#91 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

I like the new doc a lot. I actually had been referred to her for a second opinion last fall after I had been sick for almost 6 weeks, and getting no where with old doc of 11 years. Rather than play Russian Roulet with me, she actually got me well quickly. Old doc actually caused me to get a serious illness related to over use of antibiotics. He got kicked to the curb. Anyway, sorry, got of the original comment.

Yes, she checked me very well, we went over my medical history for the second time completely etc etc. She really does the job a doctor is supposed to do. Plus I told her I had a complete heart study done 2 years ago-the whole works. My dad had serious heart problems-attacks, strokes etc. So I felt a need to have mine checked out. My blood pressure has always been normal or at times a little low and blood-ox level always excellent. This from a woman who has smoked most of her life!

I did just read about the law suits, and even found out one of the attorney's involved in many of them are right here in Denver. I emailed him quick to see if anyone had spoken to him or an associate about Cymbalta. Told him about the evils of it! :twisted:

Thank you Greybeard.

#92 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:27 PM

Me again. I don't take asprin, or any over the counter medicine if it has asprin in it. I don't drink (hmmm. maybe i should). I do have stomach issues which the doc and I discussed so will deal with the Celebrex if I have more stomach problems (IF I decide to get the script filled).

#93 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

A bit of an email I sent Lori. Can't type anymore so am going to cheat...

First off today has been the WORST physically I've had yet. I can't even begin to describe it, it's so bad. The pain is just not letting up and is now in my entire back and even upper stomach muscles. I know a lot of it is because while I am trying to deal with it without taking any pills for it, the more tense I'm getting. I have taken 3 hot baths already today (just plain water. no epsom salt). I just now broke down and took 1-1/2 vicodin. I can't stand this crap anymore, I can't. But, I will because there are no choices. Talked to oldest brother today, he asked how I was feeling, I told him, then he said "so have you found a new job yet?"!!!!! I only told him no. Then he said I could probably get you a job a Whole Grocers (natural food store in ritzy Cherry Creek), but they would start you as a grocery bagger. SURE! I CAN DO THAT! CAN'T HOLD A &^*&^ CIGARETTE IN MY HAND, BUT I'M SURE I CAN BE A BAGGER!!! I got so pissed off I nearly hung up on him. I'm a frigin' bookkeeper who makes 15.00-18.00 and hour to start, and he wants me to go bag groceries for 8.00 an hour (if that much).

Ok I'm done with my daily *&^$#. Still want to respond to your gross email from yesterday, but finger tips hurt. :|

Bye bye.

#94 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:10 PM

First, Mary, I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad. Second, while I am not a huge proponant of drug use, if you have pain pills, use them if you need them. My doctor works very closely with hospice patients, and knows a good deal about pain management. His theory is that a body under constant stress, such as lack of sleep or pain, only opens itself up to other illnesses. (This is not the doctor that set me on the antidepressant road)

I think it is great that we all try a more natural approach, and if it works, then that is great, but if you are suffering with this pain, your body and mind are under a lot of stress, you may be slowing your progress down. I have a chronic neurological condition, and it causes nasty headaches, along with neck and shoulder pain. I take 4 oxycodone daily. I am hopeful for remission from this illness someday, and know that I will have to work on weaning off of pain meds at some point, but, for now, I know that I simply couldn't take the constant pain in addition to withdrawal. I am very closely monitored with this med, in fact I have to drive to the docs office to pick it up and take it to the pharmacy, that is how closely they watch for abuse of this one.

Just my thought about the whole thing, because you aren't getting a buzz from these meds when you are in pain, they are going to work on the pain. (Honestly, some days I wish I COULD get a buzz from them!)

#95 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE!!! I HAVE NEVER HURT SO BAD IN MY LIFE!!! I JUST CAN'T DO IT. i tokk my pain pill and it didn't hardley phase me. and now i'm crying uncontrollaby. can't even type on this damn computer hardley. can't think of how to spell words, can't do anything! i'm a mess, my house is a mess. my life is a mess. that doctor and his pills are nearly killing me....

#96 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:27 PM

schmbo1-do you know which is better for pain-vicodin or oxycodone. need to know. can't take this pain

#97 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

I didn't want to take the vicodin because I was concerned more about the amount of Tylenol/acetaminophin I was ingesting. I've had better luck with oxycodone, and if I need to, I will take a tylenol or ibuprofin with it, if it is really bad. Now, it doesn't take the pain away completely, but, it does take most of the edge off of it so that it is tolerable. Also, you do better to take it BEFORE the pain kicks in; kind of staying ahead of it. Again, I was prescribed it for my condition, and obviously you were given it for pain too.

Please understand, I'm not trying to push this at you, the decision to take a narcotic pain reliever is a big one, but I've been much better able to cope with things while taking it, when the pain is reduced, than when I take nothing.

Babby

#98 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:03 AM

Thank you schmb for your help in thinking all of this through. I agree, now, that it is better to stay ahead of the pain. My pain day yesterday was the worse yet. It was the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. And bad! I was hurting so bad that my entire body started shaking uncontrollably, almost convulsing. My son had called me and I couldn't hold the phone to my ear. Anyway, doc had given me oxycodone which I got filled yesterday, and I had vicodin on hand already. I don't want to get hooked on pain meds so yesterday I did what I always do. Wait and wait and wait, take hot baths or showers, do deep breathing but none of that worked. As the day went on the pain increased to a point I was not functioning at all. I broke down and took 1-1/2 vicodin around 3:30 (i think-not sure-brain was not working) and it barely kicked in around 5. I mean all it did was make me able to work my hands a little but that was it. And it only lasted for about an hour. I finally forced myself into the car, went to the drug store and got the oxycodone. Now I probably should not have done this, but I took one around 7:45 which was kind of close to the vicodin, but at that point was desperate for pain to stop. Had been in the hot shower crying so hard from pain, just letting the water soak my back. It was really hot water cause I couldn't put my head under it, but I could not feel the heat on rest of body. But at that point is when I took the oxycodone. I finally relaxed, the shaking subsided, and the pain moved out of me slowly but surely. I went to bed around 8:30 and just passed out! Got 9 hours of sleep which I think my body was also needing-a good nights sleep. And it was a restful sleep unlike how I usually sleep.

Anyway, enough rambling.......

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL OF YOU MOTHER'S OUT THERE :D

#99 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

Mary, I know what you are saying. You hear such horrible things about narc pain meds, and you do have to be careful. But, there is a huge difference between addiction to them, and dependence on them. My doctor, and a few that my Mom has been to for chronic pain agree, that we likely DO become dependent on them. This makes sense, since we need them to take away that pain, when other methods have failed. Addiction, would be defined more by abuse of the drug, such as taking several a day for the buzz, and not the relief of pain.

I'm probably not explaining this well, but I even ordered some books on the topic to understand the whole process, because I too was concerned about becoming "hooked" on them. Again, when or if I can stop taking them, I know it will be much the same process as weaning off of any drug that alters how nerve receptors read pain, but my doctor and I both feel that the benefit of letting my body have some relief from chronic pain outweighs that risk right now.

I learned early on that when he told me to take 4 a day, there was a reason for it, and that was to stay ahead of the pain as much as I could.

All I can do is share my own experience, and if it helps you, that is great! I'm glad you were able to sleep for 9 hours! You have to feel like a new person just from the sleep! Hang in there Mary in Denver!! And Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Babby

#100 CyMAD

CyMAD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

Hello,

Concerning Seroquel: I would really think twice about this one.

Seroquel only worked short term, very short term for sleep for me without increasing the dosages constantly.
I was on a starting dose of 100 mg for insomnia a couple of years ago and had to go up to 900mg very quickly.
It helped me sleep yes, but the dosage had to be increased quickly. Within 6 months I was on 900mg and then it did not work at all for sleep.
They also use this for bi-polar. Felt foggy everyday while taking seroquel.

My liver counts went real high they said it was the Seroquel.
I stopped cold turkey and the withdrawals were bad.
withdrawals included the sweats, brain zaps really bad, etc.
Of course everyone reacts different so please be careful with this one is my personal opinion.
Here is a link >> http://bipolar-disor... ... fects.html
Personally I would rather come off of benzos or ambien than seroquel.
I wish you luck.

CyMAD

Day 2 on 30mg from 60mg cymbalta.
Brain zaps, fatigue and GI issues are starting.
Not giving in. Never.

#101 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

Day 2 on 30mg from 60mg cymbalta.
Brain zaps, fatigue and GI issues are starting.
Not giving in. Never.

Give the Omega 3 a try. I took it way before I ever took Cymbalta, and I noticed it helped with my digestion lots. To be specific, it keeps me regular more than any laxative would ever and it is gentle and good for you. My doc told me that 4,000 IU was safe/day and was what I took, went back down to 2,000 IU/day because of cost to save some money. Still helps with the digestion stuff. Sorry I am trying to be tactful and make bowel movements sound less crappy :D :D .(whoops, I got tacky, sorry)
Hang in there - a positive outlook really does help.

#102 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNorthern California - East Bay

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:11 PM

Hi Everyone,
My this thread has been busy, thats cool. It has been about 11 days since I posted. I went back on 30mg of cymbalta and ramped up on the Lexapro at 10mg. then 20mg. then 30mg and 10mg of serequel at night to help me sleep. I started a slower taper and so far so good other than pain but I can handle this amount of pain. I am at 23.82mg today and doing the Catherine slow taper.

I was pretty discouraged two weeks ago, but I am doing better now. Taking it hour by hour with this cymbalta poison.

Jeff

#103 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:17 PM

Jeff, I'm glad you are getting back on track. Taking it slow will be much easier on your system. I'm so glad you posted again, I've been thinking about you!

#104 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

Thanks, I hit bottom pretty hard 112 days ago, very ugly and almost ended me, I have never been so close to dieing, thats all I wanted to do was die. I am climbing back up. I have always been able to master anything until now, this has mastered me, so now we have to outsmart it. Did anyone see the movie "Facing the Giants"? toward the end of the final game they were getting pretty beat until the coash said we need to outsmart the giants to win, and they did! We need to outsmart this giant addicting life killer called Cymbalta. It takes control of everything in your body, your nerves, to your soul and then some.

Outsmart it

#105 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

I need to go count tiny white pellets on a red plate for this weeks dosages. I do each day and put them in a container with each day marked. That way I dont have to take pellets out every morning when I would have the urge to take a full capsul of 30mg.

Be blessed
Jeff

#106 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:37 AM

Great to know you are doing better, Jeff, was just asking about you. Thats about what I did with the pellets but I did not count them, my mind was not where I could count them, I seemed to have enough trouble just pouring it out and eye balling it.
Yes, I saw the movie, and I think movies like that want the audience to apply it to whatever is going on in their lives be it drugs, alcohol....life in general. A very good movie.

#107 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

Cold Turkey Vs Slow Taper? I think each person is different and the person may chage in thier life, meaining I used to be able to do cold turkey but not now. I tried CT, NOT, I tried a taper but it was to fast 90-60-30-0 then 60-15-0. My body was ok until until I went from 30-0 and 30-15. Now I am doing much smaller mg taper, I have pain but I can hadle it. I just took 3 Alieve to cut the edge and hope that helps.

Trial and error unfortunitly seems to be the way it goes with this Killbalta. Just don't give up until you are off of it!!!!! I hope that once off Killbalta that lexapro and seriquil wont be as hard.

Jeff

#108 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:06 PM

Jeff. I don't know why you were on Cymbalta, but be careful of Lexpro. My son tried jumping out a window on it. Just a word of caution for you. My psych mention Lexapro to me once and I said no way will I ever go on that! Now it's no way, will I go on any antidepressent.

No, i'm not going to stop getting this SIN-balta out of me. I'm just to keep working at it and know that things will get easier with time.

#109 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

I have had Lexapro before and as soon as Cymbalta is out of me I will start the exit for Lexapro and serquel. I am going to supplements, herbs and good food like God made!

Thanks for the warning though.

Jeff

#110 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

Day 30

Not doing good at all. Mentally. 2 days in a row now of extreme off the wall anger and it is directed everybody and everything. Even my sweet little kitty's. I yell at them (like they understand), slam doors in there little faces, yell at the girl at drive thru at burger king, yell at one of my former co-workers at credit union. wasn't his fault my loan payment was late. Woke up with headache-think it's a tension headache because back of neck hurts too. WHY AM I JUST NOW GETTING THIS WAY? I don't understand. I don't like it. Is it just because of all the frustration with the pain? Frustration with doctors? frustration because i can't see an end in sight? Here, I have been so proud and happy that I have doing great mentally-not anymore. I hate me like this. I can not deal with mental issues and pain issues-not at once. I just can't.........

#111 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

I wish I had the answer but it is not fair, it is not right, it is not just what this drug does to us. Do your best is all you can do and soon it will pass. You are not the only one, we all have surprises with this drug, it is not you, it is the drug. Do not come down on yourself for this behaviour or reactions, remember when you where not taking it and you did nto have ourburst.

I went off on the guy at the hamburger place because my order took 18 minutes and there were two people in the place eating, no rush of orders, but I flipped for no reason, I was not late, I was clam then all of a sudden he handed me my food and I went balistic on him. His eyes poped out and his mouth dropped. Poor guy, he did not see it coming nor did I. It is this drug, it is not me or you or any of us,it is this drug!!

J

#112 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

Mary, I dont know why you are having so much anger this late in the ballgame, so to speak, maybe one of your other medications....well, I just dont know. Jeff and Greybeard both has great advice for you, know you are all in my prayers. I am with you in my thoughts, even when I am not on here. I am alittle sluggish thinking today, but well, my boyfriend has had enough. He thinks HE has had enough! LOL But yea, I can understand it, even though I am on my way out of the worm hole, as Greybeard labeled it, it does seem unfair....but very understandable. I do worry this could trigger a slight set back for me, but I will just take it one day or one HOUR at a time. Thats all I can do. Prior to the procedure I had done in August which caused so many problems with my state of mind, I did not eat for 5 days at the time, and drank only Mountain Dew for 'nourishment'.....so you know my nerves were not very good then either, so I have really given him a hard time for quite some time now, and he has been good about it.....but I think he said 'When'. There is no anger, or arguing....just talking, and today, tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, we will be spending quality time together to see which way we need to go with this. My son is getting married tomorrow so I do have that to look forward to!!! All my babies will be married. :cry: Anyway, I just thought I would tell all of you that you are so much in my thoughts and prayers, but for the next 4 days, I have to take care of myself and what my next move may be. Take care of yourselves and I will be back.

#113 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:19 PM

Lori, sweetheart, I'm so sorry about what you are going through. I'm here for you! Sent you an email.

As for me, I think that my anger IS stemming from the lack of reliable medical help and the fact that pain med, percocet, only helps for about 3 hours and is tearing my stomach up.

I have appoinment with pain management specialist on Monday so am hoping he can help. I'm still going to go in with pesimism and research anything he prescribes for me thouroly. Sorry for the bad spelling.

Only blew once today, but that was at home depot lady who ordered wrong stacking part for new washer and dryer. But I let her have it. And I didn't apologize. Didn't feel I needed to.

Graybeard, I have 100%ly decided not to get new carpet but use money toward getting health back. It's 11 years old almost and could use replaceing, but just going to have a company come in and give it a good cleaning. Kitty puke has left bad stains from the food coloring. So, yep, health way more important than carpet.

#114 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

19.01mg today and dropping slowly. Today was a good day, mild headache and a little hard to focus and remember things but that is fine. Some pain had to take some pain med this morning but I have to be careful because it tears up my stomach. No outburst(yet), almost did with a parts guy on the phone at two dealerships but I calmed down. I felt it coming so that was good.

Be blessed and I am praying for all of you.

Remember it is the DRUG it is not you!

Thanks
Jeff

#115 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

jeff-what pain med are you on? mine tears my stomach up too. it's percocet. but it does help me function-for about 3 hrs per pill. take 3 a day.

#116 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

I just take 3 over the counter Alieve, I wish I had something stronger.
It works a little and cuts the edge as long as it is not above a 4 on the pain scale and last for about 5 hours maybe

#117 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

I am at 17.63mg today and the pain is hitting at 5 and I am really tired, depressed, and feel like i am in slow motion today. I just need to get to bedtime and sleep then this day will be over. Thats all i can think about is getting the last few hours over. I do not want to think about how I will feel tomorrow, it will overwhelm me, today is rough enough. 17.63 mg is less than I was a few weeks ago when I went from 30-20 and I hit hard in pain and had to go back to 30mg, so the slower taper seems to be working better than the larger drop at once. Just a few more hours and I go to bed and sleep, yea!

Till tomorrow, be blessed and remember it is not you, it is the drug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

#118 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

I am at 17.63mg today and the pain is hitting at 5 and I am really tired, depressed, and feel like i am in slow motion today. I just need to get to bedtime and sleep then this day will be over. Thats all i can think about is getting the last few hours over. I do not want to think about how I will feel tomorrow, it will overwhelm me, today is rough enough. 17.63 mg is less than I was a few weeks ago when I went from 30-20 and I hit hard in pain and had to go back to 30mg, so the slower taper seems to be working better than the larger drop at once. Just a few more hours and I go to bed and sleep, yea!

Till tomorrow, be blessed and remember it is not you, it is the drug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

#119 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:53 PM

Thank you all for this webstite and sharing. I have been on some kind of anti depressant for 11 years. Cymbalta for 3 years. I recently decided the whole thing had been trying to medicate something that was never wrong. For me, there has never been a disease to treat, just needing the tools to deal with things in life that are naturally upsetting. I didnt have the tools. I was sent to a counselor who said I was depressed and its been a crazy journey of going from drug to drug. Cymbalta is the last. I set up a two month weaning process with my doctor. At the end of week two I discovered I am pregnant. My natupath suggested said he would just go cold turkey if he knew he was pregnant. I did some research on the effects of the fetus, and in the end decided to go cold turkey. I am on day 11 of cold turkey. The first week was scary with brain zaps every few seconds. towards the end of the week I experienced that sensasation that I was suffocating. Trying to go to sleep at night with this feeling was really scary. I have had nightmares almost every night. Two days ago I exeperienced a day that gave me hope. No zaps, I had energy. I felt so excited. But the next day that zaps came back. With them came spacey feelings as well as anger. This morning I have been feeling hopeless. When wil it end? It is so helpful to read that there are people who have made it through.

#120 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

13.51mg today and my body is saying what the heck are you doing? Lots of pain in the body, headache, and having a hard time remembering and thinking. Walking very slow because of the pain, about a 5-6 on the pain chart.
I feel like I am in a fog or two steps behind myself. But I am doing much better than going cold turkey or larger drops in the mg.

I feel I can keep going at this pace if it doesnt get much worse. The body is adjusting day by day, it is trying to cope withthe decrease in Cymbalta daily. I feel if I stop at a level to stablize it will be hard to start decreasing again. This way keeps my body in this mode and I would rather be in this than going back and forth. Just 13 more days of this taper schedule until I reach ZERO Cymbalta. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

13.51 mg today, one day at a time

Blessings
Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users