Bead Counting Tapering - New To Me So All Advice Welcome!

• Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#121 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

NM - I can understand that you need to play it safe with the neighbour at present. The last thing you want is to ruffle feathers and cause a division between the two of you - that can have some nasty results. As you say, hopefully she will do the off and this will play out nicely in your favour.

Hmmmm, the death of a loved one can easily bring on this sort of thing; I am sorry for your loss. What you describe sounds like classic symptoms. In bad times, I feel the same as my wife does not drive, so if for any reason I could not drive, then we would be stranded. It would be interesting to know what it is that you fear - for example what would prevent you from getting home, what the noise and atmosphere would lead to in such an exposure. We can PM if you'd prefer. I have done a lot of legwork with this sort of thing and woud like to help you where I can. 

LDN - bless him - has gone through every disease known to man. It would be a miracle for someone to have come through everything that he has done without some level of mental health ailment. Again, I love that we can all take encouragement from each others efforts. 

As Kath says, we are the best forum on the t'Interweb :)

Oh, and cats generally do not wind dogs up, no. They are solitary creatures and would not give a flying wotsit about the dog. A dog would piss a cat off for sure, but the dog will get the message pretty quick and would not retaliate vocally. Had a few of both, and at the same time, so hope that helps!

#122 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

Thanks so much for everything you’ve said and offered, IUN. Means the world to me. Will reply tomorrow as must get to bed. Love the t’Interweb! Night night and sleep tight wherever everyone is time zone wise. Till tomorrow and a new day. Love and blessings :)

#123 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:15 PM

Sweet dreams jellybean.

Will look forward to your reply.

#124 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

Oh Lord, what a day. So exhausted couldn’t get out of bed. Valium hangover with headache from hell. Thanks for the Jellybean, IUN :).

The good news is the neighbour’s gone AWOL again so should get some decent shuteye tonight. Have lit my candle and done a short meditation to ‘reconnect’. Hope everyone’s found at least a little peace today. Love and blessings always xxx

#125 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:27 PM

Similar head and exhaustion, but a better day was had in spite of all that. Got the wife out to the Tesco Local and got some wine to go with veggie spagbol :)

Great news about the neighbour. Change the locks while she is out! Odd that you react to Valium in such a way. Is that the case with other benzo's? If might be worth trying something else. I rarely take it if I can help it. Depending on severity, I will supplement with herb tea, CBD, ashwagandha or kratom. All of which far safer that any pills.

#126 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:48 PM

Glad you and your wife were able to get out then enjoy veggie spagbol! I get headaches and hangovers from Valium if I have a lot (for me) in one day. Yesterday I had three in all and didn’t get to sleep it off cos neighbour woke me. I’m intensely sensitive to medication so it seems natural to me. I’ve had the occasional Temazepam before bed but never more than two. It seems harsher and don’t have a repeat prescription for it. I’ll have to look into the alternatives you mention as have never tried them, just seen the names here and there.

Yup! Change her locks!!! :) :) :)

#127 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

There are plenty of alternatives to Valium, and I would be happy to answer any questions relating to them. I am also very sensitive to medication, which was why I started experimenting with such alternatives. Regarding sleep, a lot of people seem to be making use of liquid melatonin, and Hat speaks highly of it and has had good results. I have ordered some today to try on my Lexapro-induced insomnia. I need something relatively fast-acting for when I wake too early. Reports will follow once tried. 

Amino acids are also useful, as are some antioxidants. Theories of brain swelling have bought about different levels of self-medicating alternatives  - and not forgetting that before the days of the SSRI, amino acid (tryptophan) was the go-to prescription for depression and anxiety. The efficiency of SSRI's have not shown any improvement. 30-something years of research and we have nothing for it. Just withdrawals... something again, that you do not get from natural alternatives.

Anyway - lecture over. But again, if you would like any questions answered, I can cover the alternative stuff, and Hat would be the one to point the amino/antioxidant stuff towards.

#128 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:08 AM

Hi NM

I can also strongly recommend both Clonidine and hydroxyzine. Neither is addictive nor do they have withdrawal. They have replaced benzos for me many years ago. They are prescription drugs. Both have been used successfully to treat benzo withdrawal. The hydroxyzine is a very effective sleep aide too. The melatonin sublingual works great as does diphenhydramine (Benadryl) BUT neither can be taken on a constant basis as your body gets use to them fairly quickly.

#129 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

Thanks so much for all the info, IUN and fishinghat. I trawled through the memory banks and realise I tried 5HTP for several months but felt no effect. I asked my previous GP about melatonin but she said she wasn’t allowed to prescribe it so had to let it go. Hope it works for you, IUN. For the moment, am just looking to stabilise on the 10mg Duloxetine with occasional Valium use. Fishinghat, here in the UK, getting a shrink to prescribe you an on-going Valium prescription is like winning the lottery - that rare - so I’m just not in the position to pick and choose alternatives and won’t ever see another mental health worker. I did try Benadryl a few times but the dreams were awful! Also, I receive state benefits and, sadly, what you are awarded is often at least partly determined by your prescriptions. In other words, I would never be able to tell my doc I’d halved my Duloxetine or that I don’t take most of my Valium. The system is more sick than I am! I do appreciate all your kind suggestions though and it’s heartening to know you’ve managed to replace harsh meds with kinder ones. All power to you!

It’s day 19 of halving the Duloxetine to 10mg. For the last two days I haven’t been able to get warm, even with the heating on, and have lost my appetite somewhat. Don’t know if this is a reaction to cold weather after enjoying the lovely warmth, or withdrawals, or a mixture of both, but I feel like sh*t today. Managed to get to the post office and send the unwanted wig back though. Yay!

Hope you’re doing ok and life’s treating you kindly :) :) :)

#130 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

I just don't think I could live there without going to jail. I would be throwing a fit over your medical care. What a curse.

#131 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:53 PM

5HTP is a difficult one, and it didn't do anything for me either. Sometimes it is not serotonin that needs to be increased - it can be a whole host of other things. It was only due to a fluke finding in the 50's that showed a bunch of patients to be low on serotonin when depressed that antidepressants came about. And there isn't even an accurate way of measuring levels in the brain - besides which, 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut. 

If you look at my post, I found a place that sells liquid melatonin as it is very unlikely to be a prescription item. We'll see how it fairs, and I'll let you know. 

The wife and I are very fortunate that we both have on-going prescriptions for Valium. They are for 28 x 5mg and we refill every 3 months. I say "we", I rarely use the stuff as you know, but the wife takes over my batch when she has finished hers, otherwise I would have quite a stash. But... if we renewed every month, the doc would call us up on it and intervene.

"The system is more sick than I am"

How right you are!  

Very well done for going to the post office. It can be a real lottery as to what you will find in the way of a queue when you get there. However, queue anxiety is a very common phenomenon. Loads of people get it. And most avoid for that very reason, even though they don't have a diagnosed anxiety condition. 

I do hope you continue to stabalise on the 10mg. Take all the time you need to minimise the symptoms...

#132 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

Lol fishinghat :). I hear you!

IUN I have a massively generous 5mg x 56 per month Valium prescription so do have a helluva stash! I don’t want to request it but feel I have to in case they think I don’t need it. It’s not questioned by my GP as it was authorised by a consultant shrink so it’s not on her conscience. Am hoping the melatonin does the job for you so fingers crossed! Yep, managed to go out! Am off to bed now to get warm. Think I may just have a chill.

Love and blessings to all xxx :)

#133 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:09 PM

Sweet dreams and here's to a brighter tomorrow.

God Bless.

#134 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

Aww bless ya IUN. Night night and sweet dreams to you too :)

#135 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:15 AM

Just like Kathy, no more likes. I like all your posts here. Thank you!

#136 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:17 PM

Och thanks, Gail :)

To everyone who’s in pain of any kind, physical or emotional or both, or unable to rest, a goodnight quote:

May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest...xxx

#137 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

I had a couple of likes left for today so I was liking away!  :wub:

#138 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:20 AM

Thanks Kathy! Hope you and all are hanging on in there. Life’s a tricky but often wonderful experience! Where did you get your emoji from? I’m on an iPad and can’t use my usual ones :)

#139 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

Notmyself, I am and old fogy. What does och stand for?

#140 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:59 AM

Lol fishinghat. I’m an old fogy too! In Northern Ireland and Scotland och means oh or aww, or a hybrid of the two. It’s just a colloquial figure of speech. Hope your weekend’s peaceful. My new neighbour came back yesterday teatime. I’m in acceptance mode so her noise isn’t getting to me at the moment :)

#141 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the info. I was trying so hard to figure out what it stands for. lol

You must have more patience than me.

#142 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:31 AM

No worries. If you google och it’ll give you a more nuanced explanation and a pronunciation!

It’s not patience. I’ve learned throughout a life marred by insurmountable difficulties that the more I react negatively to circumstances, the more I suffer. Pain is unavoidable, but suffering is optional. Haven’t mastered it yet as it’s my life’s work! :)

#143 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:46 AM

Many have that philosophy. Myself I like being negative and complaining about it. It is cathartic and purges the body of the negative attitude by letting it out. Afterwards you feel more relaxed. Either that or I just like to complain. lol

#144 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

We all have our coping strategies! :)

#145 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:15 PM

LOL - Hat sounds more English than American!! We complain as soon as we are ejected from the womb!

Hat - "och" is a kind of preface to saying particular statements by Scottish people. Just like you might say "Oh, what a lovely little baby", someone Scottish would say "Och, what a lovely wee baby". Is that fair to say NM?

" Pain is unavoidable, but suffering is optional. "

I like this - very profound.

#146 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:22 PM

Hi IUN! Yeah, that’s fair, but there are more nuances to it based on vocalisation. It can denote many things, such as surprise, delight, regret, concern and empathy. It can be casual or deep. It can be spoken alone and mean everything. I was brought up with och and I’m Northern Irish so it’s not limited to the Scots.

The profound stuff is the result of 32 years of spiritual enquiry and meditation but I’m not there yet! Hope you and your wife are having a peaceful weekend :)

#147 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:16 PM

Ah - apologies - wasn't aware it was part of the Northern Irish too.

So what would an example of it being used on its own be for?

Wife and I have written the weekend off in favour of resting. Having had naff all sleep since Monday, I need to take some time out. The only issue with that is you run the risk of getting cabin fever, but we have managed a short walk this evening...

Same sentiments to you - wishing you a peaceful weekend.

#148 Guest_NotMyself_*

Guest_NotMyself_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:30 PM

I know, sometimes it’s best just to surrender to what is and make plans when you’ve finally had some sleep, though it’s good to get out if you can. Fresh air and a change of scene can work wonders. Great you managed a wee walk though! Pats on backs :)

If someone tells you something, be it short and simple or long and complex, using och imbued with complete understanding, empathy and love can be very powerful. It’s the quality of the sound, the intonation, that creates the power and opens the channel fully for understanding to flow from speaker to listener.

‘He didn’t make it. He died in the early hours.’
‘Och...’

In this instance it is used so that silence is allowed to open up and embrace the emotions experienced instead of the elongated moment being cut short and the pain being disallowed with a babble of uncomfortable and unneeded words of the speaker. The silence would last as long as necessary before the flow of melded emotion and understanding and love find the next natural course. Wow, I’ve never tried explaining this before! Too tricky!

So hope you get some shuteye soon, IUN. Hope we all get some sleep. Nighty night, dear folk xxx

#149 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 April 2019 - 07:42 PM

That's a very detailed response and easily digested - thank you! These things interest me greatly, so glad I gave you the opportunity to explain it!

Can't get my head round much more of a response as just had Kratom and roast dinner - so fed, happy and relaxed. This is good!

Hopefully my melatonin production has repaired itself a little in preparation for sleep tonight - we shall see...

Sleep well love-muffin!

#150 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:40 PM

Thanks Kathy! Hope you and all are hanging on in there. Life’s a tricky but often wonderful experience! Where did you get your emoji from? I’m on an iPad and can’t use my usual ones :)

When I reply, the top ribbon has a :) and when I click on that I get 20 different emojis that I can choose from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users