intolerance for some of these meds. Having gone down to 25mg and then 12,5mg I don't think any more of a ween off is in order. In fact, I worry for taking any more at all. I am still confined to the bed this end, but have managed to keep down a bowl of cereal and cup of herbal tea.

Two weeks on 15mg of the Lexapro. I think I need to see how this goes over the next few days - obviously worried now that I have put this massive hurdle in its way.

#348 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:49 PM

I feel sorry for you IUN but you are tough. I agree with your assessment. Hang in there.

#349 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

Thank you 'Hat. These certainly are trying times.

It is good seeing people such as yourself having gone before me to show strength.

God Bless you.

#350 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

Managed some lunch and dragged myself out for a 20 minute walk! STILL got headache and the shakes, and just had an aura migraine. 

But I did find a very, er, useful video on Pregabalin/Lyrica from a fellow Englishman - and it really cheered me up. Worth a watch to see how some people get through withdrawals - heads up, there is some colourful language - as one might expect from a Northerner over this side...

#351 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

I am still in trouble this end people, and as much as I don't want to bring the seasonal spirit down, I am finding myself in need of offloading somehow.

I woke up again so severe depression. I immediately switched on my laptop and distracted myself as best as I could. This lasted a couple of hours before I just got a non-stop wave of suicidal thoughts - and I do mean non-stop. It got to the point that I was sick with fear and got the shakes. It was like it was telling me I had no other option. This lasted a little over an hour when I was so exhausted I kept drifting in and out but my body wouldn't let me sleep because of the thoughts.

I am so so scared that this will continue and it is me that has started all this off in motion. 

Have never had anything quite like what happened during that hour. It would help if I knew it was the impact of coming off the Pregabalin...??

Anyone who can help... at all.... really don't know what has happened to me over the last 48 hours.

#352 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

Remember my earlier post...

"Call a healthcare provider right away if you have any of these symptoms, especially if they are new, worse, or worry you:

⦁ thoughts about suicide or dying"

This is straight from the manufacturer. You need off this now. This is NOT a normal reaction and can be serious.

#353 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:37 PM

I am 48 hours off now and it has got progressively worse.

As I said, this is a new level. I know I had a seizure on the 26th, but I have had many and come back from them. 

Not sure what I can do... So you think this is related to the Pregabalin?

#354 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:28 PM

Scrat, you can start by the pm you sent to me or others. Check your posts.

On the 26 at your parents, you had a small duration of a seizure. Prayers for you my great friend.

#355 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:30 PM

Scrat, as Fishinghat said, get out now while you still can!

#356 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

I have called for medical assistance, and they feel it could be the medication. Awaiting advice...

#357 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:59 PM

I am glad you called. It could be the propranolol but impossible to know for sure.

#358 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:48 PM

Didn't see your message Gail - thank you my dear.

I am still none the wiser as still not heard back. 

#359 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:20 PM

OK - so am happy to report nothing like yesterday, but obviously am feeling very fragile.

I got myself up and out to see my friend, and spent a couple of hours with her. Still very dizzy and bit of a headache, but I at least know what it is. Can't believe that one week of Pregabalin can have such a nightmare effect...!

#360 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

I am glad it is starting to ease. Be kind to yourself my friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users