894 replies to this topic

#181 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:19 PM

I don't even know what I should be doing with my doses and how long I should wait. 

Again, all I have is you, Hat.

The MH team have not returned my calls in over a week

#182 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:01 PM

Sorry to say but 5 weeks is just a beginning. At least you are having some good days every now and then.

The restlessness makes me wonder if you are just one of those rare people that do have side effects from Lexapro. I can't really suggest that you stop the Lexapro as it may just complicate your recovery. Did the stretching do anything for your restlessness?

#183 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:13 PM

"The restlessness makes me wonder if you are just one of those rare people that do have side effects from Lexapro."

Well I had seizures on the Duloxetine, so quite possible. 

I got your stretching messages after it had subsided, but should it occur tomorrow, or later, I will try and report back.

Thanks Hat.

#184 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:36 PM

Hat - just so I have some direction, how long do you think I should give the current 5mg/20mg before considering 10mg/10mg?

Or what are the signs I should be looking out for?

I know I need to give the side effects time, but by all accounts, moving the dose is likely to have similar effects. Sorry to keep asking you, but as you know, there is no other advice I have here in the UK...

#185 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

IUN I get restlessness whenever I alter my dose. This time, when I re-instated to my full dose if Duloxetine, which meant an increase of only 2mg (20 beads), I had restless legs, burning feet, blotchy face & I had to keep touching/itching the palms of my hands (even though they weren't itching). It was almost involuntary, like an itch that couldn't be scratched. This lasted just over a week. Maybe 8 or 9 days and then settled. I'm now completely levelled again.

#186 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:28 PM

That sucks....

I am just so concerned that I was dealing with the withdrawal anxiety of the Duloxetine and now had the added anxiety effects of starting Lexapro. I was just filling in a normal form for Uni and I just had to stop as I couldn't take it. The stress of just that was overwhelming. It is so scary...

#187 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

It is & when you're like us & are super vigilant to the way you're feeling, it's bloody hard! One bad day triggers the panic of 'OMG am I never going to improve, am I back to square one' & over thinking about future progress & how to achieve it.

Stick in there, you'll get there! Maybe think about changing the time if day that you take the meds?

#188 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:14 PM

"I know I need to give the side effects time, but by all accounts, moving the dose is likely to have similar effects. Sorry to keep asking you, but as you know, there is no other advice I have here in the UK..."

No problem IUN, glad to help as much as I can. You need to wait until your symptoms level off. I am not talking about necessarily feeling well just make sure that things aren't getting worse. Normally (which you aren't, lol) for most people they change doses every 7 to 10 days. Many just go for it and change all the way to the new AD without any waiting period. I don't mind that but if someone is going to develop a serious side effect to a new AD I would like to find out at a lower dose.

#189 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:35 PM

I have been on this dose for 7 days now. I had the physical side effects, which were difficult to determine as they were very similar to the withdrawal effects of the Duloxetine, but they seem to be easing. 

My biggest concern is my nerves. My anxiety has been ongoing for so long now - and it is now at a point where my nerves have started to go. It is not just anxiety any more. As I said, my anxiety can be overcome by facing fears - it has always worked - but this just does not work. I remain in a permanent state of anxiety/panic. 

Many people report anxiety getting worse in the early stages of Lexapro, so if this is the case where I started from an already very difficult level from withdrawal, this will have pushed me over the top.

I can't go back now, and feel like I just need to put my faith in the Lexapro in combating this anxiety, but the cost it getting too much. I should have cross-tapered directly onto the Lexapro instead of mucking about with Citalopram, but of course this was out of my hands...

#190 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:46 PM

"I remain in a permanent state of anxiety/panic. "

Been there and done that for months on end. If you want go ahead and just make the jump to Lexapro. It is up to you.

#191 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

Quite. With all due respect, this is what I am trying to avoid Hat. I need to work to earn money to keep the wife's visa valid.

Viscous circle - of the worst degree.

#192 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:50 AM

IUN z- You only dropped the Citalopram dose a few days ago didn't you? Maybe you were taking too much with both meds. Maybe a week to 10 days from dropping the 10mg of Citalopram, you'll start to level out. Are you getting any exercise? Like going for a brisk walk to get some fresh air in your lungs & get your body working? Even if you don't feel up to it, I find it works wonders if I force myself.

#193 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:07 AM

https://www.facebook...57474428557573/

If you're on face book. Take a look at this!

#194 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:01 AM

Thanks Noush - it may be there was too much I just do not know. All of this is guesswork as I have no-one to guide me. I know just how dangerous it is to be self-medicating AD's. I am trying to get some air, but as the wife doesn't want to join me, it makes it very difficult.

Link is showing me that content is not available?

#195 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:57 PM

IUN - When you dropped to 20mg of Citalpram why didn't you make a corresponding increase in Lexapro?

#196 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

I should have dropped to 20mg Citalopram when I started the 5mg Lexapro, as this is equivalent 30mg Citalopram which is what I was on

#197 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

Would really like some feedback on what is currently going on with my meds.

Hat I hope will be able to weigh in, but anyone else who can offer experience...

Today I just went about my normal working day - I did all my lessons, saw parents and did a relatively large shopping trip. But at all times, my nerves were hanging on the edge. Even when I was deep in teaching, the feeling never left me. Never got to the point of panic, but not for one minute did it subside. 5 hours later and it is still there in full force.

I am so shattered, head spinning, stomach doing gymnastics. Don't feel like I can eat or rest. 

Why can I not de-sensitize this anxiety? Is this the Lexapro doing its thing? Is it normal? Or is this a combination of my dulox withdrawal and the lexapro? Is there ANYTHING I can do???

#198 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:29 PM

"Today I just went about my normal working day - I did all my lessons, saw parents and did a relatively large shopping trip. But at all times, my nerves were hanging on the edge. Even when I was deep in teaching, the feeling never left me. Never got to the point of panic, but not for one minute did it subside. 5 hours later and it is still there in full force.

I am so shattered, head spinning, stomach doing gymnastics. Don't feel like I can eat or rest."

I hate to say this IUN but that is actually great for your stage of withdrawal. I would say most? of the people can't even go to work at that stage. Many lose jobs and lose family relationships over this. I do think you need to consider going straight on the Lexapro at this point but that is up to you. And of course there is always clonidine and/or hydroxyzine for the anxiety.

#199 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:42 PM

"I hate to say this IUN but that is actually great for your stage of withdrawal."

Good grief. Really?

So what would you say is causing this unshakable anxiety? My concerns are about compounding the existing anxiety with more from the Lexapro side effects...

#200 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:32 PM

IUN - You are still changing doses & your brain has had a lot if adjusting to do over the last few months. I would definitely consider switching straight over to the Lexapro now. The Citalopram was doing nothing for you, so if the anxiety is Duloxetine withdrawal, you need the Lexapro to help that & the Citalopram wasn't helping, so may As well get off it & then let your body settle on the full Lexapro dose.

#201 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:16 PM

All withdrawal. Months and months of anxiety if untreated. Sucks

#202 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:20 PM

Fish - could I ask (If you don't mind). We're you on Cymbalta for anxiety/depression? Or some other reason?

#203 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:22 PM

Sorry...I meant Hat, not Fish 🙊

#204 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:36 PM

He goes by many names Noush... Fish, Hat, FH, Einstein - take you pick and I'm sure he will respond!

OK. Decision made then. 

Now as we know the Citalopram was not working, I cannot be sure if I need to be taking the equivalent of 20 or 30mg of Lexapro (thus, 10 or 15mg). From August 2017 to June 2018, I was switching between 20 and 30 Citalopram and nothing seemed to make a sod of difference. 

So am I going for 10 or 15 here? And drop the Citalopram right away (eg tomorrow morning)?

and just to be sure, by untreated, Hat, you mean not taking a supplementing med?

#205 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:41 PM

Fish - could I ask (If you don't mind). We're you on Cymbalta for anxiety/depression? Or some other reason?

I was on it for anxiety.

#206 Noush

Noush

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:44 PM

Hat - and now that you are off of Cymbalta, are you med free? As in, Antidepressant free?

#207 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:41 PM

I fought Cymbalta withdrawal for nearly 9 months after my last dose. I just couldn't handle it anymore and went on Zoloft. While trying to deal with the withdrawal I was put on olanzapine, oxazepam, lorazepam, Xanax, Lexapro and Prozac. None of them worked. I was then given clonidine and hydroxyzine which helped considerable but not enough so I added the Zoloft. Since then I have come off the olanzapine, oxazepam, Xanax, Lexapro and Prozac. I am now 89% off the lorazepam and after that I will start to reduce my Zoloft. I am planning a 3 year wean on the Zoloft. So far it has taken me 5 years to come off these drugs.

#208 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:53 PM

I sincerely hope the Lexapro works for me then. Not sure whether having the Christmas break coming up is a good thing or not.

Almost pill time - so Hat.Noush - are we going with 10 or 15 here? Nervous decision!!

#209 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

Increase your Lexapro.  I would continue your crosstaper. 

#210 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,218 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

So which are you suggesting? If I go for 15mg Lexapro, there is nothing more to cross!

But just because I was on 30mg Citalopram, if it wasn't doing anything, this is not a point of reference for the dose of Lexapro. The way I see it there are 3 options;

1. 15mg Lexapro

2. 10mg Lexapro

3. 10mg Lexapro / 10mg Citalopram

The last is not really the option holding out much here, so it is just a question of the Lexapro dosage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users