894 replies to this topic

#121 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:55 AM

No idea - I just thought it better to take the larger dose in the morning??

Off to the doc

#122 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:00 PM

Once again, I tend to disagree. Those two drugs are of the same class.

I don't see any reason to cross taper from one to the other.

I always switched directly from a SSRI to another one.

I need to write this, if I want to sleep tonite, sorry Sir, but I believe this!

#123 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:49 PM

Been to the doc - and he said he is scared to suggest anything and that I should go to ER if I feel that bad.

At the moment, my anxiety is way off the scale. My whole body was shaking at the doctors and I was sweating and couldn't make sentences.

I am sure this is because of the extra withdrawal - even 2 pills of it.

Should I take another 5mg now??

#124 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

The doc said I shouldn't have stopped either.

Have I created this havoc I am in with the 2 doses of Lexapro?

I have just taken a 5mg dose of Lexapro as it is decided in the hopes it might calm these effects. I am sat in bed shaking and worried that I will end up getting sectioned.

But I still need a plan as to what I should take in the morning...

#125 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:37 PM

Let me know what that effect that 5 mg of Lexapro has on you. If the timing doesn't matter to you I would start with the citalopram in the morning and Lexapro in the evening. Keep that up until some numbness, apathy kicks in and then cut back the citalopram from 30 to 20 mg.

It is up to you if you just want to jump onto the Lexapro full dose or do the cross over. I like the cross over because you can be sure and take the minimum dose of the new ssri. What do I mean? Well lets say you go back on the Lexapro and after 3 o 4 days you feel the numbness apathy kick in so you drop the Citalopram to 20 mg. After a few more days and you are still a little numb but better, then you can drop to 10 on the Citalopram. Some have even wound up taking only 5 mg and able to handle the full withdrawal. That may or may not be the case with you but at least you will have the chance to minimize the amount of Lexapro by only booting it up when necessary.

#126 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:08 PM

Don't forget 'Hat that I am still needing the support of one drug or another at the end of this. It is not my intention to come off the Lexapro asap. I am sincerely hoping that the Lexapro will fill the void that Citalopram couldn't fill (prior to the switch to Duloxetine).

I took the 5mg around 3 hours ago and I have stopped shaking and paranoia has settled a bit. I have been sat in bed with the wife with cups of tea and Googling this and that. I started writing some of my essay, and soon after I started I could feel the sting again, so I stopped. Overall still very anxious, but at a level that I have dealt with before.

Obviously it is difficult to say about the dose, as we cannot be sure of the efficiency of the Citalopram for me. If it isn't working, then 5mg of the Lexapro will have had a bigger effect than first thought. Therefore, the sudden drop - even after 2 doses - could well lead to increased anx/dep and hence a very nasty mini withdrawal.

#127 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:35 PM

...and if I have taken 5mg at 5.30pm, should I skip the night dose for today? Bear in mind I am nocturnal and sleep is at 4am?

Thanks again 'Hat

#128 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:03 PM

Yay.....we're back on! Just reading through your post & catching up! IVUN - bloody hell you've really been going through the ringer haven't you?! I can't believe your DR couldn't give you any advice! They really are a waste of time most of the time when it comes to antidepressants! How are you feeling after the 5mg of Lexapro?

#129 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

Hi Noush - yes. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing we are back!

I have started to feel a little more edgy again, after a tiny bit of relief. It is at peak concentration around 3-4 hours so maybe I am just anxious that it should be making me all better by now. Trying to bear in mind what I was feeling 4 hours ago, but when I think about it, then it heightens my anxiety! Viscous circle...

#130 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:50 PM

I know that feeling well. I have gone back up to my full 40mg dose of Duloxetine, because I couldn't stand the anxiety, feeling if dread, insomnia & racing heart. However, Although the emotional issues have all resolved with the dose increase, the daily headaches are back & I now seem to have constant vertigo. I have been back on this dose for almost two weeks now & if the headaches & vertigo persist, I think I will have no other choice but to cross taper to Lexapro.

You're doing fantastically IVUN! I think you just need to give the Lexapro time. I would drop the Citalopram dose & increase the Lexapro quickly. Like Gail said, you are able to straight swap the two, as they are both SSRI's.

#131 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

"...and if I have taken 5mg at 5.30pm, should I skip the night dose for today?"

Definitely skip tonight's dose and try to get back on schedule tomorrow.

I wasn't suggesting that you would have to wean off the Lexapro, I just don't want you to take any more than is necessary. Keep it to a minimum IF possible.

#132 PrincessNutella

PrincessNutella

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:55 PM

Yep, what Noush said. Hang in there IUN, you know it’s the meds. Please keep us posted.

#133 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:22 PM

NOUSH - I had a feeling you would be well aware of my issue here. Its been 5 hours and I am looking (or trying to look) at the fact it hasn't got worse. Just wish this could be maintained through to the morning, as they are always my worst. My alternative would have been to go back on Duloxetine, but just like you, I had dizzy spells and fatigue that wouldn't shift. Sure that is better than the moment, but would be a hurdle eventually, and I would be right back here again. Nearly 3 weeks since I stopped Duloxetine. I can't give in... as much as I want to.

HAT - Understood now what you were saying - and yes, wise. Realised that changing Citalopram from AM to PM and then back again in the space of three days cannot have been a wise move.Will hold off on the Lexapro for tonight, and get back to my 1pm/1am schedule.

OZ - Thanks... yes - you are right. Bloody meds. Although you do get to a point where you just don't care what is causing it, we should stay focused knowing that something bought about by the meds can only be temporary...

#134 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:14 PM

So almost 8 hours since taking the dose, and I still feel I have climbed out of what I went through. It has not got worse, and in fact a little better and managed to finish my study.

Sure I am very anxious about what tomorrow might bring, but I wanted to post this so that I can see in the next few days (as can other people looking for support) that it is possible to pull yourself out of these holes.

Hat and his two magic words...

#135 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:30 AM

Good news IUN.  It seems as if the Lexapro is going to help you.  Keep it up :)

#136 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:28 AM

IUN that's a brilliant sign! Like Juli said, it looks like the Lexapro is going to work. This is the drug I am going to cross taper to in the New Year if the headaches & dizziness continue. The fact that you are soldiering on & not given in to the easy option of just going back on the Duloxetine, shows that you have so much strength mentally. You are doing so well. Keep focused on the end goal & just keep talking. Talking about how you are feeling to those who understand, to me is the key to calming the anxiety.

#137 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:38 AM

Thanks guys.

Bit easier waking today - although still far from easy. Still trying to get the last seizure out of my mind. But been out and about for a couple of hours doing one lesson and buying bread. But I am so exhausted!!

I had 8 1/2 hours sleeps without even waking! Even when I did I was still wanting to fall asleep again. Anxiety is nagging at me, and the weak legs and stomach churning isn't helping, but this I know is already early effects of Lexapro and nervous exhaustion from yesterday.

Got a rest for a few more minutes so going to have a cup of green tea.

#138 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:49 PM

How are you feeling this evening IUN? Any calmer & more settled?x

#139 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:55 PM

Hi Noush....

I have done a full day of work and done a shopping trip on way home. Might have tipped the balance a bit with the shopping, but no food in the flat and with an agoraphobic wife, I did what I had to. 

Had some flashes of anxiety during work, and a bit at the grocery store, but just carried on. Overall for sure a better day than yesterday. Still some way to go, but for now I just need to rest!!

Another cup of green tea I think... or maybe camomile...?

#140 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:25 PM

Green tea can be quite stimulating & not great when suffering with anxiety. I'd go for the camomile for sure.

Does your wife not leave the house at all?x

#141 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

True - there is still an element of caffiene in green tea - but I do not drink "regular" tea.. or coffee. I went with herbal in the end - lemonbalm with camomile. I buy the herbs in big bags and make in a teapot! How very English :)

The mrs... no she doesn't leave the house. Might get her out for a walk when it is dark. Occasionally she has braved the supermarket, but come back in a right state. It is tough and I want to help her, but doing the work, shopping etc myself is enough for me. But she does all the housework, makes me dinner and tea, and is a real gem when I have my difficult moments.

#142 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

Gosh, that must be very hard on you both. It puts a lot of responsibility on your shoulders! Has she had any counselling for her agoraphobia? My mums cousin suffered with agoraphobia for years & managed to over come it with counselling.

#143 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

She managed 4 sessions of CBT at the end of last year, but it just didn't work for her. I would like her to try it again.

I can't say it around her, but yes, the responsibility is too much sometimes, and it is tough on my anxiety on days like today. But she can at least be at ease with me about it.

#144 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:02 PM

I just made this for her :)

It made her laugh as she used to have an angora rabbit - but please no-one take offence! 

Attached Files

#145 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:06 PM

Does she suffer with any other type of anxiety? Apart from the agoraphobia? Has she tried medication?

#146 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:08 PM

😂😂😂 that just made me chuckle! It's good that you can laugh about it together and that she can see the funny side to such a shitty situation.

#147 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:13 PM

She has social-anxiety which leads to the agoraphobia. She also suffers with very bad OCD. 

Currently on 10mg of Lexapro - she needs a review as she has been on this for almost 2 years now.

You have to laugh at these things sometimes to take away the fear. Everything about anxiety is of course fear of fear. If only it was as easy to treat as it is to say!!

#148 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

I have something called Pure O, which is a form of OCD which causes intrusive thoughts when my anxiety is high. Duloxetine at 40 100% controls it. It just also for the past year or so causes me side effects, such as headaches & vertigo. CBT worked quite well for the OCD for me, but only to lessen the anxiety it caused. I have found that only medication fully controls it. Your poor wife. I start to get 'Cabin fever if I have been out if the house all day.and I imagine as soon as you walk in from work, your wife wants to talk your ears off, as she will be desperate for the company.

#149 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:56 PM

I can identify with some of the stress caused by agoraphobia. I have been on reverse isolation since 2015 so no people contact (except drs). It gets old.

#150 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:21 PM

My goodness Noush - that is EXACTLY what she has. It is not the counting, germ thing, it is repeated thoughts that require her ongoing attention when her anxiety is high. I thought it odd when she said about her OCD that I thought she would be straightening up the appartment with right angles and so forth. I must bring this to her attention. Is there anything that can be specifically useful for Pure O?

Hat - I had to read up on reverse isolation. The wife does get what is often referred to as cabin fever from being indoors 24/7. So do you currently choose whether to remain in isolation and thus remove yourself periodically? Or is it a case that the isolation remains the better option? It interests me as these last few days have done their damnedest to remind me just how much stress is outside my front door. I suppose it is a form of agoraphobia, but it is things like drivers being nasty on the road, having a flat on the car - something that will cause stress and put me into a few days of turmoil.

I read a book the other week "The Other Side of the Mountain" about a chap who runs away from a New York life and sets his own life in a woodland all on his own away from it all. It was a really calming read. I could relate to it very well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users