2761 replies to this topic

#1621 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:48 AM

Here is my struggle right now where my anxiety is coming up. I may be sitting and just relaxing then ill get a tinge in my stomach muscle and immediately i start to panic worried that its something else. I try to tell myself its most likely sore muscles from getting tense + working out from before and ill be ok but its difficult. any pain i feel i freak out. how can I stop this. 

#1622 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 December 2020 - 01:36 PM

Unluckily time is the answer. The excessive worrying about health related issues is classic for withdrawals of all types. This is because the serotonin, histamine, adrenaline, dopamine and other neurotransmitters all react with the hippocampus (part of the brain) that controls paranoia and fear (also panic attacks). This is where a good therapist can teach you coping skills that would help you manage these episodes. There are also medications and supplements that can help BUT they all effect blood pressure which should be monitored. 

When did you finish your withdrawal?

#1623 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 02:33 PM

Unluckily time is the answer. The excessive worrying about health related issues is classic for withdrawals of all types. This is because the serotonin, histamine, adrenaline, dopamine and other neurotransmitters all react with the hippocampus (part of the brain) that controls paranoia and fear (also panic attacks). This is where a good therapist can teach you coping skills that would help you manage these episodes. There are also medications and supplements that can help BUT they all effect blood pressure which should be monitored. 

When did you finish your withdrawal?

Around the beginning of April I think it may have been the middle of April. That makes sense I was just sitting here eating my lunch (scarfing it down as fast as possible cause im at work) afterwards I had a panic episode I dont like calling it an attack cause it wasnt the full on kind where I cant breathe but my vision started getting tunnely and my muscles started to tense. 

#1624 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:33 PM

Definitely adrenaline. End of April, so around 8 months. It may still take you another 4 months or so to get it together. Of course the more stress the loner it will take but you will get there.

#1625 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 08:00 PM

Definitely adrenaline. End of April, so around 8 months. It may still take you another 4 months or so to get it together. Of course the more stress the loner it will take but you will get there.

Yep how do i get off this adrenaline deal is it just time. I was playing a video game and again felt this rush of what I will call adrenaline now not panic cause that is what I am feeling. I read something that the best way to get passed the health anxiety is to ignore the symptoms so to speak. Is this right if I can just stop giving them life might they go away? I appreciate all your help I have to find a way to get this adrenaline issue to stop its driving me crazy.

#1626 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:17 PM

If you're getting adrenaline rushes suddenly that come and go, and this isn't something that is normal for you, I would assume this could still be your body readjusting. I had this really bad for about 5 months and then milder for a few more months. I don't really get the adrenaline rushes anymore. Just remember that the adrenaline response (while overblown perhaps) is your body's way of alerting to something scary or stressful. And right now the world is really messed up, our normal lives are really disrupted. So for those of us who have gone through withdrawal around the same time, it can be hard to say if the stressed state is because of withdrawal or because literal stressful difficult overwhelming things going on right now. You may want to wait until normal life resumes to draw any conclusions about your long term state :)

Anyway, I do still have a lot of tension inside kind of like being in a constant state of alertness. I work remotely from home but even so the tension increases while I'm actively working and is always worse in the early part of the week. Parallel to the tension I had near constant chest tightness and shortness of breath (which made me more anxious and freaked out as you can imagine). The supplement L theanine actually helped A LOT with this. I take 1 AM and 1 PM and the tension and chest tightness has improved significantly which gives me a lot of relief and allows me to not feel anxious all the time. 

Do your best not to add to your stress by worrying about if something's wrong with you. Unless it's really unbearable I think it's a good idea to try to at least wait until this pandemic is over to see where you're at.

I also echo FH's suggestion of a therapist if you're able to afford it. I feel a lot less burdened and more reassured after each one of my weekly calls. 

#1627 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 December 2020 - 08:27 AM

Frog has got you covered there. You are still only part of the way through your withdrawal so it will get better.

#1628 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 09:07 AM

If you're getting adrenaline rushes suddenly that come and go, and this isn't something that is normal for you, I would assume this could still be your body readjusting. I had this really bad for about 5 months and then milder for a few more months. I don't really get the adrenaline rushes anymore. Just remember that the adrenaline response (while overblown perhaps) is your body's way of alerting to something scary or stressful. And right now the world is really messed up, our normal lives are really disrupted. So for those of us who have gone through withdrawal around the same time, it can be hard to say if the stressed state is because of withdrawal or because literal stressful difficult overwhelming things going on right now. You may want to wait until normal life resumes to draw any conclusions about your long term state :)

Anyway, I do still have a lot of tension inside kind of like being in a constant state of alertness. I work remotely from home but even so the tension increases while I'm actively working and is always worse in the early part of the week. Parallel to the tension I had near constant chest tightness and shortness of breath (which made me more anxious and freaked out as you can imagine). The supplement L theanine actually helped A LOT with this. I take 1 AM and 1 PM and the tension and chest tightness has improved significantly which gives me a lot of relief and allows me to not feel anxious all the time. 

Do your best not to add to your stress by worrying about if something's wrong with you. Unless it's really unbearable I think it's a good idea to try to at least wait until this pandemic is over to see where you're at.

I also echo FH's suggestion of a therapist if you're able to afford it. I feel a lot less burdened and more reassured after each one of my weekly calls. 

Frog has got you covered there. You are still only part of the way through your withdrawal so it will get better.

So what you both have said has helped realizing that its my body adjusting and that its adrenaline helps. Is it possible that my stomach will be sensitive right now. Not to be gross but I have had diarrhea for about a week and it seems like my food is automatically digested. Is this from adrenaline and cortisol is it cause for concern ? I don't feel weak or tired or run down actually the opposite amped up to a point I cant wind down. I believe a lot of this is the withdrawal and just to much stress I have put my body and mind into a lot of stress lately with the workouts and with work I think I said this before my body just decided for me its time to calm down maybe. Anyways I have been drinking 2 cups of green tea in the morning to help with the anxiety and taking a cbd gummy at night along with chamomile tea. I am trying to take epsoms baths when I can any other advice on what to do. I noticed this morning as soon as I started eating my cereal my anxiety started up any ideas why that would happen ?

#1629 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 December 2020 - 10:39 AM

Stomach issues are primarily from serotonin imbalance (from withdrawal) and your stress levels (cortisol). Eating during withdrawal causes and increase in stomach activity which can upset the stomach which in turn can upset the "second brain" in your stomach, this sets of the anxiety. This can be minimized by staying away from big meals, low sugar foods and low fat foods. The sensitive stomach issues also does not help the anxiety. I often take 1/4 to 1/2 of an Imodium tablet (over the counter) about an hour before sleep to help settle the stomach. I have also used Pepto Bismol to help settle down my digestive issues as well. Don't use both and don't use any more than necessary as that can switch you from diarrhea to constipation.

Be sure your green tea does not contain any caffeine.

#1630 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 03:21 PM

Stomach issues are primarily from serotonin imbalance (from withdrawal) and your stress levels (cortisol). Eating during withdrawal causes and increase in stomach activity which can upset the stomach which in turn can upset the "second brain" in your stomach, this sets of the anxiety. This can be minimized by staying away from big meals, low sugar foods and low fat foods. The sensitive stomach issues also does not help the anxiety. I often take 1/4 to 1/2 of an Imodium tablet (over the counter) about an hour before sleep to help settle the stomach. I have also used Pepto Bismol to help settle down my digestive issues as well. Don't use both and don't use any more than necessary as that can switch you from diarrhea to constipation.

Be sure your green tea does not contain any caffeine.

I will try those things for my stomach not both at the same time but I can try them. I did something at lunch that kind of helped I just told myself my stomach is sensitive right now its normal and I will be OK. It helped a little this is a grueling process I am thankful that I have you guys here to see me through again. God bless

#1631 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 01:17 PM

I was wrong my last dose of anything was in February. Today is a little better although I have to get a tooth pulled today I am nervous about that for sure. and then back to work tomorrow where all the stress is at.

#1632 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 December 2020 - 04:41 PM

So basically 10 months. Your stress may be extending your recovery time. There have been a few members that did not really stabilize well until 24 to 36 months but that has been very rare.

#1633 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 09:24 AM

So basically 10 months. Your stress may be extending your recovery time. There have been a few members that did not really stabilize well until 24 to 36 months but that has been very rare.

so this could be a minor setback to due to extreme stress? I had a panic attack during my tooth pulling and after. Today I feel out of it muscles tense constatnly worried about keeping my stress level low. Any Ideas what I can do in the here and now. I am at work today Thank you .

#1634 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 December 2020 - 09:28 AM

There are a lot of things that cam help but stress coping skills are best taught by a therapist. Everything from breathing exercises, progressive relaxation and much more. 

#1635 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 12:50 PM

There are a lot of things that cam help but stress coping skills are best taught by a therapist. Everything from breathing exercises, progressive relaxation and much more. 

I have been trying to breathing on my own I will talk with my psychologist tomorrow for sure. 

#1636 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:12 PM

How long after a panic / anxiety episode does it take to feel normal. My thoughts today have been on I ve been feeling like this for about 3 weeks now is this I had a panic attack and everything after that is the panic hangover or is there something else going on. How can I know for sure Need help 

#1637 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 09:29 PM

I ate a piece of chocolate about an hour later I had a panic episode again and now my anxiety is up again. Is it because of the chocolate my stomach seemed really full and I thought I was having trouble breathing maybe I sucked in to much air I don't know I'm really nervous

#1638 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 08:33 AM

Also did you know kombucha has like 50-80mg of caffeine in it. I didn't I normally drink it for the pro biotics so drank that plus had a small piece of dark chocolate. I was having panic attacks all the way till bed time and at bed time woke up with them. Hat is this because my nerves are so sensitive that any little thing like to much sugar and caffeine will set me off in the direction?

#1639 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 December 2020 - 09:07 AM

Your right. Your nerves are very sensitive and that leads to the overreaction of your emotions and the sensitivity to sugar, caffeine and other stimulants. 

Ah man, no caffeine, little to no sugar and no salty food. All many anxiety/panic attacks worse. Be kind to your body. The difficulty breathing during a panic attack is usually due to adrenaline or the caffeine you ingested. It will fade away.

Hasn't your psychologist taught you any coping skills? 

Panic attacks vary in length. It depends on if one is in a position to relax after the onset of a panic attack (which shortens it) or how much stress they are still exposed to (more stress the longer it lasts). It is also common to feel slightly depressed and lazy for a short while after a panic attack.  

To know what is going on in specific you need to track blood pressure. 

Kombucha, like many teas, contain high amounts of caffeine. Normally they also contain significant amount of sugar as well.

#1640 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:44 PM

Your right. Your nerves are very sensitive and that leads to the overreaction of your emotions and the sensitivity to sugar, caffeine and other stimulants. 

Ah man, no caffeine, little to no sugar and no salty food. All many anxiety/panic attacks worse. Be kind to your body. The difficulty breathing during a panic attack is usually due to adrenaline or the caffeine you ingested. It will fade away.

Hasn't your psychologist taught you any coping skills? 

Panic attacks vary in length. It depends on if one is in a position to relax after the onset of a panic attack (which shortens it) or how much stress they are still exposed to (more stress the longer it lasts). It is also common to feel slightly depressed and lazy for a short while after a panic attack.  

To know what is going on in specific you need to track blood pressure. 

Kombucha, like many teas, contain high amounts of caffeine. Normally they also contain significant amount of sugar as well.

My dr. has given me some coping skills. I actually had my video appointment today and what he told me was that I need to accept I am anxious and I might be for the next few weeks to a few months. Second I need to stop trying to think my way out of my anxiety instead I need to ask myself what can I do ? Can I get up and take a walk can I run my hands under hot water etc.... Thanks for the heads up on the kombucha I have been drinking them for the pro biotics what  a crazy situation it has been. Thank you for all of your help please continue to share any ideas you have I will be honest I am scared to take my BP that's why I haven't done it I am worried its gonna be high and I wont be able to see a dr about it cause of covid . 

#1641 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 December 2020 - 06:16 PM

When ever you are stressed/panicky your blood pressure will be higher. When relaxed lower. By Taking a few blood pressure readings under both conditions you can tell what bp you should try to maintain. For me for example if I exceed 120 on the systolic (that is the top number) then I know I will be entering a phase of increased anxiety so I know I need to take a break and  slow down and relax a little bit. This helps me minimize the anxiety/panic attacks. Each of us has our own blood pressure pattern so the numbers for me will not be the same for you. 

Your dr is right. Don't try to understand the anxiety or think it away. This is a chemical reaction and it will proceed as it wants too BUT by monitoring your blood pressure and using coping skills you can minimize the effects as well as any long term harmful effects.

#1642 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:48 PM

When ever you are stressed/panicky your blood pressure will be higher. When relaxed lower. By Taking a few blood pressure readings under both conditions you can tell what bp you should try to maintain. For me for example if I exceed 120 on the systolic (that is the top number) then I know I will be entering a phase of increased anxiety so I know I need to take a break and  slow down and relax a little bit. This helps me minimize the anxiety/panic attacks. Each of us has our own blood pressure pattern so the numbers for me will not be the same for you. 

Your dr is right. Don't try to understand the anxiety or think it away. This is a chemical reaction and it will proceed as it wants too BUT by monitoring your blood pressure and using coping skills you can minimize the effects as well as any long term harmful effects.

I will have to buy a cuff from a walmart or something I tried to find an app and I only found one that takes your pulse. 

#1643 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 05:59 PM

Merry Christmas everyone. Today has been OK I have been able to tolerate a little sugar without having panic attacks so far. Thank God. I have been trying to be kind to myself and remind myself that I am anxious its ok to be anxious. This to shall pass. All in all its been an OK day. I wanted to come and say Merry Christmas. Love from me and mine to you and yours.

#1644 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 December 2020 - 06:20 PM

God bless you AJ. You certainly deserve more than one good day in a row. Maybe tomorrow will be even better.

Merry Christmas.

#1645 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 26 December 2020 - 08:26 AM

AJ - please forgive me for my absence over the last week. Like you, work has been SO stressful. I have been working 12 hour days without stop, only then to eat and sleep.

Going on the Ashwagandha, Hat is right insomuch that some swear by and others it has no effect. Note that it does have tolerance. It needs to be stopped for a while. Quite when and how long is down to your body, but it you take it continuously, it will lose its effect. But black pepper does potentiate it, and make sure your try KSM-66 which is made from the best parts of the plant - it DOES make a difference.

Reading what you said on the 18th - Hat really knows his stuff about Chronic Adrenergic State, and I would only agree with him. You will have got yourself in a state, just like I have where you catch yourself at any given moment and you are tense, muscles are tight - INCLUDING your chest. There is nothing seriously wrong with you. This is what happens. The only difference between you and I is that I accept what is happening and I know what it is, so I do not have panic attacks. But this is not a thin line. There is work to get through to get to this point and I really do feel for you. 

I would go further on what Hat says in that coping skills can be BETTER than meds!

Stress can and will reduce life span, but only in the long term. You are not an investment banker working on wall street, coming home to a nagging wife with 6 kids!! Ok!! This will pass. It won't be something that will affect you long term. You have already had better patches and they will return.

"It is unlikely that a few weeks would develop this condition. In addition it is probably partially caused by your recent withdrawal."

"The therapy takes a while to learn and several months to master. Be patient."

Again - listen to the Hat!!

#1646 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 26 December 2020 - 08:32 AM

"Here is my struggle right now where my anxiety is coming up. I may be sitting and just relaxing then ill get a tinge in my stomach muscle and immediately i start to panic worried that its something else."

OK - this is where the coping comes in. This happens to me ALL the time, but it is HOW YOU REACT. I was sat at the garage getting my wheels aligned. I knew I would be there for a good 60-90 minutes. I was fine. But then I had a sharp pain in my left temple in my head and before I had and chance to rationalise it, there it was. 

This is because it has been conditioned over many months. Our brains become wired in a way that panic can happen quicker than rationalising it. I don't want to bore you with the science, but it starts in the amygdala and where it needs to go to the frontal cortex to reason, it doesn't and instead goes to the parts of the brain that cause physical reactions because this is a SHORTER ROUTE. I still have this after 18 months of not having a panic attack. But you have to catch it knowing what it is doing. This is normal after trauma. But I have learnt to catch these thoughts and reason with them before they get as far as panic. But it takes time.

"This is where a good therapist can teach you coping skills that would help you manage these episodes."

Again - Hat says it right.

#1647 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 26 December 2020 - 08:35 AM

All this aside, I wish you a very Merry Christmas brother. I really hope the good days come back and help you along the way.

#1648 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 01:19 PM

"Here is my struggle right now where my anxiety is coming up. I may be sitting and just relaxing then ill get a tinge in my stomach muscle and immediately i start to panic worried that its something else."

OK - this is where the coping comes in. This happens to me ALL the time, but it is HOW YOU REACT. I was sat at the garage getting my wheels aligned. I knew I would be there for a good 60-90 minutes. I was fine. But then I had a sharp pain in my left temple in my head and before I had and chance to rationalise it, there it was. 

This is because it has been conditioned over many months. Our brains become wired in a way that panic can happen quicker than rationalising it. I don't want to bore you with the science, but it starts in the amygdala and where it needs to go to the frontal cortex to reason, it doesn't and instead goes to the parts of the brain that cause physical reactions because this is a SHORTER ROUTE. I still have this after 18 months of not having a panic attack. But you have to catch it knowing what it is doing. This is normal after trauma. But I have learnt to catch these thoughts and reason with them before they get as far as panic. But it takes time.

"This is where a good therapist can teach you coping skills that would help you manage these episodes."

Again - Hat says it right.

Thank you and its good to hear from you bud. I hope things start to settle down for you as well. I have been trying to treat my anxiety like a friend. Example I was cleaning up around the house today then sat down to take a little break and read something on my phone got up and when I did got a bit dizzy. I noticed my muscles were tense in any case I started to go down the oh crap whats wrong with me path but instead I said to my anxiety nice trick there bud i didn't catch your disguise at first LOL I know its silly but I have been trying to do that yesterday I said to my anxiety you know its Christmas I want to have a good day how bout you give me a little break. Not sure if this is working but something is happening. I appreciate all of the advice you all give. My question/struggle right now is the time how long will I have good days and bad before I am back to good days ? 

#1649 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 26 December 2020 - 01:57 PM

"My question/struggle right now is the time how long will I have good days and bad before I am back to good days ?"

Asking that question will only give you more things to worry about! It will happen when it happens.

But yes - you need to rationalise what happened this time. You sat down after you were standing up for a long time, your muscles were tense and thus the muscles were getting the first dibs on the blood supply. You stood up a little quickly and the blood took a bit longer to reach your head. Would happen to anyone! Simple solution.

If you had taken 10 deep breaths and focused on relaxing your body and then stood up, it wouldn't have happened.

I have an hourly alarm that goes off to remind me to take 10 deep breaths. Stop whatever I am doing and breathe. Its a start....

#1650 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:12 AM

"My question/struggle right now is the time how long will I have good days and bad before I am back to good days ?"

Asking that question will only give you more things to worry about! It will happen when it happens.

But yes - you need to rationalise what happened this time. You sat down after you were standing up for a long time, your muscles were tense and thus the muscles were getting the first dibs on the blood supply. You stood up a little quickly and the blood took a bit longer to reach your head. Would happen to anyone! Simple solution.

If you had taken 10 deep breaths and focused on relaxing your body and then stood up, it wouldn't have happened.

I have an hourly alarm that goes off to remind me to take 10 deep breaths. Stop whatever I am doing and breathe. Its a start....

I ve been reminding myself to take 10 deep breaths each hour so far so good. This is a great exercise. I decided to try half a cup of coffee today as it helps with my ADHD since I'm on such a low dose of Adderall and have no interest in going up. Strangely my anxiety has come down a bit with the coffee is it possible I have been making my anxiety worse by coming off coffee cold turkey ? Weird.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users